Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Beasty wrote: »
    The problem is we do then get accused of directing/dictating content.

Isn't controlling content the point of mods and admins? The question is more how much control ye use. Be honest now, do you think a Muslim, traveller or trans person would feel very comfortable browsing AH for a few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Boards is a cesspool now.

It’s not Boards as a whole.

If you look at the PI forum which is moderated vigorously to a certain standard, you’ll see the vast majority of posts are well thought through, compassionate and helpful.

Debate can be robust in the Politics forum but is generally intelligent and respectful.

AH has gone this way specifically because the Mods have allowed it to, and it has become a really unpleasant environment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

B0jangles wrote:
    This is supposed to be a place where ordinary posters get to give feedback on the forum After Hours, and it is being turned into an exercise in nit-picking and point dodging by some AH moderators. I say that open bigotry is commonplace and tolerated in After Hours, the response is essientially for me to define what bigotry even is before there can be a discussion on whether or not it is occurring in the forum.

Meh, it's really not though. Last few pages have just become an outright attack on moderation, with some 'arbiters of justice' deeming posts unactioned for whatever reason are because the mods of the forum are promoting bigotry.

It's not feedback, it's just ranting. Theres actually a forum for that you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    It’s not Boards as a whole.

If you look at the PI forum which is moderated vigorously to a certain standard, you’ll see the vast majority of posts are well thought through, compassionate and helpful.

Debate can be robust in the Politics forum but is generally intelligent and respectful.

AH has gone this way specifically because the Mods have allowed it to, and it has become a really unpleasant environment.

After hours is supposed to be a bit more fiesty though isn't it?
    Is that not the idea?
    It's where adults argue and abuse each other for various reasons.
    Can't all be boring all in agreement chat between strangers

Poster A: I like Red
    Poster B : I also like Red
    Poster C: I prefer Blue
    Posters A and B : It's ok that you prefer Blue

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

B0jangles wrote:
    After Hours is increasingly turning into an echo chamber for bigots. That's what happens when you operate a hands-off moderating policy - the worst element in any society takes over. I think it can and should be better than this, you clearly disagree.

Its not though, it just suits your point to argue that narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think the best thing is for everyone to agree with me on all points. Then AH is fine :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It will be the biggest and best thread on Boards

Nah it would be an echo.chamber full of like minded.posters who are scared of everything muslim/islam

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Timmy G

B0jangles wrote: »
    As the old saying goes, a fish rots from the head down. If the moderators don't think there's a more fundamental problem than the occasional troll/rereg, then there really isn't any point reporting posts. How anyone could read through that thread and think there were only a couple of bad posts is beyond me.

The end result of allowing every point of view, not matter how racist or bigoted (as long as you don't Attack a Poster) is not that you get a mixture of all viewpoints, as is the regularly cited intention, it's that the worst element takes over because everyone else just leaves. Like, why would anyone who is one of the more popular After Hours target groups post on Boards? How could they possibly feel that it was a community to which they could ever belong?

<snip>

Please note you must be a member on the site for 3 months and have a minimum postcount of 100 before you can post in Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is that not the idea?

Posters A and B are communist and therefore part of the left wing agenda to destroy the fabric of society in this country. :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

<snip>

Its when a thread on one subject gets hijacked by the usual bigots that pìsses me off.

• Advertisement

Is that not the idea?

You can have a healthy and robust debate without is descending into the hatefest so many AH threads do.

Also, the “interview the person below you” and “trivial things that annoy you/ make you happy” are among the most pleasant threads to participate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Baffling to think that a thread about such an attack can be completely derailed into a thread about Muslims without any evidence for it, and the mods seem to think there is simply nothing they can do about it.

Mod warnings to drop irrelevant sidetracks have been around forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Reported many posts and nothing done, in the meanwhile i get carded for telling a poster he bores me!

Then they wonder why the site bleeds posters, the trolls have been allowed take over.

There’s a certain cadre of posters that are allowed throw abuse around like confetti - yet never see a hint of mod action
    Special rules depending on who is involved

I think the best thing is for everyone to agree with me on all points. Then AH is fine

I agree with this man :)

Timmy G wrote: »
    <snip>

You are being asked to abide by the rules of the forum.

Necro wrote: »
    I agree with this man :)

I dont!!!! :mad:

Rabble rabble rabble

Timmy G wrote:
    <snip>

Here's the over riding point for me. There's stuff I don't like on forums on Boards, I tend to just, oh... you know...

Not read it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MrFresh wrote: »
    Isn't controlling content the point of mods and admins?
    Absolutely not

We may get accused of it, but it does not happen

Users dictate content. Mods are there to keep discussion civil, and deal with anything contravening site or forum rules

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

osarusan wrote: »
    Baffling to think that a thread about such an attack can be completely derailed into a thread about Muslims without any evidence for it, and the mods seem to think there is simply nothing they can do about it.

Mod warnings to drop irrelevant sidetracks have been around forever.

Funnily enough the same thing here. But in reverse :confused:

Absolutely not

Users dictate content. Mods are there to keep discussion civil, and deal with anything contravening site or forum rules

Any chance someone can go to the thread about the women being attacked and get that back on topic so? Why it's been allowed to be hijacked by the "arrrrgh islam" crowd is baffling to be honest.

• Advertisement

Any chance someone can go to the thread about the women being attacked and get that back on topic so? Why it's been allowed to be hijacked by the "arrrrgh islam" crowd is baffling to be honest.

Atrocious

Atrocious

It really is, thats why i am requesting mod/admin intervention.

It really is, thats why i am requesting mod/admin intervention.

Have you tried writing to them? A good stern letter perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

New account - check
    Using words such as Liberals, Safe space, snowflake or safe space -check

Under my reign of terror that would be a 10 year ban. I'd have After Hours fixed in one week. Still think you need to implement a 50 post count and minimum 3 months of posting before allowing to post in AH.

However I know boards is in trouble so they will let anyone post these days hence driving other posters away

Absolutely not

If that is truly how you see the Mods’ roles, you must see that they are failing to keep discussion civil in AH.

Have you tried writing to them? A good stern letter perhaps

Why would i need to? In case you haven't noticed they do read/take part in this here thread.

KikiLaRue wrote:
    If that is truly how you see the Mods’ roles, you must see that they are failing to keep discussion civil in AH.

Have you ever thought that they may simply be overworked given the volume of posts in AH?

It's not like it's a paid position or anything.

RasTa wrote: »
    New account - check

Under my reign of terror that would be a 10 year ban. I'd have After Hours fixed in one week. Still think you need to implement a 50 post count and minimum 3 months of posting before allowing to post in AH.

However I know boards is in trouble so they will let anyone post these days hence driving other posters away

This is a really straightforward way of cutting out a lot of the BS.

Even 20 to post in AH and 50 to start threads.

RasTa wrote: »
    New account - check

Good point also ban those who start calling people Alt right,Nazi, racist, facist and trump lover.

We would fix it together in no time.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Have you ever thought that they may simply be overworked given the volume of posts in AH?

It's not like it's a paid position or anything.

I can totally see that it’s a thankless, voluntary unpaid role - there are solutions for that too. Appoint more Mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement