Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple MacBook Pro 2017 13 Inch i5 8GB 256GB Silver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    I wouldn't. Pay at the self service and see how it goes

Personally I wouldn't ring or draw any attention to yourself, because it is almost definitely an error. Head straight for the self-service. It will be annoying to possibly spend a couple of hours and return with nothing but calling them is the most likely way to not get the laptop

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've got a reservation number but have to travel an hour to get it. Should I ring beforehand to save a wasted trip if it's an error?

Definitely not.

Turn up, pay at the kiosk and if the lad or lady at the collection point hand you the laptop, blow town.

Hour's drive or not, that's a risk worth taking in my view.

Has anyone just gone straight into Argos and tried to order/pay for the item at the self service kiosk? Might be worth a try if you had an outlet close to you.

Fair dues to anyone who got one. I ordered soon after i saw this thread yesterday morning, got the email but no code, and telling me it was out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Has anyone just gone straight into Argos and tried to order/pay for the item at the self service kiosk? Might be worth a try if you had an outlet close to you.

Fair dues to anyone who got one. I ordered soon after i saw this thread yesterday morning, got the email but no code, and telling me it was out of stock.

I am terrified that my 800 quid will be gone and they'll call me on it afterwards. At least if I go to a person they might knock me back before I spend the money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I've got a reservation number but have to travel an hour to get it. Should I ring beforehand to save a wasted trip if it's an error?

Give me code and ill drive an hour...:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am terrified that my 800 quid will be gone and they'll call me on it afterwards. At least if I go to a person they might knock me back before I spend the money

I imagine they'd refund you the 800

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Stheno wrote: »
    I imagine they'd refund you the 800

Not immediately though. It'd be a few working days before the refund was processed and it's a lot of money to be without for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

You will get a receipt and get a collection number. The order picker wont know what you paid. They just pick it from the back and give it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'll take the code if you're not going to use it. Ringing them or asking in store is one sure way of not getting the laptop

These are on Amazon priced @ €1485.

So still unclear if this is an error or stock clearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It is 100% an error. Apple products don't fall to these prices for stock clearances. Even second hand you wouldn't pick this up for that kind of money.

What store is it for? Do they have it in stock ready to collect? As most stores only had order for collection which gives you a reservation number etc along with the date it will be in store by

It is 100% an error. Apple products don't fall to these prices for stock clearances. Even second hand you wouldn't pick this up for that kind of money.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Apple sometimes do stock clearance via third parties to keep their premium appearance.

That's why I am asking.

I suppose it'll all become clearer as the week goes on.

I'll know by Wed, but like others I'll be driving best part of an hour to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I went into a store today, tried to order on the machines inside. I was given an error message and told to ask a member of staff for help. I did that and got what seemed like a very rehearsed answer that it was the 2017 model that has now been sold out and won't me coming back in. She looked at me like she knew what I was at so I don't know if that means Argos is now aware of the issue and that is what they were advised to say or I wasn't the first person to come into that store and try the same and she figured this is the answer that will get rid of me (which it did) Either way I know it was bs and im fully expecting them to come back into stock at the normal price

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There were problems with the Argos website on Friday night for a while, so it wouldn't surprise me if it’s a system glitch, and there web team haven’t fixed it yet. Even for an older model you wouldn’t get 50% off. That’s cheaper than Apple would do a refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

whiterebel wrote: »
    There were problems with the Argos website on Friday night for a while, so it wouldn't surprise me if it’s a system glitch, and there web team haven’t fixed it yet. Even for an older model you wouldn’t get 50% off. That’s cheaper than Apple would do a refurb.

I was told in-store yesterday (two different branches) that there was a new catalogue gone live. Maybe it's a glitch related to that or maybe really is a clearance item. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 anniehilate

I went into a store today, tried to order on the machines inside. I was given an error message and told to ask a member of staff for help. I did that and got what seemed like a very rehearsed answer that it was the 2017 model that has now been sold out and won't me coming back in. She looked at me like she knew what I was at so I don't know if that means Argos is now aware of the issue and that is what they were advised to say or I wasn't the first person to come into that store and try the same and she figured this is the answer that will get rid of me (which it did) Either way I know it was bs and im fully expecting them to come back into stock at the normal price

A friend just tried the same thing in the St. Stephen's green store and got the same message, he had a slightly more helpful person who said that you should be able to order one into a store from the website if any become available. They said that they weren't going to be taking numbers etc. or organising any kind of waitlist, so the only way to try to get one is to keep checking back online in case reserved ones aren't collected. She also didn't say that it wouldn't be coming back in.

They also didn't mention a thing about the price and it being a mistake, which I'm sure they would have if they were aware of the error

ETA: Apparently the person he was talking to barely knew it was a laptop, so take this with a grain of salt :pac:

That error was because they didnt have stock in store / available to order it in. I was walking by an Argos today so tried it just incase got same error as it is now out of stock and cant be ordered.

If you have a reservation and get a ready for collection text it should be fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did you have a reservation code?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

No, like others here I tried to reserve one but got no code in the email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Got a text message from Argos at 09:15 saying my MacBook was ready for collection in Carlow.

Got a phone call from Argos Carlow at 10:30 to tell me that it was a price error and that the actual price was 1799 :(

Keep an eye on this thread to see how others get on. It would be the first time I remember Argos not honouring this type of thing. I remember a laptop that was supposed to be around 1k marked at 299 and they honoured the price for anyone who got a reservation number sometime last year. The very odd store rang customers though telling them it was a misprice while others were collecting it no problem. As someone mentioned in the thread this could be an employee trying to snap the deal up for themselves. I would kick up a fuss if other people start getting the deal honoured.

Hold the horse though till we see how it plays out for others :P

I think you said you got a code didn't you? When's collection date? Hopeful?

I didn't pay anything. I just reserved- you pay in store. But didn't get the reservation code. It's the code that will give you the PC (hopefully)

Reducing it by 400 euro would be still be a good BA- no, this is an obviously mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

spyderski wrote: »
    Have you ANY idea of the margin on these things? at €1799 the retailer is making around €80-100 profit. How does anyone think they'll price match? Or for that matter that this is anything other than a pricing error?

Yeah, sorry for being stupid.

I forgot that no shop ever has sold anything at below cost for any reason. Or ever made a pricing mistake that was honored.

Picked up laptop...

Reserved it around 7am this morning for liffey Valley - there were very few places with it in actual stock.

Paid at the kiosk. Picked it up from collection point no hassle- it's great because it comes in a plain brown box. Walked out a happy camper.

Whether they honour the other reservations for later collection I don't know!

So Are you enjoying your new laptop?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Yeah, sorry for being stupid.

I forgot that no shop ever has sold anything at below cost for any reason. Or ever made a pricing mistake that was honored.

Stupid and forgetful, winning combo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

Stupid and forgetful, winning combo

Better than being stupid and missing any sense of irony I suppose ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

iHungry wrote: »
    It's not an error it's the price.

Of course it’s an error. And a big one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

This is like the picture of the dress where it was 'Gold or Blue'. Except it's 'Error or Price'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement