Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I wouldn’t let Great Thunberg or any 16 year old decide what I was having for my Tea .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

blinding wrote: »
    I wouldn’t let Great Thunberg or any 16 year old decide what I was having for my Tea .

You don’t have to. She is pointing to established climate science yet it seems that some of the least academically/technically qualified boardsies have a problem with the science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You don’t have to. She is pointing to established climate science yet it seems that some of the least academically/technically qualified boardsies have a problem with the science.
    She should go back to school and get a good education . Then she could show us she is educated enough to interpret all of the science and not just be a public relations front for others .

The manipulation of a 16 year old by others is not an edifying site .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

What qualifies you to say what is true and false in climate science, or do just go along with the populist option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

blinding wrote: »

Plenty of the climate experts on here would,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'd love to get stuck in on this debate but I fear that we have gone way off the topic of Mammy Finucane's radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This is the Marian Finucane show thread.

I had to check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

jay0109 wrote: »
    So the Media are going to decide who FG can/cannot run in Wexford. A hit job on the Marian Finucane Show followed by a full on attack on the Saturday with Cormac O'HEadhra Show.
    Disgusting

Media victory
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/verona-murphy-confirms-she-has-been-removed-as-a-fine-gael-general-election-candidate-38796337.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭elperello

jay0109 wrote: »

In football terms -

VM own goal.

Manager dropped her from team because she made him look bad.

I always enjoy the MF show when Brendan’s hosting it. To me anyway, he seems to put people at ease, allows the conversation to flow most of the time, and enjoys listening to the guests. I thought he was good with Leo V last week; why can’t RTE give him a proper, real, full time gig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

how much pr do these woman's heart lot need to sell three nights of a concert ?,she's been flogging it for the last 2 months , maybe people don't want to resssurect nightmares eleanor ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Fair play to Wallis Bird for nailing those three chords :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Fair play to Wallis Bird for nailing those three chords :-)

As only a woman's hands can do.

Cavan Maguire clocks in to this show more frequently than Marion .... so he does .

Way too much cooking on this show. It's just filler. I can't imagine anybody taking notes on this for use on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's been about 30 turkey and "all the trimmings" recipes on radio 1 since last Monday

Neven is the Daniel O'Donnell of Irish cooking.
    Just a nice guy who is good at his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

sligojoek wrote: »
    There's been about 30 turkey and "all the trimmings" recipes on radio 1 since last Monday

Enough to send you running to the chippie :mad:

elperello wrote: »
    Neven is the Daniel O'Donnell of Irish cooking.
    Just a nice guy who is good at his job.

Very shrewd operator el, able to get thousands in free advertising .

Fair play to him, but don’t be fooled by the ‘ just a nice guy ‘ projection.

Not saying he is not a nice guy, but he is not “just a nice guy who is good at his job”.

Stuff like the key he has to RTE studios don’t happen by accident.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Cooking on the radio?
    Why?
    Who sits by the radio taking notes from Nevin Maguire, I’m sorry but cooking is visual.

On the plus side I think Brendan is doing a great job sitting in for Marion.

• Advertisement

Agree with the above, I'm sure Neven is a nice guy, but this is an incredible gig for him. No offence to him but he's just a chef, yet he gets a regular spot on national radio that is rarely afforded to any other working class man to promote their wares. It's ridiculous that they have him on the show so often, talking about subjects that aren't even suited to the radio - but if I were him, I would be bringing a cigarette shaped coffee cake with me every time I travelled down the Nwhatever to RTE, and not asking any questions.

Just a chef !

He's a phenomenon.

Chef proprietor at MacNean House Restaurant, teacher, demonstrator, accommodation provider, author.

He employs more than 50 people in Blacklion, Co. Cavan, a small border village. There is a wait of up to six months to get a reservation.

Since when is food and fine wine an unsuitable subject for radio?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Just a chef !

When it's too often and by the same person.

Nevin is the go to guy when they've space to fill, not necessarily for this xmas slot but at leaner times during the year.

I find Nevin old hat and his diction far too twee. No doubt a successful chef and restaurateur but he's far too regular on RTE for my ears.

Just a chef !

He's a phenomenon.

Chef proprietor at MacNean House Restaurant, teacher, demonstrator, accommodation provider, author.

He employs more than 50 people in Blacklion, Co. Cavan, a small border village. There is a wait of up to six months to get a reservation.

ah please , he's a successful chef and small business owner And he does a good job marketing himself , well done , I've eaten there , it was lovely .... but a phenomenon ?.... Michelin judges are pretty good at spotting phenomenons , LOL .

humberklog wrote: »
    When it's too often and by the same person.

Nevin is the go to guy when they've space to fill, not necessarily for this xmas slot but at leaner times during the year.

I find Nevin old hat and his diction far too twee. No doubt a successful chef and restaurateur but he's far too regular on RTE for my ears.

So he's the go to guy, what's wrong with that? It's radio, air to fill.

I don't know how you define "old hat" and as for his diction that's the way they talk in North West Cavan.

Certainly successful and worthy of his place on any radio programme.

Oops69 wrote: »
    ah please , he's a successful chef and small business owner And he does a good job marketing himself , well done , I've eaten there , it was lovely .... but a phenomenon ?.... Michelin judges are pretty good at spotting phenomenons , LOL .

You say you have eaten there.
    So you have seen Blacklion and you can't acknowledge that it is nothing short of phenomenal that a young lad from there managed to build up what he has.
    Come on credit where credit is due

Michelin star, well maybe sometime he's only 45 :).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have also eaten in this restaurant.
    Definitely nice food and appears to be a civil spud, so fair play to any success he gets.

He seems to have built a very good media career too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So he's the go to guy, what's wrong with that? It's radio, air to fill.

I don't know how you define "old hat" and as for his diction that's the way they talk in North West Cavan.

Certainly successful and worthy of his place on any radio programme.

Lazy repetitious programming.

He's been saying the same thing for years. I don't like his forced tweeness. Nothing wrong with his accent.

Hey, horses for courses. He's not my cup of tea and I've to turn the dial whenever he's coming on (which is too often imo).

humberklog wrote: »
    Lazy repetitious programming.

He's been saying the same thing for years. I don't like his forced tweeness. Nothing wrong with his accent.

Hey, horses for courses. He's not my cup of tea and I've to turn the dial whenever he's coming on (which is too often imo).

Have to agree there Humber, there is such a thing as too nice, so there is;)

• Advertisement

If you didn't turn the dial you'd realise that he is always onto something new or different in the world of cooking.
    Christmas is a different story but then it's only once a year.

Just by the way, it's a common misconception to mistake the lyrical way of talking and the unique turn of phrase common in that part of the country as twee or some indication of niceness.
    I know big tough lads, the kind you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of, whose day to day language is peppered with words rooted in Gaelic, Scots Gaelic and even Middle English.
    They might speak softly but don't cross them :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement