Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

beakerjoe wrote: »
    How about anon games with new players being non anon.

The other thing I was considering and its been discussed before is having a mentor type situation for new players. It could even be done in Hydra style to take the pressure off in the first game. Also means if a player is struggling to participate and wants to step out you've a ready made sub taking the pressure of new people.

I remember my first game and being in a backroom with experienced players made it so so much more fun and got me back for a 2nd game

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

duffman13 wrote: »
    The other thing I was considering and its been discussed before is having a mentor type situation for new players. It could even be done in Hydra style to take the pressure off in the first game. Also means if a player is struggling to participate and wants to step out you've a ready made sub taking the pressure of new people.

I remember my first game and being in a backroom with experienced players made it so so much more fun and got me back for a 2nd game

Can a mod be capable of being a mentor type figure?

With this Jan game being fairly vanilla and with perhaps less going on in the game thread due to max post counts, I could foresee having time to guide a new player or 2 if needs be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It helps so much if your first game is as a wolf or part of some team in all honesty, just having people to bounce ideas off or ask questions.

I was blessed to have mahamageehad, crosstownk, Strawberry Milkshake (due to STARGATE ;) ) and partyjungle on the same team as me in my first game. They were all really helpful and allowed me to get to grips with the mechanics and WW terminologies :D

I wonder if a backroom for a new player where they can ask things they may be unsure of would work, you could have an experienced player OR the game mods there to help them out.

Necro wrote: »
    It helps so much if your first game is as a wolf or part of some team in all honesty, just having people to bounce ideas off or ask questions.

I was blessed to have mahamageehad, crosstownk, Strawberry Milkshake (due to STARGATE ;) ) and partyjungle on the same team as me in my first game. They were all really helpful and allowed me to get to grips with the mechanics and WW terminologies :D

I wonder if a backroom for a new player where they can ask things they may be unsure of would work, you could have an experienced player OR the game mods there to help them out.

Yeah TWD was my first one, Kolido and Strawbs holding my hand! It makes a huge difference having someone experienced with you and meant I signed straight up to the next one. I think a BR to bounce something of the mods at a minimum for a new player should be put in place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Neowise

Yeah TWD was my first one, Kolido and Strawbs holding my hand! It makes a huge difference having someone experienced with you and meant I signed straight up to the next one. I think a BR to bounce something of the mods at a minimum for a new player should be put in place

Every player in the die hard game had a backroom, teams, roled players and vanilla villagers.

• Advertisement

Neowise wrote: »
    Every player in the die hard game had a backroom, teams, roled players and vanilla villagers.

Its a nice touch to even just have somewhere to splurge thoughts, makes a difference

How did the vanilla villagers find it?

Was it used often?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just to be clear a mirror COP was set up sKeith and functions perfectly being used in Die Hard. Just incase that's putting people off playing games. Also the discord chat server has less traffic than off topic thread to be honest :) it has been used to any great extent in the last 8 or 9 months
    Hmm I was sure someone told me that COP was out of action. Maybe it was down for a bit. I dunno.

Did we not trial a BR/mentor for new players in a previous game? I seem to recall something of the sort. Maybe all new players could have a BR? Although even as a NRV I love having a backroom to throw stuff at the walls. So much easier than trying to sort out my thoughts on a piece of paper or on a word document.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Was it used often?

I used mine maybe 4 times I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Silence of the wolves was my first game and I thought it was the perfect introduction.

Non-anon, vanilla, max post counts, closed nights. All the ingredients rolled into one. (it ran a bit long in the end, but a shorter version monthly could be a snazzy way to scoop up interested newbies and pepper them with experienced players who prefer the less complex games for support and guidance.

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    Silence of the wolves was my first game and I thought it was the perfect introduction.

Non-anon, vanilla, max post counts, closed nights. All the ingredients rolled into one. (it ran a bit long in the end, but a shorter version monthly could be a snazzy way to scoop up interested newbies and pepper them with experienced players who prefer the less complex games for support and guidance.

Would it he benefit to have a scaled down OP present a few weeks in advance of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Could do alright. Though maybe a week would be grand?

Sign up threads and ops could also include links to the information threads... Speaking of which, its been a while since I looked at them. Is there anything there like a really basic quickstart guide for absolute beginners?

Necro wrote: »
    I used mine maybe 4 times I think :D

Id be interested to see how much Liz used it and how helpful she found it as shes fairly new to the game and appeared to be having a tough time keeping up in the first half of the game.

One thing I also wondered about is the pressence of lynch vote results.

Would make the experience better or worse for a new player if lynch votes were not provided each night?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I forgot to use mine, ask fellow villagers questions :o

Id be interested to see how much Liz used it and how helpful she found it as shes fairly new to the game and appeared to be having a tough time keeping up in the first half of the game.

I didn't and could only see mine so forgot :o

Three network and slow boards loading made it hard for me catching up and still when I did I was as usual confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

For my 2 cents, backrooms are great. It’s cool to bounce ideas off another person - especially if they’re on your team. So I’d suggest that even vanilla people could have a backroom to post their thoughts. A mod could respond sometimes, and it’s entertaining reading after the game ends to see the thought process.

I don’t like the night lock at all. Sure, we play this when we are bored and not in work. Closing a game at 10pm means fewer random songs and bull posting. A time for the fluffy, and less fluffy people to let their hair down.

Discord is grand, but I was wondering, can anybody get access to the relevant discord server. Still don’t have access to the last game myself. It can be interesting to read other people’s musings.

Whoops - edit. I’d be completely against the idea of having a more experienced player guide a new player along the way. Goes against the spirit of the game IMHO. Sink or swim guys. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I loved the lunchtime competitions! Thought it added a really fun element to it.

Also to add I was a wolf in my first game and it definitely drew me back in because I could bounce everything I was doing off someone else. Really enjoyed it - still probably my favourite game I've played so far, even if I did get modkilled for posting off the wrong account!

I kinda thought too backroom chat was more for if you had a major role, task, power etc., not basic villager with no power

Was it used often?

Only necro used his br. And only about 2 posts.

• Advertisement

Since I brought it up, I may as well say that I had 50 posts in mind when I mentioned it.

Bring minimum posts up to 10, have max posts between 50-75.

If someone hasn't any posts left to deal with something interesting near end of day, well then they've been fluffing the eff out of the place :D

This is only a suggestion I have to try and make games more accessible to all. It's not something I'm fully married to. Also, it would make more work for game mods having to keep track of the post counts of all players and not just the bottom few.

Would having a fresh thread each day be possible? It could help mods out with keeping on top of max post counts.

Monday has a thread. Its then closed post lynch results and a link to Tuesday thread?

Would having a fresh thread each day be possible? It could help mods out with keeping on top of max post counts.

Monday has a thread. Its then closed post lynch results and a link to Tuesday thread?

Makes it more difficult for the players though, having to do 4 ISO searches for each person by day 4.

Whenever I played in a max post game, i would always be aware of my own daily post count and regulated myself.

If game mods want to make it easier, they could post a post count at start of each day, either just before, or just after the munch. That should be enough info to make post counting and checking easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm being nosey, hope you don't mind :p

I may well be on my own here, but I thought I'd add an alternative pov to the scheduling. During lockdown I'm working from home and at a computer 9am-5pm... but I'm a lazy, distractable, b-gger and could fit some play in around that!

From 5pm-8pm-ish, and weekends, it's all about the kids for me. That's actually what stops me playing. I appreciate other people probably work harder than me, but I would be tempted in by a working hours game...

Just thought I'd mention it in case a few people said "you know what? Me too" :D

Games start on Sundays here but i think its pretty well known here that if its an anon game, I wont be seen till Monday. I post during work times and I post after the kids are gone to bed (usually after 7:30) so there's definitely scope for you to play the games just as I do.

And I dont play all the time, about 3 or 4 games per year at the moment which is mostly down to work and busy times. Most games here have enough killing power in the game that its over by Friday, so you could sign up and play knowing that you're probably going to be free by the weekend coming.

I'm all about the kids too. But there's definitely room to play and room not to be here when its kids time. Plus, you have a phone, you can get in the odd minute here or there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

What can I do to lure you back for the Jan game?

Just depends on my work schedule. It is the financial year end and I am the accountant. But I am still working part time. need to see when it runs

Just depends on my work schedule. It is the financial year end and I am the accountant. But I am still working part time. need to see when it runs

24th of Jan. Again, its gonna be a lite game, vanillia ish (a small amount of non complex roles, OP will hopefully be available at least a week in advance).

Im trying to incorporate as many suggestions as possible, such as a max post count, a closed night thread and mid day prize game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I kinda thought too backroom chat was more for if you had a major role, task, power etc., not basic villager with no power

if you're the kind of person who struggles to keep track of the games, having a backroom even as a vanilla can be nice to record your own thoughts without fear of reprisal :)

I'd forget a lot of what happened 3 pages ago, let alone what happened yesterday when it comes to games. I normally try to keep a notepad document, but the backroom is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

24th of Jan. Again, its gonna be a lite game, vanillia ish (a small amount of non complex roles, OP will hopefully be available at least a week in advance).

Im trying to incorporate as many suggestions as possible, such as a max post count, a closed night thread and mid day prize game.

I am working Monday and Thursday that week, but do have the Pain clinic on the tuesday, no idea how that will go. I should manage as long as I don't get killed of while at work!

I will see if Grumpy is interested, she is starting a new job soon, so don't know if its from home or in the office.

It would have its merits, but as Neowise pointed out it's more hassle than is needed.

We'd be trying to make WW more accessible and user friendly by...creating more threads :D

If mods were to try this post maximum limit in a game, I'd suggest taking a screenshot of the page which has everyone's post count after closing the thread each night. Just compare each new screenshot to that of the night before to keep track of the post counts for each day. So in a game with a 50 post per day max, if Beaker has 25 posts by 10pm on Day 1, and 74 posts by 10pm on Day 2, he is within the post max limit on Day 2.

It would have its merits, but as Neowise pointed out it's more hassle than is needed.

We'd be trying to make WW more accessible and user friendly by...creating more threads :D

If mods were to try this post maximum limit in a game, I'd suggest taking a screenshot of the page which has everyone's post count after closing the thread each night. Just compare each new screenshot to that of the night before to keep track of the post counts for each day. So in a game with a 50 post per day max, if Beaker has 25 posts by 10pm on Day 1, and 74 posts by 10pm on Day 2, he is within the post max limit on Day 2.

In your example, i'd have beaker as 24 posts too many on day 2.
    Each day has a post count not to exceed, not to include unused spare posts from previous days. Thats just my take on it, but others views may vary.

edit: never mind.. i took it up wrong, 74 is a total post count, not a daily... oops......
    Please ignore me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In your example, i'd have beaker as 24 posts too many on day 2.
    Each day has a post count not to exceed, not to include unused spare posts from previous days. Thats just my take on it, but others views may vary.

No, the o count would be the total post count for the thread so, 49 posts on day two

I see he copped it :D

Advertisement