Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My 5700XT has mad temps drawing 200W+ how are these 300W+ cards coping?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Bigger and better coolers mainly.

The 5700 reported the junction temp as well which most of the older card's didn't show. This is hotter than the standard edge temp that's normally shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

BloodBath wrote: »
    Bigger and better coolers mainly.

The 5700 reported the junction temp as well which most of the older card's didn't show. This is hotter than the standard edge temp that's normally shown.

That's actually a question I had about these newer cards. Were these junction temps likely similar in previous gens? It bothers me seeing 80+ junction temps even in the highest quality AIB coolers :P I want to upgrade soon, and given I've an old 290X Vapor X, which is a great cooler, I'll be triggered by these numbers a bit lol.

Edit: Also, anyone spot any good deals on Amazon for tech for today? I grabbed a Sabrent 1TB PCI 4 NVME which I'm really happy about a few days ago already.

Most likely they were yes. AMD say the junction temp is safe up to 110c where it will start throttling so 80 is actually quite low.

Still feels bad coming from what we were used to but it was probably just as bad if not worse on older cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd a R9 290 a fair few years ago and ran 90 degrees so god knows how high the edge temp would have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Went ahead and built my system with that I have so far.

waiting on a R5 5600x from amazon.de and an MSI AIO from CCL, CPU arrives at the end of the month, so when I have that I'll put that and the AIO in.

Current system:

GameMax F15M Case (exact same case as Lian Li Lancool 215 with different fans and branding).
    Ryzen 5 3600
    MSI B550 Gaming Plus
    RTX 3070 FE*
    32 GB (8gb x4) DDR4 Patriot Viper Steel 3600mhz RAM
    512 GB Patriot Viper NVMe SSD
    1tb Crucial P2 Sata SSD
    1tb Toshiba 2.5" HDD I saved from an old laptop that has lots of data on it.

Looking forward to adding the 5600x and AIO sometime in December, hopefully!

*I had a 3080FE, also managed to nab a 3070FE which I actually wanted more, so moved the 3080 on to someone who needed it more than I did.
    I'm hoping to nab an RX 6800/XT now instead though, if I get either my 3070 FE will be going for what it cost me.
    Had the 6800XT in my cart on the AMD direct buy site today, clicked pay with paypal, confirmed payment method and address, clicked pay, and looped back to cart ad infinitum, sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Pictures for pictures sake.
    Red RGB settings because it's AMD and red is gamery and aggressive and cool.
    Or something.

Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0746H97SX/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Grabbed a pair as they were on sale to replace my 5 year old TP Link AV 500mbps pair. They did the job well, they get about 70mbps out of 500mbps Virgin connection (I'm upstairs and in the extension, so quite a ways away), though sometimes they did drop briefly, requiring me to plug/unplug the nearest one to get a new IP. May or may not get me more juice, we'll see. And hopefully better uptime.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gumbi wrote: »

Grabbed a pair as they were on sale to replace my 5 year old TP Link AV 500mbps pair. They did the job well, they get about 70mbps out of 500mbps Virgin connection (I'm upstairs and in the extension, so quite a ways away), though sometimes they did drop briefly, requiring me to plug/unplug the nearest one to get a new IP. May or may not get me more juice, we'll see. And hopefully better uptime.

I have the exact same model since 2 years.

I get about 140-180Mbps on Virgin 500 (according to fast.com) with the occasional drop during gaming sessions - can't say for certain if it's the plugs or the ISP/game servers tho.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have the exact same model since 2 years.

I get about 140-180Mbps on Virgin 500 (according to fast.com) with the occasional drop during gaming sessions - can't say for certain if it's the plugs or the ISP/game servers tho.

That sounds promising. Then again, it could just be that your plug setup is better, or you're simply closer to the router. Who knows. I think all the wiring was redone in my house when the extension was built, so it should be somewhat modern (~15 years old). Fingers crossed!

In other news, I just got what I think was an excellent deal on a 550 series motherboard - the MSI b550 pro. To my understanding, it's one of the best value boards that balances features and function (solid thermals, can handles plenty of power running through it without getting crazy hot like some lesser designs) with price.

Amazon UK is charging 138 pounds for it, and as expected that matches the euro price of the more competitive German retailers... But Amazon Germany are selling it for just 107 euro right now (plus a bit more cos we charge more VAT in uk/Ireland than germany).

I shipped it to my Parcel motel, 5.59 shipping made the total cost just 116 euro, plus 4 for parcel motel. Not a bad bargain I would say! Looking for ward to it. Going to preorder my 5600x on Scan tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Gumbi wrote: »

Thinly veiled 'I have a massive gaff' post :pac:

Or maybe I'm still living at home :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,664 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can someone explain how this works?

534853.PNG

One of my temperatures is sub-ambient (which is 18+ C) and one is sub zero (and +14 C is still sub-ambient).

Any good software for fan control? Asrock's utilities are broken, so I don't even know what fan is which - #6 seems like its having a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you try a different hardware monitoring software like HWInfo64. That sub temp is a fault and I never heard of the software you are using.

buildzoid has called Hardware Monitor trash for years - now you know why :pac:

Use HWinfo64.

GL850 finally shipped from Germany. Amazon warehouse deal with condition as very good for only €256.

Fingers crossed there's nothing majorly wrong with it. Description said there was a small blemish on the bottom. Hopefully the stand or bezel and not the panel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Best of luck with it!!

Definitely don't get to dis heartened like I did if there's a bit of IPS glow,ye it might stick out at the start but if its not to bad you really do stop noticing it at all.

Samsung G7 shipped with a Saturday delivery. New GPU next on the list to get the most out of the 240hz panel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Samsung G7 shipped with a Saturday delivery. New GPU next on the list to get the most out of the 240hz panel.

See you in 2022 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Link to where i started

Update2
    Shutdown PC, server and open window to allow ambient room temp to drop to 18. Leave server OFF
    Installed 4th cha fan to increase extraction - 200+120 intake, 120+100 extract, open 2x120x120 grill on the top, CPU fan blow up
    I still cannot manage to get either of two NVMe's bellow 49 on idle for 2-4 hours.
    On startup it shoots right from 37 and in 2 min its 50, both drives.
    Browser + outlook light use and we are in 55-59 on C drive
    Same time 860Evo 1TB (ex C) idle 19-21, even old spinners sit @22-26 idle
    Further more, all my user folders(Desk, Doc, Down, Pic...) sit on RAID array so any file operation in fact happens on different drive(s), C drive is just a "traffic lights".
    Am i "asking" too much?

After several mail message exchange with screenshots and other info Samsung requested RMA, even offer to take drive with label removed(i manage to remove it without render SN unreadable)

One faulty drive... OK, but two show same pattern... i don't know.

Will see what they will find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Link to where i started

Update2
    Shutdown PC, server and open window to allow ambient room temp to drop to 18. Leave server OFF
    Installed 4th cha fan to increase extraction - 200+120 intake, 120+100 extract, open 2x120x120 grill on the top, CPU fan blow up
    I still cannot manage to get either of two NVMe's bellow 49 on idle for 2-4 hours.
    On startup it shoots right from 37 and in 2 min its 50, both drives.
    Browser + outlook light use and we are in 55-59 on C drive
    Same time 860Evo 1TB (ex C) idle 19-21, even old spinners sit @22-26 idle
    Further more, all my user folders(Desk, Doc, Down, Pic...) sit on RAID array so any file operation in fact happens on different drive(s), C drive is just a "traffic lights".
    Am i "asking" too much?

After several mail message exchange with screenshots and other info Samsung requested RMA, even offer to take drive with label removed(i manage to remove it without render SN unreadable)

One faulty drive... OK, but two show same pattern... i don't know.

Will see what they will find.

Have you got the PCIe to m.2 adapter in a slot above or below the GPU? if you have a cpu with integrated graphics it might be worth popping the gpu out too and seeing if it's the gpu exhausting heat onto it maybe. Only other thing I could think of would be a dodgy adapter where the power being delivered by the PCIe slot to the adapter is causing the adapter itself to heat up

Have you got the PCIe to m.2 adapter in a slot above or below the GPU? if you have a cpu with integrated graphics it might be worth popping the gpu out too and seeing if it's the gpu exhausting heat onto it maybe.
    in this order:
    Open grill at the top
    FX8350 - no graphics, 31-35degree, fan blow up
    GPU slot1, fans "suck" from below
    C: slot2 right beneath. ~50
    E: slot3 right beneath. ~50
    empty PCI
    RAID controller slot4

Internal box temp ~25-27 on glass thermometer inside, sitting on RAID data ribbon, PC idling since morning, might try to fit elevated to slot2 level(cant see it change more then 2-3 deg)
    Gap of 80mm front-to-back between PCIe1 and PCIe4 - no obstructions (NVMe's sit here)

If Samsung will come back with "normal operational temp", i say these drives designated for Alaska market only

Missed PCIex1 - its covered by GPU fan unit

Board img:
    https://images.anandtech.com/doci/5714/Sabertooth%20Top.JPG

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This chap just arrived from ccl. I'm waiting on some monitor arms from Amazon before setting it up but I did have a look inside the box to make sure it wasn't a George Foreman grill they sent me. :pac:

535044.jpg

Only other thing I could think of would be a dodgy adapter where the power being delivered by the PCIe slot to the adapter is causing the adapter itself to heat up
    adapter
    Not saying no, but it would be TWO faulty adapters.

I could accept that there is compatibility issue that, PCIe Gen3 NVMe, fitted in PCIe Gen3 card, that sit in PCIe Gen2 board, but then again, it should be backwards compatible or would no work at all.

Manage to relocate thermometer tip to point at PCIe slot2 latch. ~inch away from board and ~inch away from card, if that make sense, still - 26 after ~60min

Sabrent Rocket 1TB just shipped from Amazon. Looking forward to putting it into action.

Now all I have to do is wait for a 5600x to be available and I'm laughing. Motherboard is already on the way from Germany.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Best of luck with it!!

Definitely don't get to dis heartened like I did if there's a bit of IPS glow,ye it might stick out at the start but if its not to bad you really do stop noticing it at all.

Thanks. I'm hoping it's not bad. I've seen some real bad cases with this model monitor. It is meant to settle down after a month or so of use though.

Excess pressure of the frame is meant to cause a lot of it. After using it for a while it should warm and relax and reduce the light leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

saga

Magician could just be wrong....

My main SSD is above my GPU, its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement

FYI to anyone looking for a keyboard, the Epomaker GK96 has 3 days left on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epomaker/epomaker-gk96s-96-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?ref=950ief

BuqZ2xp.png

N.B. the ABS keycaps are in pure black/pure white but have shine-through.
    If you want the black/white/orange scheme (like me) you need to select the PBT version (no shine-through).

Advertisement