Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A decision was taken long ago that politics threads should not be in AH. That is not going to change.

this is i guess the nub of it.

start a thread in AH.

have it moved somewhere nobody wants to go.

ask about in as an AH issue

it isnt an AH issue.

rinse, repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Start a thread about pokemon in the gardening forum.

Thread moved to pokemon forum.

Complain about it in gardening issues thread

It isn't a gardening issue

Rinse and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if political threads in ah being a no no isn't going to change, and presumably that is on the feedback of the userbase, then the moderation is seriously going to have to do better in moving them earlier. it's not as if there aren't plenty to do it, so why we are having cases of long threads suddenly being shunted off to pc when there is still discussion going on is a mystery and i personally see no reason for that given the amount of mods on the forum. it should not be left to the 1 mod to do it all, in some cases a long time after the thread is opened.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It's not an AH problem though, that's my point. There's nothing to evade. Politics does not belong in AH, if there's a problem with the destination forum (and I agree that there is) then raise it with that forum, not AH.

I'm inclined to favour that but there seems to be threads that remain in after hours for a long time before moving to politics cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

batgoat wrote: »
    I'm inclined to favour that but there seems to be threads that remain in after hours for a long time before moving to politics cafe.

That's a fair complaint, we've been a bit complacent in that regard. Sometimes we err back and forth whether something is pure politics, or whether it's "big" enough to keep for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Or perhaps the threads fulfil a function? And when they have fulfilled that function they are shunted off. Without ''political'' threads, as in threads that have a bite, something current, contentious, something worth checking out, the front page of Boards would be a fairly lame medley of boring whimsy.
    Maybe the agitation that so-called political threads (ie current affairs threads really, to be honest) cause AH mods is just the agitation that makes a lot of people have any interest in Boards at all?

Zorya wrote: »
    Or perhaps the threads fulfil a function? And when they have fulfilled that function they are shunted off. Without ''political'' threads, as in threads that have a bite, something current, contentious, something worth checking out, the front page of Boards would be a fairly lame medley of boring whimsy.
    Maybe the agitation that so-called political threads (ie current affairs threads really, to be honest) cause AH mods is just the agitation that makes a lot of people have any interest in Boards at all?

AH isn't the front page. Why would they disappear off the front page (if PC functioned correctly that is)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

AH isn't the front page. Why would they disappear off the front page (if PC functioned correctly that is)?

The conjunction answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Well then the Politics Cafe should be fixed/merged/whatever. I don't know why you keep thinking After Hours mods are responsible for a forum we don't moderate.

I've never said you were. The fact is the cafe is a place where threads go to die, and it detracts from AH when a lively thread is essentially dragged off and shot.

pawwed rig wrote:
    If people are interested in the topics they can discuss them at will in PC.

People are interested in the topic, but evidently have no wish to discuss it in the cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Baggly wrote: »
    Start a thread about pokemon in the gardening forum.

Thread moved to pokemon forum.

Complain about it in gardening issues thread

It isn't a gardening issue

Rinse and repeat

fair point in general. however i think what makes things different here is that political threads have been part of the forum for years with many users not knowing anything different as it is how it has always been since they have joined the site, with the solution that should have been to deal with those threads now essentially being a locked down ghost town where hardly anyone wants to post, or many can't as they don't have access and aren't going to request it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Odhinn wrote: »
    I've never said you were. The fact is the cafe is a place where threads go to die, and it detracts from AH when a lively thread is essentially dragged off and shot.

People are interested in the topic, but evidently have no wish to discuss it in the cafe.

Because there is a higher standard required I suppose.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Because there is a higher standard required I suppose.

...in the cafe? Not as far as I'm aware. Politics forum there is, but I'd say threads have some chance of carrying on there due to the numbers posting. In any event leaving a thread to get a few hundred posts before deciding to fire it off yonder hurts AH.

I'd argue that the threads mere existence detracts from AH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can't see how there is a difference where something is discussed tbh

Anyway feedback taken with respect to moving threads more quickly.

I would point out though that threads can grow quite large in AH in a very short period of time and mods are not always available so if you all could help by reporting the opening post of any thread that is better situated in PC then that would be greatly appreciated and will allow the mods to action them quicker.

I'd argue that the threads mere existence detracts from AH.

How so?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How so?
    I would certainly think partly because it encourages those wanting discussion of political issues in a forum that was never really designed for such discussion. As already pointed out Politics Cafe was created to take these threads away from AH

I know we've been talking about a new Current Affairs type forum for some time. When it gets mentioned we find a large number of posters think it's a good idea but similar numbers are against it

I think we need to revisit that as we've been prevaracating way too long on the idea

You need to roll back on the restrictions that were placed on posting in PC. A good chunk of posters, if they didn’t have to get permission to post first, wouldn’t even notice that the thread had been moved. They’d continue posting away.

The charter should probably be reviewed too. Irish water flowed out into the ocean a long time ago now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You need to roll back on the restrictions that were placed on posting in PC. A good chunk of posters, if they didn’t have to get permission to post first, wouldn’t even notice that the thread had been moved. They’d continue posting away.

The charter should probably be reviewed too. Irish water flowed out into the ocean a long time ago now.

What are you referring to in the charter about irish water?

Stheno wrote: »
    What are you referring to in the charter about irish water?

Wasn’t all the bans, infractions and changes to the cafe made around the time of the Irish Water protests?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wasn’t all the bans, infractions and changes to the cafe made around the time of the Irish Water protests?

The charter doesn't refer to it

• Advertisement

You’re missing the point. N’ermind.

Back to forum games for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Beasty wrote: »

I think we need to revisit that as we've been prevaracating way too long on the idea

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That's a fair complaint, we've been a bit complacent in that regard. Sometimes we err back and forth whether something is pure politics, or whether it's "big" enough to keep for a while.

So you just openly admitted some political threads are ok if they are big enough, why only follow the rules sometimes?, that makes it even worse.

Some threads transcend politics due to their important to Irish life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Baggly wrote: »
    Some threads transcend politics due to their important to Irish life.

Bullshìt! If you move one then you move all! You dont wait a few week till the threadhas several hundred posts.

Bullshìt! If you move one then you move all! You dont wait a few week till the threadhas several hundred posts.

Agree to disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The changes that were made to the PC had no direct connection to Irish Water. The changes were made because it was broadly felt that the standard of posting & discourse had led to it becoming a cesspit. The final straw was when a post appeared about firebombing a direct provision centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The only way an AH style PC forum would work would be if it had the kind of moderation that AH has, which would mean that it would then be the cesspool. Otherwise it would just be another politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Rule 1 of AH, Don't be a dick (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057770394). First thread I saw on homepage: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110351893, being a dick about travellers yet again (typical AH).

Surely something more stringent can be done here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:
    how does that fall foul of the rule?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement