Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skerries wrote: »
    did you do any 3D Mark testing before you upgraded?

I done many testing different days but I never ran Firestrix with the new 5700 XT.

I only ordered the parts yesterday. Hopefully they arrive at least middle of the week but realistically they better arrive before Friday.

Can't say I have had the same experience.

Really. What problems did you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

My experience with Gigabyte has usually been good.

The only issues I've had in the relatively long list of their motherboards I've had that I can think of would be:
    • Their supplied integrated audio drive causing bluescreens in Windows XP with the 790FX board I had. Solved with a later driver.
    • The system locking up and failing to boot if an M.2 was installed and CSM was enabled with the new X570 board I have. It was solved a few BIOS revisions back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Really. What problems did you have?

3 DOA's on x99 boards, forums had a bunch of people with the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,971 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm getting that upgrade bug guys lol

Tempted to get:
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

How much would I get for the following:

MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming
    AMD RYZEN 7 2700X

All bought in Oct 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Where you based headshot?

Depending on the above Id be interested in the 1080 Ti,for that reason i wont suggest a price but if you do sell let me know what your looking for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Some Virgin contracts seem to block any connection to torrent programs like qbittorrent; anyone know any way around that? AFAIK they're not really supposed to do that, plenty of legit content is released via torrent, like open source software, and mods...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

PostWoke wrote: »
    Some Virgin contracts seem to block any connection to torrent programs like qbittorrent; anyone know any way around that? AFAIK they're not really supposed to do that, plenty of legit content is released via torrent, like open source software, and mods...

VPN?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    VPN?

I think it's more they're blocking a specific port or something? I dunno if a VPN would get around that, plus it would slow the connection down.

My Ryzen system parts arrived yesterday except for case and cooler which arrived today. I just kept the stock cooler for now as it looks good imo and with a custom fan curve it is fine. At stock it ramped up and down every so often.

I have it setup to run at 4.4Ghz but it doesn't actually run at that as the bclk when set to 100 goes t0 99.80 for some reason. I'm pretty new to Ryzen so I will have to look into that but afaik it's pretty normal.

I ran a quick timespy bench and again my 5700 XT is not a great overclocker on core.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8733627

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So looks like Arctic has quietly released their new Liquid Freezer II lineup.
    61-davCBb-L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51xJ%2BYwK%2BqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51eWRpTn0QL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Prices are much lower than competitors, e.g. NZXT
    model|radiator size | price (£GB)
    Arctic Liquid II|120|50
    NZXT M22|120|70
    NZXT X42|140|100
    Arctic Liquid II|240|60
    NZXT X52|240|100
    Arctic Liquid II|280|70
    NZXT X62|280|135
    Arctic Liquid II|360|80
    NZXT X72|360|160

I've bought the 280 to see how it does against my Noctua NH-U14S.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

https://pcper.com/2019/10/intel-reveals-x-series-processor-pricing-availability/

Big price cuts coming on the new HEDT stuff from Intel - 18 cores for less than 1k USD. They don't look nearly as bad with the new pricing, but I suspect Threadripper 3 will give you way more for your money when it launches.

Given Intel posted a plot of a large increase in performance/$, since performance wasn't going to move massively the only thing that could accomplish that would be a large price cut which is what's happened.

z0oT wrote: »
    https://pcper.com/2019/10/intel-reveals-x-series-processor-pricing-availability/

Big price cuts coming on the new HEDT stuff from Intel - 18 cores for less than 1k USD. They don't look nearly as bad with the new pricing, but I suspect Threadripper 3 will give you way more for your money when it launches.

Given Intel posted a plot of a large increase in performance/$, since performance wasn't going to move massively the only thing that could accomplish that would be a large price cut which is what's happened.

Would make you wonder what the profit margin was on the previous processors that they can drop the price by 50% with no real process change.

I suspect that with the way the AMD processors are made, they can drop the price of a 32 core threadripper to match these 18 core Intel processors and still have a healthy profit margin.

And in the server market, the large vendors are slamming AMD out of it with orders. The 7002 EYPC server processors are in another league, Intel could drop prices by 50% and still be priced out of the market.

Another user had an Enermax AIO issue last month, looks like Enermax is using toilet water in their AIO's lol

Latest Windows 10 update has bricked my system. Won't get past the blue logo.
    Fvck.

UPDATE
    I plugged in my Windows 10 install key... and it just worked, booted right into Windows.
    WTF

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1903? Or the September update meant to fix it? Or the new Hotfix meant to fix the September update? (which is also broken and is now waiting on a hotfix for its hotfix)

Guys what 2080 TI card would you recommend.?

I'm looking at the

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Headshot wrote: »

I'm looking at the

Hard to go wrong with an EVGA card.

Headshot wrote: »

I'm looking at the

At this price point & power output, I'd say it's foolish not to get a water-cooled design.
    Gigabyte's Waterforce has an integrated 240mm AIO with RGB lights & a 4 year warranty.
    MSI & EVGA have models with 120mm AIO.

There's also the cards from MSI & Gigabyte with a custom-loop compatible waterblock installed.

If you don't fancy watercooled, get one of the MSI triple-fan models (Duke or Gaming X Trio) or Asus Strix for low-noise.

There's also this PNY triple-fan which is the cheapest I've found: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-GeForce%C2%AE-2080-GAMING-TRIPLE/dp/B07GJ7TV8L/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=2080ti&qid=1570477051&refinements=p_36%3A-105000&rnid=428432031&s=computers&sr=1-3
    And if the cooler sucks, get an NZXT Kraken G12 bracket & Kraken X52 240mm AIO and slap them on yourself.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    At this price point & power output, I'd say it's foolish not to get a water-cooled design.
    Gigabyte's Waterforce has an integrated 240mm AIO with RGB lights & a 4 year warranty.

There's also the cards from MSI & Gigabyte with a custom-loop compatible waterblock installed.

If you don't fancy watercooled, get one of the MSI triple-fan models (Duke or Gaming X Trio) or Asus Strix for low-noise.

There's also this PNY triple-fan which is the cheapest I've found: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-GeForce%C2%AE-2080-GAMING-TRIPLE/dp/B07GJ7TV8L/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=2080ti&qid=1570477051&refinements=p_36%3A-105000&rnid=428432031&s=computers&sr=1-3
    And if the cooler sucks, get an NZXT Kraken G12 bracket & Kraken X52 240mm AIO and slap them on yourself.

This the Gigabyte one you're talking about?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-aorus-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-xtreme-aio-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ak-gi.html

Looks very interested, must find some reviews on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've a Gaming X Trio, can't fault it. Really good cooler on it. Obviously water would be better but as air coolers go its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The MSI cards, especially the Gaming x Trio's are beasts when it comes to the hardware and 100% silent even under load but their software is absolute fúcking garbage the likes of which I've not seen in a long time. At the most basic level of just trying to change the color of the cards RGB settings, it just doesn't work. I've had to uninstall and reinstall the software every other day and 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't work. The Dragon Centre software that you have to use with the RTX cards, not only installs a ton of other companies RGB software such as Galax's but it also overrides your computers power-saving settings. The MSI support forums are riddled with users complaining about these issues, with the forums mods banning non-abusive customers and closing treads. My last 3 GPU's have all been MSI but my next one sure as hell won't be.

.G. wrote: »
    Obviously water would be better

Not particularly.

Good to see the first details of the 5500, sucks that there's no price yet. Outlets are saying 150 might be a good price... I think that's optimistic. I'm also curious about how Red Dead 2 will perform on it.

Not particularly.

Water on GPU is ALWAYS better performance, no exceptions.

Honestly, I would pay more for EVGA's support model on a top end card like that for a minor feature reduction.

Honestly, I would pay more for EVGA's support model on a top end card like that for a minor feature reduction.

EVGA have 3 water-cooled cards themselves, though they only use 120mm radiators on the AIO models.

Nope.

He also said 'better' as in a better choice in general, which is a sum of a number of variables. Including failure, and features like no-spin on air coolers when under a certain temperature. Better for cooler airflow in the case in general too, irrespective of your configuration. You're either pumping hot air directly out of the case which takes up fan space that could be pushing air through the case, or you're pushing already warm air through your case.

Nope.

He also said 'better' as in a better choice in general, which is a sum of a number of variables. Including failure, and features like no-spin on air coolers when under a certain temperature. Better for cooler airflow in the case in general too, irrespective of your configuration. You're either pumping hot air directly out of the case which takes up fan space that could be pushing air through the case, or you're pushing already warm air through your case.

I once plugged out the AIO fan on my 980 Ti by accident, but played games anyway.
    It didn't throttle, just got hot (80C or so after 2-3hrs).

You're also misunderstanding that AIO can be run with MUCH lower fans than air heatsink for the same performance - thus lower noise.

But w/e, you've made up your mind that "water = bad" and I'm not gonna bother showing you more data.

Venom wrote: »
    The MSI cards, especially the Gaming x Trio's are beasts when it comes to the hardware and 100% silent even under load but their software is absolute fúcking garbage the likes of which I've not seen in a long time. At the most basic level of just trying to change the color of the cards RGB settings, it just doesn't work. I've had to uninstall and reinstall the software every other day and 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't work. The Dragon Centre software that you have to use with the RTX cards, not only installs a ton of other companies RGB software such as Galax's but it also overrides your computers power-saving settings. The MSI support forums are riddled with users complaining about these issues, with the forums mods banning non-abusive customers and closing treads. My last 3 GPU's have all been MSI but my next one sure as hell won't be.

MSI Mystic light is what I used to set the colour of my 2080ti. Worked without issue. It and afterburner are all I installed from MSI.

• Advertisement

Nope.

I meant better as in better temps and generally quieter but my air cooled one is very quiet anyway.

Advertisement