Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thought the game itself flowed brilliantly.

COP will be raised as an issue. It's so bloody slow, but I know this isn't something people aren't aware of.

I did like majority voting as an idea, but I always feel "Speed Days" can be massively hurtful to players who simply cannot commit every second of every day to a game. I appreciate as a game nears an end, and everyone has agreed who is next to go, they can become a necessary evil though. But I feel sorry for people who, say, get lynched because they can't mount a defense for themselves, be it cause of school, work or other commitments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lord TSC wrote: »

COP will be raised as an issue. It's so bloody slow, but I know this isn't something people aren't aware of.

I did like majority voting as an idea, but I always feel "Speed Days" can be massively hurtful to players who simply cannot commit every second of every day to a game. I appreciate as a game nears an end, and everyone has agreed who is next to go, they can become a necessary evil though. But I feel sorry for people who, say, get lynched because they can't mount a defense for themselves, be it cause of school, work or other commitments.

Yeah, COP is a big problem. I'm hoping this thread might raise ways to improve it, or if necessary offer possible alternatives to how we run the backrooms. It's very difficult to get everything on time for a munch in particular as a game mod when the site is lagging like it's stuck in a jar of treacle.

On the majority voting, the upside to it is that the players decide when to end the day, not the mods so there could be time offered to a player to mount a defence in some places (althought not when a seer outs and you're peeked Lordy :P )

I do recognise that not all mod teams have availability to be able to run majority voting of course though, so perhaps some form of hybrid compromise could be reached in replace of speed days. I don't know, it's a mod team specific issue really at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Lord TSC wrote: »

That's why majority trumps speed days. If the majority decided they have made a decision, the minority cannot hold them up. Over half the people in the game is a majority. The mods don't need to ask the village to vote or thank this thread for speed days, it's built in. If there is not a majority, the game does not speed up.

I liked the majority voting. It adds a bit of excitement.

Not too sure on the longer days starting with lynch. I was completely honest when I said I had nobody to choose and I’m gonna have to retrain my brain about someone’s first post in the thread looking bad. I suppose I’m used to looking for some clues in the munch and working backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

As Necro said its mod team specific, and requires extra input from game mods. It also favours people who have extra time for games.

I think the majority was really good but maybe suited to later in the game when post counts are lower. If its a choice between speed days and majority, id prob go with majority. If its a choice between normal days and majority days, id only do majority towards the end of a game.

The non-majority method is fairer to everyone. Yes it might be a bit of a slog if you have someone you want to kill by 2pm, but at least all defences have reasonable amount of time to put their point across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Pter wrote: »
    As Necro said its mod team specific, and requires extra input from game mods. It also favours people who have extra time for games.

I think the majority was really good but maybe suited to later in the game when post counts are lower. If its a choice between speed days and majority, id prob go with majority. If its a choice between normal days and majority days, id only do majority towards the end of a game.

The non-majority method is fairer to everyone. Yes it might be a bit of a slog if you have someone you want to kill by 2pm, but at least all defences have reasonable amount of time to put their point across.

It is better with open voting, where you can see how close you are to majority.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Necro wrote: »
    On the majority voting, the upside to it is that the players decide when to end the day, not the mods so there could be time offered to a player to mount a defence in some places (althought not when a seer outs and you're peeked Lordy :P )

Don't worry, I'm used to it by now :P
    sKeith wrote: »
    That's why majority trumps speed days. If the majority decided they have made a decision, the minority cannot hold them up. Over half the people in the game is a majority. The mods don't need to ask the village to vote or thank this thread for speed days, it's built in. If there is not a majority, the game does not speed up.

Oh yeah. And to stress, I'm not criticising it massively. I also saw as an active wolf, it actually could have been a really handy tool to use as well. A group of wolves could actually force the majority vote if done tactically. I do like the idea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I liked the majority voting. It adds a bit of excitement.

Not too sure on the longer days starting with lynch. I was completely honest when I said I had nobody to choose and I’m gonna have to retrain my brain about someone’s first post in the thread looking bad. I suppose I’m used to looking for some clues in the munch and working backwards.

Yeah, it was something we wished to trial, starting the game on a lynch. I recognise it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but we felt it was fairer on all players to get at least a full day in the game.

Plus, we had a Tom Bombadil to break up the length ;)

If you liked something in the game guys, the form for nominations for the 2019 awards can be found here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109165894#post109165894

Just asking now while everything is fresh in the mind!

Mods feel free to toot your own horns.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Mary WW

Maybe it just worked well here and for me playing and being online but I liked the majority voting as it meant the game concluded at a natural time and with a natural flow that the village dictsated, does not always seem to happen that way on speed days.

Not so much feedback but, why no Gollum? Riddles/dual characters done too recently?

umm signing out now, password as it was originally, Mary WW out

• Advertisement

Mary WW wrote: »
    Maybe it just worked well here and for me playing and being online but I liked the majority voting as it meant the game concluded at a natural time and with a natural flow that the village dictsated, does not always seem to happen that way on speed days.

Not so much feedback but, why no Gollum? Riddles/dual characters done too recently?

umm signing out now, password as it was originally, Mary WW out

:pac::pac: Put your clothes back on Mary!

Gollum wasn't included as the game was primarily based around the first book/movie of which he doesn't play a large part in.

I had actually designed a role for him had we hit 30 players though which involved a lot of confusion and anguish for roled players.

I can reveal it if people wish though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Pretty much perfect game imo. Nice setup, nice flavour, interesting roles, and well balanced which is difficult for a game with 4 teams. Going into the final stages everyone still had a chance to win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

:pac::pac: Put your clothes back on Mary!

Gollum wasn't included as the game was primarily based around the first book/movie of which he doesn't play a large part in.

I had actually designed a role for him had we hit 30 players though which involved a lot of confusion and anguish for roled players.

I can reveal it if people wish though.

And why no ents either :(:(:( :eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

:P:):pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

deconduo wrote: »
    Pretty much perfect game imo. Nice setup, nice flavour, interesting roles, and well balanced which is difficult for a game with 4 teams. Going into the final stages everyone still had a chance to win.

Majority voting worked well, though it's prefer if it kicked in on day 3 instead of 2 just to get one more long day in.

Lots of information given in the OP, with the right amount of key info kept behind to keep things interesting.

QB, if we included everything there'd be no room for a sequel at some stage in the future.... :P

Sequel you say???? In.

Majority voting worked well, though it's prefer if it kicked in on day 3 instead of 2 just to get one more long day in.

Lots of information given in the OP, with the right amount of key info kept behind to keep things interesting.

Thanks deco, really appreciate that. Can't take credit for the flavour really though, that's copyright of JRR Tolkien for the most part :)

Was thinking maj might have been better holding off till day 3 personally too, but in saying that as it happened that's the way it worked out anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Comments on the game:
    Really enjoyed my short time in the game, good pacing and I really really loved the majority voting yesterday. It allowed me (Henry), to make what I believed to be my best option in the situation I was faced with. I knew Des was telling the truth because I knew Clodagh was lying. The best way to resolve it was with my death. I was able to vote for myself in the lynch to reach the majority and show Clodagh for the lying sneak she was. I would've had to spend the entire day trying to convince everyone to vote for me otherwise and it is a problem with games that they can sometimes drag out when a decision has been made and everyone is just waiting for the lynch time. I would definitely incorporate this into future games but agree that it's better to leave it till day 3 to start it and to use it instead of speed days.

Also really liked the poisoning mechanic. I've tried to incorporate a conversion mechanic into a game before and just couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly without the fear of the game being over on day 1 coz someone shoots the Typhoid Mary. This was the best way around that I think so kudos to the mods for the innovation. Will deffo be nominating that for the Wolfies (if it hasn't been already).

Subbing - IMO if a sub is being used and discussion of subs is disallowed in the game thread then I think the mods should announce the sub on the thread. There were questions about previous Henry's vote for Frank on day 1 that I just couldn't explain. It nearly got me lynched.

MVP of the game for me was Desmond. Fantastic debut for Teddy and I do hope he sticks around. Will also be getting a nod from me for best debut in the Wolfies.

Congrats to the village on once again pulling the flaming underpants out of the fire and winning the game. I was sure ye were done for with the amount of wolves left when I died. And well done to the mods for a really beautifully run game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

My Two cents:

I liked the majority feedback, but as mentioned it might be better used from day three onwards. I enjoyed the surprise Tom Bomadil appearance. Is this a tool that has been used before for new players? It seems like a special effort was made in this case. As it was, short and sweet, and didn't affect the game at all except for players going a bit meta at one stage. That's our own fault though.

The starting with no D0 and beginning on a lynch was a bit jarring, felt like we were all kind of standing around looking at each other awkwardly for a bit. I can see the sense of it though as D0 is a weird limbo no mans land at the moment where stuff isn't supposed to count but really sorta kinda does when it suits.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Comments on the game:
    Really enjoyed my short time in the game, good pacing and I really really loved the majority voting yesterday. It allowed me (Henry), to make what I believed to be my best option in the situation I was faced with. I knew Des was telling the truth because I knew Clodagh was lying. The best way to resolve it was with my death. I was able to vote for myself in the lynch to reach the majority and show Clodagh for the lying sneak she was. I would've had to spend the entire day trying to convince everyone to vote for me otherwise and it is a problem with games that they can sometimes drag out when a decision has been made and everyone is just waiting for the lynch time. I would definitely incorporate this into future games but agree that it's better to leave it till day 3 to start it and to use it instead of speed days.

Also really liked the poisoning mechanic. I've tried to incorporate a conversion mechanic into a game before and just couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly without the fear of the game being over on day 1 coz someone shoots the Typhoid Mary. This was the best way around that I think so kudos to the mods for the innovation. Will deffo be nominating that for the Wolfies (if it hasn't been already).

Subbing - IMO if a sub is being used and discussion of subs is disallowed in the game thread then I think the mods should announce the sub on the thread. There were questions about previous Henry's vote for Frank on day 1 that I just couldn't explain. It nearly got me lynched.

Congrats to the village on once again pulling the flaming underpants out of the fire and winning the game. I was sure ye were done for with the amount of wolves left when I died. And well done to the mods for a really beautifully run game.

Thanks a mill Molly, yeah the poisoning mechanic I think is really cool. It's a discussion point in itself for the entire day. Hopefully some other mods will use it in the future again.

On the sub thing, it's a double edged sword. We could have confirmed you as a sub and the wolves might have killed you as they thought you were a role, or the village might have lynched you as they thought you might be a wolf replacement. I take on board what you're saying though, subbing is difficult to handle, but thanks so much for stepping up when required.

And congrats again on the job :)

fixxxer wrote: »
    My Two cents:

I liked the majority feedback, but as mentioned it might be better used from day three onwards. I enjoyed the surprise Tom Bomadil appearance. Is this a tool that has been used before for new players? It seems like a special effort was made in this case. As it was, short and sweet, and didn't affect the game at all except for players going a bit meta at one stage. That's our own fault though.

The starting with no D0 and beginning on a lynch was a bit jarring, felt like we were all kind of standing around looking at each other awkwardly for a bit. I can see the sense of it though as D0 is a weird limbo no mans land at the moment where stuff isn't supposed to count but really sorta kinda does when it suits.

I don't believe it has been used before but maybe it's something that other mods could consider again if they have a mate or someone who wants to trial WW. It kinda was tailored.

Just on the Bombadil role, this was not randomised, it was pre planned and given to Fourier.

All other roles in the game were subject to the randomisation process, but this one was left out as it was specific and time limited.

Personally I would have kept Bombadil in for another few phases but so as to not influence the game we made the decision to remove him before the game proper started.

• Advertisement

DRAFTING!!!!???!!!! YOU CAD!!!!!! DRAFTING HAS NO PLACE IN THIS FORUM.

Joking, i dont mind :)

Re: COP issues; the March mods are considering using Discord for our backrooms.

My Two cents:

I disagree with what you say about Tom and the meta. It's not my fault for going very meta on night 1, I tried hard not to and even expressed frustration at doing so...but the handling of certain events left no other way.

I disagree with what you say about Tom and the meta. It's not my fault for going very meta on night 1, I tried hard not to and even expressed frustration at doing so...but the handling of certain events left no other way.

Ah look Stu, you're correct in saying we should have clarified at the time of the reveal. As I said in the backroom you guys probably give me too much credit for crazy complexities such as the Gollum/hydra role you devised - I'm jealous of that btw :pac:

We didn't expect the players to go into deep tunnel mode on what else could be in the game based off Bombadil, so I apologise for that, it's on me primarily.

We didn't expect the players to go into deep tunnel mode on what else could be in the game based off Bombadil, so I apologise for that, it's on me primarily.

Drumpot was playing but you didn’t expect anyone to tunnel??? You gotta be kidding me!!!

:P

Sorry Stu, I'm speaking for the group when I shouldn't.

I'd been reading background stuff on LotR and saw a few things on Tom that had mentioned a theory that he was (a? The?) God and could have intervened but chose not to. It was fresh in my mind and made perfect sense with what I saw in have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Thanks for the game mods, great craic as usual, and a low post count meant it wasn't blistering to catch up in the morning, I was tending to take off around 6pm until the morning and usually only had about 100 posts to catch up on, which was nice, I think the busiest was like 350-400 which is a daily rate in most games.

Really liked the majority lynch mechanic, got a hop when it landed so I think a mod posting that we were close to majority or even open voting would be a better way to continue it but it worked 100% as used here, way better than speed days and would love to see it back.

Thats the gist of it tbh, good game all round

Thanks for the game mods, great craic as usual, and a low post count meant it wasn't blistering to catch up in the morning, I was tending to take off around 6pm until the morning and usually only had about 100 posts to catch up on, which was nice, I think the busiest was like 350-400 which is a daily rate in most games.

Really liked the majority lynch mechanic, got a hop when it landed so I think a mod posting that we were close to majority or even open voting would be a better way to continue it but it worked 100% as used here, way better than speed days and would love to see it back.

Thats the gist of it tbh, good game all round

We were just talking about this, the post rate was very manageable in this game actually which I think made it a better game all round? Note to future self LOL!

Yeah open voting is something I considered, the issue (as with FFAs) is that if you put down a format for submitting and some people inevitably don't follow it, it might lead to issues in counting the votes. But I'm considering trialling it in the future to see if it works.

Hard luck btw, I really did think if the vig didn't shoot you this morning you had a massive chance, unfortunately it wasn't to be. You did well! As did all the evil teams tbf.

Re: Discord for backrooms, is there a way to archive or view the rooms for after the game? My guilty pleasure is reading through the backrooms after, so would be a shame to lose that.

• Advertisement

Re: Discord for backrooms, is there a way to archive or view the rooms for after the game? My guilty pleasure is reading through the backrooms after, so would be a shame to lose that.

Yeah they can be viewable on the server, I'm interested in if it might work actually, might be a nice change.

Only issue for a read back is you'd likely have to scroll all the way to the beginning of each page which might be a pain but it's definitely worth a shot to see how it goes.

Advertisement