Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Ruh Roh Chore Sex Guy is in the house....

Funny_Pictures_sex-after-marriage_4636.gif

(*Unfollows :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm not capable of loving any female Boards member. Any woman who wants to teach me a valuable lesson is welcome to upload a picture of their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

True, but a scary amount of men are carrying resentment/hurt/damage with them from their days in underage and college nightclubs. It's amazing how many men still go on about how they were treated years after they should have left those days behind them. (And yes, underage/college nightclubs are awful for many, possibly even most men, so what, it's a hard age for loads of people).

My heart bleeds for them. What I remember from that stage of my life is a pile of harrassment, groping and a few attempts at sexual assault. Men treat women far worse than vice versa. Your ego hurts? Boohoo. At least you weren't getting raped and assaulted to the extent women do. Getting turned down is nothing like as bad as being street harassed is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have to say you only take offence if you are bothered. Sure what would you expect from a pig only a grunt.

Saw this yesterday on fb. Someone had put it up. "Oh yer man is getting a dig at me,I'm nearly that age."

Not a single fck was given.

Thought he had a bit of a cheek in a funny way, looked at his twitter photo, had a smile as he's not exactly drank from the fountain of youth. Very haggard for fifty, too much sun maybe. Looks like a right miserable aul cardigan man who needs to lighten up. So he's not attracted to me and I'm invisible to him. Given the big googly eyes on him, saying anything is invisible must be a major insult so I should be upset and offended. Ehhh, jog on mate.

People here like to think women want to be offended.

This crap "wall women" or whatevever, I've no idea what it is, never heard of it till now. its perpetuated by idiots, with a wannabe superiority complex who are not confident in themselves and want to project that onto others.

I got an email yesterday from someone I knew growing up out of the blue as Id popped up in a group photo of a friend of his. He said, only for I know it's you, I can't believe you are our age. I should have said, ahhh that can't possibly be true as Mr. Googly eyes French man says I'm invisible therefore that MUST be the case.

I said thanks, went about my business, booked a holiday and a pick up date for my new car. It's terrible life being an aul one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Calina wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for them. What I remember from that stage of my life is a pile of harrassment, groping and a few attempts at sexual assault. Men treat women far worse than vice versa. Your ego hurts? Boohoo. At least you weren't getting raped and assaulted to the extent women do. Getting turned down is nothing like as bad as being street harassed is.

There's nothing like a good dose of rape to stifle a discussion. How do you leave the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The theres Sandra Bullock.
    She was always an ugly duckling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why are people getting upset about someone expressing an opinion?
    His own personal opinion?

If this offends anyone, then they really need to take a good look at themselves.

Why are you upset about people being upset with his opinion? They are also entitled to their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

DS86DS wrote: »
    Wishing death on a cute little puppy? Wow so many angry and bitter women here.

Is that what you read by that sentence, if so you need some help with your language and comprehension skills.

You are the only one bitter around here. You need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sex and the City is used as a reference point by guys with an extremely narrow world view of women- those who haven't had a lot of interactions or experience with women in real life and/ or harbour bitterness.
    Kind of hilarious that SaTC is being used as a prime example of "the feminist dream", when in reality the main character's entire existence is defined by her relationship with men.

It's an American Bridget Jones, i.e. it reinforces the notion that women are disorganised failing messes until they have a man in their life to tie it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

There's nothing like a good dose of rape to stifle a discussion. How do you leave the house?

Helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Angeline Ball (Imelda Quirke) turns 50 this year. I'd say a good few men would still watch her coming down a ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Hands up who's heard of Yann Moix before today?

Hands up who's heard of him now?

I'd say Monsiour Moix is feeling very pleased with his day's work.

Precisely. Being an author, it implies he has intelligence. Being 50, it implies he has experience. He knows what he is doing, knows the reaction it will elicit. So his agent must be getting harangued now for gigs and interviews. At a price. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Feisar wrote: »

What has a 40/41 year old Jennifer Aniston got to do with 50 year olds??

He was already famous in France as an author and hosts a TV show. From his response I don't think that he gives two fooks.

If a famous woman in her 50's said the same they'd be celebrated for expressing their sexual desires and anyone that criticized the comments would be told that they were just intimidated by strong women.

Exactly, theres a meme that gets passed around Facebook regularly with various celebs, Madonna, Jennifer Lopez etc who have toyboys. Gives their ages and the ages of their toyboys with the strapline of something like 'don't worry if you are 30 and single, maybe the one for you just hasn't been born yet.'

I've yet to see anyone get outraged about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Exactly, theres a meme that gets passed around Facebook regularly with various celebs, Madonna, Jennifer Lopez etc who have toyboys. Gives their ages and the ages of their toyboys with the strapline of something like 'don't worry if you are 30 and single, maybe the one for you just hasn't been born yet.'

I've yet to see anyone get outraged about it.

Such boors....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

He was looking for a reaction and knew it’d be easy to get... and it was.

Are knee-jerkers just incapable of calming the fook down?

And he can like what he likes. Now, I do hope he doesn’t dismiss anyone over 25. But if he does - oh well. It should be no skin off anyone else’s nose. What difference does it make if some dude you know doesn’t fancy you on account of your age? We all get our time in the sun. We all get our peak years. And then they pass. Happens to everyone. The people reacting outraged towards him on Twitter and wherever would do well to remember that it’s important for everyone to cultivate many interests in life so that your looks aren’t of disproportionate importance to you.

I think I’d be alarmed and confused if I was getting the same amount of men attention at 50 as I got at 25. Some of us women welcome things calming down in that regard.

Rory28 wrote: »
    A (presumably)rich French author. Yea no 25 year old academic type will be interested in him. Come on now, be reasonable.

Eh, honestly, he might get a bit of interest from 20-somethings but I don’t think he’d be inundated. From my own experiences, for the most part, 50-something men wouldn’t be on the radar of 20-something women. Just generally.
    If a famous woman in her 50's said the same they'd be celebrated for expressing their sexual desires and anyone that criticized the comments would be told that they were just intimidated by strong women.
    Arghus wrote: »
    You gotta love how you saw an opportunity for some wimmin bashing in even this subject.

Honestly like. Shouldn’t a person eventually get tired of typing “If it was the other way round...”. It’s such a trite point. I’d feel self-conscious if I made a post like this more than ten times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

Eh, honestly, he might get a bit of interest from 20-somethings but I don’t think he’d be inundated. From my own experiences, for the most part, 50-something men wouldn’t be on the radar of 20-something women. Just generally.

Throw in a hefty bank balance and you'd be amazed at how quickly that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I just looked up "Post wall":

"A woman who has passed her fertility window and has become very unattractive to men.
    After women hit 35, they are basically a post wall woman. It's like they hit a wall at full speed and their face got all messed up"

I thought it had something to do with Trump's wall :D

Jaysus.

• Advertisement

Older guys who like younger women are usually referred to as dirty old men, whereas women who like younger guys are referred to as cougars. Hell, they even had a TV show called Cougar Town. It's just not socially acceptable for men to say they prefer young women as it is for women to say they like young men and yes the latter is celebrated.

Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:

https://theweek.com/articles/502298/why-candace-bushnell-prefers-younger-men

Meanwhile in the real world, older man/younger woman relationships are far more common than the other way round. It’s not even close. Not socially acceptable? It very much is, whereas I’ve witnessed eyebrows raised about relationships where the female is only five years older. Do you think there’d be any reaction at all to a man in a relationship being five years older? Seriously? And once the woman is ten years or more older, the commentary really starts.

Shows like ‘Cougar Town’ tried to push this older woman/younger man notion as commonplace but it wasn’t remotely convincing.
    randd1 wrote: »
    Throw in a hefty bank balance and you'd be amazed at how quickly that changes.

I’d have to disagree. It would certainly turn the odd 20-something head but I don’t think it would make as big a difference as you think.

The numbers of 20-somethings pairing up with 50-somethings would be outliers. When I was in my 20s, 50 something men, even moneybags 50-something men, were not on my radar. If asked to consider a man of that age in my 20s, my first thought would be about his health. People of any age can get seriously ill but it gets much much more likely the older you get. It would have been a huge part of the equation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

So.... coming at this from a different angle to most here. What I'm taking away from this incident is that if you annoy French women they send you pictures of themselves with no pants on. Have I got that right???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Is that what you read by that sentence
    Of course it isn't. Not even clear that the person who wrote the puppy post is female, and it was by one person yet "a lot of bitter women" here.

He doesn't like women apart from an idealised notion of a subservient, uneducated girl (again, so many reminders of the hardline side of a religion he constantly criticises) and is revelling in this opportunity to go on a wind-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

And once the woman is ten years or more older, the commentary really starts.

I agree but she wouldn't be looked on as being creepy and should an older woman say publicly (on a chat show for example) that she liked young guys as they can 'keep up with her' they'd very likely get whooped and cheered and articles would be written about how empowering her comments were.

An older guy similarly saying he likes younger girls just wouldn't be met with the same kind of response and he'd most likely get ridiculed in the following days, as has happened here.
    Shouldn’t a person eventually get tired of typing “If it was the other way round...”. It’s such a trite point.

How is it a trite point when the very people moaning about this guy stating his preference would have no problem whatsoever were it someone of the opposite gender making the same sort of comments?

Calling out sexist hypocrisy is never trite................... in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I agree but she wouldn't be looked on as being creepy and should an older woman say publicly (on a chat show for example) that she liked young guys as they can 'keep up with her' they'd very likely get whooped and cheered and articles would be written about how empowering her comments were.

An older guy similarly saying he likes younger girls just wouldn't be met with the same kind of response and he'd most likely get ridiculed in the following days, as has happened here.

How is it a trite point when the very people moaning about this guy stating his preference would have no problem whatsoever were it someone of the opposite gender making the same sort of comments?

Calling out sexist hypocrisy is never trite................... in either direction.

For everyone "whooping and cheering" her, there'd be far more people calling her a sad, desperate "cougar" and you know it. That there's even a term for women who get with younger men is telling, I'm not aware of an equivalent for men. Sugar Daddy doesn't count as that denotes wealth.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said on this thread but most people don't give a crap about the sexual preferences of this man. What people do object to is the women bashing that these threads inevitably descend into. All "Post wall" women were once 25 and experienced the unwanted attentions of men like Yann Moix, believe me when I say none of us are mourning the loss of the attention of his kind

Plopsu wrote: »
    So.... coming at this from a different angle to most here. What I'm taking away from this incident is that if you annoy French women they send you pictures of themselves with no pants on. Have I got that right???

only if they have a decent arse to send a picture of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The Loose Women have their say...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

For everyone "whooping and cheering" her, there'd be far more people calling her a sad, desperate "cougar" and you know it. That there's even a term for women who get with younger men is telling, I'm not aware of an equivalent for men. Sugar Daddy doesn't count as that denotes wealth.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said on this thread but most people don't give a crap about the sexual preferences of this man. What people do object to is the women bashing that these threads inevitably descend into. All "Post wall" women were once 25 and experienced the unwanted attentions of men like Yann Moix, believe me when I say none of us are mourning the loss of the attention of his kind

I'ts Dirty Old Man i believe.

Yeah that stuff is just PURE schadenfreude. Nelson from The Simpson's style "haha!" from men that revel gleefully at the idea that women have a "window" and suddenly turn into grotesque unfcukable messes after they hit some magical number they've plucked out of thin air.

It's pure comedy and transparent as a smack in the face with a wet fish.

Comedic interlude

Meanwhile lads will continue to be attracted to women far younger than them and the vast majority of younger women will continue to cringe and rebuff their advances unless they're very rich, famous or an anomaly of a man they fancied despite their older age; and the rest of us will inevitably age (that's if we're lucky) and couple up with people in our peer groups because that's how the world works.

Skit does't work, surely Amy would have known about the ritual having gotten it the day she reached the age of consent.

• Advertisement

But yet, in everyday life, in age gap relationships, the older person is much more likely to be a man. It’s much more socially acceptable in reality than the other way round. So what happens on these crappy talk shows doesn’t seem to matter much to the actual reality of the situation on the ground. For the most part, people expect heterosexual couples to be roughly the same age or the man to be older. When the woman is older, comments are made much more frequently than in the opposite scenario. And she doesn’t even have to be that much older for it to happen. If she’s a good bit older, I’ve heard comments like “When she hits X age, he’ll be gone.” and “How could he fancy a woman that age?”.

Well, you don’t actually know if people would have a problem with it or not. You put far too much stock in awful panel shows of the ilk of Loose Women, where the number 1 criterion for the job is being a brassy, gobby loudmouth. They’re crappy daytime TV shows that nobody cares about and people throw an eye at in hospital waiting rooms.

Advertisement