Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Are you on X470 or X570 chipset?

Thought gen 4 PCI was on X570 only or did that change?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,045 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

EoinHef wrote: »
    Are you on X470 or X570 chipset?

Thought gen 4 PCI was on X570 only or did that change?

It is put it's backwards compatible with Gen 3

I'm also buying it to be future proof as some time (along long time off) ill get a X570

Nice one,some serious speeds there!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I splashed out on a PCIe 4.0 drive too when I built the X570 setup I have now. It wasn't cheap, but I wouldn't call it ridiculously overpriced.

Still though, this is probably waay better value. I'm tempted to get that Intel drive to fill my 2nd M.2 slot.

Anyway, these are the speeds I get. That 5GB/s read number is nice to see. :pac:

493560.png

This is the Aorus drive. All of the PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives you can get currently I believe are the same underneath the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How are they day to day? Like do you notice a speed increase. I have a X570 but never bought new SSD's, just carried over my old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

How are they day to day? Like do you notice a speed increase. I have a X570 but never bought new SSD's, just carried over my old.
    If I'm honest I don't really notice any speed difference between running the system off the PCIe 4.0 drive vs the old Samsung 850 Evo SSD I used to use.

The only real thing I've noticed is that local copying of big files on the M.2 drive is definitely faster, but I hardly ever have to do that.

Another factor is that the PCIe 4.0 drives run hot, realistically they need active cooling. The chipset fan on the X570 board I have does a good job of keeping it cool though. It's like the chipset fan on my board is more for the M.2 drive than the chipset itself.

That's one of the reasons I never upgraded my SSD's. I have a very early PCIe 2.0 NVMe drive and obviously it is a lot quicker than a SATA SSD. I don't feel the difference day to day.

I thought I read that before about not seeing the difference day to day even with faster NVMe drives and even you said it now with a really quick NVMe drive. You just don't see the difference day to day. But as you said transferring large files or running a benchmark you see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

I am the same. I now have a good nvme m2 but previous primary was a basic 500gb kingston. Don't really notice any difference. Not saying there isn't one, but I think a lot of people shell out for 'the best' even when it doesn't really show much benefit to them.

that's always been the way with pc hardware, always people who have crazy setups on paper that don't remotely benefit their real world setups. you see it here on this forum regularly. My housemate has a 1080ti and 8700k and a standard 1080p 60hz monitor. Not saying everyone with such hardware is like that but there's often a massive paper spec associated with it.

Personally i try cut down on the frills and try just get the best performance for my budget.

But at the same time if i had a ton of money spare to spend id have a 9900K and 2080ti:P

Why not if the cash is available and its something you enjoy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Better to get a gen 3x4 3500MB/s drive and not have to deal with the x570 fan driving you crazy IMO, dunno in what use case people would be able to tell the difference between 3500MB/s and 5000MB/s.

x570 and the lack of B550 put a real dampener on the launch of Ryzen 2 for me personally. Not enthused about on motherboard fans, they're tiny and so audible. Would rather a big heatpipe instead if needed.

If PC Building is a big part of your life and you get enjoyment out of having the new shiny in your hands/ in your rig you do you of course :)

• Advertisement

I'm on X570. The PCH fan is inaudible in my build.

I'm on X570. The PCH fan is inaudible in my build.

I've had the opposite experiences with friends' boards.

And it's just unnecessary jank, and another possible point of failure. I would be surprised if x670 boards had them, seems like a very mid-gen refresh, 'just stick a fan on'. I would say most x670 boards will have temps sorted or at least use a big heatpipe solution instead like that one x570 board does.

PostWoke wrote: »
    I've had the opposite experiences with friends' boards.

And it's just unnecessary jank, and another possible point of failure. I would be surprised if x670 boards had them, seems like a very mid-gen refresh, 'just stick a fan on'. I would say most x670 boards will have temps sorted or at least use a big heatpipe solution instead like that one x570 board does.

I can't hear my X570 fan but I agree there should have been heat pipes. My old X58 has heat pipes and even there big accessory that screws into the Northbridge
    and from there it screws into the top PCIe slot on case (not a PCIe slot on motherboard)

There was another heat pipe but you cannot see it going down to southbridge.

gigabyte-x58a-ud7.jpg

That picture perfectly illustrates why I'm unimpressed mobo fans are back... they're from an era where I cannot even begin to tell you what some of that IO is. What is the gold plated stuff? Are the bottom two that e-sata format? Wouldn't mind seeing something like that come back, we're due a new port to play with :P USB C is covering all bases though, no fun.

That picture perfectly illustrates why I'm unimpressed mobo fans are back... they're from an era where I cannot even begin to tell you what some of that IO is. What is the gold plated stuff? Are the bottom two that e-sata format? Wouldn't mind seeing something like that come back, we're due a new port to play with :P USB C is covering all bases though, no fun.

Yea, two bottom are eSATA and top two yellow are IEEE 1394a sockets. It also has a clear CMOS button on I/O back panel.

That big heat sink had the official Gigabyte name as Hybrid Silent-Pipe Module.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-10/radeon-rx-5700-xt-geforce-rtx-2070-super-pcie-4.0-oc-uv/

Undervolting should be every enthusiast's first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Inviere

Has anyone any thoughts on the Sentry 2.0? I know it's bloody pricey for what it is, and the Node 202 is eyeballing it at a much lower price. I'm considering repurposing my 7700k mitx build to be an under the tv emulation box, and the case makes or breaks this - from the look of the Node it's a tad too big, but the Sentry looks absolutely beautiful for the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Where does one buy that? Looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Inviere

Homelander wrote: »
    Where does one buy that? Looks amazing.

It was/is Kickstarter only at the mo, but apparently they're planning to retail it themselves at some stage soon enough. Really like the look of it...

Inviere wrote: »
    Has anyone any thoughts on the Sentry 2.0? I know it's bloody pricey for what it is, and the Node 202 is eyeballing it at a much lower price. I'm considering repurposing my 7700k mitx build to be an under the tv emulation box, and the case makes or breaks this - from the look of the Node it's a tad too big, but the Sentry looks absolutely beautiful for the job...

Sentry 2.0
    340 x 310 x 66mm, 6.9L

Node 202
    377 x 330 x 83 mm, 10.2L

2-4cm bigger in each dimension & will have a bigger air gap for the CPU cooler.

• Advertisement

Hybrid Silent-Pipe

Gimme some o' dat in future.

Gimme some o' dat in future.

It's hard to believe that was 10 years ago. They are going backwards. Someone could have easily made something like that for X570 instead they all chose the cheaper option of a fan.

It's hard to believe that was 10 years ago. They are going backwards. Someone could have easily made something like that for X570 instead they all chose the cheaper option of a fan.

In a lot of ways x570 feels like a janky rushjob. We should have quad channel RAM by now, Epyc and I believe Threadripper has had it for ages that stuff is supposed to trickle down. I have more hope for a few B550 boards/x670/B650. But we're looking at a new socket for most of that, considering AMD only promised up until 2020 for AM4, right?

In a lot of ways x570 feels like a janky rushjob. We should have quad channel RAM by now, Epyc and I believe Threadripper has had it for ages that stuff is supposed to trickle down. I have more hope for a few B550 boards/x670/B650. But we're looking at a new socket for most of that, considering AMD only promised up until 2020 for AM4, right?

There isn't really any need for quad channel RAM for general use cases like gaming and such which is why HEDT exist with higher core counts and have quad channel memory.

That board I posted with the massive heat sink had triple channel memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd assume the next generation chipset will probably have the wattage down to passive levels again for v4. That being said, when doubling bandwidth it's not surprising that energy and heat double as well.

Guys what do you think of the scores for a Corsair MP600

AhpynL1.png

Using a PCIe 3.0 slot

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what do you think of the scores for a Corsair MP600

AhpynL1.png

Using a PCIe 3.0 slot

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    Mobo: Aorus X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

PCIE4.0 no?

ED E wrote: »
    PCIE4.0 no?

hmm I thought the X470s cannot do the PCIe 4

Headshot wrote: »
    hmm I thought the X470s cannot do the PCIe 4

Might have gotten one of those pseudo compatibility updates, updated your BIOS recently? Either way that seems high for Gen 3X4 but a bit lower than expected for a top end gen 4.

• Advertisement

Nvidia GTX 1660 Super review

So, it's the new sub-250 leader, essentially making the 1660 & 1660 Ti obsolete - but those 2 are still on the market.
    Also there seems to be a temperature/noise issue with Anandtech's review samples.

Advertisement