Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

She was correct about the MSM using these attacks to turn people against each other. It wasn't long ago when the US and Britain were funding extremist groups in Iraq and Syria which grew into ISIS. As the MSM continues use these attacks to divide people, we will be distracted from the plans of our luciferian worshipping controllers.

There's something deeply unwell with this post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭francois

The Nal wrote: »
    Is there a mod deleting posts in this thread?

I think so, I made a rather intemperate remark, probably deserved to be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Gemma does a lot of good work and I agree with her on a lot of things. But I think she's jumped the gun on this one, if you excuse the awful pun. There is not enough evidence to call it a hoax, so I don't think she should have been so quick to call this as a hoax. I've seen the video and it looks legit, there are a few oddities (like him shooting through the front windscreen which does not appear to crack), but not enough to start shouting "hoax".

One thing is for sure though. This event will be used to shut down all reasonable questioning of Islam. And there are questions that need to be asked. We just voted in gay marriage here a few years ago, but on RTE radio the head of the Islamic Cultural Centre in Clonskeagh Ali Selim (i.e. a senior Muslim leader and teacher) said that being gay is a sin, and any gay man should repent and change his ways. How can these two ideologies co-exist? Nobody wants to ask the hard questions, it's ignored by the media. After this shooting anybody asking reasonable questions about Islam will be simply lumped into the same category as the shooter and the debate will shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Gemma does a lot of good work and I agree with her on a lot of things. But I think she's jumped the gun on this one, if you excuse the awful pun. There is not enough evidence to call it a hoax, so I don't think she should have been so quick to call this as a hoax. I've seen the video and it looks legit, there are a few oddities (like him shooting through the front windscreen which does not appear to crack), but not enough to start shouting "hoax".

One thing is for sure though. This event will be used to shut down all reasonable questioning of Islam. And there are questions that need to be asked. We just voted in gay marriage here a few years ago, but on RTE radio the head of the Islamic Cultural Centre in Clonskeagh Ali Selim (i.e. a senior Muslim leader and teacher) said that being gay is a sin, and any gay man should repent and change his ways. How can these two ideologies co-exist? Nobody wants to ask the hard questions, it's ignored by the media. After this shooting anybody asking reasonable questions about Islam will be simply lumped into the same category as the shooter and the debate will shut down.

Um, I don’t know if you’re familiar with Catholicism, the dominant religion here in Ireland, but they also believe being gay is a sin.

What good work would you say Gemma has done lately? Because all I’ve seen her do is tweet conspiracy theories, lob insults at groups she doesn’t like, and then block anyone who points out the fallacies in her theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Gemma does not do 'any' good work anymore. The last time she wrote anything substantial was when she was employed as a MSM journalist!.
    When you say you agree with her "on lots of things" I immediately discount you, as any reasonable person could not agree with any of her stances.
    By the way, the way you throw some doubt on the shooting "there is not enough evidence to call it a hoax" is heading down the false flag route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hasn't this been the belief of the majority of Christian beliefs for centuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Once upon a time Gemma used to be an ok journalist married to a migrant.
    She did some good work highlighting the penalty point issue.
    Its really hard to say what else of her work is good because she has gone so extreme in her hate mongering and a lot of her hate mongering is tin foil hat conspiracy so you would have to question the veracity of her claims about Niall Molloy, Mary Boyle, Veronic Guerin and Sophie Toscan du Plantier.

I dont think she jumped the gun solely on this. I think about 3 or 4 years ago that happened.

The truth is Gemma and Grand Torino are radicalising people to do what was done in Christ Church yesterday.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hasn't this been the belief of the majority of Christian beliefs for centuries?

Yup. "grave sins", "under no circumstances can they be approved".

Homosexual acts weren't decriminalised until 1993 and homosexuality wasn't removed from the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Disorders until the late 70s.

Bloody Muslims.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gman2k wrote: »
    There is a bridge somewhere missing it's troll
    Maybe it's just me, but anytime I see "MSM" used my bull**** detector tends to get real sensitive. I'm not saying the mainstream media in Ireland in particular doesn't regularly enough run with its own particular biases depending on their ownership, but yeah "MSM".... Nope.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Wibbs wrote:
    Maybe it's just me, but anytime I see "MSM" used my bull**** detector tends to get real sensitive. I'm not saying the mainstream media in Ireland in particular doesn't regularly enough run with its own particular biases depending on their ownership, but yeah "MSM".... Nope.

I'm using MSM in an ironic sense, as it was good enough for O'Doherty to take their beans for long enough before they got sick of her sh1t.
    Now she rails against the "MSM" as if it's all controlled by a globalist devil worshipping cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

She's a troll, yes she speaks alot of common sense but then she goes and ruins it all by being a conspiracy theorist and making some disgustingly outlandish claims.

She is positioning herself as Ireland's version of Katie Hopkins and Alex Jones. She's chasing the money and tapping into the hunger for Alt-Right media driven by the MSM going full Marxist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's not like any of the nutjobs are asking reasonable questions. You go online and their entire understanding of Islam comes from memes that were created on 8chan.
    Not of on those fcukers has read any actual books about Islam. None of them have ever talked to a Muslim. They've never visited a muslim country. Their entire knowledge of a group of a billion people is made up of racist caricatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

theguzman wrote: »
    She's a troll, yes she speaks alot of common sense but then she goes and ruins it all by being a conspiracy theorist and making some disgustingly outlandish claims.

She is positioning herself as Ireland's version of Katie Hopkins and Alex Jones. She's chasing the money and tapping into the hunger for Alt-Right media driven by the MSM going full Marxist.

And just like that Gran Torino eejit, as verified by a mod who knows him in real life, it is all likely an act as (to paraphrase game of thrones' fantastic quote on these types) these people would happily watch the world burn if they could profit off the ashes. She and her likes are an absolute cancer on society, and while to be clear I am not calling for her death of violence (her type absolutely feed off of and list after that carry on so they can rush to their reliable old victim card), there really is no denying that the world would be a better place without her, or her counterparts, in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Billy86 wrote: »
    And just like that Gran Torino eejit, as verified by a mod who knows him in real life, it is all likely an act as (to paraphrase game of thrones' fantastic quote on these types) these people would happily watch the world burn if they could profit off the ashes. She and her likes are an absolute cancer on society, and while to be clear I am not calling for her death of violence (her type absolutely feed off of and list after that carry on so they can rush to their reliable old victim card), there really is no denying that the world would be a better place without her, or her counterparts, in it.

The reason these lads exist is because the media is too one sided and only spout out whatever agenda they feel like. I'm not a fan of either her or the Torino guy but the greater question is why they exist, its because the moderate centrist is being hammered by the Left which is feeding directly into the Further Right wing. The Far Left and Far Right love each other because they are each others best recruiter. And then we have Fancy Socks Leo Varadkar and it is no wonder people gravitate towards some other more extremist position.

Grayson wrote: »
    It's not like any of the nutjobs are asking reasonable questions. You go online and their entire understanding of Islam comes from memes that were created on 8chan.
    Not of on those fcukers has read any actual books about Islam. None of them have ever talked to a Muslim. They've never visited a muslim country. Their entire knowledge of a group of a billion people is made up of racist caricatures.

This is so true.

I lived in a Muslim country for years. When people ask me what Muslims are like I always say they were more concerned with what grades their kids were getting in school and how to get them to eat their vegetables than anything else as far as I could see.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    This is so true.

I lived in a Muslim country for years. When people ask me what Muslims are like I always say they were more concerned with what grades their kids were getting in school and how to get them to eat their vegetables than anything else as far as I could see.

That's how I felt in Indonesia, till I went to Banda Aceh which has Sharia Law.. The stares, the police blocking me and my Asian girlfriend till they realised she wasn't local, and overthinking every move like lighting up a cigarette (Ramadan. I don't even know the rules.), I'll never forget. Lovely people, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The reason these lads exist is because the media is too one sided and only spout out whatever agenda they feel like. I'm not a fan of either her or the Torino guy but the greater question is why they exist, its because the moderate centrist is being hammered by the Left which is feeding directly into the Further Right wing. The Far Left and Far Right love each other because they are each others best recruiter. And then we have Fancy Socks Leo Varadkar and it is no wonder people gravitate towards some other more extremist position.
    I don't necessarily buy into that either, otherwise the media would be a constant fawning over AAA-PBP or whatever they're going by this week, but that is far from the case. Thankfully at that, I identify as on the left side of things economically but not to 'magic money tree' economics.

