Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just graupel now here near roundwood. I'm measuring 8cm. The main kilmac - laragh road not looking great for the morning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just graupel now here near roundwood. I'm measuring 8cm. The main kilmac - laragh road not looking great for the morning either.

Sorry this is off topic but have to share..

I'd never heard of Roundwood until the last couple of days reading your updates on here and then tonight on that finance show on rte .. Rachel's dog grooming place. Where is it.. Roundwood lol isnt that weird how that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Sorry this is off topic but have to share..

I'd never heard of Roundwood until the last couple of days reading your updates on here and then tonight on that finance show on rte .. Rachel's dog grooming place. Where is it.. Roundwood lol isnt that weird how that happens.

Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Any predictions for Galway city? I work there so praying the roads are ok for tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. Not too long into my job and due to no internet at home, can't work from home, so as much as I love the snow I'm hoping it stays well away and doesn't freeze in the next few days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Any predictions for Galway city? I work there so praying the roads are ok for tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. Not too long into my job and due to no internet at home, can't work from home, so as much as I love the snow I'm hoping it stays well away and doesn't freeze in the next few days :P

Be fine . The front is clearing now leaving for a dry night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Accurately describes this whole winter really. The weather equivalent of spitting in your eye.

This winter has basically finished off my interest in weather. Time and time again we look for something in the charts that might throw something of interest our way, and 99.9% of the time we end up getting the same old same old.

Apart from yesterday morning, which was oddly glorious, there has not been one single redeeming feature of Winter 2018/2019 that I can recall. Looking back at what has been so far. it just seems like one long, white grey, dank journey; looking ahead, a similar fate all but awaits. Maybe this Winter has made realise something that perhaps I was in part denial of up to now, and that is, for the keen weather enthusiast, the Irish climate is about as crap and uninteresting as any climate can possibly get.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Snowline is just below Hacketstown with nice covering in Knockananna and some small drifts at the gateways further on.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1091097380554981377?s=21

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1091092212052574210?s=21

Winter tyres and 4WD FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This winter has basically finished off my interest in weather. Time and time again we look for something in the charts that might throw something of interest our way, and 99.9% of the time we end up getting the same old same old.

Apart from yesterday morning, which was oddly glorious, there has not been one single redeeming feature of Winter 2018/2019 that I can recall. Looking back at what has been so far. it just seems like one long, white grey, dank journey; looking ahead, a similar fate all but awaits. Maybe this Winter has made realise something that perhaps I was in part denial of up to now, and that is, for the keen weather enthusiast, the Irish climate is about as crap and uninteresting as any climate can possibly get.
    We have a maritime climate and slap bang in the way of the Gulf Stream so our climate is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Just like the Irish soccer team these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Just out for the evening walk with the dog in North Kildare. A light flurry still coming down but in the 30 minutes I was out walking, roads and pavements went from being very wet to beginning to freeze over. My car is now completely iced over. Thought it was just water on it but no, it's frozen solid. Driving should be interesting tomorrow, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

still snowing in north kilkenny,sticking to the grass.but not sticking on the road to wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

tonight wont be very interesting in Cork City. Too warm for any ice to form, the sky is clouded over so it wouldnt form anyway and the snow looks to be staying just north of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kumehowob

200motels wrote: »
    We have a maritime climate and slap bang in the way of the Gulf Stream so our climate is normal.

Id love to see the Gulf Stream die due to global warming in my lifetime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few hours to go before cloud cover moves S bringing down the Temperatures, Met Eireann saying as low as -5C in the Northern half of the country . Very icy roads in the morning. Winds going N'ly tomorrow and picking up during the day giving a fair wind chill by evening.

2.9C in Tralee, nearly got to freezing but the breeze picked up brining it up again.

9FcU5j0.jpg

temp_uk_zgu8.png

nmm_uk1-32-12-4_jcx1.png

anim_wqu8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Pity, you have contributed around here a long time.
    I dont agree the climate is uninteresting, i mean we get all sorts here!
    But yes, hard to argue that most times these snow events dont work out.
    I said years ago on here..........chasing snow in Ireland would break your bloody heart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

kumehowob wrote: »

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Pity, you have contributed around here a long time.
    I dont agree the climate is uninteresting, i mean we get all sorts here!
    But yes, hard to argue that most times these snow events dont work out.
    I said years ago on here..........chasing snow in Ireland would break your bloody heart

Isn’t the chase the fun part though? That and the rareness of it. If it happened regularly the novelty would soon wear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It’s the expectation that kills you. In the last 12 months we’ve had plenty of interesting weather and model watching. Yes this winter hasn’t had the weather winter lovers crave but thems the breaks- a month of winter to go. Always more chance of winter weather closer to Easter than Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kumehowob

sideswipe wrote: »
    Wow

I don't mean it in a bad way. I'd prefer if global warming didn't happen at all but if it is going to happen id love one of the consequences to be the death of the gulf stream and far more extreme temperatures for us here in Ireland !

Sleet now near Mallow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

sideswipe wrote: »
    Wow

I don't mean it in a bad way. I'd prefer if global warming didn't happen at all but if it is going to happen id love one of the consequences to be the death of the gulf stream and far more extreme temperatures for us here in Ireland !
    Bricklined_privy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Left Dublin at 1830 and arrived in Kerry at 2215.
    Sleet, rain and dry on the trip down.
    It was a grand drive.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I don’t think you would, green Ireland would not be green anymore. We have a wonderful climate really, rarely too warm and rarely too cold.

And I'm sure people in Siberia and Canada are hoping that global warming might bring them a climate like Irelands.
    So far this winter has been a peach. Fingers crossed that we dont get a repeat of last years late 'white gold'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1.0c and Dewpoint of 0.0c.

Snow, but small flakes and not sticking yet. Light enough.

South Laois 89m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Flicking through the regionals on Netweather and more and more starting to see accumulations. A real slow burner there as it looked like the front was going to slide through the channel for abit.

Time for bed! Hopefully some in SE and Midlands where heavier precip remains are seeing some snowfall (high ground most likely). Really don't see the Irish sea doing much for Dublin even in terms of precip...I always had thought when fronts are around they act as quenchers almost to your lake effect esque developments.

Heres to the next barely there risque du neige this miserable winter has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Snowing properly here now near Arklow

1.3c
    Dp -0.7c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I agree the Winter so far bearing in mind we have 1 month left has been bland but since Ophelia in October 2017 we have had many notable events. Historic snow storms in March 2018, A drought and heatwave in Summer 2018. Also Thunderstorms, floods and storms. Hardly boring or uninteresting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

2018 was probably my favourite year for weather (if we could ignore November and December).

As for 2019, well I hope Spring, Summer and Autumn provide something a bit more enjoyable and interesting than this winter has. Spring still has the potential to be interesting this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The model soundings have been pretty bang on over the past few days, always showing the marginal setup that has transpired. The precipitation type charts have been pretty useless if you're looking for proper snow. They give an indication that the snowline is lowering, but are no guarantee that it will be low enough. Then we see the pink radar earlier showing extensive area of snow were there was actually an extensive area of rain.

This has been another example of the futility of chasing a northwesterly. Fine, a few convective showers gave a dusting the other day, but invariably the moisture flux over the long sea track does us in time and time again. I get grief from one or two members in the west when I point this out but it is how it is. Basing hopes on flawed charts leads to chasing of tails. Roll on an easterly or northeasterly, where the flawed charts may actually be right for once.

By the way, the GFS P seems not much better than its senile older brother, sharing the same cold bias that seems to run in that family.

Advertisement