Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlemania 35 Thread * Spoilers* (*No Betting Talk*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm not even contemplating that after she got the SD title, before that maybe there's a seed of doubt but she can go and sh1te now

I was gonna post that photoshop of Triple H with all the titles, or the real photo of Kurt Angle with all the TNA gold, but I don't think either would accurately reflect Charlotte coming out of Mania with the 2 belts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'm not even contemplating that after she got the SD title, before that maybe there's a seed of doubt but she can go and sh1te now

I was gonna post that photoshop of Triple H with all the titles, or the real photo of Kurt Angle with all the TNA gold, but I don't think either would accurately reflect Charlotte coming out of Mania with the 2 belts

Nah Becky is their golden girl at the moment. I can’t see her not winning after they’ve been building to it for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Wrestling-wise I think it should be an excellent PPV. It's a shame the build up has been piss poor for the majority of matches.

I haven't heard the build to Rollins-Lesnar being criticised much but I think it's been the worst of the lot. When's the last time they even interacted? When Rollins took five or six F5s? That feels like forever ago. It seems like we've gotten the same Rollins-Heyman promo about half a dozen times.

Rollins' promo work has been poor too imo, the whole "crowd are the 12th man" narrative is just lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

WWE's instagram teased it yesterday...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvo22PNlQxl/

If Vince sees that, Becky's hopes are doomed!

I dont get why theyre redoing the Reigns storyline with Rollins

You dont need to bury Lesnar by saying he’s not around, the fans already cheer for Rollins

He should have been built as the unstoppable beast because thats what he is, he’s gone through almost everyone on Raw worth his time so what chance does Rollins have?

I hope after Mania we can move on with both Brock and the title. Brock is an attraction in himself as always, we might be sick of him as champ but he’s still one of a kind and he has something to offer elsewhere down the card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That picture being posted by WWE pretty much guarantees it won’t happen. It’s pro-wrestling 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

martyos121 wrote: »
    That picture being posted by WWE pretty much guarantees it won’t happen. It’s pro-wrestling 101.

Yep they wouldn’t spoil the big Mania moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

An unprecedented 8 star match is brilliant

https://twitter.com/baroncorbinwwe/status/1112399971066830849?s=21

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sky88 wrote:
    An unprecedented 8 star match is brilliant

I love Corbins response to someone cancelling the network in that tweet :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    Don't discount the swerve of Charlotte winning. Charlotte/Ronda seemed to be the plan until Becky's popularity forced their hand. They may not shift from the original outcome they had in mind.

How often do heels close Mania as the winners? Brock last year, sure, and it was a massive downer and criticized.

Becky winning should 100% be the closing, crowning moment of the show.

• Advertisement

A fan over on Reddit did a Kofi version of Bryan's "Monster" Mania video, and it's got me hyped.

Don't get me wrong, I love Becky. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't 100 times more invested in Kofi's story, simply cause his is an 11 year, genuine version of the story Becky has been telling for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

That was effin fantastic

The best thing about the Kofi thing is how organic it feels, and how WWE seems to be going with the flow rather than the plan

If Mustafa Ali didn’t get injured then we’d probably be looking at KO vs DB for the title, things just seemed to fall into place

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

*Pedant Alert*

Kofi's story, while great and all is actually only 3 months really since they've actually strapped a rocket on him. The 11 years thing works excellently with the story, but I'd argue that people are more invested at this stage because:

A): It's fresher
    B) They've completely ruined the Becky story with the crutches and the swerves and the nonsense and the Charlotte.

*End Pedant Alert*

That video is bloody epic. I'm actually starting to get some pre-Mania excitement after watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Necro wrote: »
    *Pedant Alert*

Kofi's story, while great and all is actually only 3 months really since they've actually strapped a rocket on him. The 11 years thing works excellently with the story, but I'd argue that people are more invested at this stage because:

A): It's fresher
    B) They've completely ruined the Becky story with the crutches and the swerves and the nonsense and the Charlotte.

*End Pedant Alert*

That video is bloody epic. I'm actually starting to get some pre-Mania excitement after watching that.

Nothing pedantic about that IMO. The Kofi thing works so well because of how sudden and organic it is. The fact that it’s only taken off in the last 3 months is even better from a storytelling perspective, because his irrelevance as a singles competitor has only been magnified as a result. I love everything about it, but I do believe Kofi losing controversially is the best outcome in the long term. There’s way more mileage in this after Mania, and a more aggressive, anti-authority New Day could be magic.

I know every man and their dog will say let Kofi have his WrestleMania moment, but they have a chance to get nuclear heat on Bryan and a lot more on top of that by depriving Kofi a bit longer. The really important part is not breaking up New Day with this, let them develop their characters but keep them together even as just a faction, not necessarily a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

With regards the triple threat discussion who do we think should take the pin/submission in the main event?

My instinct is that Becky should pin or tap out Ronda if the latter is taking time off. It's what the fans want to see and it sets up a Becky vs Charlotte feud in the aftermath since Charlotte wouldn't have been involved in the decision.

But if there's a chance Ronda works Summerslam, perhaps Becky pinning or tapping out Charlotte is the right move since it could make a one-on-one match with Ronda huge since she'd still never have been directly involved in a loss.

Thoughts?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

With regards the triple threat discussion who do we think should take the pin/submission in the main event?

My instinct is that Becky should pin or tap out Ronda if the latter is taking time off. It's what the fans want to see and it sets up a Becky vs Charlotte feud in the aftermath since Charlotte wouldn't have been involved in the decision.

But if there's a chance Ronda works Summerslam, perhaps Becky pinning or tapping out Charlotte is the right move since it could make a one-on-one match with Ronda huge since she'd still never have been directly involved in a loss.

Thoughts?

I can't see Becky tapping out Ronda Rousey of all people with an armbar. If she is winning it will be at Charlotte's expense (Becky going over her so often in the last year is what makes me weary of Charlotte winning though). That will give Becky/Ronda a reason to feud one-on-one somewhere down the road (Ronda will say Becky never beat her etc.)

Whatever happens after Mania Becky and Charlotte need to be separated for a long time. They have been feuding for almost a year straight. They both need fresh opponents. Becky/Sasha could be great if do it right, The Man vs The Boss. But the tag scene gets in the way of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Thoughts?

I don't care who Becky beats next sunday. If WWE have any bit of sense they'll have here beat one of them clean as a whistle in the middle of the ring.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy Mania week!

Say what you want about the lackluster buildup there's nothing like Mania weekend for wrestling fans, there's definitely a special feel to it, even better this year that takeover is Friday night so available to stream anytime Saturday gives it a proper weekend festival feel.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loughc wrote: »
    Happy Mania week!

Say what you want about the lackluster buildup there's nothing like Mania weekend for wrestling fans, there's definitely a special feel to it, even better this year that takeover is Friday night so available to stream anytime Saturday gives it a proper weekend festival feel.

Yea im looking forward to takeover , WM not so much this year. Ill prob watch the first hour or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

The John Oliver segment on WWE last night was unfair in parts and fair in others. One thing is for sure; it will NOT have gone down well in House McMahon.
    But I wonder how many WWE fans watch Oliver and will follow through with his crowd takeover initiative at Mania?

One has to wonder what Oliver's motivations are to go after WWE. Oliver is obviously an anti Trump guy. And last week Linda McMahon announced she is one of the leaders of Trump's re-election effort for 2020.

Whatever the case is, if other outlets pick this Oliver story up, this is not good for WWE.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

sirmanga wrote: »
    The John Oliver segment on WWE last night was unfair in parts and fair in others. One thing is for sure; it will NOT have gone down well in House McMahon.
    But I wonder how many WWE fans watch Oliver and will follow through with his crowd takeover initiative at Mania?

One has to wonder what Oliver's motivations are to go after WWE. Oliver is obviously an anti Trump guy. And last week Linda McMahon announced she is one of the leaders of Trump's re-election effort for 2020.

Whatever the case is, if other outlets pick this Oliver story up, this is not good for WWE.

Might watch that on my break

Might watch that on my break

It's interesting.
    You can feel the underlying disdain that Oliver and/or his writers have for wrestling as a product, but Oliver praises wrestling throughout the segment, calling it entertaining and the like. Call me cynical, but I think he only did that to get the fans on his side in hopes that they would follow through with his WrestleMania fan takeover idea. If he had made fun of the product and its fans he knows it would turn them against him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What was the takeover idea for the fans?

Loughc wrote: »
    What was the takeover idea for the fans?

Basically, Oliver ran through all of the bad stuff (and some good stuff) about WWE; that the wrestlers don't get an off season, are independent contractors instead of employees, the high death rate of wrestlers.

At the end of the segment, Oliver asks fans to bring signs to Mania and make up chants that shame WWE, basically cause disruption at the event in order to show their displeasure with how wrestlers are treated by WWE.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Basically, Oliver ran through all of the bad stuff (and some good stuff) about WWE; that the wrestlers don't get an off season, are independent contractors instead of employees, the high death rate of wrestlers.

At the end of the segment, Oliver asks fans to bring signs to Mania and make up chants that shame WWE, basically cause disruption at the event in order to show their displeasure with how wrestlers are treated by WWE.

Pffft Mania crowd will be too busy trying to get themselves over than an important message.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Just watched the oliver segment there. Previous Statments made by Punk, Piper and Ventura were used but also an old one, i'm guessing pre-2006, by bret hart. Would bret use his HoF speech to highlight the issues highlighted by oliver?

Also, anyone know where i can find a longer version of that interview where vince slapped the papers from a journalist? never seen that before.

Cool callback to an even cooler prediction by Dusty in what was actually his final tweet...

https://twitter.com/BeckyLynchWWE/status/1112420086952980481?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

dusty bin wrote: »
    Just watched the oliver segment there. Previous Statments made by Punk, Piper and Ventura were used but also an old one, i'm guessing pre-2006, by bret hart. Would bret use his HoF speech to highlight the issues highlighted by oliver?

Also, anyone know where i can find a longer version of that interview where vince slapped the papers from a journalist? never seen that before.

ignore all previous questions I had asked. I initially viewed it on a tiny screen where I could not see the names/dates of the interview snippets. Re-watched it last night and felt stupid. All good now.

• Advertisement

Looks like Revival vs Hawkins/Ryder for the Raw tag titles has been added.

Advertisement