Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Really daft decision to merge the threads, two entirely separate issues and it's a really crap way to shut down a conversation that obviously made you uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It would be nice if an Admin took a look at this.
    I understand that this thread cannot now be un/de-merged at this stage, but it may show bias, which should not exist in the moderation of these types of threads.
    We, as in royal we, understand that there is reticent by Boards AH mods to not allow the discussion of anything that relates negatively to the new residents in our State, but it really should not be a taboo subject.

As a matter of fairness, the merging of these two diverse threads should be discussed at an admin/business level.
    All we are asking for is impartially.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kivaro wrote: »

As a matter of fairness, the merging of these two diverse threads should be discussed at an admin/business level.
    All we are asking for is impartially.
    Just on this point, we have always adopted a hands-off approach except when there are specific issues we feel we need to deal with at site level. Imagine the outcry if we left ourselves open to accusations of censoring or indeed directing debate. We get accused of that already, but it simply does not happen

On the specifics of these two threads, I've not been actively involved in either. I may have dipped into the Gangland Shootings one in the past, but not over the past month or so

I've actually had some major real life issues going on this week, and have certainly not had time to look at anything beyond dealing with some of the regular re-reg trolls and a DRP. I'm heading out now, and will be travelling tomorrow not getting back until Tuesday evening. Other Admins may get a chance to have a look, and indeed I may get some time as I'm sitting on a ferry tomorrow afternoon. but if you want dedicated Admin attention it is likely to take some time for any of us not close to the underlying threads to get up to speed

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hope all is OK Beasty. Safe travels.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In relation to the merge, before it happened I couldn't tell which thread I was looking at as they were both talking about the same things.

I think that the natural thing to do was merge to keep a single conversation. The started out as different topics but have circled in on the same discussion.

• Advertisement

The gangland shooting thread had nothing in common with the other thread (which I don’t read). I clicked into the thread to see a few pages of posts to read, thought something big had happened like another shooting. But I had to trawl through numerous posts about weed and even a post saying everyone is growing their own! It was a confused mess. I still dunno what those posts have to do with organised crime.

I seriously thought there was a glitch in the system. It was a ridiculous merge. Would it not have been easier to warn the other thread to get back on topic? You could have directed anyone that wanted to discuss the shootings to the gangland thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pretty much this
    Ridiculous thread merging.

Gangs of youths acting the bollox ≠ gangs of criminals shooting each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I would like to see examples from the last day and a half (according to Nosnon) where these two threads could not be distinguished.
    I cannot recall posts about gangland shooters and their identities on the youth gangs thread.

Beasty, thank you for responding. Your opinion is highly respected by many of us.
    Hope everything works out for you in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

MrFresh wrote: »
    A user can edit their posts within a certain time limit without any indication of it appearing to others. I don't believe even admins can see when this happens.

Yeah I know that, but a user can't edit another users posts, which is what your one was seemingly suggesting I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Absolutely baffled by the impunity one particular regular AH poster seems to enjoy.

Sneers and insults and winding up non stop. They get banned all right, but short-term, and then straight back to their original m.o. Just ****ting all over threads (metaphorically; I'm not talking about the poo threads, which I find much more enjoyable!)

• Advertisement

He's an absolute buffoon. No idea of how to respond to any confrontational post without throwing the toys out of the pram and causing a scene.

He's going to die of embarrassment if he ever looks back at these posts when he grows up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Absolutely baffled by the impunity one particular regular AH poster seems to enjoy.

Sneers and insults and winding up non stop. They get banned all right, but short-term, and then straight back to their original m.o. Just ****ting all over threads (metaphorically; I'm not talking about the poo threads, which I find much more enjoyable!)
    He's an absolute buffoon. No idea of how to respond to any confrontational post without throwing the toys out of the pram and causing a scene.

He's going to die of embarrassment if he ever looks back at these posts when he grows up.
    This is not the place to discuss individual (albeit unnamed) posters. Can we therefore move away from discussing individuals like this

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Beasty wrote:
    This is not the place to discuss individual (albeit unnamed) posters. Can we therefore move away from discussing individuals like this

Can I ask, where is that place? Genuine question. Reporting posts doesn't seem to make any difference? (Speaking generally here, I've no idea who the previous posters are referring to.)

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Can I ask, where is that place? Genuine question. Reporting posts doesn't seem to make any difference? (Speaking generally here, I've no idea who the previous posters are referring to.)
    It's a matter of speaking to local mods initially, and if not satisfied then speaking to CMods. After that any complaints are dealt with in the Help Desk forum where Admins and/or Office staff can get involved

I would discourage anyone from naming anyone they are complaining about openly - it's unfair to have a discussion taking place about you in an open forum possibly without your knowledge. Replies (not the Opening Post) in Help Desk are pre-moderated allowing posters to relay confidential information which can be left unapproved. Only Office Staff, all Admins and Mods/CMods with responsibility for Help Desk can see unapproved posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Beasty wrote: »

Thanks
    Reporting is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I see a few more threads dumped in the "Cafe" from AH to wither and die. If they were to be moved anywhere (and personally I don't think they should be), surely politics would be the better option, given the small numbers that use the "cafe".

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Odhinn wrote: »
    I see a few more threads dumped in the "Cafe" from AH to wither and die. If they were to be moved anywhere (and personally I don't think they should be), surely politics would be the better option, given the small numbers that use the "cafe".

There are probably a bunch of posts in an AH thread which violate the Politics Charter, but not that of the Cafe.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There are probably a bunch of posts in an AH thread which violate the Politics Charter, but not that of the Cafe.

Probably, but given that as of this post there are 10 people looking at the cafe and 110 at the politics forum, it's the equivalent of taking them out and shooting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Probably, but given that as of this post there are 10 people looking at the cafe and 110 at the politics forum, it's the equivalent of taking them out and shooting them.

So get more people to look at the cafe?

Just because one forum has higher traffic than another is not a reason for you to post in that forum...

dulpit wrote: »
    So get more people to look at the cafe?

Just because one forum has higher traffic than another is not a reason for you to post in that forum...

With a poster count that low, its the equivalent of talking to yourself. Facts are that there's far fewer posting on boards generally, and dragging off a thread thats gone to over 800 posts on a lively forum and dumping it in a long failed experiment is self defeating at best. If its going to be moved (and I don't think any should have been) it might at least be put somewhere where the conversation might continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

With a poster count that low, its the equivalent of talking to yourself. Facts are that there's far fewer posting on boards generally, and dragging off a thread thats gone to over 800 posts on a lively forum and dumping it in a long failed experiment is self defeating at best. If its going to be moved (and I don't think any should have been) it might at least be put somewhere where the conversation might continue.

It seems.like they look at which threads are doing well then move them to P.C in the hope people will sign up and continue posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Well then the Politics Cafe should be fixed/merged/whatever. I don't know why you keep thinking After Hours mods are responsible for a forum we don't moderate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

All politics threads should be moved to the cafe as AH is not the place for them. There are obviously grey areas as to what is politics or not but in a general sense this is what should happen.

Well then the Politics Cafe should be fixed/merged/whatever. I don't know why you keep thinking After Hours mods are responsible for a forum we don't moderate.

were After Hours mods responsible for moving the threads is i guess the question

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

were After Hours mods responsible for moving the threads is i guess the question

From AH?? Yes of course as this is what they are meant to do.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    From AH?? Yes of course as this is what they are meant to do.

then the airy comment about wondering why its been raised as an AH problem is a bit of a cheeky evasion tbh, you dont think?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think he more meant that it's not the AH mods' job to increase footfall in the Cafe

then the airy comment about wondering why its been raised as an AH problem is a bit of a cheeky evasion tbh, you dont think?

The complaint was that the cafe is a ghost town. That is not the fault of the AH mods. PC was set up to take politics threads from AH. If people are interested in the topics they can discuss them at will in PC.
    There are numerous threads moved to more appropriate forums across boards (soccer threads for example). This is one of the jobs the mods do.
    A decision was taken long ago that politics threads should not be in AH. That is not going to change. So those that want light hearted politics chat can go to PC or for heavier chat goto politics.

Personally I cannot see the point of having 2 politics forums but it is none of my business as I don't post in or moderate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's not an AH problem though, that's my point. There's nothing to evade. Politics does not belong in AH, if there's a problem with the destination forum (and I agree that there is) then raise it with that forum, not AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's not an AH problem though, that's my point. There's nothing to evade. Politics does not belong in AH, if there's a problem with the destination forum (and I agree that there is) then raise it with that forum, not AH.

This. This. This.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement