Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hey guys, this us like coming back after letting Necro loose on a WW thread

Just picked out some things I agreed and disagreed with and I've some suggestions

Neowise wrote: »
    It should be policy to lynch low and no poster's, not rely on mods to get rid of them. .

I don't agree with this, I think it gives wolves an easy place to hide and kinda takes away from the whole information gathering phase. I would be in favour of something where the wolves were compelled to take out a low poster but to counter this the village lose some or all of their powers
    Necro wrote: »
    Thing with Werewolf is we don't utilise the weekends as much as we maybe should in some cases.

Would it be an idea to start games on a Friday?

I agree with a lot of what people say. I find the role claiming is ruining games. A lot of games these days are just a matter of getting to Tuesday and then grinding out the victory from there. I would ban role claiming altogether in complex games. You have the info you need to be able to use it, breadcrumb it for when youre dead.

I'd agree with Molly that I enjoy the more vanilla games with just a couple of extra characters thrown in. I can see though how game mods want to run a more complex game. Remember when we had lunchtime competitions? I f**king loved them

FWIW I think this Die Hard is probably the best put together game, although I'd agree on needing to know the factions. I thought the balance was great. Agreed with games being draining if you're in them until the end though

Agree also on the timing of the games, I think its a great idea by Drumpot to have a closed time during the day

Maybe trial a game where we have two hours in the morning 9-11am and maybe four in the evening 6-10pm. It would allow players like Ecto to get involved.

I don't know if more games is the solution. I think a targeted recruitment drive would work theres 40 people doing my January quiz, EN had something similar, these people are visiting each day. Surely we can convince some to try either a one nighter or a vanilla game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Neowise

Regarding anon accounts.
    In the run up to the game I tested the anon accounts and could not gain access to below accounts.

Ewan WW
    Liam WW
    Winifred WW
    Isla WW

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I hope people wont mind if for Silent Hill 2 nobody has any clue what roles are in the game because that would completely break from the Silent Hill game type. There would of course be similarities with the first game, but not the same :)

I modded 3 games in 2020 and played just 1. That's an all-time low for me as a player since I joined the forum in 2017.

A few reasons...

- My new schedule and life since the lockdown restrictions kicked in does not lend itself at all to me playing or modding. I just about got the Witcher done in April before things really changed for me, but then with Lost in September and Rick and Morty in November these games wouldn't have happened but for the drive of co-mods like Necro and Baggly. Barney and Clara were important hands in those games as well, but I think they'll know what I mean here :)

- When I do get a rare opportunity to play these days (like Die Hard at Christmas) I just don't want to put myself through that week-long rollercoaster and drain with the small bit of time off where I get to relax. That's a personal thing though, because when I play WW I go deep and overall the week probably doesn't have the best effects on my physical or mental health. There are other kinds of players though who can switch on for a couple of hours each day and detach themselves easily.

- No one's fault, but some players I liked playing with have moved on for whatever reasons and I don't feel quite as attached to the community these days.

- On that note, I do feel that Discord has swayed a lot of the craic and WW talk away from the forum. Like, that WW Off-Topic forum used to have new posts :eek: I've tried to get into Discord multiple times and I just can't abide it. WW will always be a Boards/COP (or clone) attraction for me. I've made some friends and acquaintances here and had good nights out with them without the need for Discord. So, while I do respect that it's a fun and sociable outlet for much of the community, for me it has detracted from WW's strength and presence on Boards.

That's not to say though that Discord is to blame on any substantial level for WW declining on Boards. It's not. Frankly, us game creators have more to answer for. There have been some batshít crazy games which barely resemble WW as I originally came to know and love it. Other players might feel that way too, that these days you just can't be even nearly sure what you're letting yourself in for when signing up for a WW game. "Complex" is very broad and offers no great insight.

As a player and a mod, I do like a clear enough OP which gives the players almost all of the info they need to play a game. Don't spoon-feed the players, but don't make the OP a mystery character in itself. It can be hard enough playing against and trying to suss out your fellow players, never mind the game mods as well. If you are to have a big OP secret, make it one which will be revealed eventually and/or one which a number of players know about from the start. E.g. The Others in September's Lost game.

I think we should look at ways to ensure more sign-ups actually participate on gameweek, and in the event they can't us game mods need to be better equipped to deal with drop-outs. One way to do that would be to be stress the importance of subs in the sign-up thread. Really make an effort to get 3-5 subs and not just treat it as an afterthought.

Another way to make it easier for players to participate is to try and limit the off-putting high amount of posts players may have to read upon returning to the gamethread. Closing a gamethread overnight from 10pm until 9am would help. That way, there's still an hour after the lynch to discuss the event, and an hour before munch to let shenanigans and ploys begin. Also, there are rules about posting minimums in games but what about looking at posting maximums? Not every game needs 3000+ posts. I've long been a fan of quality over quantity when it came to post counts.

I'm not due to mod again until November. If I haven't gotten back to playing some games by July/August, I will be giving up that November slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Rikand wrote: »
    I hope people wont mind if for Silent Hill 2 nobody has any clue what roles are in the game because that would completely break from the Silent Hill game type. There would of course be similarities with the first game, but not the same :)

I loved the Silent Hill game. It was probably one of my favourite games ever and I will be signing up for part 2 no matter when you run it.

I do like the really complex games but I think it is important to draw some new people into the games and even vanilla games can be confusing as a newbie. I like the idea of offering some alternatives with some alternative schedules and trying to draw people in that way...then they can play Rikkiplex :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Rikand wrote: »

their response :: " Pfft, werewolf is only for boring nerds. "

Hey! I may be boring. And a nerd. But... Wait what was the other thing?

Agreed on the whole post game deflation. Its something that I've struggled with since starting to play.

Has anyone ever come across a structured debrief template? I think something like that after a game would s be amazing. Work through the game in detail, what worked, what didn't, what was great play, what sucked, not only would it help us chatting, but it could also help us to work together to become better players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I'd like to mirror the comments that LoughC made.

I stopped playing for a while because of the abuse during the game. I know it's part of the game and there's a thin line between what's abuse and what's not.

I also had a thin skin at the time and just wasn't able for it. I like Stu get very mentally involved in the game so it is personal, it doesn't matter how much you say it's not.

In a few games last year I've pointed out to other players that they've crossed the line and to be fair they've always always stopped. I would encourage that behaviour and maybe our standard rules need to include more of this mentality.

However the games in general have gotten more agro compared to when I first played when it was more about wording analysis, post counts, FFA, post reviews. Actual analysis. This takes time and effort, I guess it's easier to be agro.

My solution is that an external mod is appointment to monitor tone and send a few.calm the **** down PMs to people during games.

Regarding newbies they are picked on and I hate it. It discourages them to play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

I had a huge post written and well boards screwed me :D

I thought Covid would increase people playing but its been the opposite. Numbers have been dropping steadily for a good while even though we've had a few new players recently which is actually good to see.

On schedule:
    I think the current schedule is grand although there is a lot of scope for smaller games that are way more vanilla to be run mid month. Id be happy to participate. I also think we should look at weekend long games just to try it out and see what kind of interest is there. Seems to be a few players who can't commit to week long games.

The games themselves, I love complex games as a player and a mod but maybe they are off putting for some people. I've found one or two games frustrating this year which isn't something I'd said before. No issues with some dynamics but when its Wednesday or Thursday and its feeling like a chore then I can see why people opt out for a while.

There also might be scope in a bigger game to look at the schedule for lynch and munches, 10am and 9pm work fine but in a 20-25 player game there might be scope to change it somewhat. Im still thinking on this one

Feedback - a huge amount of time goes into games by mods and tbh as a result I find it hard to be critical of a game in the aftermath. That's maybe a me issue but just wanted to put it out there. I personally like feedback after a game but perhaps I could be better at giving it.

To attract new players
    A hydra or mentored kind of game for novice (played less than 3 games maybe?)once or twice a year, run over maybe a day or two days with experienced players, may attract some new FG players into the game. It would give them a good footing to get started

Backrooms
    Mentioned by a few but I dislike discord. Personal preference but using COP is better IMO and I'm much more likely post game to flick through that than discord to see what went on.

