Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Options
1144145146147148150»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Nobelium wrote: »
    Your grandparents integrated, mixed, and became activity contributors to wider Irish society and culture . . . the same can't be said for all immigrants.

That's not the point that was made, he said a mix match made Irish culture weaker. This is fundamentally untrue.

Also, they integrated because they were given the opportunity to. Writing people off before they even have the chance isn't exactly fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I was in Liverpool last week, went down to China town for a bite to eat.

Been to china town in new york and also little italy, been to irish bars in near enough every country i have visited, never seen anyones "culture" weakened by these.

You're spouting this shìte but i bet you have ordered food from a chinese or indian takeaway recently, italian chippers anyone? Pizza?

Gwan back to your cabbage and bacon and pint of guinness and let the rest of the world move on without you.

Those places have a long history of immigration. The US is a country that was built was immigrants and has only existed for the last 300 years or so whereas Ireland has existed as a distinct culture and an ethnic race for over 2,000 years so there is a bit of difference. Immigration is a huge part of US culture bit this is Ireland not the US I also believe that US culture is a lot weaker than Irish or any European culture.

As I said I have no problem with a small degree of immigration. I am against mass immigration. The immigrants I want are those that are willing to work and integrate into our societies which the Irish have done very well at doing but I don't see that with Muslims or Africans as from what I have seen most appear to want to stay in their own groups with their own people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What I meant to say was mass immigration from third world countries makes Irish culture weaker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

circadian wrote: »

Also, they integrated because they were given the opportunity to. Writing people off before they even have the chance isn't exactly fair.

Plenty of immigrants to Ireland that are given just a good an opportunity have not bothered integrating to western european culture and have no interest in doing so.

Irish people can't emigrate to wherever they fancy without getting visa's / green cards etc. . . why do you think that is ?
    and so why should economic migrants to Ireland not have to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Plenty of immigrants to Ireland that are given just a good an opportunity have not bothered integrating to western european culture and have no interest in doing so.

There are areas in france that are now no go areas for women. They are literally told to go home to the kitchen where they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What I meant to say was mass immigration from third world countries makes Irish culture weaker.

Nice backpedalling there.

The amount of unfounded third hand anecdotal evidence in thread shows that you and others will continue to move the goalposts whenever the need suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

“The emigrants who land at New York, whether they remain in that city or come on in the interior, are not merely ignorant and poor—which might be their misfortune rather than their fault—but they are drunken, dirty, indolent, and riotous, so as to be the objects of dislike and fear to all in whose neighbourhood they congregate in large numbers.” —James Silk Buckingham

I am haunted by the human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country...to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black one would not see it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as white as ours.
    - Cambridge historian Charles Kingsley, letter to his wife from Ireland, 1860

A creature manifestly between the Gorilla and the Negro is to be met with in some of the lowest districts of London and Liverpool by adventurous explorers. It comes from Ireland, whence it has contrived to migrate; it belongs in fact to a tribe of Irish savages: the lowest species of Irish Yahoo. When conversing with its kind it talks a sort of gibberish. It is, moreover, a climbing animal, and may sometimes be seen ascending a ladder laden with a hod of bricks.
    -Satire entitled "The Missing Link", from the British magazine Punch, 1862

...Furious fanaticism; a love of war and disorder; a hatred for order and patient industry; no accumulative habits; restless; treacherous and uncertain: look to Ireland...
    As a Saxon, I abhor all dynasties, monarchies and bayonet governments, but this latter seems to be the only one suitable for the Celtic man.
    -Robert Knox, anatomist, describing his views on the "Celtic character", 1850

The Celts are not among the progressive, initiative races, but among those which supply the materials rather than the impulse of history...The Persians, the Greeks, the Romans and the Teutons are the only makers of history, the only authors of advancement. ...Subjection to a people of a higher capacity for government is of itself no misfortune; and it is to most countries the condition of their political advancement.
    - British historian Lord Acton, 1862

It's mad how quickly the despised subhuman Celt became a proud member of the Master Race! Total evolutionary rebuild in... 150 years?

B0jangles wrote: »
    “The emigrants who land at New York, whether they remain in that city or come on in the interior, are not merely ignorant and poor—which might be their misfortune rather than their fault—but they are drunken, dirty, indolent, and riotous, so as to be the objects of dislike and fear to all in whose neighbourhood they congregate in large numbers.” —James Silk Buckingham

I am haunted by the human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country...to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black one would not see it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as white as ours.
    - Cambridge historian Charles Kingsley, letter to his wife from Ireland, 1860

A creature manifestly between the Gorilla and the Negro is to be met with in some of the lowest districts of London and Liverpool by adventurous explorers. It comes from Ireland, whence it has contrived to migrate; it belongs in fact to a tribe of Irish savages: the lowest species of Irish Yahoo. When conversing with its kind it talks a sort of gibberish. It is, moreover, a climbing animal, and may sometimes be seen ascending a ladder laden with a hod of bricks.
    -Satire entitled "The Missing Link", from the British magazine Punch, 1862

...Furious fanaticism; a love of war and disorder; a hatred for order and patient industry; no accumulative habits; restless; treacherous and uncertain: look to Ireland...
    As a Saxon, I abhor all dynasties, monarchies and bayonet governments, but this latter seems to be the only one suitable for the Celtic man.
    -Robert Knox, anatomist, describing his views on the "Celtic character", 1850

The Celts are not among the progressive, initiative races, but among those which supply the materials rather than the impulse of history...The Persians, the Greeks, the Romans and the Teutons are the only makers of history, the only authors of advancement. ...Subjection to a people of a higher capacity for government is of itself no misfortune; and it is to most countries the condition of their political advancement.
    - British historian Lord Acton, 1862

It's mad how quickly the despised subhuman Celt became a proud member of the Master Race! Total evolutionary rebuild in... 150 years?

Why did those Irish people have to emigrate ? . . and what state handouts and support did they get from the countries they emigrated to that needed to exploit the willingness to work as cheaper than cheap labour ?

Why did those Irish people have to emigrate ? . . and what state handouts and support did they get from the countries they emigrated to that needed to exploit the willingness to work as cheaper than cheap labour ?

The quotes are from only 170-ish years ago, when a great many educated people thought that Irish people were inherently inferior. The same basic arguments are being used here and today to argue against immigrants or refugees from the third world.

They are now what we were then.

It was racism then, it's racism now.

The quotes are from only 150 years ago, when a great many educated people thought that Irish people were inherently inferior. The same basic arguments are being used here and today to argue against immigrants or refugees from the third world.

Not a fair comparison.

I have no problem with immigration that is sustainable and fair, for both the people already here and the people arriving.

Racism means judging people based on the colour of their skin. I do not and would never do such a thing.

What I have a problem with is the immigration of people who have a backwards ideology who intend to change Ireland for the worse.

• Advertisement

The same basic arguments are being used here and today to argue against immigrants or refugees from the third world.

Economic concerns about flooding a country with cheap and desperate labour and exploiting them for profit, while the taxpayer pick up the economic tab, is not "racism".

This is utter rubbish and lies that anyone who has concerns about same is racist . . .

There is only one race, the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Those places have a long history of immigration. The US is a country that was built was immigrants and has only existed for the last 300 years or so whereas Ireland has existed as a distinct culture and an ethnic race for over 2,000 years so there is a bit of difference. Immigration is a huge part of US culture bit this is Ireland not the US I also believe that US culture is a lot weaker than Irish or any European culture.

As I said I have no problem with a small degree of immigration. I am against mass immigration. The immigrants I want are those that are willing to work and integrate into our societies which the Irish have done very well at doing but I don't see that with Muslims or Africans as from what I have seen most appear to want to stay in their own groups with their own people.

I worked in Estate Agency, renting houses in a rural county town.
    We welcomed Central Europeans with open arms.
    Without exception they were working, in construction, electricial engineering, mechanical engineering and tbe butchery trades. Brilliant tenants, respected their homes and paid rent without fail. African and Arabaic immigrants were all working in the health services to some degree or other, and also great tenants.
    Hospitable people, their kids in local schools and in local sports clubs.
    They have integrated well around here, anyway , and are assets to the community.
    (You mightn't get a hair cut or a shave after lunch on a friday, but thats hardly an huge inconvenience)
    I remember meeting a young couple to show them a house, and they had an old Fiat Panda, stuffed to the gills with everything they owned. They had just driven it from the Polish border with Belarus!
    He was a qualified architect.
    Thats 11 years ago and they are still here with a young family now.
    I hope Gemma's dismal showing in the polls this day week shows her how we have progressed as a society.
    But of course, she'll just play the victim card , RTE etc and a rigged vote...

Not a fair comparison.

I have no problem with immigration that is sustainable and fair, for both the people already here and the people arriving.

Racism means judging people based on the colour of their skin. I do not and would never do such a thing.

What I have a problem with is the immigration of people who have a backwards ideology who intend to change Ireland for the worse.

In the 1840's the people of Philadephia had similar fears about the influx of Irish Catholic immigrants to the city.

https://www.thejournal.ie/1844-bible-riots-nativists-philadelphia-irish-catholic-religion-immigration-donald-trump-2434867-Jan2016/

Rioting, dozens of houses and businesses burned out, several deaths and all triggered by a request that in their bible classes, catholic children be allowed read from a catholic edition of the bible rather than the protestant one in standard use in the city.

If only they'd tried harder to integrate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm not an emotional chap but I must say after watching too many gemma videos I as actually quite moved today by an African dance troupe in tallaght, then the leader, a young male teen addressed the crowd welcoming anyone and their kids to call in anytime and have a go and have fun....

Sort of flies against the bigoted narrative gemma and the roids are peddling.

Maybe it's time to mute her.

Also some twat here said the UK have sharia law.... The key word there is "law"... There is only one law... The law.

Economic concerns about flooding a country with cheap and desperate labour and exploiting them for profit, while the taxpayer pick up the economic tab, is not "racism".

This is utter rubbish and lies that anyone who has concerns about same is racist . . .

There is only one race, the human race.

Reminds me of the wine grower in Cali complaining about Trump's increased border security because he now could not employ illegal immigrants :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Love the Stuart Lee ukip routine that finishes with "oi fish.... Get back in the sea"

In the 1840's the people of Philadephia had similar fears about the influx of Irish Catholic immigrants to the city.

https://www.thejournal.ie/1844-bible-riots-nativists-philadelphia-irish-catholic-religion-immigration-donald-trump-2434867-Jan2016/

Rioting, dozens of houses and businesses burned out, several deaths and all triggered by a request that in their bible classes, catholic children be allowed read from a catholic edition of the bible rather than the protestant one in standard use in the city.

If only they'd tried harder to integrate :(

Who is doing this to Muslims here?

Back to reality.

There is a large number of Muslims who have very extreme views and literally want to invade through immigration. This is not conspiracy, they openly talk about it.

Who is doing this to Muslims here?

Back to reality.

There is a large number of Muslims who have very extreme views and literally want to invade through immigration. This is not conspiracy, they openly talk about it.

We have to wait til we have rioting and murder before we can point out the extreme similarity between the language used about irish catholic immigrants then and muslim immigrants now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

This is utter rubbish and lies that it's about being racist . ..

Economic concerns about flooding a country with cheap and desperate labour is not "racism". There is only one race, the human race.

But there are many different species. My concern is more ecologic, it’s not something that’s fluctuates it can’t be rolled back I don’t mind a few migratory birds particularly the pretty ones but you forcibly alter the unique ecosystem of a natural enclave and that harmony can fall away altogether....

I do agree the trafficking of people in the hope they can be forced into work is deplorable though and a thing of the past; we thought but then people will always be hellbent on ravaging their environment so long as it it drives their economy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

They didnt get mine. I had scrambled eggs this morning. Fecking lovely. Dont know how they were proposing to get all the eggs .. was it in one fell swoop? Think Gemmas maths was off on this

Or to misnomer a misnomer- one fowl swoop?

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    But there are many different species. My concern is more ecologic, it’s not something that’s fluctuates it can’t be rolled back I don’t mind a few migratory birds particularly the pretty ones but you forcibly alter the unique ecosystem of a natural enclave and that harmony can fall away altogether....

I do agree the trafficking of people in the hope they can be forced into work is deplorable though and a thing of the past; we thought but then people will always be hellbent on ravaging their environment so long as it it drives their economy.

That's an utterly disgusting attitude.

That's an utterly disgusting attitude.
    A bit of a hysterical overreaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Not really, the poster clearly holds incredibly racist views if he's viewing non white people as a "different species"...

Nope. It's an utterly disgusting attitude. Which part is acceptable to you? Saying there's different species of humans? Equating people with birds? Only allowing in the good looking ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It introduces elements of forgein cultures into Irish culture hence making our culture weaker. Tourists don't come here to see African, Middle Eastern or Indian culture they come to see Ireland and they want Irish culture.

Right. What in appearance and manner does this "weaker" culture look like?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Right. What in appearance and manner does this "weaker" culture look like?

Throwing gays off tall buildings. Death penalty for apostasy. Women not allowed to work or drive or leave the house alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is she at the raisetheroof protest or are those the lizard people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- This steaming pile of crap of a thread has been allowed go on for far too long.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement