Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Petermc83

Tony S might just have been annoyed with how this has all unfolded. A man with decades in the business shows his frustration at the pettiness of the segment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've seen enough to know Perry has skeletons in terms of his attitude. I've seen whispers he's the type of "Don't you know who I am" nepobaby of a celebrity.

But there seems this weird idea that Perry should be in awe and subservient to a man who was constantly telling him not to do stuff in angles Punk wasn't involved in. Punk seemingly wanted to be the locker room leader, a bit like an Undertaker figure, who went round and told younger people what they could and couldn't do. If Perry didn't want to take Punk's advice on his segments or his health, that's Perry's prerogative.

At the end of the day, in this clip, Punk is the one who escalated things a few times; first approaching Perry to get into an argument, secondly being the aggressor by laying hands on Perry first, and third by deciding to make moves towards his boss and having to be pulled back. No matter what level of ass Perry is, you don't get to create that level of work environment and be shocked you're hoofed out the door. Especially when it's not your first time being involved with this sort of backstage drama.

The lack of order stemmed, time and again, from Punk and his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The hyperbole is gas, RIP AEW etc. It's obvious people just hate AEW and want to take shots at it, which is completely fair of course, fire away.

You know it kills people that AEW even still exists after 5 years or whatever it is now. I hope it keeps going so there's something weekly to watch that isn't the cringefest that is WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

How good is Penta, So good to finally see the best wrestlers in the world arrive in AEW with the Stardom women there now.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,098 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From the clip, Samoa Joe is the man, cool and calm, I don't know what Tony, Bucks and AEW achieved releasing it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

AEW have some audacity to be airing that last night, imagine seeing a Jericho match.

I was apprehensive about the video but I was worried for nothing and found it quite funny such as the count down timer to the video, The Bucks saying if you don't like Jack Perry…… the little digs at Punk who is so self centered etc. You could tell The Bucks enjoyed it.

The Young Bucks called it exactly how it was a high school fight but man it just reinforces my thoughts that CM Punk is just a cancer and it's just a matter of time till it kicks off in WWE. You just don't put your hands on anyone like that and try to choke and punch them. A man of his experience should know better.

My only grievance on this whole video is that I still have to hear CM Punk mentioned in the same breath as AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

PTSD perhaps?

The man sat ringside for some of WCW's lowest lows. He knows a clown show when he sees one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

So apparently the Bucks did not want to release this footage either. It was all on Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭ThePott

I thought we were trying to move away from tribalistic BS.

Is it not fair to give criticism to AEW while still generally liking the product and wanting them to succeed? This is one of the reasons I avoid posting here at times, because anything negative thing you say becomes "You're a WWE Fan", "You want AEW to fail"… Nope.

Honestly over the last few years, I've spent more money on AEW than WWE. I've owned up and eaten my words when I was wrong (didn't think they'd have a chance of selling Wembley to the level they did, even bought tickets and couldn't make it in the end, so ate that loss) and yet people being negative about something like this, which let's be honest deserves some criticism immediately becomes people "obviously hating" cause they hate AEW.

The footage was nothing. Was barely a fight. Mostly adhered to what Punk had said and didn't exactly make Jack Perry look 'strong'. Furthering a story using a talent that isn't there (to the point he got cheers) was dumb. It really did little to benefit them, is Jack Perry going to get any better reaction now? FTR got cheered for crapping on them showing the promo which just reflects the fanbase not liking the decision, did it help the story of TYB vs FTR, anymore than another promo would do?

I understand their need to respond, I really do. Punk said a lot of stuff and they wanted to try change the narrative, this just wasn't the way to do it. Not to mention this stuff and Ospreay's promo (didn't love it for different reasons) made Edge's promo from last week irrelevant. The best thing they could have done is put on an amazing show (Edge match was good and so was the main) and focus on their upcoming PPV and their great roster. I've loved the Young Bucks as heels lately but don't think they were the better for it either.

For the record, I also think people are being hyperbolic but I think criticism is fair and assuming that people are only rooting for it to fail as a result is off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Fightful Select are disagreeing with this and report that the YB were on board with it. As was Ospreay with his promo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Haven't had time to read the thread today until now.

It seems people don't want to contribute to the feedback thread but want to continue on in the same snarky, argumentative fashion that we had previously. That stops now. Thread bans and warnings will be handed out for any further tribalist nonsense. That goes for either side.

@Hello 2D Person Below don't post in this thread again.

@Patrick Mahomes or @RollieFingers if you have a problem with a post, report it or PM a mod, this is no longer a place to score tit for tat points seeing as certain posters can't discuss a topic in a civil manner. Discussing mod actions is not permitted on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

I'm still struggling to see the positive in last night at all. AEW ended up having the crowd chant for CM Punk, the focus was on two talents not currently in AEW, and it was meant to build to a match for two tag teams not shown in the video.

It didn't make Punk out to be a liar either, ye he shoved JP but its not the first and won't be the last time people have had a tussle back stage in any wrestling promotion. And other than the shove, it could arguably have been beat for beat what Punk said, there's no way to know without sound.

There was nothing to show why Tony "feared for his life" and in fact showed a very tame, schoolyard fight. And really it shows that Tony just can't get passed it. It also raises the question, why is JP off AEW for so long? He must have said something, because what happened in the ring and in the video didn't warrant 7+ months away from the company.

It just seems really petty and sad, and there's much more clean ways to build TYB vs FTR, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

Why do people have a problem with Osprey's comment? It was just a quick dig.

I can't understand why HHH would have even suggested he wasn't up for the grind of pro wrestling, the bloke has travelled all oflver the world fighting in different promotions for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It made Punk out to be aggressor and unwarranted attack on a younger talent. We may never know what verbally happened but we should all agree there is and never should be a time when someone is attacked.

"won't be the last time people have had a tussle back stage in any wrestling promotion"

And that should never happen in any work environment.

"There was nothing to show why Tony "feared for his life""

You cannot say how a person feels on their behalf, you're not in TK shoes and because there's no audio we don't know what CM Punk may of said to Tony Khan.

I think just to brush away a persons feelings in that given moment is just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

It actually really didn't "make him out to be the aggressor" at all. He went up and spoke to him for a good 30 seconds before it kicked off. Then clearly Jungle Boy said something to make him lose it, CM Punk admitted he choked him, and guess what we saw, he choked him. Nothing new was proven, in fact it was what Punk said.

Sports are not a normal work place, you see people screaming in each others faces all the time, tussling and grabbing is normal. It's never going to be "safe" like an office. Is Punk right, no, is his behaviour out of place for that industry, there's plenty like him, some a lot worse.

We can say we don't know what Tony felt, but we saw nothing to back up what he said. If you show the video, you'd want it to justify what you said on national television. The average person looked at last nights clip and said "was that it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Apart from the slightly dated reference I think there was nothing wrong with Ospreay responding to HHH's frankly unfair remarks in his press conference.

On the other hand, The Video footage thing was a daft idea and I don't think it benefited AEW in anyway bar a short term ratings boost. They could have done with a better show in that case as it was average enough compared to the usual Dynamite wrestling standard and that Mercedes Mone bit was very strange and not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was Edge not listening to Willow or was he sticking to a script?

One thing I laughed at in the video was Malakai just coming in with a cup as if nothing much happened.

I assume the Mercedes thing is to imply Julia attacked her but since she wasn't there when the lights came back on, maybe it wasn't her.

Meant to say before, but they could do with sticking with consistency instead of bringing in talent from other promotions constantly. Like the most recent I was going to point out was Trish Adora, who has been on pretty much weekly these days either on AEW or RoH, loses to Yuka who hasn't had a match in AEW or RoH since last March. And now Yuka seems to be facing Serena.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,098 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like AEW, some quality matches plus it has Christian but no matter who they sign, it is clear imho Punk was the biggest and given though he is gone, the headlines are still on him, the ratings, merchandise sales and media attention etc., was Punk

Any update on returning MJF, are we getting him vs. Adam Cole? Is Cole still injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What was with the random HLA? Trouble between Mariah and Toni?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭ThePott

On my end I felt it was just a really outdated dig. Like people have been saying that for like twenty years now and I think at a certain point saying 'ha, this guy shouldn't be in his position' after a massively successful Wrestlemania sounded dumb. Considering how long he's been there and the amount of success he's had in the position and how much talent seem to enjoy having him there it just seemed a bit toothless. Renee looked uncomfortable about it too. I also think dedicating TV time to it is again, just dumb, focusing on niche internet drama isn't worth it.

Now at the same time, it was totally fair for Will to respond. Triple H's dig was unnecessary, even if it was on a smaller platform that not everyone will see. I think if anything Ospreay should take issue with the grind comment because if anything it shows an unflattering or old mindset about talent that WWE and Triple H shouldn't be glamourising. I would be happy if both promotions stopped taking shots, they're rarely anything good and it doesn't make it feel like some cool wrestling war in my opinion. Just lame promos with internet insults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Ospreay vs Claudio announced for Dynamite next week, TK cooking up that good stuff again, lovely.

Also Toni Storm vs AZM announced for Collision. Anyone who's familiar with STARDOM knows that has the potential to be a brilliant match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Why would people hate any promotion, or want it gone? Just because people criticise parts of it, doesn't mean they want it to shut down, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This whole shots at each other is indeed tiring I love aew because it got me reinterested in Wrestling again after wwe somewhat ruined it

Great to see WWE firing again but for me I wish Punk would just go away he totally derailed AEW with his antics wrongly or right and he seems like the only anchor from a previous era

I'd much rather see the companies working together like a WWE AEW forbidden door would be incredible imagine the show they could put on together but that seems further than ever away again because of all this cm punk bullshit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ospreay felt that Levesque took a cheap shot at him despite Ospreay never once knocking WWE or its talent during his negotiating period, which he felt he had approached with good faith in regards to any interest WWE had in him. Thus, he felt the need to respond.

Exact wording on the family situation element below:

Ospreay said in negotiations with both sides that Windsor wanted to stay in the U.K. with her family because she lost her husband in 2020 to a suicide and he said he would do everything he could to have them stay in the U.K., where she had her family's support. He said that everyone he negotiated with was aware of this and thus felt it was a real low blow to make that remark about him.https://www.f4wonline.com/newsletters/wrestling-observer-newsletter/april-15-2024-observer-newsletter-wwe-wrestlemania-40-reviewed-aew-airs-cm-punk-jack-perry-all-in-footage

If anyone thinks the WWE isn’t intent in trying to put AEW out of business they are completely naive, If anyone thinks WWE letting talent appear at AJPW or GCW Bloodsport isn’t an attempt to get there foot in the door to eventually buy out those companies they are completely naive. Evolve, The British wrestling scene in recent history tells us this is what the fed does and what they have always done. Anyone who doesn’t think WWE shills on the podcasts and social media scene aren’t paid by the WWE in one form or another to disparage AEW are totally naive this is what the fed do and history has proven this.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Cotts72

From the way Perry is carrying on tonight in NJPW event you can see why punk wanted to knock him down a peg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Punk_N_Wrestlin

Hey all, just finished Dynamite and seen a few other matches from this week. Thought i'd share a bit.

Going to be 100% honest. The All in Footage & The (IMO) lackluster Dynamite card really hurt this week. I think the best thing AEW could have done is just ignore the mania season hype and just continue doing what they can to put the best shows on. Like you don't have to respond to Punk or HHH or anyone, its just feeding the Cornettes and the Bischoffs out there who make a living off of **** on something they choose not to enjoy.

Glad to see Mox win the big one in Japan, hell still get **** on by the people I mentioned above but really still appreciate how he carried the world title over covid and will always remember that. Jack Perry on the same show at least got a reaction for his heel character? I mean to be real, up until he went away his character was **** dreadful. Like hes a young guy and hopefully his career isn't too negatively affected by this… but you never know. I hope he does the best he can going forward.

Still looking forward to Dynasty. PPV's are still what Aew do best. I do think this year has been so so promising even with the bullshit over Mania season. Also people saying its "2000 WCW bad". I can see the sentiment, but I feel its more like old TNA vibes with the references. Idk just talking shite really.

Hope this community stays strong going forward. Theres brighter days ahead. - Karl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Collision and Battle of the Belts were just more predictable jobber fests again with obvious outcomes. If selling tickets for a Sat night event you'd think they would put just a bit more effort into the booking and making matches mean something.

• Advertisement

Its very good to see the AEW woman's division getting more featured TV time over the last couple of months the talent they have in that division is just so good. I would like to see talent from NJPW/Stardom/CMLL win a few more matches on TV to showcase those promotions even put an AEW/ROH secondary title on them.

Regards,

P.

Advertisement