Personal abuse
    I seen two or three people mention this. I've nodded a game where this happened and it was pretty poor form. There is a difference though between personal abuse and playing the game. As a wolf in the last game I was peeked on N0 and had to go after Orla for flimsy reasons to force a mislynch. So when Orla did come back on she was getting a lot of heat about where she was etc. Ive seem people mention they need to justify where they have been but you don't if you don't want to but people will angle it for their gain much like when someone genies in :D That's part of the game but if someone feels like a line was overstepped in any game id implore you to report to the mods. Id hate to think I negatively impacted someone's game and self awareness is not most peoples strong point least not me :)

Community
    I genuinely feel like this side of boards has a great community and needs to be maintained and promoted. I've posted more here than anywhere else on boards by a country mile and that's down to the people and the effort put in.

Clarabel wrote: »
    Regarding newbies they are picked on and I hate it. It discourages them to play again.

:) I always feel some players get picked on (Necro) for not being new.

I think the last game was very welcoming to new players and maybe that's something to do with them not playing anon and people not being paranoid playing a game

duffman13 wrote: »

I think the last game was very welcoming to new players and maybe that's something to do with them not playing anon and people not being paranoid playing a game

Necro absolutely gets picked on. I often feel very sorry for him.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm being nosey, hope you don't mind :p

I may well be on my own here, but I thought I'd add an alternative pov to the scheduling. During lockdown I'm working from home and at a computer 9am-5pm... but I'm a lazy, distractable, b-gger and could fit some play in around that!

From 5pm-8pm-ish, and weekends, it's all about the kids for me. That's actually what stops me playing. I appreciate other people probably work harder than me, but I would be tempted in by a working hours game...

Just thought I'd mention it in case a few people said "you know what? Me too" :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Necro absolutely gets picked on. I often feel very sorry for him.....

That comes with the territory, it doesn't bother me tbh. I think non anon games are more welcoming in the main anyways, because if the new player is hidden behind an anon account (unless they specifically request it), there's no way of telling whether it's a ruse or not. They're given latitude to find their feet particularly in the first few days.

I'm being nosey, hope you don't mind :p

I may well be on my own here, but I thought I'd add an alternative pov to the scheduling. During lockdown I'm working from home and at a computer 9am-5pm... but I'm a lazy, distractable, b-gger and could fit some play in around that!

From 5pm-8pm, and weekends, it's all about the kids for me. That's actually what stops me playing. I appreciate other people probably work harder than me, but I would be tempted in by a working hours game...

Just thought I'd mention it in case a few people said "you know what? Me too" :D

Not at all EN - and that used to be me as well, working hours was when I did my best thinking, playing. Unfortunately with the new place Boards and the backrooms are blocked so I'm reduced to phone play. Not massively hindering, but makes it more difficult to run a game unfortunately.

Definitely it seems to be a lot easier for some to play during working hours, and certainly may be an option in terms of schedule.

Have your munch at 9am and lynch at 5pm, closing the thread for the night period to posting. Would give people a lot of time to unwind and do family things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

How about anon games with new players being non anon.

Scheduling is a tough one.

In the next game I intend to work off this schedule.

Thread open
    9am lynch.
    930 results
    10 pm thread closed.

9am night actions confirmed.
    10am thread open, night actions announced.

Im open to the idea of a pause between 10am and 9pm, though Im mindful that players may be available at paused times and unavailable at unpaused times.

Ive seen people enjoy the lunchtime prizes comps. Are these something that people would be comfortable using in a vanilla game?

The Terminator theme appears to be winning and I had no intention of putting prize competitions in my theme. If its something people think make a positive impact then I will add them in.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ive seen people enjoy the lunchtime prizes comps. Are these something that people would be comfortable using in a vanilla game? .

I loved the prizes, miss them in games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My two cents - I stopped playing as I can’t commit to the levels of posting that some people can and I know low posting annoys other players and I just got tired of that argument.

I’m another one who doesn’t like the back rooms being on Discord as I don’t find them as easy to read back / catch up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

- On that note, I do feel that Discord has swayed a lot of the craic and WW talk away from the forum. Like, that WW Off-Topic forum used to have new posts :eek: I've tried to get into Discord multiple times and I just can't abide it. WW will always be a Boards/COP (or clone) attraction for me. I've made some friends and acquaintances here and had good nights out with them without the need for Discord. So, while I do respect that it's a fun and sociable outlet for much of the community, for me it has detracted from WW's strength and presence on Boards.

I just wanted to agree with what Stu and others have said here. I am not a fan of discord at all for WW games. It seems too temporary compared to the old COP backroom. I understand that site got broken so fair enough but I find discord very difficult to follow and I'd be especially reluctant to play a game where that's where the backrooms are. And FWIW I think having discord as a general chatroom for the forum has destroyed any bants that might have went on in the off-topic thread here which is a real pity. I really enjoyed that thread but it's died a death recently.

kitten_k wrote: »
    My two cents - I stopped playing as I can’t commit to the levels of posting that some people can and I know low posting annoys other players and I just got tired of that argument.

I’m another one who doesn’t like the back rooms being on Discord as I don’t find them as easy to read back / catch up on.

I can confirm discord will not be used in the up coming Jan game.

Regarding post counts Ive been thinking of a way to incorporate a max post count.

With regards the max post count, how many posts would people feel is appropriate per player.

Say theres 15 players, what would be an appropriate max posts per players that would be handy enough to read through. 15 per player? 30 per player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Neowise

With regards the max post count, how many posts would people feel is appropriate per player.

Say theres 15 players, what would be an appropriate max posts per players that would be handy enough to read through. 15 per player? 30 per player?

55 per person per day should put weights on the most chatty of players with out impacting the majority.

• Advertisement

Prob with max post counts is that you get to it ans then something interesting happens and you’re snookered

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The issue with max posts is that what if you are being questioned re: roles or why you have voted whichever way when you only have a couple of posts left for the day. If you fail to defend yourself on thread people will take that as you being silent or evasive and put a target on your back.

Again this is just from me watching games unfold/reading them, so I could be way off the mark there.

Edit: G&R got there before me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Any max post counts should prob be lifted an hour or two prior to lynch, imo.

Green&Red wrote: »
    Prob with max post counts is that you get to it ans then something interesting happens and you’re snookered

It would eliminate some fluff and make people be more cautious perhaps about filling their post count.

I think it could make things interesting too. You spot something but you cant say until next day. Next day comes and you may looks suspicious not saying it yesterday

Thats a great remedy.

Didn't we have a max count game before?

In think that worked well. BH was the mod ifrc

Didn't we have a max count game before?

In think that worked well. BH was the mod ifrc

Silence of the Wolves had a max post count per day, lifted 2hrs prior to the lynch.

That was in place because it was a long phase game mind. I think a normal game also had a max post count.

Since I brought it up, I may as well say that I had 50 posts in mind when I mentioned it.

Bring minimum posts up to 10, have max posts between 50-75.

If someone hasn't any posts left to deal with something interesting near end of day, well then they've been fluffing the eff out of the place :D

This is only a suggestion I have to try and make games more accessible to all. It's not something I'm fully married to. Also, it would make more work for game mods having to keep track of the post counts of all players and not just the bottom few.

There's a good amendment to the suggestion.

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I just wanted to agree with what Stu and others have said here. I am not a fan of discord at all for WW games. It seems too temporary compared to the old COP backroom. I understand that site got broken so fair enough but I find discord very difficult to follow and I'd be especially reluctant to play a game where that's where the backrooms are. And FWIW I think having discord as a general chatroom for the forum has destroyed any bants that might have went on in the off-topic thread here which is a real pity. I really enjoyed that thread but it's died a death recently.

Just to be clear a mirror COP was set up sKeith and functions perfectly being used in Die Hard. Just incase that's putting people off playing games. Also the discord chat server has less traffic than off topic thread to be honest :) it has been used to any great extent in the last 8 or 9 months

Advertisement