Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Zero chance, it's absolutely them trolling to pop ratings lol

The clearest bait and switch in history, and it's going to absolutely rile up a certain element of online posters.

Weirdly, SRS and Alverez are saying it IS the Punk/Perry footage, but I just cannot believe that's true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Don't doubt TK's pettiness. Several outlets confirmed it's legit now so we will see!

I've seen people ponder it's probably Jack Perry centric. An angle to bring him back and include him in The Elite.

It's fascinating though. I guess IF it's legit, they were happy to let things be calm until Punk decided to bring everything back up again. I guess if you're going to start mouthing off, you don't get to be surprised when receipts are produced.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Punk on commentary tonight could be trying to make him mention them on WWEs biggest show of the year too. That's why I said in the Punk thread dragging all this crap up again after months was serving nobody other than Helwani at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's a fascinating but risky move if it's the real footage and not some comedy sketch. Any even remotely doctored footage could cause huge backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

This is an interesting one.

Assuming it is legit (if it isn't then a lot of people are going to look dumb) then there's a lot of ways to look at it.

AEW being so focused around behind the scenes drama about someone who isn't even with the company seems a little sad, be nice if they had just moved on. Clearly Punk's comments really pissed off Tony. Using the Young Bucks for it seems odd, I'm guessing this in storyline is how Jack Perry comes back so at least you can salvage it that way. If it draws ratings, that's good but a pretty cheap tactic and something of a one off, not to mention do you want your company just drawing over backstage drama, not sure that's the best idea.

On the other hand I understand them wanting to clear their name and showing that Punk is a liar or at the very least untrustworthy in his recounting of events. Which I'm assuming this, will show, although it would have to be something pretty wildly different to get people on board their narrative, in my opinion. The fact that it seemingly won't include whatever happened between TK and Punk is interesting too (there's been multiple versions of what happened, so chances are it wasn't captured on camera either) but might cause some people to question why they aren't showing that, and if there is a reason. Did Punk really do anything that would make Tony fear for his life? I also wonder if it will do any real damage to Punk anyway, AEW fans hate him already, WWE fans likely won't care.

There's other variables too like the quality of the video, did it capture sound, how will they present it. It'll be appointment viewing if nothing else that's for sure.

I wonder if there's a legal sense that Punk violated an NDA or, in effect, gave them legal leeway to tell their side of the story.

I'd still wager though, the primary thing here is to bring Jungle Boy back, and playing into the Scapegoat angle. You can show some of the Punk footage, showing Punk instigating the situation, Jungle boy defending himself, cut it before any stuff with Khan happens, and then cut back to YBs saying he didn't deserve to be kicked to Japan, and they're bringing him back.

I get why some will call it somewhat small time. I also think Punk has put more eyes onto the Jungle Boy character and story than there has been since All In, so why not capitalize by turning the shoot into a work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there a lawsuit/NDA over that? I thought it was just over the All Out backstage fight. I thought it was that footage at first since it's the Bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think you're right, from memory in the interview Punk said that there was an NDA for Brawl Out but All In, it was something people were allowed to talk about but didn't really want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Reports are surfacing Matt Hardy has turned down a new AEW contract and is now a free agent. Matt comes across a nice guy and seems to be quite helpful back stage but from wrestling aspect along with Jeff I don't want to see them on my screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Punk_N_Wrestlin

Have to agree… Its all been a bit sad since Jeff came back, I think Matt's been in bad shape for a good few years but even seeing how bad Jeff is now, and especially still having abuse issues I think theyd be better off back in Tna or something…

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Petermc83

theres zero chance that its the actual footage of the brawl..

Theyre trying to put some eyes on the product which is understandable considering the huge week that WWE has just had.

Hopefully it is done right and doesnt come across as petty.

IMO, they should focus on the outstanding roster they have, forget about others (CMPUNK) and work on building the brand, building relatable storylines, feuds and not be so obsessed with trying to get one over WWE all the time. There isnt a week that goes by where either theyre taking pop shots on their tv shows or TK is ranting on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's giving Punk more attention, he got plenty during WM already and is a great feud with Drew

As you said concentrate on their current talented roster

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Both tired and buzzed from a gig in which something like that could easily happen

That was 'handbags' and what followed was a great event that moved on past Jungle Boy and Punks matches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The storyline reasoning for releasing the footage is absolute naff.

It reminds me of 2 opposing versions of an ugly falling out, where one side is taken as the truth, only for the reality to eventually hit to absolutely mild results. All that hassle and strife over absolutely nothing.

Last thing I'll say is that Perry;

Disrespected Punk on a major live broadcast.

Publicly challenged Punk to do something about it in front of his peers.