In fact Ireland has done a pretty solid job avoiding this phenomenon, probably in no small part fro being so small (hard to convince a Dub that farmers are fascists, or someone in Leitrim that Dubs are librul elites trying to take their freedumz and replace it with Sharia when they're a 2-3 hour drive from each other and likely have friends/family all over the country).

The problem is often quite the opposite, as the media in places like America is obsessed with giving equal voice to unequal arguments, like having one climate change denying or anti vaccine scientist on to debate one who supports these theories, when in truth it should be one or two anti against 48 or 49 pro ones there, in the interest of fair representation. But that's not going to raise nearly as much controversy or gain as many clicks/views as two people shouting at each other, so they go with the latter even if it gives an inaccurate perception as to expert or public opinion.

The problem there is that media being for profit and private for the most part is not going to be changing its stripes if people keep clicking and viewing, which is why it is so crucial to ensure proper critical thinking faculties across the board so that people can identify spoofers off the bat.

The main stream media is one sided?

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1106705350747738118

That's how I felt in Indonesia, till I went to Banda Aceh which has Sharia Law.. The stares, the police blocking me and my Asian girlfriend till they realised she wasn't local, and overthinking every move like lighting up a cigarette (Ramadan. I don't even know the rules.), I'll never forget. Lovely people, though.
    KikiLaRue wrote: »
    This is so true.

That's the thing. Muslims are people too ;)

All they care about is that their family grow up safe, their kids have a good life and all the same crap that everyone else worries about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

She reminds me of Swedish Ingrid Carlqvist, also a respected mainstream journo that went her own way and now is "unpopular" with the mainstream media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I havent seen Gemma speak any common sense in a long time. Its notable there are some subtle attempts here to try and defend her but nah she is no longer defensible at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

biko wrote: »
    She reminds me of Swedish Ingrid Carlqvist, also a respected mainstream journo that went her own way and now is "unpopular" with the mainstream media

The Holocaust denier ?

1641 wrote: »
    The Holocaust denier ?
    Seems baseless that she denies the holocaust ever took place.
    Sure, you yourself didn't add a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

yes she speaks alot of common sense

Naaaah.

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Didn't the two Gardai in the Mary Boyle doc say she misquoted them?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

The footage is there for anyone to see in the documentary so misquoting doesn't really arise.

It is a compelling documentary and I would still recommend it, albeit in spite of, rather than because of, the fact that it was made by O'Doherty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There’s a thread on the Boyle case in the conspiracy forums, a member of the Boyle family posted regularly and by the sound of things Gemma’s behaviour was pissing them off.

1641 wrote: »
    Both articles references a facebook conversation between Ingrid and some fellow named Bo where Ingrid asked Bo to supply his evidence for the holocaust as Ingrid means there is too much blurred info and she wants all the evidence to be laid out.
    Bo references a mail conversation that we don't get to read.

I feel there is something weird about their conversation since in my opinion there is lots of evidence for the Holocaust.
    Imo she isn't denying it happened, she has her doubts how it happened, or did actually 6 million die?
    Kinda like we don't actually know how many died in Soviet "labour" camps, but that's not a problem discussing.
    6 million have been mentioned there too but other reports state 2.3 to 17.6 million.

Either way, I don't think Gemma has even discussed the Holocaust so no, that's not a similarity.

• Advertisement

Creol1 wrote: »
    The footage is there for anyone to see in the documentary so misquoting doesn't really arise.

It is a compelling documentary and I would still recommend it, albeit in spite of, rather than because of, the fact that it was made by O'Doherty.

It’s not misquoting so much as putting words in their mouths and then saying “Is that what happened?” But firing questions quite quickly at a fairly confused seeming older country guard so it doesn’t seem like he fully knows what he’s agreeing with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement