Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Try_harder wrote: »
    Irish always so good at assimilation

Never was a username so apt for a post.

It's the same old thing with people like yourself - snappy "comebacks" but no actual counter-argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

why should they adapt to the culture and practices of the natives apart from abiding by the law of the land? and actually nobody is forcing us to adapt to their culture and practices at all.

and that is what makes us a step above those countries. we don't force people to "adapt" to any cultures or practices, we force them to simply abide by the law, and we don't use draconian penalties in the aim of enforcing.

no, it's not. it's just simple interference in things that are really a non-issue unless they are against the law or cause actual harm to society.

Look at the example I quoted/responded to, and let's assume it's true.

Now.. how can a group of people turning up and refusing to play in a mixed sport or shake hands with men but still expecting to play anyway be a positive or helpful attitude.

Our country, our rules - simple. I'm rapidly losing patience for the "bend over backwards for everyone else and screw the natives or their concerns" attitude from the advocates of this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What makes you think that?

Where did I say it was easy?

Which brings me to the priority based allocation I mentioned.
    The Gardai.
    And there is no priority based allocation for anyone that isn’t a refugee it seems. They’ll help with hap. That’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Look at the example I quoted/responded to, and let's assume it's true.

Now.. how can a group of people turning up and refusing to play in a mixed sport or shake hands with men but still expecting to play anyway be a positive or helpful attitude.

it's neither, but ultimately it's their choice, and if the relevant club are willing to accommodate them then so be it. it's not an issue where there needs to be rules or laws.
    Our country, our rules - simple.

except quite rightly, there are no rules on issues like the one above and nor should there be, nor has anyone put forward any argument as to why there should be . what would supposibly happen in "their countries" isn't a valid argument in my view.
    I'm rapidly losing patience for the "bend over backwards for everyone else and screw the natives or their concerns" attitude from the advocates of this stuff.

if this was all happening, you would have a point. however i'm not seeing how the natives are being screwed, or how we are "bending over backwards" for people, rather accommodating them within the systems rules and laws of the country. i find that if there are actual genuine concerns that they are listened to and we do have procedures in place for people to raise concerns.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

why should they adapt to the culture and practices of the natives apart from abiding by the law of the land?
    when in Rome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

Gatling wrote: »
    By whom were they vetted and how deep did said vetting go exactly.

We've seen vetting done on 18+ years olds in the UK but somehow they decided grown men in their 20's 30's who in turn claimed to be children and accepted as such

Yes I have seen a report in one of the papers recently where the students objected to and elderly "Student" sitting in with the class.....

As for who did the vetting for the Irish Syrians, check out this link:
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/paris-terror-attacks/migrants-accepted-by-ireland-to-be-vetted-in-advance-34206998.html

I am sure that there are more articles out there about the vetting process, if you want to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

when in Rome

an argument that could be used to justify people visiting countries who cary out draconian actions being forced to take part in such actions if it was to be taken to it's natural conclusion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

This is a valid point and a significant issue. If you come here - as a refugee or migrant - part of the deal is (or should be!) that you adapt to life in your new host country and to the culture and practises of the natives .. NOT the other way around! If they don't like that then back where they came from, or off to another country more in-line with their expectations.

This is our country and you can be damned sure if an Irish person rocked up in theirs, they'd be expected to adopt the local norms rapidly, and face some pretty severe and draconian penalties if they didn't.

Yet somehow, expecting the same from the new arrivals is "racist" :rolleyes:

Obviously you've been devastatingly affected by the Muslim female invasion of the Irish racket ball scene. My condolences.
    The Gardai.

You'd have to be talking to a pretty new relationship with no kids involved.

And there is no priority based allocation for anyone that isn’t a refugee it seems. They’ll help with hap. That’s it.

There is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

It's the same old thing with people like yourself - snappy "comebacks" but no actual counter-argument.

What counter argument against assimilation - in what way? All play the Gah?

when in Rome

That’s a reductive comment

• Advertisement

I have two Syrian refugee families on my street that the UN paid for - local howyas up in arms, I asked why was their need greater than refugees- look after our own- these were born with one hand out and the other in the till!

