Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

isohon wrote: »
    The Taoiseach continues to endorse her, she hasn't been removed or unendorsed.

The only clowns are the fools saying 'ISIS is a big part of immigration' and that they might have gotten to 3 and 4 year olds...

FFS

So what your saying is Leo is endorsing a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

mgn wrote: »
    As a matter of fact i would like to hear the accent of county the person is from, regardless of what county it is.

1. You yourself identified an accent from a county and then bemoaned it.

2. You seem to think there is an acceptable accent from each county? Is there only one? I am sure the people of West Cork will be delighted to know they have to talk with the City accent from now on.

3. What about folk who have moved around since birth due to their parents work? My dad is/was a farm relief worker. I've lived in four counties, and in multiple places therein? How do you think I should speak?

4. What about Irish lads who have a parent who lived abroad? Are we supposed to attend elocution lessons to meet your approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

So what your saying is Leo is endorsing a clown.

Yes. 100% she is a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭elperello

2. You seem to think there is an acceptable accent from each county? Is there only one? I am sure the people of West Cork will be delighted to know they have to talk with the City accent from now on.

3. What about folk who have moved around since birth due to their parents work? My dad is/was a farm relief worker. I've lived in four counties, and in multiple places therein? How do you think I should speak?

4. What about Irish lads who have a parent who lived abroad? Are we supposed to attend elocution lessons to meet your approval?

I've noticed that Irish people can be funny about accents.

Someone comes from abroad and starts to speak with a bit of an Irish twang to their accent and they say "great fella altogether".

One of our own goes away and comes back with a bit of London or NYC in their accent and it's "who does he think he is?".

For myself I tend to focus more on what people are saying rather than the way they say it.

What's your problem, all i said was i have problem with people that have fake accents.

• Advertisement

Yes. 100% she is a clown.

So a clown endorsing a clown, that sound about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Just listened to John Downing as political analyst on the show dealing with the Elections taking place and thought he was incredibly poor and wonder how he got the gig?

Whatever about the analysis (questionable) his delivery was poor and he seemed to be mumbling along. After having an hour to update his notes or whatever he didn't have any figures for Fingal and quoted others from memory. He made a few mistakes like calling Dublin Mid West - Dublin North Central and calling the former FG TD James O'Reilly. Just stupid mistakes from a political "expert".

On days like today us political anoraks would miss the likes of Noel Whelan who would be so sharp in this role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Conor84 wrote: »
    Just listened to John Downing as political analyst on the show dealing with the Elections taking place and thought he was incredibly poor and wonder how he got the gig?

Whatever about the analysis (questionable) his delivery was poor and he seemed to be mumbling along. After having an hour to update his notes or whatever he didn't have any figures for Fingal and quoted others from memory. He made a few mistakes like calling Dublin Mid West - Dublin North Central and calling the former FG TD James O'Reilly. Just stupid mistakes from a political "expert".

On days like today us political anoraks would miss the likes of Noel Whelan who would be so sharp in this role.

Whelan's delivery was hardly much better.

Commentators in this country report on politics like it's sport. And if you look on the weekend at the twitter feeds of the likes of Gavan Reilly and Harry Magee, it's striking how many are big sports fans. We don't really give exposure to anorak analysts like you might see elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Whelan's delivery was hardly much better.

Commentators in this country report on politics like it's sport. And if you look on the weekend at the twitter feeds of the likes of Gavan Reilly and Harry Magee, it's striking how many are big sports fans. We don't really give exposure to anorak analysts like you might see elsewhere.
    yes , that type of analysis died out with Brian Farrell .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I was just thinking about that ninety year old woman who was waiting on a trolley in the hospital during the week, I think I heard it covered on the show yesterday. You would wonder why you paid taxes all you life to sit on a trolley, while the Government wastes money on bending over backwards to repatriate terrorists.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1201/1096265-smith-isis-home-turkey/

496575.jpg

• Advertisement

And RTE paid for Dmitri O'Donnell to take the same flight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

all this palaver about her being an 'irish citizen ' and has certain rights etc. etc , to all intents and purposes she denounced her irish citizenship to join this 'caliphate ' , if the caliphate had passports I'm sure she would have had one.

I'm about to put the radio through the window, so I'm going to just leave. Blood boiling at this.

One of the clowns said he was glad that smith was back, what planets do these people live on.

I'm about to put the radio through the window, so I'm going to just leave. Blood boiling at this.

That's ironic seeing as this is the radio forum.
    We are supposed to listen to the radio and post comments.

Switched over to Newstalk with Gavin Reilly, Verona Murphy bashing on there, is there any station nowadays where there is a balanced debate anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Marian’s dinner party in full swing

She is in full scutter talk mode this morn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

One of the clowns said he was glad that smith was back, what planets do these people live on.

That was Harry McGee

That was Harry McGee

A respected and experienced journalist.
    But sure what would he know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭cozar

Conor84 wrote: »

thought exactly the same hard to listen to him. Marian wasnt too far behind him either.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

He's just a journalist. Not sure how respected he is. Saying he's 'glad' she's home is just a trite opinion.
    I would prefer to hear from someone with expertise of the legalities and obligations the Irish state has to this woman.

He's just a journalist. Not sure how respected he is. Saying he's 'glad' she's home is just a trite opinion.
    I would prefer to hear from someone with expertise of the legalities and obligations the Irish state has to this woman.

You know he's a long time on the road reporting on all sorts of issues for many years.

To dismiss his opinion as that of a clown as the other poster did is the real trite opinion.

It would be interesting to hear a legal opinion but HM wasn't purporting to offer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Harry McGee would be a fairly average Irish Times journo. Nothing more nothing less. Don’t get where this respected and experienced line is coming from

Respected by who, outside some of the Times readers.
    The likes of him never has an opinion, and goes along with whatever populist rubbish is going on at the time.

Harry McGee would be a fairly average Irish Times journo. Nothing more nothing less. Don’t get where this respected and experienced line is coming from

There are still too many people in this country that put journalists on a pedestal. Still treat them with a certain reverence. Hence we have them on panels like Marian's; all agreeing which other.

He is undoubtedly experienced having worked in journalism for more than 25 years. He has been Political Correspondent for two leading papers, the IT and the Examiner.

His contributions to radio and TV programmes are always worth listening to.

I respect his work and fail to see how anyone could dismiss him as a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

There are still too many people in this country that put journalists on a pedestal. Still treat them with a certain reverence. Hence we have them on panels like Marian's; all agreeing which other.
    Or what passes for journalists and journalism in this country

Respected by who, outside some of the Times readers.
    The likes of him never has an opinion, and goes along with whatever populist rubbish is going on at the time.

You called him a clown so I'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

You called him a clown so I'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

Not bothered about what you think of my opinion, but i would be interested in your role in RTE.

• Advertisement

Not bothered about what you think of my opinion, but i would be interested in your role in RTE.

If you are standing over calling HM a clown and that smart remark about RTE is all you have to offer I think we are done for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement