Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Try_harder wrote: »
    Money for Refugees comes out of EU refugee fund- cant spend it on anything else

Which we are net contributors to. Good to see EU funding being spent so judiciously on people that don’t even come from the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

then they arrive in Wicklow town , where the only hotel is closed down so they can live there , nice ending eh, [for the hotel owner maybe]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

2019 wrote: »
    These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.
    I understand this, but there are women living in abusive households, beaten and raped and mentally tortured who can’t/won’t leave because they’ll be put into a refuge or a B and B. I have absolutely no problem helping refugees but not at the cost to families and women already living their own nightmare in a country they’re natural citizens of, and have paid and contributed by working in the state. If our own country wasn’t going through it’s own crisis right now I could understand people who’ve never been in this country before being handed keys to a forever house as they’re getting off the plane, but given the situation Ireland finds itself in right now, that is absolutely ludacris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Intersting fact: The average IQ in Syria is 83.

Now maybe I heard wrong, but I understand that those with an IQ below 83 cannot do productive work.

This means that, unless the Syrians who come to Ireland are exceptional, about half of those who settle here Syria cannot contribute to any kind of industry even if they try.

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I understand this, but there are women living in abusive households, beaten and raped and mentally tortured who can’t/won’t leave because they’ll be put into a refuge or a B and B. I have absolutely no problem helping refugees but not at the cost to families and women already living their own nightmare in a country they’re natural citizens of, and have paid and contributed by working in the state. If our own country wasn’t going through it’s own crisis right now I could understand people who’ve never been in this country before being handed keys to a forever house as they’re getting off the plane, but given the situation Ireland finds itself in right now, that is absolutely ludacris.

What has domestic violence got to do with refugees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I am going to build a robot that works as an artist. It will automatically proceed to draw the prophet Mohammed if it detects people arriving into Ireland from Syria. I'll have to do some trickery in terms of geolocating and data input etc but I think its manageable.
    The aim of the device is to filter out all the Muslim lunatics from coming into the country. The drawing will only occur once they start packing their bags with the intention of coming to Ireland. If you're Syrian and this doesn't bother you, the drawing of the prophet will happen but you don't care therefore you are more than welcome in my country. If you are Syrian and this drawing causes you to be offended and maybe want to come in and shoot up my artist robot making factory you probably won't come anyway because it will be you that's doing the drawing albeit via my medium robot. Problem sorted.

What has domestic violence got to do with refugees?

Well, captain not so obvious, on the first page of the thread the point was made refugees should be given priority housing over natural citizens because of their situation. I pointed out that there are women and children living in their own hell who can’t leave because there is nowhere for them to go. By all means take in the refugees but they should be subject to the same waiting criteria as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Whest Side Story musical written all over this if only people from the Whest could spell or pronounce words without an added H. ;)

Well, captain not so obvious, on the first page of the thread the point was made refugees should be given priority housing over natural citizens because of their situation. I pointed out that there are women and children living in their own hell who can’t leave because there is nowhere for them to go. By all means take in the refugees but they should be subject to the same waiting criteria as everyone else.

You said there are women and children living in houses being beaten and raped because they can't get out. They can just get a barring order from the courts and have the abuser kicked out. Even if you exclude that, the allocation systems have priority based lists. There's certainly an argument to be made against the priority given to refugees above certain others but women and children being raped and beaten don't seem to be among the groups being passed over.

Now maybe I heard wrong, but I understand that those with an IQ below 83 cannot do productive work.

This means that, unless the Syrians who come to Ireland are exceptional, about half of those who settle here Syria cannot contribute to any kind of industry even if they try.

Similar to the argument made against race based affirmative action in the States on college admissions.

• Advertisement

You said there are women and children living in houses being beaten and raped because they can't get out. They can just get a barring order from the courts and have the abuser kicked out. Even if you exclude that, the allocation systems have priority based lists. There's certainly an argument to be made against the priority given to refugees above certain others but women and children being raped and beaten don't seem to be among the groups being passed over.
    you can’t have a barring order on a house he owns. You’re saying that it’s easy for a woman in a home she doesn’t own to pack her sh1t and leave? It’s not. She’d be straight into a refuge. She’s be entitled to HAP of course, but it would cover perhaps 50% of the rent landlords are charging now. Where do you go with nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Plenty of work that requires no intelligence.
    They are being provided refuge from their clear and genuine plight. Not auditioning for something.
    Average Irish IQ is 92. Worldwide average is 100. Japanese average is 107. Irish average is 9 points greater than Syrian, 8 points lesser than worldwide average, 15 points lesser than Japanese.
    Plenty of Irish people with high IQs. Brain drain might be responsible for low average - historically a lot of people have left the country to find better jobs and education.
    Very high IQs tend not to correlate with distinguished academic achievement or careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

decky1 wrote: »
    then they arrive in Wicklow town , where the only hotel is closed down so they can live there , nice ending eh, [for the hotel owner maybe]

i doubt it was closed down specifically so that refugees could live there, more likely it wasn't profitible and the choice was to close it and leave it to deteriorate or take government money in exchange for taking in refugees and make money and keep the building usable.
    perhapse if people supported the hotel by going to stay there then perhapse the owner wouldn't have felt the need to take in refugees to make money.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Folks

Very simple

If you are opposed to these refugee schemes do some research and vote for parties/politicians who are opposed to such schemes and will scrap them

In my estimation, ALL of the major Irish parties are pro mass immigration.

So maybe look at some on the margins and vote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

When Merkel lost her reason, her Federal Minister for Labour and Social Affairs, Andrea Nahles, said that ~10% of the influx into Germany would be short-terrm capable of work or training.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭jmreire

How can you state this with such certainty? Also can I ask about your statements that all the Syrian families come from Lebanese camps and the vetting procedures, is this information in the public domain?
    When it was first agreed that Ireland would take their quota of 4'000 Syrian Refugees, there were a lot of questions asked, especially if they would be turning up ad-hoc, like in Germany and other EU Countries, but we were assured that all the refugees Ireland would be getting would be from Refugee camp's only, and thoroughly vetted before hand. This was one of the reasons that we are getting them in batches ( bear in mind that Germany etc, have taken more than a million in this time frame ) You can check this out on Google.
    As for them returning to Syria? Yes I believe that the majority will do so. They had a pretty good life there before the war, and for sure, would like to go back. I have some Syrian friends, and that's what they tell me anyway, but I can well believe it. A lot of them are finding Life very hard in Germany..while they don't have to worry about bombs falling and bullets flying, for them it's an unimaginable life-change, culture + language etc. Syrian Families are very close knit, but the present circumstances mean that they are being split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i doubt it was closed down specifically so that refugees could live there, more likely it wasn't profitible and the choice was to close it and leave it to deteriorate or take government money in exchange for taking in refugees and make money and keep the building usable.
    perhapse if people supported the hotel by going to stay there then perhapse the owner wouldn't have felt the need to take in refugees to make money.

It was closed down because the receiver found it unviable as a commercial property

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭jmreire

Folks

Very simple

If you are opposed to these refugee schemes do some research and vote for parties/politicians who are opposed to such schemes and will scrap them

In my estimation, ALL of the major Irish parties are pro mass immigration.

So maybe look at some on the margins and vote accordingly.

For a start, these Refugee's from Syria, are part of a batch of 4'000 Ireland agreed to take as being their Quota,as decided by the EU and Irish Government. This is a compulsory deal. For all the other Refugees in the Country, who arrive by Air, Land and Sea,the problem is a legal one....the entire process is a series of appeal after appeal after appeal. Until this changes, nothing will change. So unless in the next General Election there will be politicians campaigning on a " Fast Track for Refugee Status" platform, nothing is liable to change. But they are too politically correct to do that. Plus, for the present politicians here in Ireland..the biggest worry is that an "Alternative for Ireland" party might emerge..as has happened in several EU Countries ( especially Germany) and the influx of refugees can be linked directly to that, as can Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think to avoid a trump/brexit style rebellion we need to look at our immigration criteria and make sure its being adhered to for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

jmreire wrote: »
    For a start, these Refugee's from Syria, are part of a batch of 4'000 Ireland agreed to take as being their Quota,as decided by the EU and Irish Government. This is a compulsory deal. For all the other Refugees in the Country, who arrive by Air, Land and Sea,the problem is a legal one....the entire process is a series of appeal after appeal after appeal. Until this changes, nothing will change. So unless in the next General Election there will be politicians campaigning on a " Fast Track for Refugee Status" platform, nothing is liable to change. But they are too politically correct to do that. Plus, for the present politicians here in Ireland..the biggest worry is that an "Alternative for Ireland" party might emerge..as has happened in several EU Countries ( especially Germany) and the influx of refugees can be linked directly to that, as can Brexit.

Do a bit of research on the smaller parties. Some of them would scrap the asylum system completely, IF they were voted in and got the reins of power.

Probably won’t happen though. It’ll be more of the same from ff fg sf Labour greens etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

the 22 families this thread is discussing were vetted.

By whom were they vetted and how deep did said vetting go exactly.