Why should someone have right by accident of where they were born?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hope they get on well. Easy to bang a keyboard and give out about this joke of a country but the fact you're on a laptop or smartphone doing it shows you're not really that badly off. Once they're vetted, legitimate, appreciative and just want to have a normal war-free life, they're fine by me and I'd welcome these families.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I hope they get on well. Easy to bang a keyboard and give out about this joke of a country but the fact you're on a laptop or smartphone doing it shows you're not really that badly off. Once they're vetted, legitimate, appreciative and just want to have a normal war-free life, they're fine by me and I'd welcome these families.

A better response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wasn't he the virtue signaller who created the thread on Christmas Day thanking all the hard working migrants for working that day.
    Poor quality posts/quips and meant to put him on the ignore list then, but now is as good as ever.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wasn't he the virtue signaller who created the thread on Christmas Day thanking all the hard working migrants for working that day.
    Poor quality posts/quips and meant to put him on the ignore list then, but now is as good as ever.

Do - I dont want xenophobics reading my posts

I worked the last three Christmas Days and have to work nights on New Year's Eve this time around. I demand a thread.

I worked the last three Christmas Days and have to work nights on New Year's Eve this time around. I demand a thread.

Get the lads to make one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And you should get a thread, but it will be inclusive.
    I will thank you and migrants alike.

Get the lads to make one

The Syrian families?

• Advertisement

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

tretorn wrote: »
    There are thousands of radicalised Muslims making their way back from warzones and it will be impossible to identify them. Most grew up in western Europe and they will disperse all over Europe trying to sneak back in. They will have received training in warzone areas and will be capable of causing mass terrorism, the authorities are aware of the danger but cant protect us, life in Europe as we know it has changed forever. These people, mostly youngish males, hate us and hate our way of life and no amount of blood spilt will satisfy them.
    Its utterly grim and depressing.
    Im involved in a local sports club and Muslim women arrived covered head to toe to play racket sports. They arrive to play in mixed tournaments but dont want to play with men, they refuse to shake mens hands and in our culture this is an insult. Why are we facilitating this nonsense, if you dont want to participate in a mixed activity then stay at home, simple as that.

Is this in Ireland? Yes, what the fcuk are they doing in a country and society they have no interest in integrating into

The Syrian families?

Weren't they collectable squirrels for girls?

road_high wrote: »
    Is this in Ireland? Yes, what the fcuk are they doing in a country and society they have no interest in integrating into

Winding you guys up by the looks of things, how many radicalised mooslums would you say there is in ireland now ted 1,000,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have two Syrian refugee families on my street that the UN paid for - local howyas up in arms, I asked why was their need greater than refugees- look after our own- these were born with one hand out and the other in the till!

Considering that Clonmore house is heaving and the women and children up there have no washing facilities and are standing out at circle k on the Arden road in the middle of winter waiting to use the laundry services that are more often than not on the blink, I can understand why the “local howyas” are up in arms. The refugees should be subject to the same protocol in regards to housing.

I did thank all essential service workers on Xmas Day tbf - but it doesn't suit the narrative!

No Fats! No Fems, No Asians!

The Syrian families?
    Weren't they collectable squirrels for girls?

For a supposed virtue signaller you're pretty damn sexist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

It amazes me how utterly disgusting some people's views on this topic are considering the history of emigration from Ireland.

Considering that Clonmore house is heaving and the women and children up there have no washing facilities and are standing out at circle k on the Arden road in the middle of winter waiting to use the laundry services that are more often than not on the blink, I can understand why the “local howyas” are up in arms. The refugees should be subject to the same protocol in regards to housing.

Get offaly Co Co to sort it. UN paid for the refugee houses.

I would still say a war refugee's need is greater than a local how that got up the duff by Mick the slick in the Bridge House....

Two how had a row on my street, Another two lads had to be broken up by the Gardai for a drug deal gone sour. Syrian refugees? Not a peep!

Are you sure the wans at Circle K weren't on the game?

• Advertisement

For a supposed virtue signaller you're pretty damn sexist!

I like to throw the frothy mouth gammons a bone!!! The SJW is sexist, he only fcuks men!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement