Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

McGiver wrote: »
    Total bollocks. War is over - you mean Asad with the help of the Russians are near a total victory? Which left hundreds of thousands civilians dead, the country razed to the ground and totally destroyed - materially, politically, socially and economically. Millions internally displaced and millions fled the country.

Nobody sane will return to this country if Asad achieves total victory.

The country was in a decent state when Assad did have total control. There weren't many Syrian refugees floating about back then. I was even watching an episode of Top Gear the other day from 2010. Clarkson and Co whizzing around Raqqa, Aleppo, Damascus and Palmyra. Then a year or two later the Islamists tried to take over.

Syria needs a strong leader that can hold the game together. The chap is only 50, so he can rule over for another 20-30 years. He's the glue. Like Saddam and Gaddafi were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Are any of them any good at soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well forgive me for not caring about these people from war torn countries.

We need to fix our own country first. We need to house all our homeless and give our hardworking low and middle income earners a decent life.

Then we can look at being generous and helpful to those people but not until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

For years the rich gulf states, Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc refused to take the syrian refugees..... However only recently they decided to accept some of them over a 5 year plan. Why for so long did they refuse to take them? Arab nations refusing to help other arab nations sort of thing? It's amsuing isnt it?
    With all those nutters running chaos in the middle east chopping peoples fckn heads off, the other arab countries don't want anything to do with it. They want nothing to do with eachother... So that is why the syrians ended up in europe over the past several years instead of in the hands of their wonderful welcoming neighbours. Persistant questioning from the UN twisted the UAE to take a U turn and start accepting some of the Syrians. It's only now that they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

mgn wrote: »
    I see a lot of the welcoming type on here as usual.Bet there not from county that has become a dumping ground from them.

Are you a robot?

• Advertisement

Yes.And when we emigrated we earned what we got.No free houses and dole in my day anyways.

Were you actively being bombed when you emigrated and showed the world what a mighty paddy you are? Sure who would need the dole? Just stick an auld anti aa battery on the lawn.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well forgive me for not caring about these people from war torn countries.

We need to fix our own country first. We need to house all our homeless and give our hardworking low and middle income earners a decent life.

Then we can look at being generous and helpful to those people but not until then.

Shove a few homeless in your gaff you utter spoofer.

You spout the same old tired ****e here for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

22 Irish families are taken off the council list and given a forever home in Syria. Exchange programme.

I would gladly pax extra tax for this. Syrian family on my street - lovely

Forever home howyas- loud and obnoxious - and very work shy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Shove a few homeless in your gaff you utter spoofer.
    You spout the same old tired ****e here for years.
    You shouldn't post when you are drunk.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You shouldn't post when you are drunk.

Haha. 😀 Brave defender of middle ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It's not even subtle any more the auld racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiAu_OJ4MHfAhVFSxoKHaHvBXkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fr%2FLibertarian%2FRh3WFLP&psig=AOvVaw3tMbMfXFVMtgApdIlbK8nW&ust=1546059876445526

Seems to be the case here.

"[attempt to post virtue signalling cartoon]"

Whats with mods editing posts/threads if they dont agree with them. wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiAu_OJ4MHfAhVFSxoKHaHvBXkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fr%2FLibertarian%2FRh3WFLP&psig=AOvVaw3tMbMfXFVMtgApdIlbK8nW&ust=1546059876445526

[attempt to post virtue signaling cartoon]

Seems to be the case here.
    Nope - the people looking for approval here the most are the ones saying ‘fnck the refugees’.

Have them live in your back yard then.
    Say 22 families are 200 people.There are about 5 million people in Ireland. So that’s about one 25,000th of the population. So it should be -would you give up one 25000th of your back garden?

Personally yes I would. One 25,000th of my garden is about a square foot. I already surrendered that much space for a phone pole. Didn’t bother me at all.

For years the rich gulf states, Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc refused to take the syrian refugees..... However only recently they decided to accept some of them over a 5 year plan. Why for so long did they refuse to take them? Arab nations refusing to help other arab nations sort of thing? It's amsuing isnt it?
    With all those nutters running chaos in the middle east chopping peoples fckn heads off, the other arab countries don't want anything to do with it. They want nothing to do with eachother... So that is why the syrians ended up in europe over the past several years instead of in the hands of their wonderful welcoming neighbours. Persistant questioning from the UN twisted the UAE to take a U turn and start accepting some of the Syrians. It's only now that they are doing it.
    Dubai and Abu Dhabi are cities, not states.

Nobody in their right mind refers to the UAE as where the bar for ethical behavior should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

They should be on their way back to Syria now, Donny is pulling the troops out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This tired old argument again...

The Irish who went out, went out to work or they starved. No welfare state to support them in those days

It was also a very different era, when illiterate but good at manual labour lads and girls could find work to support themselves. This isn't the case anymore in a country that is hugely dependent on the service/knowledge economy, and I think we've reached saturation point for coffee shops at this stage.

No one has any issue with genuine refugees (as I defined above), but those are the minority of those flooding Europe in the last few years. It's those welfare tourists and economic migrants that offer nothing except a further drain on already stretched and insufficient resources that people have an issue with.

Hope that helps.

Were the "undocumented" *cough, cough* Irish in danger of starving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Were you actively being bombed when you emigrated and showed the world what a mighty paddy you are? Sure who would need the dole? Just stick an auld anti aa battery on the lawn.

As a matter of fact London was bombed on a regular basis while i was there.
    Are you English by the way with the term mighty Paddy. And yes i did work hard and proud of that fact.

Dumping ground- such a loaded phrase! Ireland is not a dumping ground for anything

Ireland always had social housing huge projects in the 60s

As a matter of fact London was bombed on a regular basis while i was there.
    Are you English by the way with the term mighty Paddy. And yes i did work hard and proud of that fact.

As regularly as Syria? Doubt that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭McGiver

Assad never killed anyone via chemical weapons. Those refugees probably voted for him. I'm pretty sure they're glad Hilary didn't win other wise they would be sold as slaves instead of being relocated.

Tin foil hats on. Did you get that from Russia Today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭McGiver

For years the rich gulf states, Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc refused to take the syrian refugees..... However only recently they decided to accept some of them over a 5 year plan. Why for so long did they refuse to take them? Arab nations refusing to help other arab nations sort of thing? It's amsuing isnt it? With all those nutters running chaos in the middle east chopping peoples fckn heads off, the other arab countries don't want anything to do with it. They want nothing to do with eachother... So that is why the syrians ended up in europe over the past several years instead of in the hands of their wonderful welcoming neighbours. Persistant questioning from the UN twisted the UAE to take a U turn and start accepting some of the Syrians. It's only now that they are doing it.

Fair enough re Gulf States, I agree it's despicable. They are very racist by the way, an Arab is not Arab, the gulf ones are superior apparently.

Nevertheless, let's not forget Lebanon and Jordan (Arab countries) took the millions from Syria, and Turkey (non Arab country) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ive no problem with displaced people from war torn Syria being transported from refugee camps and given safe haven in Ireland. It's the right thing to do.

On the other hand, the substantial flow of people we saw (mysteriously coinciding with the Celtic tiger) from West Africa through one or more safe countries having paid their own airfares on the way to Ireland and applying for asylum....yeah. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

old_aussie wrote: »

Fun fact, George Bush Jnr gave his infamous 'Mission Accomplished' speech back in 2003. 15 years later that war is still going on.

Just because an army pulls out of a country, doesn't mean the war has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Try_harder wrote: »
    Dumping ground- such a loaded phrase! Ireland is not a dumping ground for anything

Ireland always had social housing huge projects in the 60s

Where do you live?.You got one syrian family living on your street and you think the are great.Get 10 families on that street and come back here in 10 years time and tell us where your living.You haven't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

old_aussie wrote: »
    And Donny pulling out is the main the reason that they will not want to go back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The money used to support and house these families would go further in a neighboring country and there wouldn’t such a big cultural shift for them. It’s not really about helping as many people as you can it’s about virtue signaling and being seen to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

**** Syria.

Were great at looking after every problem but our own in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The money used to support and house these families would go further in a neighboring country and there wouldn’t such a big cultural shift for them. It’s not really about helping as many people as you can it’s about virtue signaling and being seen to do something.

Amazing how they don’t want to go to their much closer in every way arab brethren isn’t it? The likes of Saudi Arabia etc are infinitely wealthier than little old obscurely located Ireland and the rest of Europe. Yet we are the turnips that are supposed to take them in? No wonder there’s uproar all over the continent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ratracer wrote: »
    Are any of them any good at soccer?

As these are families with children, probably yes.

Maybe read the full news article?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1227/1019182-syria-refugees/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement