Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

mgn wrote: »
    As a matter of fact London was bombed on a regular basis while i was there.
    Are you English by the way with the term mighty Paddy. And yes i did work hard and proud of that fact.

In all the bombing that was carried out during "The Troubles", here in Ireland and in Britain, would not equate 1 month ( and maybe a lot less ) than what was carried out in Syria.Just check out the statistics on google, how many killed, injured and displaced since the war started in 2011....and it's still going on, if not quite to the same extent. The majority of Syrians now basically want peace and some kind of life after 7 years of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Over the years Ireland has been taking in refugees, how have they contributed to society ? Realistically what are the pros and cons of them coming here ? One thing is probably for sure, they will be claiming benefits for years and years to come because of this reason and that, maybe poor english stopping them from getting a job or other social reasons. This is a given really due to the idea that they are thrown into a country that they don't yet understand.

Graces7 wrote: »
    As these are families with children, probably yes.

Maybe read the full news article?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1227/1019182-syria-refugees/

They are as soccer mad as any other Country.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Over the years Ireland has been taking in refugees, how have they contributed to society ? Realistically what are the pros and cons of them coming here ? One thing is probably for sure, they will be claiming benefits for years and years to come because of this reason and that, maybe poor english stopping them from getting a job or other social reasons. This is a given really due to the idea that they are thrown into a country that they don't yet understand.

According to the virtue signalers they add an amazing diversity of culture- none of which is in anyway quantifiable but it makes them feel wonderful and morally superior which is the main thing

The Syrians are a very friendly hospitable people, and very quick to learn and adapt. I am sure that out of all the different Countries we have taken refugees from, Syrians would be the nearest thing to being "IRISH" that you will find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I bet they will be less of a leech on the system than many of our own Irish living on long term welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

jmreire wrote: »
    The Syrians are a very friendly hospitable people, and very quick to learn and adapt. I am sure that out of all the different Countries we have taken refugees from, Syrians would be the nearest thing to being "IRISH" that you will find.

Ya they love the crack those Syrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I bet they will be less of a leech on the system than many of our own Irish living on long term welfare

I hate this attitude, the stupid lazy irish and all that!

What makes you so sure theyll be hard work law abiding citizens? We dont even know who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Bookies would never give you odds on that. They see what comes through their doors every day.
    I hate this attitude, the stupid lazy irish and all that!

What makes you so sure theyll be hard work law abiding citizens? We dont even know who they are

We do have our fair share.

That second paragraph is a bit Trump-y. They could be rapists!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Telling that as far as I have read, no one seems to care about the numbers of very vulnerable children in these refugee families.

Children who have seen and endured things no child should ever be exposed to. Who are coming to a green and quiet land for peace.

Let them come, as we welcome the Chernobyl children . Give them space to heal and grow in a good place and they will show us so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Another week with an anti direct provision centre article in the mainstream media, but once again no alternative housing solution is suggested. Yes the DP system isn’t great but protection applications are being processed much faster now and and lengthy time spent in the centers is as a result of costly legal challenges.

If we are not to use the DP system the government would likely need to rent apartments/houses at a much greater cost, so the question needs to be asked where will the money be taken from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Personally I consider Syrians one of the most worthy groups to be granted refugee status in Ireland. I'm all for having a better system which rejects bogus claims quickly and follows through on rapid deportment where someones application fails. However, Syria is a war torn country and peoples lives are genuinely at risk there. Hopefully someday these people will be able to rebuild their lives back in their homeland but until then I wish them the best of luck and hope that they are welcomed by my fellow Roscommon people and all services which can be provided to assist in their integration is made available.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

22 families isn't a lot
    It is if your ability to count goes "One, Two, Three, Too many".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

pawrick wrote: »
    Personally I consider Syrians one of the most worthy groups to be granted refugee status in Ireland.

I think Syrians are cool in general. And I am saying this because in the country I've emigrated from (continental Europe), the majority in Arab community were Syrians or Lebanese. Guess ppl I know about were migrants from years ago, and not refugees.
    PS: their first lady is an interesting character too (http://www.internationalaffairs.org.au/australianoutlook/vogue-civil-war-rise-fall-asma-al-assad/)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Graces7 wrote: »
    Telling that as far as I have read, no one seems to care about the numbers of very vulnerable children in these refugee families.

Children who have seen and endured things no child should ever be exposed to. Who are coming to a green and quiet land for peace.

Let them come, as we welcome the Chernobyl children . Give them space to heal and grow in a good place and they will show us so much

That's a lovely romanticised idealistic view

By all means we should give temporary refuge to such genuine cases, but when it's safe to return home, that's where they should go.

We have plenty of our own children who've seen and endured things no child should be exposed to, and who deserve the same chance (even more so) to a better life and opportunities.

Charity begins at home, and while I've no issue with helping those in war-ton countries (bearing in mind we give hundreds of millions of Euro every year in foreign aid), it should be in a sustainable manner, and never at the expense of our own needs (which are many and long standing) at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Contribute much to homelessness/child welfare in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's a lovely romanticised idealistic view

By all means we should give temporary refuge to such genuine cases, but when it's safe to return home, that's where they should go.

We have plenty of our own children who've seen and endured things no child should be exposed to, and who deserve the same chance (even more so) to a better life and opportunities.

Charity begins at home, and while I've no issue with helping those in war-ton countries (bearing in mind we give hundreds of millions of Euro every year in foreign aid), it should be in a sustainable manner, and never at the expense of our own needs (which are many and long standing) at home.

What is it exactly about the current refugee / asylum seeker process that bothers you? Is that we are bringing in too many? Putting them in the wrong places? Giving them too much / too little?

A lot of people complain about this but I see litlle in the way of constructive critcism. The social services in this country deal with refugees and irish families through different services. It's not as if irish families are being booted off housing lists to make way for refugees.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

toyotafan wrote: »
    I dont like muslim and most of them are. Rape, killed would be a problem when they came. I could see from Germany. Dont know what to do if this happened in our lovely country. Many Irish people dont have house but these people will have "permanent housing" as a funny sound. I met a family in Galway, I think from Syria. They were living in a hotel and got money from Irish govermemt for one year while waiting for their papers. The man said, they would have a Stamp 4 residence permit.

Where did u learn english?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

MadYaker wrote: »
    What is it exactly about the current refugee / asylum seeker process that bothers you? Is that we are bringing in too many? Putting them in the wrong places? Giving them too much / too little?

A lot of people complain about this but I see litlle in the way of constructive critcism. The social services in this country deal with refugees and irish families through different services. It's not as if irish families are being booted off housing lists to make way for refugees.

Where do you think the money for the 6000 in direct provision comes from? And the money to house them n give social welfare when they leave dp?
    A magic money tree, or out of government spending?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

road_high wrote: »
    So open the floodgates, don’t bother with vetting or scrutiny?
    The problem has been that there’s been waves of other economic migrants (invariably men) from Africa and the middle east, zilch to do with Syrian conflict, mixed in with genuine refugees. The nations of Europe cannot simply take in all these from an economic and social standpoint. If it had just been the Syrians then we could have coped and helped more practically.
    What we can’t do is take in economic migrants from all and sundry

the 22 families this thread is discussing were vetted. Take your anti African issues to another thread perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Where did u learn english?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MadYaker wrote: »

to be fair irish people are being " booted off housing lists" in a way. Refugees are not irish therefore can live anywhere here initially. People from west Wicklow for example, are being offered alternative accommodation in east Wicklow (if thir landlord sells up)and if you look at a map that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Nope - the people looking for approval here the most are the ones saying ‘fnck the refugees’.

While the people looking for approval of their virtuous ways are not willing to open to their own doors to refugees. Sure you ok with refugees once it doesnt effect you, and if/once it does Im sure you will want everyone with agree and listen to you :rolleyes:

enricoh wrote: »
    Where do you think the money for the 6000 in direct provision comes from? And the money to house them n give social welfare when they leave dp?
    A magic money tree, or out of government spending?

Money for Refugees comes out of EU refugee fund- cant spend it on anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

jmreire wrote: »
    As I have said earlier, most will return home when the conditions are right. Certainly, a % will remain, but they are different in the sense that they were displaced by war, not economic necessity. People driven out by economic conditions, will not return home.
    If it takes a long time before Syria returns to anything resembling normality, then of course some of these refugees will put down roots, and remain. By the time that happens, they will be well integrated

How can you state this with such certainty? Also can I ask about your statements that all the Syrian families come from Lebanese camps and the vetting procedures, is this information in the public domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Try_harder wrote: »

Where does the money in the EU refugee fund come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Try_harder wrote: »

And who pays into the EU? Hint. It all comes back on the taxpayers. The EU doesn't give money without taking it off someone first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I have to laugh at some of the posts at the beginning of this thread... "they will return to their own country when its safe"

What planet are you living on? You think these people are going to give up a cushy life in a developed country where they are given free housing and money and then return to a third world s***h*** of a country? yeah right

and lets not forget how well these "refugees" integrate with countries they're moving too.
    take a look at France, Germany and England then let us know if you want that in Ireland?

and another thing, how many of the refugees are fighting age men?
    Wouldn't it make sense to only accept women and children in a situation like this? (and by children i mean under 15 years old) and leave the men at home to fight for and rebuild their country?

Where does the money in the EU refugee fund come from?

Eu countries but that is a requirement non negotiable

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    And who pays into the EU? Hint. It all comes back on the taxpayers. The EU doesn't give money without taking it off someone first.

But it takes it regardless-sunk cost

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement