Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm not gonna bother showing you more data.

That's because there is none. You're objectively incorrect. Trying to claim a single 120 on an AIO can spin less and therefore be quieter than a triple 120 air set up is objectively nonsense. You also fail to understand the no-spin feature. No AIO's have it, but plenty of air cooled cards have it.

On top of that we still have the issues of failure and the temperature and amount of case flow when using AIO's, details you somehow forgot to refer to :pac:

And it's not just 'me'. Many many people prefer the similar temps, cheaper cost and more peace of mind that air cooling provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PostWoke wrote: »
    That's because there is none. You're objectively incorrect. Trying to claim a single 120 on an AIO can spin less and therefore be quieter than a triple 120 air set up is objectively nonsense. You also fail to understand the no-spin feature. No AIO's have it, but plenty of air cooled cards have it.

On top of that we still have the issues of failure and the temperature and amount of case flow when using AIO's, details you somehow forgot to refer to :pac:

And it's not just 'me'. Many many people prefer the similar temps, cheaper cost and more peace of mind that air cooling provides.

OK gonna bite one last time:
    on GPU.

Not CPU.

On GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

.G. wrote: »
    MSI Mystic light is what I used to set the colour of my 2080ti. Worked without issue. It and afterburner are all I installed from MSI.

Which version of Mystic Light are you using? I tried version 3 and just get "the platform does not support this application". The download link
    https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download
    shows only Dragon Centre supports RTX cards.

On GPU.

You think CPU fans have no spin features? Can you detect why even the notion of that is insane? What did you think I meant by 'triple 120 setup'?

You're not following at all I'm afraid.

Blown away that you interpreted that I was talking about cpu's, honestly.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Venom wrote: »
    Which version of Mystic Light are you using? I tried version 3 and just get "the platform does not support this application". The download link
    https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download
    shows only Dragon Centre supports RTX cards.

I literally only downloaded it over the weekend because I wanted to change colour, had it on normal RGB until then so I assume its the latest. I'll check.

EDIT:- version 3.0.0.66

EDIT 2: I didn't even spot that it only says 10 series card support but it works with my 20 series so happy out.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    I literally only downloaded it over the weekend because I wanted to change colour, had it on normal RGB until then so I assume its the latest. I'll check.

EDIT:- version 3.0.0.66

EDIT 2: I didn't even spot that it only says 10 series card support but it works with my 20 series so happy out.

I've tried both 3.0.0.66 and 3.0.0.33 with my 2070 super and get the same "the platform does not support this application" crap. It just seems crazy that you need different software bundles depending on which chip from the same overall architecture you have, when the cooler hardware which houses the RGB element looks to be exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,971 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what 2080 TI card would you recommend.?

I'm looking at the

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING

I'm now looking at the following card:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming

Cant really find any decent reviews on it though.

What's strange it's cheaper than the regular EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm now looking at the following card:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming

Cant really find any decent reviews on it though.

What's strange it's cheaper than the regular EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING?

It's got a 1-3 month delivery time.

The Inno3D iChill (240mm radiator) is available from OCUK right now for £1250:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-ichill-black-hybrid-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-074-in.html

Or the regular EVGA hybrid.

TBH the Inno3D card is the better buy since it has a larger rad, and at this price point the cards are built like tanks so you're unlikely to get a lemon.

It's got a 1-3 month delivery time.

The Inno3D iChill (240mm radiator) is available from OCUK right now for £1250:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-ichill-black-hybrid-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-074-in.html

Or the regular EVGA hybrid.

TBH the Inno3D card is the better buy since it has a larger rad, and at this price point the cards are built like tanks so you're unlikely to get a lemon.

Ah damn I didnt spot that 1-3 months deliver time.

Ya that Inno3D doesnt look the best and I wanted a GPU with just a 120mm as I want to get an AIO cooler as well

AdoredTV on how AMD once again let Nvidia steal their thunder, this time with regards to Freesync monitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Inviere

Folks, any recommendations for wifi routers? I'm using the VM Hub 3 at the mo which is fairly poo. I wouldn't mind setting it in bridge mode and using a dedicated wifi router that'd give me a bit more performance...I'm a bit lost at what to look at though, the choices seem endless?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Venom wrote: »
    AdoredTV on how AMD once again let Nvidia steal their thunder, this time with regards to Freesync monitors.

That's a good video. I'm proud to say I am all red team now. I have been in the GPU front for some time but was lazy to upgrade my CPU/system.

The facts are out there from a good few years ago where Intel paid their way into peoples homes and that was the time AMD were competitive then AMD stagnated with bulldozer type chips which wasn't their fault. Sell a better product at a cheaper price and very few buying it which lead to small R&D money to develop better products. Intel with their deeper pockets were making massive amounts of money selling 4 core chips.

Finally AMD pull a rabbit out of hat with Ryzen and Intel are worried, who knows they may pull those tricks again by paying off companies to only sell their products. That 3 billion is a lot of money to put aside but small money to them.

Honestly I'm very happy with my all AMD system. I game at 4k 60Hz and it plays at ease.

That's a good video. I'm proud to say I am all red team now.

Yup. They're not the best performers (costing most of us what, 2-3fps?) but their competitors are just way too shady and proud of it. Not to mention the price gouging. It's gonna be AMD only for me for the foreseeable future. They're just better for the hobby tbh.

Bit odd we're still waiting on 5500 pricing though...
    Finally AMD pull a rabbit out of hat with Ryzen and Intel are worried, who knows they may pull those tricks again by paying off companies to only sell their products. That 3 billion is a lot of money to put aside but small money to them.

They already did allegedly, with server CPU's around the time of Ryzen first gen. Purchaser threw up some emails to the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Inviere

Inviere wrote: »
    Folks, any recommendations for wifi routers? I'm using the VM Hub 3 at the mo which is fairly poo. I wouldn't mind setting it in bridge mode and using a dedicated wifi router that'd give me a bit more performance...I'm a bit lost at what to look at though, the choices seem endless?

Any takers? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Tplink Archer C8 was popular when I was looking but that was a while ago.

PostWoke wrote: »

They already did allegedly, with server CPU's around the time of Ryzen first gen. Purchaser threw up some emails to the effect.

I'd 100% believe that tbh.

Inviere wrote: »
    Any takers? :o

I know nothing about them due to having extremely slow internet so an expensive router would be a total waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Has anyone had their GPU stop working after updating drivers ?

have an Asus 580 OC 4gb on a Bazooka b450 board with a 2600.

All runs perfectly until I update the display drivers then the GPU fans stop and there's no output.
    I'm not even sure how to go about fixing the problem since there's no APU to download the drivers separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Start in safe mode, it won't load the display driver. Uninstall the old driver. Use some software to properly remove it.

Get a fresh download of the latest driver. Reinstall it.

Guys how would you clone a M.2 SSD to another larger one with just one M.2 connection on the motherboard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

PCI Express M.2 adapter card jobbie?? Might work.

Guys how would you clone a M.2 SSD to another larger one with just one M.2 connection on the motherboard?

Fresh install is best. Transfer files to external USB HD to transfer to new installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id do a fresh install aswell,windows installs quick enough these days if on an SSD that i dont really see the point in cloning unless you absolutely need some data saved that you cant backup anywhere else for some reason.

Nothing like a fresh install.

This popped up in my Twitter feed and worth sharing I reckon.

EHKfZjWW4AUsMdD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you a drug lord? I notice you're itching to buy outrageously priced hardware what seems like moments after blowing major cash on similarly outrageously priced hardware

Homelander wrote: »
    Are you a drug lord? I notice you're itching to buy outrageously priced hardware what seems like moments after blowing major cash on similarly outrageously priced hardware

I'd say his response to that is his avatar. :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd say his response to that is his avatar. :pac:

damn right.

When you work hard, why can't you spend on yourself. It does help that the computer is also my work computer too lol

I'm seriously running of hard drive space and I don't want to get a sata hard drive so this suits me perfectly

Advertisement