Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's a gay rights symbol, same as a pink triangle and the rainbow flag. That's fact, not opinion.

I'd keep an eye on it. I can understand it being promoted in non-faith schools, but there's stricter codes in Catholic schools.
    It is an opinion not a fact, the rainbow flag and pink triangle are ingrained in gay rights movement yes, a unicorn is not despite it popping up at protests mainly in the 70s and 80s.

The pink triangle, employed by the Nazis in World War II as a badge of shame, was re-appropriated but retained negative connotations. The rainbow flag, previously used as a symbol of unity among all people, was adopted to be a more organic and natural replacement without any negativity attached to it. I am not sure you understand the history of the gay rights movement and the symbols involved, that is my opinion not a fact....I understand the difference.

What is being promoted in non-faith schools? Unicorns or gay rights?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 serserkenj

ccc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gmisk wrote: »
    It is an opinion not a fact, the rainbow flag and pink triangle are ingrained in gay rights movement yes, a unicorn is not despite it popping up at protests mainly in the 70s and 80s.

The pink triangle, employed by the Nazis in World War II as a badge of shame, was re-appropriated but retained negative connotations. The rainbow flag, previously used as a symbol of unity among all people, was adopted to be a more organic and natural replacement without any negativity attached to it. I am not sure you understand the history of the gay rights movement and the symbols involved, that is my opinion not a fact....I understand the difference.

What is being promoted in non-faith schools? Unicorns or gay rights?

The whole unicorn thing is very new. It is certainly not ingrained in the gay rights movements. Or at least it wasnt when i was out and about on the scene 25 odd years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The whole unicorn thing is very new. It is certainly not ingrained in the gay rights movements. Or at least it wasnt when i was out and about on the scene 25 odd years ago.
    I was going by a few things I read online, tbh I have never seen a unicorn anything at a pride parade that I can remember and I have been going to them for about 18 years on and off.

Honestly I am not sure why I am even humoring this poster tbh, but hey obviously Gemma O Doherty has a willing audience for her increasingly bizarre rants, it doesnt mean that people should be allowed to spout them as facts.

Also I do find it hilarious Gemma O Doherty wrote a fawning letter to Panti hoping for an endorsement for he presidential attempt lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

but hey obviously Gemma O Doherty has a willing audience for her increasingly bizarre rants, it doesnt mean that people should be allowed to spout them as facts.

A tiny audience. Miniscule. Most just following her out of morbid curiosity. Like that idiot priest who ran out on the F1 track or the clown who danced on Haugheys grave.

• Advertisement

I was going by a few things I read online, tbh I have never seen a unicorn anything at a pride parade that I can remember and I have been going to them for about 18 years on and off.

Honestly I am not sure why I am even humoring this poster tbh, but hey obviously Gemma O Doherty has a willing audience for her increasingly bizarre rants, it doesnt mean that people should be allowed to spout them as facts.

Also I do find it hilarious Gemma O Doherty wrote a fawning letter to Panti hoping for an endorsement for he presidential attempt lol.

I dont even remember much in the way of rainbow flags when i attended my first pride parade in (oh my god is it really that long ago??) 1992. Though in my defence I was a bit drunk so they may have been there. Certainly didn't have randomers waving rainbo flags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Honestly....what the heck are you on about?
    Were there unicorns involved? Gay ones?
    What is your point here, say what you actually mean?

Don't take everything at face value. Of all the mythical creatures to choose from, why a unicorn?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

She takes rejection very badly. She wanted Panti to endorse her, Panti wouldn't and now she's on a mission against the LGBT community. She's the same about the Social Democrats & AAA. They wouldn't endorse her (probably the first time ever I've agreed with them on something!) and every chance she gets she attacks them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don't take everything at face value. Of all the mythical creatures to choose from, why a unicorn?
    Buggered if I know S. In classical mythology, actually I can't recall what they represented TBH, beyond rare fantastical creature that lives somewhere you don't type, no I swear I saw one in Asia, no really and men with eyes in their chests deal. By the medieval it became a Christian symbol of innocence, that would only approach and fall asleep in the arms of a virgin/Virgin Mary. It's been a Christian symbol for a loooong time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Why are you taking at face value the words of a somebody that thinks cutting a hedge is part of a worldwide conspiracy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'm way, way behind on my Podcast listening, and I'm listening to Here's How from last August. Gemma is on it, showing her lack of knowledge of the role of President, but trying to hid the crazy. Happy to talk about the good things she did in the past, but very quick to change the subject when the host, William Campbell, brings up her sharing of Hilliary Clinton conspiracy theories and videos from Jerry Beades

mzungu wrote: »
    Why are you taking at face value the words of a somebody that thinks cutting a hedge is part of a worldwide conspiracy?

I'm not saying it's subversive, I'm just saying I would question it, given the current climate.

I'm not saying it's subversive, I'm just saying I would question it, given the current climate.

What climate would that be? The one that gemma and her cohort have imagined?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Why are we cutting down trees in lots of parks and road sides. See also what has been done to Merrion square in recent years, as well as other public parks. We thought we need as many trees as we can get, what with climate change and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Baba Yaga had a prior arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wibbs wrote: »
    Buggered if I know S. In classical mythology, actually I can't recall what they represented TBH, beyond rare fantastical creature that lives somewhere you don't type, no I swear I saw one in Asia, no really and men with eyes in their chests deal. By the medieval it became a Christian symbol of innocence, that would only approach and fall asleep in the arms of a virgin/Virgin Mary. It's been a Christian symbol for a loooong time.

Maybe it's just the horn? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why are we cutting down trees in lots of parks and road sides. See also what has been done to Merrion square in recent years, as well as other public parks. We thought we need as many trees as we can get, what with climate change and all.

You're not from the country are you? Every year at this time the hedges are trimmed. It looks like they've been ripped apart. A few months later they're all nice and bushy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Grayson wrote: »
    You're not from the country are you? Every year at this time the hedges are trimmed. It looks like they've been ripped apart. A few months later they're all nice and bushy again.

Cutting them back so much actually encourages them to come back stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Probably because if large bits of the said trees happen to fall on cars or people and damage them, then the unfortunate victims (or their next of kin) tend to seek large amounts of compensation from the Local Authority responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because unicorns and dragons are about the two best-known mythical creatures.

Also, Gemma's issue here is not the gay agenda, but the implication that unicorns are mythical creatures that don't exist unless you believe in them.

Since the Bible mentions unicorns a number of times in a factual context, it's a fairly large smoking gun that that the bible is just a big book of fantasy nonsense.

The most ardent believers therefore reject the notion that unicorns are make-believe, instead asserting that they must have, at one time, existed. And any suggestion that unicorns are mythical, is an attack on the bible.

Of course, given that the argument is about translation of translations of translations of a book of fairytales, it's fair to say that whatever a "unicorn" was when originally written, is not a unicorn in the 15th-century sense. But we're talking about conspiracy theorists and mythological creatures, so nothing need make coherent sense

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Because unicorns and dragons are about the two best-known mythical creatures.

Also, Gemma's issue here is not the gay agenda, but the implication that unicorns are mythical creatures that don't exist unless you believe in them.

Since the Bible mentions unicorns a number of times in a factual context, it's a fairly large smoking gun that that the bible is just a big book of fantasy nonsense.

The most ardent believers therefore reject the notion that unicorns are make-believe, instead asserting that they must have, at one time, existed. And any suggestion that unicorns are mythical, is an attack on the bible.

Of course, given that the argument is about translation of translations of translations of a book of fairytales, it's fair to say that whatever a "unicorn" was when originally written, is not a unicorn in the 15th-century sense. But we're talking about conspiracy theorists and mythological creatures, so nothing need make coherent sense

Somebody seen a rhino standing behind a zebra while they were drunk (the person that is, not the zebra) and that is how we have unicorns.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cutting them back so much actually encourages them to come back stronger.
    I assume you haven't seen Merrion Square which that user referenced.

I am from the countryside and yes hedge-cutting will encourage lateral growth, but in Merrion Square some hedges have been completely removed. In some parts of the square, even young trees have been felled. It's quite bizarre, whatever they're doing.

Hashtag globalist plot :pac:

What climate would that be? The one that gemma and her cohort have imagined?

Is it just their imagination? LGBT issues are set to be mandatory in UK primary schools from next year.

Is it just their imagination? LGBT issues are set to be mandatory in UK primary schools from next year.

You mean that children will be told that LGBT people exist? Are you afraid that will turn them all gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Curse those schools offering proper supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Odhinn

She's now saying "The people of Ireland have less than five years to save their country or else they consent to communism." I'll regret asking, but does anyone know where shes getting this timeline from or what it refers to?

You mean that children will be told that LGBT people exist? Are you afraid that will turn them all gay?

Some people don't want young children indoctrinated with those ideas in school. If a parent really wants their child to learn about it, do it in their own time.

Some people don't want young children indoctrinated with those ideas in school. If a parent really wants their child to learn about it, do it in their own time.

indoctrinated with the fact that lgbt people exist?

Odhinn wrote: »
    She's now saying "The people of Ireland have less than five years to save their country or else they consent to communism." I'll regret asking, but does anyone know where shes getting this timeline from or what it refers to?
    I don't know but it sounds very exciting. I'm ironing my hammer-and-sickle tee shirt as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Indictonated in what? That LGBT people exist? My 5 year old nephew knows I exist!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement