Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Ye sound as bad as the man haters. Pair of ye in it.

Hey man why so negative.

Live and let live.

join me up on this high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Does feminist now just mean any female I disagree with? I am really failing to see how this has anything to do with feminism.

People have a right to be attracted to whoever they like. Plenty of women like young men or older men too. It's their own sexual preferences.

Why we always have to bring how awful feminists are into everything is like a broken record.

Meh, he likes what he likes, let him at it. Never even heard of the guy until now

I do hate seeing "auld wan", "battleaxe" and such terms being bandied about though, getting older is a privilege, not a stick to beat others with

Meh, I wouldn't describe all older women, or even many older women, in those terms but they do fit a certain type of older woman, just as derogatory terms for older men apply to some men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh jeez I don't mind who men fancy - just no need for the derogatory language towards women for nothing other than not being young. An "auld one" automatically being a battleaxe or a bag or sagging or her boobs being prunes.

There's non stop bringing up feminists - to an obsessive degree. Forget feminists and consider women in general.

I had a bad day once, i think it was the feminists that did it

https://i.imgflip.com/nn7jo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

greencap wrote: »
    2 things.

1. I think its definitely possible to love a woman over 50. Even I will be able to do that eventually, and I'm quite superficial. Theres more than physicality to life. At some point physicality can't be central anymore.

Thats the nice bit, done.

2. But I can't help but enjoy it when post-wall women finally get to understand how awkward young guys feel and get treated.

Having been a young man, like the majority I was treated by women more or less like a horrible smell/disease.

Attractive women generally treat young men on a 'you're total scum' first basis.

Well now its their turn to be left without the time of day.

(yes I said post wall, yes it makes me happy, yes most young guys, no I washed regularly)

Having been a young woman, like the majority of women I was treated like crap by some guys too

But unlike you, I'm not bitter about it as that's what happens when people are young and foolish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

greencap wrote: »
    2. But I can't help but enjoy it when post-wall women finally get to understand how awkward young guys feel and get treated.

Having been a young man, like the majority I was treated by women more or less like a horrible smell/disease.

Attractive women generally treat young men on a 'you're total scum' first basis.

Well now its their turn to be left without the time of day.

(yes I said post wall, yes it makes me happy, yes most young guys, no I washed regularly)
    WTF is "post wall"? Jaysus I thought I was down with the kidz. Me, earlier.

steve-buscemi.png?w=500&h=294

:D

I have to say GC that's reading a bit bitter. Maybe things are different these days with Tinder and the like(they are), but when I was in my twenties I wasn't "treated by women more or less like a horrible smell/disease". The odd wankerette, but **** are everywhere and it was a rare enough occurrence. And I've a great face for radio and physique best suited to a Trocaire box. My only advantage was/is I'd talk to the wall, so wasn't shy(which is a major plus to be fair). I also can't recall any of my mates getting crap from women in the way you describe it. Getting blown off(not in a good way) the odd time at an oul dishco yeah, but otherwise not so much and those environments are pretty specific.

I can understand some young guys today feeling frustrated with things like Tinder. I read somewhere that something like three quarters of women members swipe right(?) on only a third of the guys. That would be a pain in the arse, but again a pretty specific environment. Maybe the "gender politics" stuff is more in play today? TBH other than the odd weirdo that stuff was rare to encounter In My Day™.

Now a couple of girlfriends have fcuked me over yeah, but others didn't and generally my experience of women in my life as mates, girlfriends, acquaintances and people I bump into has been in the vast majority of cases positive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Does feminist now just mean any female I disagree with? I am really failing to see how this has anything to do with feminism.
    Same here and I'm not exactly a friend of feminism... Can't see the connection TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The guys who go on about how horrible women are, make a choice (subconscious or not) to seek out the bitchy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

spurious wrote: »
    If it's evolution though, after all these years of it not happening for oul' lads, should it not be dying out? Like little toes and wisdom teeth?
    Just because it happens infrequently doesn't mean there is evolutionary pressure for it to die out.

There are lots of male evolutionary behaviours that are built around looking for every possible chance of reproducing - for example constantly overestimating female interest in them. Better (from the perspective of your genes) that you have "false positives" on 99 females and impregnate the 100th who was actually interested rather than miss out on the 100th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Feminist Logic 101

Woman does something

"You go girl!!"

Man does exact same thing

"What a sexist patriarchal pig.. I bet he just hates women"

feminism.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

DS86DS wrote: »
    Feminist Logic 101

Woman does something

"You go girl!!"

Man does exact same thing

"What a sexist patriarchal pig.. I bet he just hates women"

feminism.jpg

Jesus what age are you?

The guys who go on about how horrible women are, make a choice (subconscious or not) to seek out the bitchy ones.

Yep, and lest we get accused of feminism or man-hating, the same can be said for women who cry "All men are bast*rds" and then seek out said bast*rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

His response to the critism.....
    The French author and television presenter who claimed he could not love any woman over the age of 50 has said he has no regrets over his remarks that caused widespread outrage.

Yann Moix, 50, who is promoting his latest book, Rompre, said his personal preferences in women were his own business and he was only being honest.

“I don’t see this as pride, but almost as a curse. It’s not my fault. We are not responsible for our tastes, our penchants, our inclinations. I’m not here to hold forth on this,” he told RTL radio.

Moix, a prize-winning novelist, sparked a furious backlash after a question and answer interview was published in the latest edition of Marie-Claire magazine in which he claimed he was “incapable” of loving women in their 50s because they were “too, too old”.

In the radio interview, he suggested it was important to face up to certain truths even if they caused offence. “We’re living in a society where it’s hard to be an individual. We have to always represent the universal citizen … someone who displeases nobody,” he said.

He added that while he considered himself a victim of his preferences he did not feel obliged to apologise for “being different”.

“Every individual is a prisoner of their tastes. I’m a prisoner of mine. It takes nothing away from a woman of 50 years that I don’t want to sleep with her,” he said.

“I’m not responsible for my tastes; I’m trying to be honest. Of course I have a problem, I’m an adolescent, I’m a child and I don’t interest women in their 50s either. They’ve got better things to do than to drag a neurotic around who spends his time yelling and reading and likes doing things that only excite children. It’s not easy to be with me,” he said.

Asked whether he thought his comments would affect sales of his book, Moix said: “The system is so perverse that sales are about to rise like an arrow.

“I don’t regret saying these things because they concern only me. I love who I want and I don’t have to answer to any good taste police … for me that would be a complete lack of taste.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Jesus what age are you?

Over 50.

Good grief, I think DS86DS has lost it. Who is he talking to? :confused:
    Yep, and lest we get accused of feminism or man-hating, the same can be said for women who cry "All men are bast*rds" and then seek out said bast*rds.
    Absolutely. Those silly women who are attracted to "bad boys" - similar pattern.

Jesus what age are you?

31. Why does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Every time one of these stories makes the rounds, I'm just like, "... and?" Am I supposed to be shocked that an older man finds younger women attractive?

If you are a person who finds people younger than you (but still of legal age) more attractive than people your own age, God speed and God bless. I genuinely hope that works out for you for as long as it can.

The problem comes when affix a person's value to their sexual attractiveness and age. I see that a lot in conversations about people becoming less attractive as they age. Some people will frame it as a person's value going down. That's a really dehumanizing way to view anyone, let alone a large group of people.

And the insults that get thrown around about older people - like, is it necessary? I mean, we're all either going to die young or end up sagging. It's just such a cheap shot to take, especially considering how hard aging can be for everyone, not just psychologically, but physically. The world is kind to very few people past 50.

And finally, it's one thing to state a preference - "I like people with blue eyes." It's another thing to follow up a preference with an insult, "I like people with blue eyes. Brown eyed people look like they have ****e in their pupils." What's the hoped for takeaway there? I mean, yes you can absolutely say that and no one should ever take away your right to say that. But, seriously - what's the desired reaction of pointing out a physical flaw that a person can neither control nor fix? You may not be able to control your evolutionary wiring, but you can probably control the words that come out of your mouth.

Every time one of these stories makes the rounds, I'm just like, "... and?" Am I supposed to be shocked that an older man finds younger women attractive?

If you are a person who finds people younger than you (but still of legal age) more attractive than people your own age, God speed and God bless. I genuinely hope that works out for you for as long as it can.

The problem comes when affix a person's value to their sexual attractiveness and age. I see that a lot in conversations about people becoming less attractive as they age. Some people will frame it as a person's value going down. That's a really dehumanizing way to view anyone, let alone a large group of people.

And the insults that get thrown around about older people - like, is it necessary? I mean, we're all either going to die young or end up sagging. It's just such a cheap shot to take, especially considering how hard aging can be for everyone, not just psychologically, but physically. The world is kind to very few people past 50.

And finally, it's one thing to state a preference - "I like people with blue eyes." It's another thing to follow up a preference with an insult, "I like people with blue eyes. Brown eyed people look like they have ****e in their pupils." What's the hoped for takeaway there? I mean, yes you can absolutely say that and no one should ever take away your right to say that. But, seriously - what's the desired reaction of pointing out a physical flaw that a person can neither control nor fix? You may not be able to control your evolutionary wiring, but you can probably control the words that come out of your mouth.

I've never heard of anybody saying that in all my life about brown eyes, that's just weird.

As a man I couldn't care less about eye colour if she has a nice bum and chest.

Yes!!
    People saying 'hes just stating his preference why did this get a reaction'
    It got a reaction because he wasnt saying he just likes younger woman he said its not even possible to love an older woman which is of course why people took offence, everyone knows and is fine with a man being interested in younger women, not saying things that makes people feel ****

His response to the critism.....

Looks like he knew exactly what he was doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

“I’m not responsible for my tastes; I’m trying to be honest. Of course I have a problem, I’m an adolescent, I’m a child and I don’t interest women in their 50s either. They’ve got better things to do than to drag a neurotic around who spends his time yelling and reading and likes doing things that only excite children. It’s not easy to be with me,” he said.

He sounds like hard work above. What right minded 50 year old woman who didn't come down in the last shower would want to be stroking his ego.

Oh yeah "market value" - as if people are cars or houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

He's perfectly entitled to fancy who he chooses these sad cases really need to get a life and mind their own bloody business.

Yes!!
    It got a reaction because he wasnt saying he just likes younger woman he said its not even possible to love an older woman which is of course why people took offence, everyone knows and is fine with a man being interested in younger women, not saying things that makes people feel ****
    Didn't he just say HE couldn't love a woman of 50 though, rather than saying women aged 50 cannot be loved in general?

Yes!!

Except for snowflake feminists who have a problem with a man's personal tastes in women.

By the reaction of feminists you would swear he said that all women over 50 should not allowed be drive. All he said was that he couldn't love a woman of a certain age.

If this was about a woman saying she couldn't love a man below a certain income threshold, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Except for snowflake feminists who have a problem with a man's personal tastes in women.

By the reaction of feminists you would swear he said that all women over 50 should not allowed be drive. All he said was that he couldn't love a woman of a certain age.

If this was about a woman saying she couldn't love a man below a certain income threshold, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Yes they would everyone would think shes a bitch because that would make her a bitch

Yes!!

To be fair, he said he wouldn't want to sleep with a 50 year old, not that they couldn't be loved

That last sentence is nonsense and you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

[QUOTE=DS86DS; As a man I couldn't care less about eye colour if she has a nice bum and chest.[/QUOTE]

I believe you can buy blow up dolls. Just saying seeing as your needs above are so few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

glasso wrote: »
    His comments caused outrage on social media.

If this decade could be summed up in one sentence.

Advertisement