Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yea it's a bit annoying. My thinking is if it shipped from UK it would be here quicker. 2 days now and it still hasn't left France.

A friend of a friend recently bought a 9900K on Amazon.co.uk and it was shipped from Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Inviere

A friend of a friend recently bought a 9900K on Amazon.co.uk and it was shipped from Canada.

Jaysus, what happens with customs in that case??

• Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

mp3guy wrote: »
    Well my XG438Q finally arrived but the no free lunch is BGR subpixel ordering. It is fairly distracting and like the reviewer said you can only do so much with ClearType Tuner.

So my solution is buying one of these so I can flip the display 180 degrees and get RGB ordering.

Aaaand the arm didn't work despite being in spec. Also discovered a dead pixel. RMA time. I don't think I'll get another one of these screens though, image quality really poor for text and the VA smearing is a tad too strong. Back to the monitor drawing board.

• Advertisement

Personally i think all those ROG monitors are overhyped. You can get much better displays for cheaper.

Personally i think all those ROG monitors are overhyped. You can get much better displays for cheaper.

I think this one in particular was a bad move. First display of its kind in that class (large size, 4K, high refresh). At the same time, displays like the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q get glowing reviews across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Just received a LGA2011 mounting kit from Noctua for a cooler I purchased in 2011 for free...not that's how you do customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

There's certainly an extra cost to the consumer for having the Asus name on a product compared to similar products on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

So I had a go with a VR system played beat saber and star wars. very impressive. Just cheacked my system specs, i can eassly get over 100 fps so looks like Vr is the next toy :D

amazing I really enjoyed it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

VR is one of those things I want to like, but it just takes up too much space & money.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    VR is one of those things I want to like, but it just takes up too much space & money.

I think you'd be surprised, You can barely swing a cat in my sitting room, my playable space was about meter wide by a meter once and a half once I put the guide lines down. I was on the Oculous quest and honestly even with a small room its phenomenal in terms of space. apparently watching me playing Beat saber is hilarious :pac:.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I think you'd be surprised, You can barely swing a cat in my sitting room, my playable space was about meter wide by a meter once and a half once I put the guide lines down. I was on the Oculous quest and honestly even with a small room its phenomenal in terms of space. apparently watching me playing Beat saber is hilarious :pac:.

PC is in the bedroom.
    Bed is 3 feet behind the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PC is in the bedroom.

What you need is a bed that folds into the wall!!

PC is in the bedroom.

There's a bunch of really great seated VR experiences. Land's End and Virtual Virtual Reality are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sold my rift ages ago,once the intial novelty wore off i found i didnt use it nearly enough to justify keeping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

EoinHef wrote: »
    Sold my rift ages ago,once the intial novelty wore off i found i didnt use it nearly enough to justify keeping it.

I am totally the same with a VIVE....cool at first but nothing there to keep me using it. Sold that before the massive price cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

VR is great for sim racing and aircraft sims, I have mine for that, not really arsed with anything outside of that. Waiting for a headset to arrive with much improved resolution so I can upgrade from my Rift.

At a reasonable price I might add, the vive's and index etc are too much for me for infrequent usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Inviere

Lone Echo was exceptional imo, VR needs a few more games like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Any tid-bits on 3000 series from NVIDIA?

I've been flip-flopping on a 3700x/2070S build, but NVIDIA's whole line-up is just so **** at the moment, I'm also trying to wait it out until a (hopefully) better value 3000 shows up. I haven't heard a peep though, which makes me think it's at least six months out.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »

I've been flip-flopping on a 3700x/2070S build, but NVIDIA's whole line-up is just so **** at the moment, I'm also trying to wait it out until a (hopefully) better value 3000 shows up. I haven't heard a peep though, which makes me think it's at least six months out.

Thoughts?

2070 Super released in July, and it's a barely cut-down 2080 for €550 vs the old card's €700+.
    And I'm happy to report the Founder's Edition is a good cooler.

RX 5700 XT can match it in only a few workloads, so unless they release a better card at Xmas, Nvidia have no reason to refresh again.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Thoughts?
    You're probably better off you buy now rather than waiting. It'll be next year before the 3000 stuff comes out at least I'd reckon.

I canceled my AMD Ryzen 9 3900X order some time ago due to stock levels and i'm still amazed that the CPU is still not readily available today....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »
    I canceled my AMD Ryzen 9 3900X order some time ago due to stock levels and i'm still amazed that the CPU is still not readily available today....

Very very popular (good value) and a smaller fab right? Low stocks is a great sign.

ED E wrote: »
    Very very popular (good value) and a smaller fab right? Low stocks is a great sign.

I may look at it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Coyler

Are they having trouble with Threadrippers or is it just marketing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Thoughts?

Maybe go for a 3700X/5700 build in order to wait.

What is it about fan control and asus boards being so bad. Turn on your computer it sounds like a 747 getting ready to take off.

I can't seem to maintain consistency with my fans, there either all or nothing any one else have this problem?

What is it about fan control and asus boards being so bad. Turn on your computer it sounds like a 747 getting ready to take off.

I can't seem to maintain consistency with my fans, there either all or nothing any one else have this problem?

Is there a Tuning option in the BIOS you can run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Yeah I had this complaint. There's a "ramp-up" time option in the BIOS for Maximum XI, but it was broken for a long time. I think the latest BIOS might have fixed it. I moved to Argus Monitor a while back for fans and never looked back, I recommend it highly.

Advertisement