Without excusing Punk, I've known people like Perry all my life where they think they can say whatever they want in front of people, and societal norms/ rules of the workplace/privilege will protect them against getting a slap. If this is how he behaves I'd say it was long overdue.

Post edited by The White Wolf on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

So in the end AEW/Tony used a scuffle that should have warranted a fine and an official warning as their excuse to finally fire Punk

But to then to hold back the footage as some sort of receipt and air it on Dynamite when Punk's version of the incident was actually credible is pathetic stuff from AEW clearly this was all about other stuff Punk said in the interview that touched some of Tony's nerves

• Advertisement

I feel like AEW will be spoken about in a "pre/post showing of the tape" kinda way going forward. Maybe it is the spiritual successor to WCW after all. That and the Ospreay comments on HHH were cringe as hell to be airing on your flagship show.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

I'm actually so confused as to what AEW/Tony Khan thought they were showing. It was handbags, I seen better fights in school. Brock throwing the belt at Vince was more disrespectful than Punk shouting at Tony. The only part Punk left out was he shoved JP before choking him, the rest was as described.

I mean this as a "can someone explain the other point of view", what reaction were AEW expecting?

Post edited by plibige on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Saw the clip on twitter. Whats the big deal? Punk and Perry got into a scuffle sure we knew that. Nothing new was added.

This is the type of thing you see a jilted lover post to Facebook or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

Pathetic by AEW and Tony

Meh.

Punk decided to use the incident and his general dislike of AEW to drag eyes onto himself over Mania weekend (not that it was needed).

AEW responded by using the incident to drag eyes onto a renewal of the Bucks/FTR feud, and likely to bring Perry back long term.

Whatever Perry said (and that's the big question mark now, cause we can't hear what was said, so infering he earned himself anything from that clip shows your bias), Punk was the one who escalated it into physicality, and then made moves towards his boss. Even without the context of the Buck's incident, Punk deserved massive punishment based on that level of aggression.

But I feel a lot of people seem to be commenting as if…

1. …this is new for AEW (Do people forget Cody smashed HHH's throne so early on? The two companies have been taking jabs at each other for years now.)
    2. …WWE and it's talents should be allowed take shots at them, but then AEW and it's talents shouldn't be allowed take them back (both this, and the Osprey bit, are reactions to WWE chatting **** first, which hasn't seemingly drawn a fraction of the vitrol).
    3. …this isn't AEW trying to spin shoot attention into a worked angle, in the way pro wrestling has always done since the very beginning of time.

FTR's promo feels like it was the exact promo needed to outline the story; Buck's are petty bitches that can't move past things (despite the fact they're the ones in real life who have dodged every question about Punk possible, up till now), and for the good of the company, a line needs to be drawn under this now so fans can move on.

At the end of the day, at least for me, if Punk want's to give interviews absolutely savaging AEW, then AEW are within their rights to try and spin that into angles to progress their shows and their stories. FTR look like the babyfaces for voicing the fans' opinions about it, Buck's get heel heat for leaning into characters, and Perry likely get's ammo to come back with his scapegoated gimmick. Turning shoots into worked angles has been something every wrestling company has done for decades, and will do for decades more too.

If it puts you off watching AEW, that sucks, and I'm not going to argue that I don't see why some would find it cringy. But some of the hyperbolic reaction to the mess, and trying to lay all the blame onto the feet of AEW, makes it seem like it's more some people really don't like AEW and WANT to have excuses to attack it…

Perry is wrestling on the NJPW show in Chicago Friday - that should be a fun watch.

There is no audio, but I think it's been well reported that this is what Perry said (do something about it) when Punk confronted him about something we know he said anyway on a live broadcast.

From what I've heard about Perry, even outside of what Punk has said, there does seem to be an attitude problem with him, so it's not a stretch to point out he antagonised the situation he created further. There is no bias to point out any of this.

I've lost interest in AEW, Punk I can take or leave now too as there is a fair bit of fakeness around him. I've no particular dog in the race. But you don't run a company by letting someone like Perry think he can get away with even doing this type of **** (or letting someone like Guereva walk around thinking he's the man). It's that aspect, the lack of order, carelessness and general resting on laurels, that has turned me off AEW, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

AEW are copyright striking videos of the clip accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is this the scuffle that Tony Khan said he feared for his life with?

My god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

Wtf was going on with Tony Schiavone when Excalibur was introducing the segment? It looked like someone pissed in his coffee. He didn't say anything, he didn't nod along or look at the camera. He didn't even acknowledge the previous segment with Willow etc.

It might have been better presenting the video in front of the live crowd. The way it was presented with no audio or crowd reaction just made it look like a damp squib imho.

Advertisement