Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Loughc wrote: »
    Don’t forget Zack Ryder now that he’s free of the mean WWE machine was going to show everyone just how WWE under-utilised him.

Even his best friend wouldn’t push him.

Whatever about Ryder, to be honest. It's been a long time since I thought he was entertaining.

However, I thought Rusev could've been a serious boon for AEW. But first impressions matter and as soon as he debuted in Disney pyjamas (I don't care how expensive they are) and talked about brass rings my interest in him plummeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Having the NWA title on AEW TV could have been part of the deal to get Thunder Rosa who is contracted to NWA.

With NWA not having TV over the last 8 months Billy Corgan could have yes you can use Thunder Rosa however I want it known she is the NWA champion and I want NWA mentioned to keep the name out there so fans know the company hasn't closed down.

If that is the case I'm fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

J. Marston wrote: »
    Whatever about Ryder, to be honest. It's been a long time since I thought he was entertaining.

However, I thought Rusev could've been a serious boon for AEW. But first impressions matter and as soon as he debuted in Disney pyjamas (I don't care how expensive they are) and talked about brass rings my interest in him plummeted.

Miro has been the most disappointing thing in aew for me

He was misused and held back in wwe but this character is just worse if I’m being honest and being stuck with kip who is imo one of the most meh wrestlers there is I just don’t get it he’s get everything to be pushed as main event heel or face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Despite having a Fite sub I only manage to dip into AEW every few weeks. It's not perfect, there's plenty of inexperience on the roster but what a difference it makes when the matches make logical sense and they allow feuds to develop over a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

Initially I was delighted they didn’t throw Miro into the main event like they did with Cage and Archer because he wouldn’t win the title and it would only hurt him.

So the low key debut initially worked for me. However, unless he turns on and absolutely destroys Kip Sabian to the point where Kip is hospitalised for a month to recover, then this is just not going to work out.

Weirdly he’s a guy where I want less of his personality than more. The wrestler/gaming stuff works for some, but not for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When Miro cut his first promo and said “I’m the best gamer” I was like I don’t give a rats mate. Who cares?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

They didnt have to push him to the Main Event but give him a meaningful spot.

The best man role would have been more suited to a unknown heater like Hobbs at the time. My own thoughts at the time a comedy act such as Enzo would have been more suited.

Id love to see Cage or Archer stay unbeaten, avoid Mox and get beaten by a debuting face Miro.

They need to cut their loses with this and repackage Miro in a few months. AEW havent been afraid to end unpopular Programs like Brandi Rhodes heel faction. Just end it now and save some face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

AEW always seem to be in it for the long game so i'd bide my time with Miro it's not great but it's not overly offensive either , people were giving out about Omega aswell not being the same and he's only turning the corner now and it's been booked brilliantly

I tune into AEW every week it's not perfect but it's entertaining, I can't remember the last time i actually watched a wrestling show front to back on a weekley basis

AEW always seem to be in it for the long game so i'd bide my time with Miro it's not great but it's not overly offensive either , people were giving out about Omega aswell not being the same and he's only turning the corner now and it's been booked brilliantly

I tune into AEW every week it's not perfect but it's entertaining, I can't remember the last time i actually watched a wrestling show front to back on a weekley basis

Yes its not perfect but entertaining. AEW do a hell of a lot right than wrong. They are still fair game for criticising though, Miros booking being rightly panned.

Yes, changes to booking can easily change a charatcers value and Miro can easily be rehabed. But everything up until this point of him has been either underwhelming or just poor. They can do better.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I’m also finally watching weekly wrestling again and pretty entertained for the entire two hours. Prior to AEW, it was Summer of Punk when I was even close to being this interested in tuning in weekly - and I mean close. I still didn’t watch entire shows back then.

For that I’d have to go back to 2001!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Buzzing for Mox/Omega, gonna be a cracker. For me it feels like ages since a pro-wrestling world title match in North America has felt this big, love it.

Have really enjoyed Mox's reign but I think its time for a change, Kenny all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I'm a very casual AEW watcher, mainly just the ppvs on occasion. Just on the Mox as champion, has he been a solid champ or has the length of his reign artificially imbued it with legitimacy. I felt Jericho was truly top of the card stuff as heel, is it just that hard to book interesting face champs these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I'm a very casual AEW watcher, mainly just the ppvs on occasion. Just on the Mox as champion, has he been a solid champ or has the length of his reign artificially imbued it with legitimacy. I felt Jericho was truly top of the card stuff as heel, is it just that hard to book interesting face champs these days?

Interesting point. I've enjoyed Mox's title reign, his matches have delivered, his programmes at least interesting and on the stick he's been at the top of his game. I think, in front of a live crowd, he'd have done far better.

In American wrestling maybe it is tougher to book a face champion, but I think that's more down to the obsession with cool heels post NWO in major American companies. If the heels are the cool guys, why would you cheer for the other guy?

Smacruairi wrote: »

I think Mox has been booked perfectly. The perfect modern face. Not over exposed. Built like he’s a genuine superstar in terms of character but also his appearance and demeanour.

I was turned off by the Ambrose character in WWE despite initially being fascinated by him. Ultimately over exposure hurt him in my opinion.

Despite being world champ, he might only get 15 mins AEW tv time which is perfect to retain his draw ability.

ciaran2054 wrote: »
    I think Mox has been booked perfectly. The perfect modern face. Not over exposed. Built like he’s a genuine superstar in terms of character but also his appearance and demeanour.

I was turned off by the Ambrose character in WWE despite initially being fascinated by him. Ultimately over exposure hurt him in my opinion.

Despite being world champ, he might only get 15 mins AEW tv time which is perfect to retain his draw ability.

I agree regarding over exposure, its why Lesnar worked, you make each title match feel like a huge event. Maybe it's because I don't have the weekly buyin, but I just felt like he was not quite at the very top.

Walter in OTT would be an example of what I like in a champion, but again a heel, maybe I'm a Wrasslin' mark always coming back to watch the struggle against the greater odds. I remember Osprey vs Walter last year /year before, it just felt huge.

Actually thought his reign was fairly dull up to Eddie Kingston and now with Kenny too it’s been great stuff

World Champions should really only wrestle on PPV's give them minutes of TV time between PPV's to build up feuds be that a beat down or verbal's.

The World Champion is an attraction and should not be over exposed wrestling every week like a Jabroni.

I think AEW have used Mox the right way to build up that attraction of having a World Champion.

sky88 wrote: »
    Actually thought his reign was fairly dull up to Eddie Kingston and now with Kenny too it’s been great stuff

I wouldn't say dull. Hes carried himself well. He got what he could out of a past it Jericho, and took carried MJF to a passable match.

He made the most of Archer and Cage, who are good but not great. He did what he could with what was in front of him. Hes lacked a real meaty feud to really get him over and thats no fault of his own. Then Kingston came along and gave him the push he needed. Hes been fine. Not spectacular but not boring and his personality has kept him trucking.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't say dull. Hes carried himself well. He got what he could out of a past it Jericho, and took carried MJF to a passable match.

He made the most of Archer and Cage, who are good but not great. He did what he could with what was in front of him. Hes lacked a real meaty feud to really get him over and thats no fault of his own. Then Kingston came along and gave him the push he needed. Hes been fine. Not spectacular but not boring and his personality has kept him trucking.

I wasn’t really talking about his matches but the feuds themselves I just wasn’t into too especially cage but I’m not a fan of him at all

As I was listening to stone cold & taker talk about both thinking they were better in the chase I kinda feel moxley goes into that category as the build up and execution of his title win was brilliant

Last weeks pre Thanksgiving ratings were out tonight.

AEW 710k ranked 7th most watched show of the night

NXT 712k ranked 25th most watched show of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This a demographics thing again? Because I was taught 712 is higher than 710

sky88 wrote: »
    I wasn’t really talking about his matches but the feuds themselves I just wasn’t into too especially cage but I’m not a fan of him at all

As I was listening to stone cold & taker talk about both thinking they were better in the chase I kinda feel moxley goes into that category as the build up and execution of his title win was brilliant

I likened him to Triple H pre Cactus Jack feud in 99. Hes got all the tools, just needed the right dance partner to solidify him.

I believe Kingston was that guy. He got the best out of Mox.

Well there is a reason the Demo God is on AEW TV.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    This a demographics thing again? Because I was taught 712 is higher than 710

Not that the ratings from last week are great (Thanksgiving and all that) if you think 7th in the demo with 2k less total viewers than 25th in the demo is better then you're not getting how TV ratings work or what's important to the networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The ratings "war" continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How does the ordinal scale used to determine key demo share control for a reduction in baseline?

In other words, what if you are capturing an increased share of a smaller pie.

Simple example:

Assume Show A and Show B are the only shows on TV. 1m total viewers in the key demo and they both get 500k, i.e., the share is 0.50 each.

Suppose the next week they have scared away half their viewers in the key demo (i.e., 500k), but Show A has a slight edge. Say it's 260k vs 240k. The share of the key demo is now 0.52 to 0.48.

Is Show A lamenting the loss of 240k viewers or celebrating an edge in terms share?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    How does the ordinal scale used to determine key demo share control for a reduction in baseline?

In other words, what if you are capturing an increased share of a smaller pie.

Simple example:

Assume Show A and Show B are the only shows on TV. 1m total viewers in the key demo and they both get 500k, i.e., the share is 0.50 each.

Suppose the next week they have scared away half their viewers in the key demo (i.e., 500k), but Show A has a slight edge. Say it's 260k vs 240k. The share of the key demo is now 0.52 to 0.48.

Is Show A lamenting the loss of 240k viewers or celebrating an edge in terms share?

If either of these shows were doing 0.52 in the demo they'd be over the moon. But the actual breakdown last week was 0.26 to NXT's 0.20 with NXT having 2k extra in overall viewers. AEW's lowest demo in ages, NXT'S highest, you can give reasons why that is but that's a separate issue, in the demo, even on this night, it still was not even close. The only category NXT won, which they always win, is the over 50's. Of course AEW, or any show, would rather a 0.26 in the demo, rather than a 0.2 and a couple extra thousand old people watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not a shot at the poster sharing the information but does anyone else here just not give a f*ck about ratings and 0.52 demos and 7th, 10th, 25th most watched show in another country?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not a shot at the poster sharing the information but does anyone else here just not give a f*ck about ratings and 0.52 demos and 7th, 10th, 25th most watched show in another country?

Agreed. Unless it's 1mill vs 100k it's nxt (a show that vince doesn't really care about) doing exactly what it was made for, run interference against a rival show.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »

Well it's those ratings that have gotten AEW renewed. And the ratings have shown up a lot of things. Before AEW existed and before NXT was on Network, who in their right mind would have imagined that NXT, presented as the young viable alternate to the main roster, would not attract young fans? That's only one of the stories they tell, and if you break down further into the quarter hours and see patterns, all of a sudden maybe you start to see whose over, who isn't or even what works and what doesn't. Ratings aren't the be all and end all of wrestling analysis but they're a handy starting point.

Advertisement