Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

When that word is mentioned in the weather forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Ok what happened over night must have been a downgrade of some sort, even Mt forecast has back tracked quite a bit.

Will someone tell the two kids to grow up, it's like a kindergarten in here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Do I need to buy 5 bread or no bread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Buy 2 and one of those half pans, you be covered either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jaysus there's been alot of drama over the past 12 hours.

Will there be a red warning? No, definitely not, absurdity to think so! Will there be widespread snow? Quite possibly, but I doubt we'll really know until said precipitation actually falls. Models like the HIRLAM, ICON and ECM all suggesting snow makes me much more confidence, you watch the GFS for fun, if those other three hop on board you know there's something amiss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

MT's forecast is a downgrade. Very much not in line to what it was yesterday. Yet Met Eireann seem to be sticking to their prediction of widespread snow this week. Unusual to hear Gerry being bullish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Ireland

Very cold this week with scattered wintry showers, frequent across the southwest, west and north. Some accumulations of snow are expected. There will be widespread frost at night with icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

There is the possibility of a more significant spell of sleet/snow on Thursday.

This warning will be updated at 10am on Tuesday 29th January.

Issued: Monday 28 January 2019 09:00

Updated: Monday 28 January 2019 09:00

Valid from Tuesday 29 January 2019 06:00 to Saturday 02 February 2019 18:00

MT's forecast is a downgrade. Very much not in line to what it was yesterday. Yet Met Eireann seem to be sticking to their prediction of widespread snow this week. Unusual to hear Gerry being bullish.

And we reading the same forecast? I see very little difference between the two.

On a very interesting note, MÉ's hourly forecast is showing sleet and snow at my location on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

Very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I still have a few in the freezer from last Tuesday - be grand :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ZX7R wrote: »
    Ok what happened over night must have been a downgrade of some sort, even Mt forecast has back tracked quite a bit.

Will someone tell the two kids to grow up, it's like a kindergarten in here

I thought of offering them swords or pistols ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Ireland

Very cold this week with scattered wintry showers, frequent across the southwest, west and north. Some accumulations of snow are expected. There will be widespread frost at night with icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

There is the possibility of a more significant spell of sleet/snow on Thursday.

This warning will be updated at 10am on Tuesday 29th January.

Issued: Monday 28 January 2019 09:00

Updated: Monday 28 January 2019 09:00

Valid from Tuesday 29 January 2019 06:00 to Saturday 02 February 2019 18:00

Could be an Amber warning for Thursday based on that. Will have a better idea I think after tomorrow where snow may fall.

Cold fingers just lost me a whole post... grrr

Massive dark blue clouds swept in low across the Atlantic from the north and deposited a deluge. The path feels slightly crunchy underfoot but nothing visible and the nasty navy clouds have been swept away towards ???Galway??? mountains still covered so cannot yet see if they are whte topped and too ****** cold out there to cloud watch!

The wind came out of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GFS 6Z still showing a 50/50 split for rain and snow on Thursday, mostly rain in east. More snow in west

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes, as per the OP, Orange warnings are a possibility or rather a probability this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A red warning is conceivable for Friday. The front on Thursday will wrap back round and winds will go off shore in the east. Disruption is likely there in moderate to heavy snowfall and that could lead to problems...whether it's a red or not is up to the authorities at the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: I t pains me to have to state this but the forum charter has to be upheld.

Posters who engage in personal attacks , trolling ,goading and being uncivil will incur infractions.

Stay on Topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

bread--696x503.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Graces7 wrote: »
    Cold fingers just lost me a whole post... grrr

Massive dark blue clouds swept in low across the Atlantic from the north and deposited a deluge. The path feels slightly crunchy underfoot but nothing visible and the nasty navy clouds have been swept away towards ???Galway??? mountains still covered so cannot yet see if they are whte topped and too ****** cold out there to cloud watch!

The wind came out of nowhere

Still sunny and calm here in Fanore Co Clare, took a walk on the beach.
    Beautiful swell, glassy sea and not a surfer in sight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Well I've tried in the past but can't make head nor tail of any of the charts, but I enjoy reading the experts opinions. It's great to read the input from you all. Keep up the good work. If I'd known that Gaoth and Kermit were going to have a "difference of opinion" then I'd have made a bowl of popcorn before reading it :D

• Advertisement

dermiek wrote: »
    If I'd known that Gaoth and Kermit were going to have a "difference of opinion" then I'd have made a bowl of popcorn before reading it :D

Wasn't hard to forecast! An optimist and a pessimist will always clash ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Met Éireann have issued 5 day weather warning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

The latest GFS does not inspire much confidence. Perhaps the computers are beginning to get a grasp with the regards to the maritime source of the precipitation on Thursday.

The below expected precipitation intensity and type shows a sloppy mess (at best) for low lying areas.
    anim_nvf3.gif

The corresponding expected snow depths are nothing to write home about and these figures are probably optimistic.

anim_gae1.gif

As for the ICON, that is another major downgrade and is showing very little lying snow anywhere, apart from some higher ground. In addition, the precip is forecast to only get as north as about Meath.

anim_mwj5.gif

anim_xfe4.gif

ECM is looking good for areas south of a line from Galway to Dublin, with large accumulations on high ground/mountains.

Overall, a very messy picture but I think we need upgrades to improve hope of a decent covering for a fair whack the population. I don't hold much up for Dublin/east coast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Met Éireann have issued 5 day weather warning

https://www.met.ie/warnings

21cwp4.png

It is so volatile. Sudden high winds and deluges, then sun and flat calm. A restless unsettled time.

Sun out here now. Cloud banking in now.. The only constant factor is the intense cold

west mayo offshore arctic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Yellow snow is something we should all be warned about :D

........i'll get my coat........its cold out there:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A red warning is conceivable for Friday. The front on Thursday will wrap back round and winds will go off shore in the east. Disruption is likely there in moderate to heavy snowfall and that could lead to problems...whether it's a red or not is up to the authorities at the time.

For the country or a certain region?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The Euro4 is great for a lot of snow tomorrow but other models not so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

It's a bit like 1930s Europe on here this morning. Everyone veering to the left or the right and middle ground democracy lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It’s not looking good lads.

What a sh*t winter it’s been

Advertisement