Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He's.... OK in the ring. A little clumsy, if I'm brutally honest. But can sell his ass off, and great facials. There's money there somewhere it just has to be done very carefully.

Best match I've seen him in is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVSIR79194

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Maki Itoh is still a thing, and really improving in ring. She's still in TJPW.

Danhausen is great though. The few matches I've seen, he's not the best wrestler in the world like, but he's great for that low end or even lower mid-card tier of guys, or can put him in a stable and help elevate others as he's great at getting attention (he got the Gunn club trending as AssBoys on twitter). With how much he's mentioning AEW in some things atm, I kind of feel he's a cert to sign tbh. He's got too many fans high up in AEW (likes of Cody, Jericho etc) to not imo. Injury is just holding it up, although you could probably sign him now and just have rolling around in a wheelchair and he'd get over.

I do think he'd need to lessen some of the stuff he does in the ring (not sure we'll be getting teeth for one), but his outside ring stuff is fantastic. There's way too much stuff he can do in AEW already (can work with Jericho/Inner Circle, add him to Darby and Sting as the annoying member of their group, have him join Dark Order or Best Friends, go around following Britt asking for teeth etc). Like do I want to see Danhausen wrestle Omega, Danielson, Page etc nope, but him interacting with Jericho, Darby, Sting, John Silver, Orange Cassidy etc will be fun, and with the stuff with Conan that he's done, i do think he can cross over and draw more viewers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Windham, Abadon & Danhausen is build in Freaks and Geeks stable covering main event talent, female talent & midcard talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I agree that Danhausen is a meme wrestler but Itoh isn't, she had one of the matches of the year against Miyu Yamashita in TJPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Staying in the hotel next to the Arena and there's a few AEW heads around! Just met Griff, Tully, Sonjay Dutt and Tony Nese. Random group!

• Advertisement

Ignoring week-by-week variation, there's a clear, gradual linear trend upwards in AEW's viewership since crowd's returned in April (white line on the grey curve). Meanwhile Raw is at best holding steady, or possibly even in decline (white line on the red curve)...

Where might these arrows meet?... Early/mid next year?

That. Was. F*cking. Perfection. 22 of the greatest minutes in pro-wrestling history, and not a single punch thrown!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Only watched that first segment so far. Absolute magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Will update more when sober. Today in my hotel I've met about 35 or more AEW stars, some who didn't appear on any of the shows tonight. Ruby Soho is a **** legend lads, can't stress it enough. We chatted for ages on punk bands, exchanged pins and patches and the whole lot. Top class act!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

During that main event I was expecting someone on commentary to refer to Chicago as Bizarro world.

It's mad how easily Bryan switched to a heel persona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thought MJF was totally outclassed, to be honest. Had 75% of the mic time but his lines were crap. Punk had some great burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I absolutely loved that segment with MJF and Punk, he's forever going to be plagued with Miz chants going forward. AEW has rekindled my love entirely for pro wrestling, I can't wait to catch the shows each week. I can't bring myself to watch the other product any more

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That Miz line was absolutely savage. I thought MJF was fine, and I loved his Cena lines. But a lot of his stuff was, as Punk said, low hanging fruit.

buuuut I feel it was probably designed a bit to have Punk win, so that MJF has a reason and motivation to assault Punk and beat him down eventually. Thought it was magic overall though.

It'll be interesting how they do when they move to TBS. There's a clear drop atm due to the West Coast issues, so if they can get back to 1.2/1.3m a week and then draw higher on loaded weeks, they could get close to Raw

Got to love how Cody is doing such a great job at being a heel and playing on it by sticking to his whole baby face routine on top of claiming he will never turn heel it's been so well done and when the waist belt got thrown back in during the main event it was perfection.

You see Penta break his hole laughing under the mask and face paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My God what a show.

We experienced the best Promo in AEW history and one of the best ever

That main event with Cody's belt being thrown back, that had me in stitches, it was epic. The look on Cody in disbelief, bloody priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Though it was Aubrey that got hit with the belt. Must've been someone who never forgot the role she played in the conspiracy against Britt.

Britt didn't go off one however Punk must have been reading ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Another bit I loved about the main event, all the heels beat the crap out of Cody in their corner and the fans love them and they automatically turn into Faces

Brilliant tbh

Exactly what I was thinking. It was long, but it all made sense. MJF opens with the low hanging fruit, Punk fires back with the jealous fan/Miz line. 1-0 Punk. MJF takes it up a level with comments about selling out and being second best in other promotions. Punk fires back with a more direct physical challenge, torching him with the NY Times Obituaries and Britt Baker lines. 2-0 Punk. MJF then backs away from a fight. Babyface the clear winner, and the heel now with justification to do something wretched to him in coming weeks. Chef's kiss.

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten about that. Could be earlier indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Most of MJF's stuff is low hanging fruit, he just manages to make it entertaining. One day he'll have to evolve with his promo but for now he's fine.

Be interesting where MJF goes. There's a very obvious heel thing in the Colt stuff but I'd assume they'll only go there if Punk and Colt are cool with it. It would be giant heat though if he went there.

It'll be interesting for sure. The obvious next step is to get physical, but it'll actually be far harder for them to make a physical heat segment stand out, given the amount of beat-downs, backstage attacks, no DQ matches etc that we already see. I'm sure they've something up their sleeve though.

Couple of other great moments on the show: Darby channeling his inner Dick Butkus with that thundering hit on whichever Ass Boy is presumably now in a recovery ward somewhere.

Also thought Thunder Rosa got a great match out of Hayter.

On the downside. What on earth are they doing with Eddie Kingston? He was on fire going into the Punk match, as a credible, relatable, tortured everyman, and now his gimmick is, don't interrupt me while I'm eating my cake? wtf? Also, why have the same guys who punk Kingston in one segment, then interrupt a later segment with Jericho (have they ever interacted before?), who proceeds to verbally berate them into backing away? How weak did that make Eddie look? Those combined segments were blunders for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

RE: Eddie Kingston - I'm assuming that there's an endgame somewhere in whatever Tony's doing.

A large majority of wrestling fans these days do not have the attention span to let a story play out over time if they do not know where it is going after 5 minutes the booker is useless and and they are right the storyline is crap. Page becoming world chapion took two years to tell that story. In the WWE he would have been world champion after a week and lost the title the next night that is the kind of fan that wrestling has now they want everything and they want everything now no attention span for long term story telling that can drop in and out over time.

I'm just thinking - reverse those two segments and it would have been perfect. Have 2.0/Garcia get one over on someone like Jericho in a first segment, then later interrupt Eddie and have him roast them.

Kingston needs wins too. Garcia is the perfect person for that as he looks good in every match even if he loses. I'd assume 2.0 are losing to Jericho and Hager then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Oh believe me, I see a whole lot of what you've said on Twitter., especially when it came to the Hangman story.

Advertisement