Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 232 SAT. DEC. 29, JONES VS GUSTAFSSON 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

A rematch or a fight Vs Holm are the only fights to make for Nunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Nunes sub
    Rogan has danas hand up his rectum controlling what he says and his shameful defence of jon jones this week was cringeworthy. I love Rogan and his podcast but he has let himself down with the whole steroid debacle.

Listening to Rogan's arrogant, self-righteous babble is only going to be more sickening after seeing his utter hypocrisy and wilful ignorance when it came to Jones leading up to this fight. He'll either spew pure whataboutery or completely ignore the issue when it comes to the drugs if he pisses clean, and if he pisses dirty he'll claim he always knew he was cheating. I honestly can't stand the man outside of his in-fight commentary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Does anyone actually think they'll legit test Jones after the fight knowing the likely outcome?

I have huge doubts he'll be tested at all tbh. Dana always finds a way around these things....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cyborg sub
    Valentina is lacking a proper contender at 125, if they’re stuck they could always give her another rematch with Nunes at 135, giving another woman a shot at becoming a double champ. We already know she can be competitive against Nunes.

Only other opponent that makes sense right now is Holm at 145.

Neither one of those really excite me, this fight was the pinnacle of women’s MMA and there won’t be a women’s fight as important as this for a long time yet I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Gus sub
    Disgusting end to a poor year for the ufc and looking forward to 2019 there isnt much going for them either, no one to face jones,the heavyweight champion is aging and cant beat the light heavyweight champion and will cain Velasquez be as good as as he was?

Woodley doesnt sell ppv and dana cant find someone to beat him.

Conor's shine is gone big time and its very possible this could be his last year in the sport if he loses again.

The women's divisions are on lockdown with nunes.

Khabib v gsp would be great fight but wont happen and the ufc shouldnt ve relying on legends to come back. I just dont see a good year for ufc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

martyos121 wrote: »
    It’s like being in the twilight zone, the few days between Jones winning a fight and being caught by USADA.

Let’s enjoy this time.

You don't think they'd cover it up?

Sure that patsy Novitsky already admitted on the rogan podcast that they never told california that Jones pissed hot before they agreed to licensing last nights event.

His piss will no doubt be red hot, but they won't do a damn thing about it.

They need a lhw champ. It's the marquee division. The company was built on lhw.

Its just a shame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Cyborg pts
    You don't think they'd cover it up?

Sure that patsy Novitsky already admitted on the rogan podcast that they never told california that Jones pissed hot before they agreed to licensing last nights event.

His piss will no doubt be red hot, but they won't do a damn thing about it.

They need a lhw champ. It's the marquee division. The company was built on lhw.

Its just a shame though.

He done a VADA test yesterday, they have no affiliation to the UFC. If he's hot we will know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cyborg pts
    Man, some cracking fights. That Nunes demolition was legendary, wow! Fair play to Cyborg showing up to the presser hiding behind a pillow and then smiling about it.

Jones is so good, that gnp was absolutely vicious. I hope DC doesn't bite but I know it will be gnawing at him.

Sickened for Cat. So unlucky to be finished like thatbut she didn't look like she was gonna do much against Megan in there anyway.

Sliiiiick finish by Hall, please retire BJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great night of fighting. Some great finishes too.

Is there a more overrated sportsman on the planet than BJ Penn?

Cyborg pts
    The Nal wrote: »

I don't like bj but he's one of the greats and far from overrated, he just should have retired and stayed retired ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Nunes pts
    Great card delighted for Amanda I was jumping off the couch watching it. Seems like a great person and a great champ. Sad to see Mendez retire. I'm sorry I didn't the it off before the picojones fight. Disgusting watching him with the belt.

A poor 2018 overall for the ufc. I think msg 2017 was peak ufc for me.

Cyborg pts
    Just rewatching in work now, Petr Yan is an animal. His transitions we're class with relentless pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Took a while to pick my jaw up off the floor after Nunes won. Really did not expect that result and definitely not in that fashion.

Gutted for BJ. I agree that he should have stayed retired, but I thought Hall was a good matchup for him, stylistically. But holy crap, it's hard to defend against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying Wayne Rooney is useless because he plays for DC United. Nobody rates them anymore but obviously in their pomp they were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I remember when Condit lost to Lawler by split decision, he seemed to want to walk away after that fight if I recall. He's never looked the same since doing that.
    Incredible and surprising finish by Nunes. To go up in weight and knockout Cyborg is incredible, she is one of those fighters you don't expect to see get dropped like that. Nunes got in her face and didn't get scared when she got hit.
    Didn't watch the main event. Once I knew the result I didn't bother. Felt the UFC had embarrassed itself enough & didn't want to listen to the narrative they've pushed all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Great card last night. The Nunes win was indeed jaw dropping. Absolutely incredible performance and such a likeable person.

I'm indifferent towards Jones, I like him and I dislike him all at the same time but I had to smile a little with his dig towards DC. Personally I just can't believe USADA, who have many more clients than the UFC, would put their reputation in the line for the sake of one fighter. I also can't believe someone would knowingly take the same banned substance despite being caught for it twice already. I marginally give Jones the benefit of doubt. He looked in total control last night however, never in any trouble.

Yan looks like an incredible prospect too, seen him twice now and he's been entertaining both times.

dulux99 wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying Wayne Rooney is useless because he plays for DC United. Nobody rates them anymore but obviously in their pomp they were fantastic.

Very briefly yeah. Overrated doesn't mean shít. It means overrated. He seems to be a great influence on fighters and a great coach but as a fighter I think he was overrated. Matt Hughes and maybe Sanchez aside he lost to anyone decent hes ever faced. Machida, GSP, Edgar, Diaz, McDonald etc.

Anyway regardless he should've packed it in years ago.

Dana is going to go with DC vs Lesnar as opposed to DC/Jones 3 isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Very briefly yeah. Overrated doesn't mean shít. It means overrated. He seems to be a great influence on fighters and a great coach but as a fighter I think he was overrated. Matt Hughes and maybe Sanchez aside he lost to anyone decent hes ever faced. Machida, GSP, Edgar, Diaz, McDonald etc.

Anyway regardless he should've packed it in years ago.

Of the list of people you mention, only Edgar didn't have a massive size advantage over him, its harsh to hold those losses over him.

In his prime he was as good an example of a complete mixed martial artist as there was at that time. Obviously the game has moved on in that respect, and the calibre of athletes competing continues to improve, but I think anyone who rated Penn near the top of the p4p list in the late noughties wasn't over-rating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Nunes sub

he could only beat what was there at the time he was champ in fairness, dropped a split to gsp which tells you how good he was and beat hughes in his prime when he was dominating everybody.

he's only embarrassing himself these days sadly, not sure why Dana is
    even letting him fight for them.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Of the list of people you mention, only Edgar didn't have a massive size advantage over him, its harsh to hold those losses over him.

In his prime he was as good an example of a complete mixed martial artist as there was at that time. Obviously the game has moved on in that respect, and the calibre of athletes competing continues to improve, but I think anyone who rated Penn near the top of the p4p list in the late noughties wasn't over-rating him.
    mailburner wrote: »
    he could only beat what was there at the time he was champ in fairness, dropped a split to gsp which tells you how good he was and beat hughes in his prime when he was dominating everybody.

he's only embarrassing himself these days sadly, not sure why Dana is
    even letting him fight for them.

Fair enough points yeah. I guess its the "one of the greatest ever" chat that gets me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nunes pts
    Fair enough points yeah. I guess its the "one of the greatest ever" chat that gets me.

He is one of the greatest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Cyborg pts
    Delighted for Nunes and much respect to to Cyborg, shes dealing with the loss very well unlike a former womens champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That'll be because he is.
    Can't be expecting him to be as good at forty as he was in his prime.

Nunes pts
    So what do we do with Jones now. Having a look at the lhw rankings I can't see anyone there beating him. DC at hw doesn't excite me. I'd prefer to see DC Vs leaner so dc can get paid or dc vs stripe for a rematch. I think we should let yoel take the picojuice and fight Jones.

Jones would butcher York. Teep, teep, teep to the midsection endlessly.

Yoel*

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Cyborg pts
    dashoonage wrote: »
    So what do we do with Jones now. Having a look at the lhw rankings I can't see anyone there beating him. DC at hw doesn't excite me. I'd prefer to see DC Vs leaner so dc can get paid or dc vs stripe for a rematch. I think we should let yoel take the picojuice and fight Jones.

Or we could walk him into a bull pen and let them have their way or send him to Helmand province. Both similar but favorable outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Very disappointed with Gus's performance. Looked like he had no gameplan to impose himself on Jones. After all this time, you'd think he would've been up for the fight. Stark comparison to DC, in his last fight to Jones, where he had very effective game plan and imo was bossing the fight until he got KO'd.

I'd like to see Jones fight Stipe or Overeem, think that could be an interesting match up. Don't see anyone at LHW being a challenge to him. Of course, he'll prob be suspended again before long.

Nunes was magnificent, was so pumped when she dropped Cyborg. Not a fan of hers at all, she's as bad as Jones imo with respect to her juicing. I wonder if the UFC will try and get Kayla Harrison to fight soon. I've read she's coming along pretty well so far, weight could be an issue tho.

Nunes pts
    Gus said he got injured early in the fight

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/12/alexander-gustafsson-injured-ufc-232-loss-credits-jon-jones

Kayla Harrison is fighting tomorrow night in PFL @155

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

dashoonage wrote: »
    Gus said he got injured early in the fight

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/12/alexander-gustafsson-injured-ufc-232-loss-credits-jon-jones

Kayla Harrison is fighting tomorrow night in PFL @155

Is it the knee to the balls he's on about?

Advertisement