Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good game tonight. Again I would echo what was said before regarding not having the time to do week long games but a 1 nighter is perfect.

I would say that the info in the first post needs to be a bit clearer. I was fairly lost for the first while. Also I was not aware someone had a gun so the end came as somewhat of a surprise.

There was this in the OP
    'One of you has a cannon with which you can forcibly eject someone from the parliament building.' but I thought that was just how we were lynching people rather than someone who could shoot at any time.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Vernon WW

I really enjoyed the game tonight. I forgot about the feedback thread the last time i played but i would be happy to give feedback about playing in general if that is ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Vernon WW wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the game tonight. I forgot about the feedback thread the last time i played but i would be happy to give feedback about playing in general if that is ok now.

Sorry that was me. Forgot i logged out of my own account.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

All feedback always welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

As a first timer I really enjoyed the game. Thanks Mods.
    So a full length game would be 6 to 11ish every evening for seven nights?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

As a first timer I really enjoyed the game. Thanks Mods.
    So a full length game would be 6 to 11ish every evening for seven nights?

Full length would usually start on a Sunday with longer phases, usually 10am to 9pm.

Generally run from Sunday to Friday-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sorry Liz, I was delayed and then spent too long writing my nonsense opening post.

Well done village

Necro wrote: »
    Full length would usually start on a Sunday with longer phases, usually 10am to 9pm.

Generally run from Sunday to Friday-ish

I love the week long games, but I wonder is there a bigger market for short, easy digestible games like this than a traditional 4 to 5 day game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I love the week long games, but I wonder is there a bigger market for short, easy digestible games like this than a traditional 4 to 5 day game.

They're definitely more accessible and a good intro to the game.

New lads like Triggs, after that game would a week long game appeal to you?

Kathleen, with you playing both short and long games, which did you prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry Liz, I was delayed and then spent too long writing my nonsense opening post.

Well done village

I hope your mam is ok

I forgot the backroom and then couldn't get in to it, only 2 wolves it was hard to disguise as villagers with clever players

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

For me the short games appeal to me more due to my work/life situation right now. Extremely busy in work and have a 3 year old on the go as well.

Thats not to say the longer games don't appeal to me at all, they still do and I take the time to follow up and read the threads after the games have been played, when I get a chance to do so. That probably helped me slot in a bit easier tonight too.

As a new player i definitely preferred the longer one. It gave me more of a chance to see how people sussed each other out.The short game was excellent too though because It gave you a focus. You couldn't just sit back, you had to be active from the start.

The main issue for me would be getting a chance to be around. The last game was my first one and if i had been lynched or munched at the first hurdle i probably would not have played again thinking i was terrible at it instead of it being random bad luck. I do think Rikand's idea of no kill till the first lynch is the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

As a new player i definitely preferred the longer one. It gave me more of a chance to see how people sussed each other out.The short game was excellent too though because It gave you a focus. You couldn't just sit back, you had to be active from the start.

The main issue for me would be getting a chance to be around. The last game was my first one and if i had been lynched or munched at the first hurdle i probably would not have played again thinking i was terrible at it instead of it being random bad luck. I do think Rikand's idea of no kill till the first lynch is the right one.

This even worked well tonight.. Neccers already had someone selected to munch as they were sussing him out well before 6.15 :pac: then the first lynch came around and they didn't even vote for him :pac:

Trigger wrote: »
    For me the short games appeal to me more due to my work/life situation right now. Extremely busy in work and have a 3 year old on the go as well.

Thats not to say the longer games don't appeal to me at all, they still do and I take the time to follow up and read the threads after the games have been played, when I get a chance to do so. That probably helped me slot in a bit easier tonight too.

Maybe i would agree with Trigger if i had read game threads too. I entered the Die Hard game without having a clue what to do. Rikand, and indeed the other players, were really helpful and patient amswering my stupid questions.
    I do see the time commitment in a week long game would be an issue. Christmas holidays allowed me the time to play the game properly.

The 'wolf kill' going first is a Boards thing since the beginning - there have been variations but in general most games would start with a night kill (munch) by the wolves.

I've played on a number of forums over the past few years and it does seem to be the exception rather than the rule, most other forums start with either a flavour kill or go straight into Day 1 and the lynch.

That's not a criticism by the way in case anyone thinks I'm having a go - it's more a habit we as a community got into when building our games.

I don't mind either format, but I do think that having a 'Night 0' kill when people are waiting all month for a game can be a bit unfair sometimes.

The other side is that a lot of people like to have someone murdered first as it gives the village a starting point, trying to figure out why John WW was brutally murdered before he even got to post more than 10 times - or sometimes not at all :D

Visibility of the forum is an issue that was mentioned last week and i would agree with that. I like the games forum but normally just look at Omackeral's tournaments. I never noticed the werewolf games and to be honest it was the Die Hard title i noticed first. I looked and saw they needed players and still needed them 7 days later and said "what the hell"

I liked to see that Green&Red advertised werewolf in the quiz thread and i would be willing to give it a plug in the tournament threads.

Visibility of the forum is an issue that was mentioned last week and i would agree with that. I like the games forum but normally just look at Omackeral's tournaments. I never noticed the werewolf games and to be honest it was the Die Hard title i noticed first. I looked and saw they needed players and still needed them 7 days later and said "what the hell"

I liked to see that Green&Red advertised werewolf in the quiz thread and i would be willing to give it a plug in the tournament threads.

Omackrel is a fiend for the tournaments. The lad has a problem. (I joke, hes a good lad).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I like how beakerjoe has outlined some of the game mechanics and rules in the sign-up thread of his game, rather than just the official game thread OP.

It is helpful in deciding whether one wishes to play or not. I would like this to be the norm henceforth, Werewolf hosts!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

fixXxer wrote: »
    We can be a hard forum to find. Might be worth advertising games more to forums if there's a specific theme?

A couple of years ago I started a thread about the gender of the WW players. It was called Sex or No Sex...

Suddenly the amount of traffic in the forum went right up :pac:

Should refresh that thread ;)

• Advertisement

Terminator WW Feedback:

Loved the setup, the early OP, the roles. Absolutely excellent. The T-1000 was a powerful role but also limited as you had to be somewhat of a chameleon and replicate someone else's style of posting which I failed miserably at. Great game overall and a really fun battle back and forth.

Competition codes were great, only thing I'd maybe suggest is giving working people a chance to enter too and maybe having it post lynch. Might suit others to have it mid-day but games I'm involved in I would be relying on co mods to post competition stuff and verify a winner etc as I have no posting access other than my phone in the office unfortunately.

And that isn't a criticism moreso a suggestion for a different option that might suit people better, maybe it's just me it affects in which case ignore me and continue with the mid day as is!

Just a big thanks to running it again beaker, a mammoth task by yourself but managed perfectly well and very impressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Neowise

Terminator WW Feedback:

Loved the setup, the early OP, the roles. Absolutely excellent. The T-1000 was a powerful role but also limited as you had to be somewhat of a chameleon and replicate someone else's style of posting which I failed miserably at. Great game overall and a really fun battle back and forth.

Competition codes were great, only thing I'd maybe suggest is giving working people a chance to enter too and maybe having it post lynch. Might suit others to have it mid-day but games I'm involved in I would be relying on co mods to post competition stuff and verify a winner etc as I have no posting access other than my phone in the office unfortunately.

And that isn't a criticism moreso a suggestion for a different option that might suit people better, maybe it's just me it affects in which case ignore me and continue with the mid day as is!

Just a big thanks to running it again beaker, a mammoth task by yourself but managed perfectly well and very impressively.

Re: competition, maybe beaker can share how any out of the 25/23/19?? entered each day. I know it didn't suit me either, but I knew that signing up.

Terminator WW Feedback:

Ill provide more detailed feedback later.

On the above, thats all fair. One idea in hindsight, could have been those who did not enter then could enter another comp later that night after lynch.

That would mean dividing up prizes or making more prizes available.

18 entered the first one out if 25, some of those entering 3 or 4 submissions.

My inbox was flooded. Thankfully it was clear.

18 entered the first one out if 25, some of those entering 3 or 4 submissions.

My inbox was flooded. Thankfully it was clear.

Yeah see it's just a me thing in all fairness. And I think I entered all bar one anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

As a villager, no seer was frustrating, especially as an NRV I couldnt even fake peek people :)

But it didnt stop the village winning, so it all worked out in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I agree Rik, I didn't like the no seer option. I felt the wolves were way overpowered when the village had no chance of getting any concrete information to work on. The wagonomics kinda worked and it worked out in the end but I couldn't see an outcome where the village won that.

I'm also not sure the competition prizes worked as intended. There were a lot of bullets flying around that seriously damaged the village team. (makes the win even more impressive) and I don't know if the traces and scanner were put to best use. Not a criticism of the game mechanics, just another failing on the part of the villagers.

Also not sure if the post limits per day made any difference. I saw someone comment that it was the highest posting game in a while so I assume the limits didn't work? It made no difference to me anyway, I'm usually a middle of the road player postwise so I was never gonna hit the 40 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Weirdly enough, I didnt enjoy the no seer option at the beginning but to be honest, as more info came available it was very good and there no crutch to depend on which kept people digging. I dont think original Angus puts as much effort into looking if there's a seer to fall back. I thought the mechanic of the 3 life Alpha was going to be over but it worked out this time. As we seen its a lot more difficult to mimic another player than I thought.

As for posts counts, im not sure it helped either but it didn't hinder . There was a slowish kill rate so still 20/21 players on Tuesday posting. Id advocate keeping the post limits though because it keeps it manageable when you do pop on after a few hours break and people are being a little restraint.

Great to see the numbers back and great to have smooth subs to slot in and zero mod kills

• Registered Users Posts: 10,505 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Really enjoyed it Beaks, and appreciate the effort that goes into it (and I bet I only know the half of it! )

The shapeshifting T1000 was a great idea. Have to admit, at the beginning I thought the odds were massively in the wolves favour but the mimicry was really tough and obviously the village beat the odds, well done guys

Still not quite sure I see the double lynch killswitch being that useful a power...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i really wanted to play, but life got in the way unfortunately.

However, it got me thinking.... would people be interested in a game where the thread is only open say from 5pm to 10pm each evening. so people in work can still play.

Of course, this would likely be a much smaller game and would probably work best as vanilla as possible, but thought it could be another option to help keep people who want to participate involved.

Advertisement