Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

elperello wrote: »
    If you are standing over calling HM a clown and that smart remark about RTE is all you have to offer I think we are done for now.

Fine by me, and yes i do stand by my remark, and you keep on defending the MF show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Just an aside on this mornings show, a lot of what some might refer to as ‘gobby mares’. seemed to be on.

Tuned in in midstream so didn’t get the names but one in particular seemed determined to hog the mic at all costs.Dukes got no chance at at all to make his usual long winded pedantic preaching style of deliveries, so there was a silver lining I guess.

I thought Agnew was gone from the Indo, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Has there been a DNA test carried out on the child to ascertain that it is actually her offspring? Just asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

mgn wrote: »
    Switched over to Newstalk with Gavin Reilly, Verona Murphy bashing on there, is there any station nowadays where there is a balanced debate anymore.

This is the thing that really confuses me about the media coverage today. Dukes rails against Verona Murphy, but has only banal platitudes when asked about Lisa Smith. If you listened to the coverage in the media this week you would think that it was Verona Murphy that had joined a band of neanderthal murderers. I was infuriated by Harry McGee's remark also.

I've said this many times but the real problem is that RTE only have people from particular classes and professions, and these groups are hamstrung by having to not upset any of their peers and please their masters. I would have been interested to hear Verona Murphy's opinion on Lisa Smith, I'd say that would have caused the rattling of a few cups at Marian's cozy coffee morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I had a few long car journeys this past week so caught up on some politics podcasts from The Stand (Eamon Dunphy) and Inside Politics (Irish Times.
    The Inside Politics episode from Friday featured Sam McBride discussing his book on the cash for ash scandal up North. McGee was on as well.
    The chat veered off to talk of a United Ireland and issues around that being brought up a lot lately. McGee came out with some nuggets which really showed his true colours and that of his paper....rejoin the Commonwealth, fly the Union Flag, no countenance of a United Ireland on the current 50 +1 rule should be entertained, etc.

He really doesn't have a lot about him bar being able to talk a lot and with a 'good' accent

• Advertisement

This is the thing that really confuses me about the media coverage today. Dukes rails against Verona Murphy, but has only banal platitudes when asked about Lisa Smith. If you listened to the coverage in the media this week you would think that it was Verona Murphy that had joined a band of neanderthal murderers. I was infuriated by Harry McGee's remark also.

I've said this many times but the real problem is that RTE only have people from particular classes and professions, and these groups are hamstrung by having to not upset any of their peers and please their masters. I would have been interested to hear Verona Murphy's opinion on Lisa Smith, I'd say that would have caused the rattling of a few cups at Marian's cozy coffee morning.

Every politician that was interviewed this week was asked what the thought about Verona Murphys comments, and the all came out with racist angle to it.
    Not one of them were asked about the war hero Smith, and her glorious return from war.
    Fine Gael must be going to have Smith run in Dundalk in the next general election for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Was it a guardian angel?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Switched over to Newstalk with Gavin Reilly, Verona Murphy bashing on there, is there any station nowadays where there is a balanced debate anymore.

Verona Murphy is a dolt. You seem to think that 'balance' requires someone on air to disagree with what is obvious fact. It doesn't.

One would have hoped that being able to 'turn the dial' and listen to a whole other set of people recount the myriad ways she turned out to be an electoral dud would be enough. Apparently not. What exactly are you looking for?

People to come on and say 'Verona Murphy may have a point that 'ISIS is a big part of migration'

...or...

'we need to deprogram people'

...or...

'ISIS may have corrupted some 3 and 4 year olds'?

All of these in the context of a by-election in Wexford...

It's mortifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Every politician that was interviewed this week was asked what the thought about Verona Murphys comments, and the all came out with racist angle to it.
    Not one of them were asked about the war hero Smith, and her glorious return from war.
    Fine Gael must be going to have Smith run in Dundalk in the next general election for them.

A. FG literally specially selected VM, and boosted her above local party activists for the position. She was their premiere candidate in this multi-by-election contest. More than James Reilly, more than anyone.

B. When VM made her myriad brain dead nonsense comments, FG and the Taoiseach himself continued to support her and even campaigned locally with her.,

C. Explain exactly what you mean by suggesting that FG want Lisa Smith to run for them. Just even one line would be acceptable.

isohon wrote: »
    A. FG literally specially selected VM, and boosted her above local party activists for the position. She was their premiere candidate in this multi-by-election contest. More than James Reilly, more than anyone.

B. When VM made her myriad brain dead nonsense comments, FG and the Taoiseach himself continued to support her and even campaigned locally with her.,

C. Explain exactly what you mean by suggesting that FG want Lisa Smith to run for them. Just even one line would be acceptable.

Grow up.

• Advertisement

isohon wrote: »
    Verona Murphy is a dolt. You seem to think that 'balance' requires someone on air to disagree with what is obvious fact. It doesn't.

One would have hoped that being able to 'turn the dial' and listen to a whole other set of people recount the myriad ways she turned out to be an electoral dud would be enough. Apparently not. What exactly are you looking for?

People to come on and say 'Verona Murphy may have a point that 'ISIS is a big part of migration'

...or...

'we need to deprogram people'

...or...

'ISIS may have corrupted some 3 and 4 year olds'?

All of these in the context of a by-election in Wexford...

It's mortifying.

Verona Murphy would have won a seat only that she backtracked on what she said, FG silenced her and would not let her near the media or do any more interviews, the treated her like a fool and she went along with it, that's why people didn't vote for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Oh Dear God would someone give Marian a tissue & get her to give her nose a good blow ... it's like listening to a blocked drain this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Callan57 wrote: »
    Oh Dear God would someone give Marian a tissue & get her to give her nose a good blow ... it's like listening to a blocked drain this morning.

TMI :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I noticed her defence of The Delaney Football Family has softened (as has Eamos). I suppose her ignorant position on the subject is now neither popular nor profitable. A bit like the FAI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

humberklog wrote: »
    I noticed her defence of The Delaney Football Family has softened (as has Eamos). I suppose her ignorant position on the subject is now neither popular nor profitable. A bit like the FAI.
    Marian jumps ship when the straws in the wind all go one way .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"The FII. Eeeh the FAI"

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Herself and her panel are having a field day, praising Jeremy Corbyn and slagging off Boris . I cant wait for next weeks show, they will be having a meltdown if Boris does as well as expected

I'd have more serious concern if a panel on Irish radio was in favour of the Tories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Herself and her panel are having a field day, praising Jeremy Corbyn and slagging off Boris . I cant wait for next weeks show, they will be having a meltdown if Boris does as well as expected
    And the funny thing is , in their private finances they couldn’t be More Tory .:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The part i heard at the beginning I thought Marian was saying that the British press were all generally resigned to the idea that the Tories were going to walk it and on the whole the panel accepted that. They might not like it but i didnt hear any guest going against that prediction.

• Advertisement

Generally predicted in UK that Conservatives will end up with 25-30 seat majority.
    Tories (British ones!!) never good news for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Herself and her panel are having a field day, praising Jeremy Corbyn and slagging off Boris .

It's called "self-interest". The bigger the majority the conservative party has, the higher the chance of a harder brexit. The harder the brexit, the greater the negative impact it will have on the Irish economy. So it's perfectly understandable why nobody in the studio was cheering Boris Johnson on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Car crash interview by Leo. Prince Andrew level of arrogance. Little boy dying of cancer. Not my fault. Dara Murphy not in the Dail. Well Fianna Fail have loads of TDs under investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭zell12

He seems to be spinning up for an election, changing the narrative to a positive spin all the time

Sounds like a true Tory!

I said from day 1, Leo is a fraud and has being getting a free pass in the media up until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

touts wrote: »
    Car crash interview by Leo. Prince Andrew level of arrogance. Little boy dying of cancer. Not my fault. Dara Murphy not in the Dail. Well Fianna Fail have loads of TDs under investigation.

Brendan is laying it on a bit thick. Blaming Leo now for kids not learning how to crawl because they are living in hotels!! If the State is providing the family with a hotel room, it's not much to ask that the parents should be able to teach the child to crawl and walk. It's too easy to just blame the state for everything as it absolves you of all responsibility.

Brendan is laying it on a bit thick. Blaming Leo now for kids not learning how to crawl because they are living in hotels!! If the State is providing the family with a hotel room, it's not much to ask that the parents should be able to teach the child to crawl and walk. It's too easy to just blame the state for everything as it absolves you of all responsibility.

Not half thick enough for the fool.

Is there some reason Leo is on this show?

• Advertisement

oooh he was involved personally in picking Verona Murphy for candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement