Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hey, lads. Haven't been here in ages, but was hoping for a bit of info.

Was thinking of laptop ( I know, I know, not pc building ) and considering one of Dells. I remember a while ago, you could contact them and wrestle a better deal, then sticker price. Is it still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, looks like I've egg on my face.

The Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO has developed a nasty little whirring noise.
    I think it's from the pump, not sure if it's bad VRM regulation or a fault.

Back to Noctua I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Redfox25

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Back to Noctua I go.

As long as its not liquid in your rig you're grand.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    As long as its not liquid in your rig you're grand.

It's noisier than when first installed - not a good sign tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

RANT

I switched from MSI boards last year to an Asus(it was reviewed well)and OMFG I hate the software, it simply doesnt work!!!

Ez Updater is supposed to update everything it doesnt, I have to download Ai Suite 3 and run Ez Updater from within that, it still doesnt work.

BUT the worst part is AI Suite 3 controls the OC on my 9900k but every single time I open it...it forgets the settings and decides I want to MAX the **** out of the 9900k.....So I have reset ALL of the settings every single time I open that software.

Anyone ever upgraded/sidegraded because they literally hate the software, MSI was tops it simply worked :( I Miss MSI :(

ASUS make cracking monitors, the predator is a lovely screen, i give them that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Do enthusiasts really use software though rather than bios settings? I say enthusiast because judging from your other posts, you are definitely that. I hate OS software for processor control.

Back to Noctua I go.

Noctua installed.
    Noise is still there.
    It must be something else.

*edit*
    it's the left fan on the 2070 Super :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    RANT

I switched from MSI boards last year to an Asus(it was reviewed well)and OMFG I hate the software, it simply doesnt work!!!

Ez Updater is supposed to update everything it doesnt, I have to download Ai Suite 3 and run Ez Updater from within that, it still doesnt work.

BUT the worst part is AI Suite 3 controls the OC on my 9900k but every single time I open it...it forgets the settings and decides I want to MAX the **** out of the 9900k.....So I have reset ALL of the settings every single time I open that software.

Anyone ever upgraded/sidegraded because they literally hate the software, MSI was tops it simply worked :( I Miss MSI :(

I always use Asus boards, never had an issue. Have had loads of bios issues with MSI recently for Ryzen 3, you just never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

dreamers75 wrote: »
    RANT

I tried out AI Suite and all the other Asus software on my Maximus XI. Ended up getting rid of all of it, none of it is worth using. I do love the BIOS and the motherboard itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Noctua installed.
    Noise is still there.
    It must be something else.

*edit*
    it's the left fan on the 2070 Super :(

Thats some bad luck. What sort of warranty return do Nvidia do direct?

Been eyeing a reference 2070 S from them recently myself

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Thats some bad luck. What sort of warranty return do Nvidia do direct?

Been eyeing a reference 2070 S from them recently myself

I think it's standard 1-year, having trouble finding where to get RMA actually.

Between this and my monitor's DisplayPort breaking I'm not having a grand time of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I think it's standard 1-year, having trouble finding where to get RMA actually.

Between this and my monitor's DisplayPort breaking I'm not having a grand time of things.

Have you tried setting the fan speed manually on the gpu? Sometimes they have a rattle/buzz only at a particular rpm range. If that's the case, you can make a fan curve that just jumps over that range.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Have you tried setting the fan speed manually on the gpu? Sometimes they have a rattle/buzz only at a particular rpm range. If that's the case, you can make a fan curve that just jumps over that range.

I've set fans to 44% (up from 41% default) and it seems to be running smooth (if 1-2dB louder).

Must be the season for it. My AIO gave up after only two months. Goodbye Corsair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Goodbye AIO's, air is superior in every way. Apart from looks maybe.

BloodBath wrote: »

Umm I already confirmed it wasn't my AIO - I just misdiagnosed the problem! :pac:

BloodBath wrote: »

Not if you have an air restricted case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭mp3guy

2538ea03-9d15-4b68-89fa-c5f99f8f323a_1.8a29d0cf88517ba9881e157b2963fd6e.jpeg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Another one for the AIO side here. Yes under normal circumstances Big Air moves more heat for less cash, yes you can do a lot more with Big Water if you have the cash to splash and the patience to deal with the other kind of splash but a decent AIO can do wonders in certain niche applications. My old Sugo came with its own AIO because there literally wasn't enough space for a proper cooler beyond stock dimensions and even that had issues due to its position in that tiny mITX box, nor could I drill holes through my optical drive nor my PSU nor my GPU just to improve case airflow :p

AIOs can be very good at moving lots of heat very quickly from a warzone around the CPU socket to a place in a case where there is actual room for proper cooling. And on that note the only issue I ever had with the Silverstone AIO I had was that its many years of service cause too much dust to get stuck in dumb places in the rad until after many years it stopped cooling properly because the rad had basically turned into a solid brick of concrete with some metal bits sticking out - yay dusty old houses :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If it's air restricted for air it's gonna be for water too. I'm using an AIO atm still myself but will be going back to air for new parts soon.

• Advertisement

My new AIO arrived today. Installed and it's working like a charm. Keeping temps lower than the H100i Platinum that failed. It's a Deepcool Castle 240EX. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,055 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys how much would one get for a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB M2 NVMe SSD bought in January 2019

I don't need it any more as I've upgraded to 2Tb M.2 and plus I dont have any spare M.2 ports

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys how much would one get for a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB M2 NVMe SSD bought in January 2019

I don't need it any more as I've upgraded to 2Tb M.2 and plus I dont have any spare M.2 ports

Lets see, you can buy them new for around 120 quid. So put it up on adverts for 200 and then see if you can work out a trade for 50 quid and a 2001 Fiat Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'm toying with populating the 2nd M.2 slot on my motherboard with an NVMe drive exclusive for games. I ideally want 2TB.

It seems the general consensus is that the Intel 660p is probably the best one to go for. It's not the fastest of course, but it is one of the cheapest. 1.8GB/s vs 3.5GB/s read/write speeds isn't that important for games either.

Are there any others I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

2TB Adata XPG SX8200 PRO is a good price on CCL. I came to the conclusion that the small increase in cost was worth it for a better drive.

Also isn't there something about PCI lanes and running 2 NVME drives reducing bandwidth or sumtin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

OSI wrote: »
    If you have 2 high end NVMes on the same controller you won't be able to max them out (see my posts in another thread about RAID 0 Samsung 960s), as you'll hit the bandwidth limit but it's unlikely to be noticeable.

Does the same apply when using a SATA M.2 drive? I've flirted with adding a second M.2 to my build also.

With me, I'm on X570. I've one PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive using the dedicated 4 PCIe lanes from the CPU directly, so there's no issue maxing that.

The 2nd M.2 drive is connected to the Chipset. In my case it'll mean that I'll have a PCIe 3.0 M.2 drive and a 2TB SATA SSD sharing the 4 lanes from the CPU to the chipset.

This is with PCIe 4.0 though, so there shouldn't be restrictions maxing out both a PCIe 3.0 M.2 & SATA SSD hanging off the chipset to my knowledge.
    M00lers wrote: »
    Does the same apply when using a SATA M.2
    drive? I've flirted with adding a second M.2 to my build also.
    To my knowledge, SATA M.2 drives should only use one PCIe lane. Technically that's all they need from a speed perspective, but how the motherboards implement it is another matter.

M00lers wrote: »
    Does the same apply when using a SATA M.2 drive? I've flirted with adding a second M.2 to my build also.

No, as long as the slot is actually a sata slot.
    z0oT wrote: »
    To my knowledge, SATA M.2 drives should only use one PCIe lane. Technically that's all they need from a speed perspective, but how the motherboards implement it is another matter.

Chipset on a x570 is x4 pci-ex which is 7.88GB/s
    Sata 3 throughput is roughly 600MB/s(in theory) but in reality it's going to be around 500-550MB's at best.
    PCI-EX x4 drive in 3.0 mode is going to be rocking in at half the chipset, 3.94GB/s, again in theory. In practise you would have to spend serious money to get close to that.
    USB is at best 1.25GB's.
    1 gig Lan NIC is 125MB's.

So you would need to be putting serious throughput down the USB3.1/Sata6 and pci-ex 3.0 to hit the cap, assuming that traffic was even heading down to the CPU and elsewhere. If your transferring files from a USB drive to a sata drive, does that hit the CPU and back again or does the CPU just do a read, encapsulate what's needed and has the sender populate the packets directly across the chipset directly to the other device?

A bit more detail on what I was getting at:

A single SATA 3.0 connector consists of a transmit pair and a recieve pair. Both the transmit & receive operate at a datarate of 6Gbps, which gives you a max throughput of 600MB/s.

Each PCIe lane also consists of a single transmit and receive pair. The data rate of each pair is higher at 8Gbps for Gen3 or 16Gbps for Gen4. Then, 4 lanes of PCIe 4.0 should in theory give you 6.4GB/s maximum then unless I'm wrong. The fastest PCIe 4.0 SSDs give about 5GB/s currently.

In theory, for a single SATA connection, a single PCIe 3.0 lane is all that should be required since it can operate at 8Gbps which greater than the 6Gbps SATA 3.0 requires.

Does that mean that for an M.2 connector that supports NVMe drives and SATA drives that it still consumes 4 PCIe lanes in the case of a SATA drive even thought it wouldn't be required? I guess it probably does, as it comes down to how the motherboard is wired really.
    If your transferring files from a USB drive to a sata drive, does that hit the CPU and back again or does the CPU just do a read, encapsulate what's needed and has the sender populate the packets directly across the chipset directly to the other device?
    That's interesting. I'd be inclined to say that all the data wouldn't travel up to the CPU and down again for the whole transfer, but I don't know for sure, as I don't work in that area.

• Advertisement

z0oT wrote: »
    Does that mean that for an M.2 connector that supports NVMe drives and SATA drives that it still consumes 4 PCIe lanes in the case of a SATA drive even thought it wouldn't be required? I guess it probably does, as it comes down to how the motherboard is wired really.

Yes and no, your connection on a split NVME/sata m2 slot would be direct to the chipset. The chipset would auto negotiate with the drive, finding out what protocol/signalling to use. There are 4 lanes of bandwidth or a Sata6Gbps
    port. But even if it connects via Sata, you have only wasted the 4 pce-ex lanes between the port and the chipset, not the chipset and the CPU since
    each device connects to the chipset(for this scenario).

A device using 2/3rds the bandwidth of a lane, doesn't use a full lane. PCE-ex is just a communications bus and the chipset is a switch effectively. It will send whatever signalling it needs to send to the CPU in sequence over each lane. 4 packets go lane 1,2,3,4 and so on. Those packets could come from anything on the chipset. I'd assume it has some level of caching.

Advertisement