We've seen vetting done on 18+ years olds in the UK but somehow they decided grown men in their 20's 30's who in turn claimed to be children and accepted as such

you can’t have a barring order on a house he owns.

What makes you think that?

You’re saying that it’s easy for a woman in a home she doesn’t own to pack her sh1t and leave? It’s not.

Where did I say it was easy?

She’d be straight into a refuge. She’s be entitled to HAP of course, but it would cover perhaps 50% of the rent landlords are charging now. Where do you go with nothing?

Which brings me to the priority based allocation I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

There are thousands of radicalised Muslims making their way back from warzones and it will be impossible to identify them. Most grew up in western Europe and they will disperse all over Europe trying to sneak back in. They will have received training in warzone areas and will be capable of causing mass terrorism, the authorities are aware of the danger but cant protect us, life in Europe as we know it has changed forever. These people, mostly youngish males, hate us and hate our way of life and no amount of blood spilt will satisfy them.
    Its utterly grim and depressing.
    Im involved in a local sports club and Muslim women arrived covered head to toe to play racket sports. They arrive to play in mixed tournaments but dont want to play with men, they refuse to shake mens hands and in our culture this is an insult. Why are we facilitating this nonsense, if you dont want to participate in a mixed activity then stay at home, simple as that.

It was closed down because the receiver found it unviable as a commercial property

that's not surprising tbh. at least this way the building will be used for something rather then being left to deteriorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I love how the issues isn't refugees from Syria, it's "economic migrants pretending to be from Syria".

Unless they're from Syria, in which case the issue isn't them being from Syria, it's "single males travelling alone, sure it can't be that dangerous at all".

Unless they bring their families, at which point it becomes "f*ck the Syrians, we shouldn't help anyone from there".

It would have been better to have just had the courage to be honest from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tretorn wrote: »
    Im involved in a local sports club and Muslim women arrived covered head to toe to play racket sports. They arrive to play in mixed tournaments but dont want to play with men, they refuse to shake mens hands and in our culture this is an insult. Why are we facilitating this nonsense, if you dont want to participate in a mixed activity then stay at home, simple as that.

This is a valid point and a significant issue. If you come here - as a refugee or migrant - part of the deal is (or should be!) that you adapt to life in your new host country and to the culture and practises of the natives .. NOT the other way around! If they don't like that then back where they came from, or off to another country more in-line with their expectations.

This is our country and you can be damned sure if an Irish person rocked up in theirs, they'd be expected to adopt the local norms rapidly, and face some pretty severe and draconian penalties if they didn't.

Yet somehow, expecting the same from the new arrivals is "racist" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Billy86 wrote: »
    I love how the issues isn't refugees from Syria, it's "economic migrants pretending to be from Syria".

Unless they're from Syria, in which case the issue isn't them being from Syria, it's "single males travelling alone, sure it can't be that dangerous at all".

Unless they bring their families, at which point it becomes "f*ck the Syrians, we shouldn't help anyone from there".

It would have been better to have just had the courage to be honest from the outset.

The hood... sorry... mask would slip then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This is a valid point and a significant issue. If you come here - as a refugee or migrant - part of the deal is (or should be!) that you adapt to life in your new host country and to the culture and practises of the natives .. NOT the other way around! If they don't like that then back where they came from, or off to another country more in-line with their expectations.

This is our country and you can be damned sure if an Irish person rocked up in theirs, they'd be expected to adopt the local norms rapidly, and face some pretty severe and draconian penalties if they didn't.

Yet somehow, expecting the same from the new arrivals is "racist" :rolleyes:

Irish always so good at assimilation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

tretorn wrote: »
    There are thousands of radicalised Muslims making their way back from warzones and it will be impossible to identify them. Most grew up in western Europe and they will disperse all over Europe trying to sneak back in. They will have received training in warzone areas and will be capable of causing mass terrorism, the authorities are aware of the danger but cant protect us, life in Europe as we know it has changed forever. These people, mostly youngish males, hate us and hate our way of life and no amount of blood spilt will satisfy them.
    Its utterly grim and depressing.

You're easily insulted so :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

why should they adapt to the culture and practices of the natives apart from abiding by the law of the land? and actually nobody is forcing us to adapt to their culture and practices at all.

and that is what makes us a step above those countries. we don't force people to "adapt" to any cultures or practices, we force them to simply abide by the law, and we don't use draconian penalties in the aim of enforcing.
    Yet somehow, expecting the same from the new arrivals is "racist"

no, it's not. it's just simple interference in things that are really a non-issue unless they are against the law or cause actual harm to society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement