Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

vladmydad wrote: »
    Without the racist, xenophobic accusations and all that crap, does anyone have any concerns about just how rapidly the Irish people are decreasing in Ireland ?
    It’s a very recent phenomenon and given that immigration into Ireland is ever increasing and that the birth rates of the “new” Irish are dramatically higher than natives. It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?
    Ideally though when people grow up here they will be Irish, so their parents might be from someplace else but they will speak with Irish accents and be culturally Irish - Ideally

If areas areghettoised and people don't want to integrate - that's another topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

vladmydad wrote: »
    Don’t the people make the place ?
    I mean if I went to Japan in 40 years and saw (hypothetically) 50% Nigerian , am I in Japan anymore ?

If they speak Japanese and have adapted to Japanese culture then yes ... you really are in Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

TomSweeney wrote: »
    If they speak Japanese and have adapted to Japanese culture then yes ... you really are in Japan

The Japanese attitude towards you might be a bit more nuanced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

And you felt entitled to fire out this rant based on some half remembered nonsense. Talk about not being arsed.

OP.

Did you exclude the traveller population from your statistic?

I believe the travellers constitute an additional 7 percent.

I don't know that you did omit this number.

However, if you did, and given that travellers are Irish then I'll be forced to consider your original post to contain a lie by omission.

If this is the case then you are a steaming sack of sht.

Please cite your statistic OP.

Because I smell horse sht.

Yes.

I did search.

Couldn't find the information.

Hence the word 'believe' and the questions in my post.

It is an openly speculative response, not a new thread offered as fact.

So is not held to the same standard.

Now do you have an actual point to make, or are you just going to clog the thread up with more pointless digressions?

If you're going to make a thread entirely centered on a 'shock' statistic, there's a burden of actually citing the stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

greencap wrote: »
    Yes.

I did search.

Now do you have an actual point to make, or are you just going to clog the thread up with more pointless digressions?

If you're going to make a thread entirely centered on a 'shock' statistic, there's a burden of actually citing the stat.

I agree. And my contribution was not a digression, but totally germane to this requirement. You should have cited facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I believe the travellers constitute an additional 7 percent.

Think that's '0.7'%, not actual '7.0%' (which would seem dramatically high).

2016 estimates:
    Irish 82.2%, Irish travelers 0.7%, other white 9.5%, Asian 2.1%, black 1.4%, other 1.5%, unspecified 2.6%

One interesting thing to note is that the Irish in the UK (with many decades, if not centuries of steady neighbourly migration) - have been overtaken by a country from the far-end of Europe (Romania), and all within a very short time span.

I agree. And my contribution was not a digression, but totally germane to this requirement. You should have cited facts.

I just told you, I tried.

I couldn't find them.

That's why I didn't say the number 'IS' in my post.

I said I believed the number to be 7%, and openly asked for confirmation.

What is your malfunction?

I just told you, I tried.

I couldn't find them.

That's why I didn't say the number 'IS' in my post.

I said I believed the number to be 7%, and openly asked for confirmation.

What is your malfunction?

Ten times less than yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

18% Non Native Irish isn't too bad. British citizens alone make up over 2% of that and Polish account for about 3%. The remaining C12% is broken down over almost 200 nationalities. A reasonable mix.

Think that's '0.7'%, not actual '7.0%' (which would seem dramatically high).

2016 estimates:
    Irish 82.2%, Irish travelers 0.7%, other white 9.5%, Asian 2.1%, black 1.4%, other 1.5%, unspecified 2.6%

One interesting thing to note is that the Irish in the UK (with many decades, if not centuries of steady neighbourly migration) - have been overtaken by a country from the far-end of Europe (Romania), and all within a very short time span.

Thank you, this has been covered already.

There's a few posts clogging up this thread now, which could have been avoided if the OP had just backed up his assertion.

• Advertisement

0.7 is ten times less than 7.0, which you didn't comprehend a minute ago.

Fast learner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I always felt Irish, and grew up raised Irish but the last 10 years I've identified as post cromwellian Anglo saxon planter. Always wondered as a kid why our land was flat and the Catholics had the hilly land.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Billy86 wrote: »
    We have the highest birth rate and lowest death rate in the EU, no?

Added to that, my girlfriend is Canadian. If we moved back to Dublin and had a kid, that kid would be an Irish native. This would also be true if my partner were Chinese, Nigerian, Indonesian, Brazilian etc, non white and the child was their colour of skin and not pasty white like mine.

Irelands birth rate is 'high' in europe because countries like italy and spain have such incredibly low birth rates that it will cripple the countries demographic distribution in not so long, irelands birth rate is low in world terms and will lead to great demographic problems in future, just at a slower rate than other euro nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yes.

I did search.

Its hardly shocking. The census has been out for years. Its not uncommon knowledge.

That other post somehow managed to put my name over that nonsense. It is their mistake not mine.

You're willfully ignorant at this stage.
    Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pretty sure they guy you are responding to did understand the difference between 0.7 and 7. In fact pointed it out.

Its hardly shocking. The census has been out for years. Its not uncommon knowledge.

Neither is a lot of stuff.

Unfortunately we don't all know the exact same things, automatically.

Or know things which are said to be true.

Which is why we use 'citation'.

That other post somehow managed to put my name over that nonsense. It is their mistake not mine.

Indeed it did. My apologies.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108888436&postcount=277

I was thrown by your post which hadn't put it into quote form...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108888307&postcount=270

The point about the sheer speed and size of Romanian migration (in the UK) is interesting indeed.

Romanian nationals living in the UK in 2017 (411,000) is a jump of 25% just on the previous year, and the largest increase for any country in a single year.

1m+ Polish
    350,000 Irish nationals
    346,000 Indians.

The freedom of movement for Romanians is much more recent, than say Poland who joined the EU way back in 2004.
    The Polish have been moving to the UK ever since the end of WW2, so have some historical connection, and are of positive influence.
    India & Ireland are both native English speakers, but the reducing Irish's influence to their only neighbours of the UK mightn't be good, in a post-brexit world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

It's in the category of countries with between 1 and 10 citizens living here. Possibly they came when Yugoslavia was a country, and have not felt the need to declare as Bosnian or whatever since.

I understand they can still identify as a Yugoslavian.

Surely they can't be travelling on an old Yugoslavian passport still - for travelling purposes would they have to take up citizenship of one of the other countries that emerged from the break-up of Yugoslavia?

Even for administrative purposes in Ireland would they not need citizenship of an actual country that exists?

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    I understand they can still identify as a Yugoslavian.

Surely they can't be travelling on an old Yugoslavian passport still - for travelling purposes would they have to take up citizenship of one of the other countries that emerged from the break-up of Yugoslavia?

Even for administrative purposes in Ireland would they not need citizenship of an actual country that exists?

It is fewer than 10 people, maybe as few as one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Look how bad all the Muslims are intergating

The point about the sheer speed and size of Romanian migration (in the UK) is interesting indeed.

Romanian nationals living in the UK in 2017 (411,000) is a jump of 25% just on the previous year, and the largest increase for any country in a single year.

1m+ Polish
    350,000 Irish nationals
    346,000 Indians.

The freedom of movement for Romanians is much more recent, than say Poland who joined the EU way back in 2004.
    The Polish have been moving to the UK ever since the end of WW2, so have some historical connection, and are of positive influence.
    India & Ireland are both native English speakers, but the reducing Irish's influence to their only neighbours of the UK mightn't be good, in a post-brexit world.

The "ethnic" group with the largest increase in recent censuses in the UK is Mixed Race. If someone has grandparents of four different nationalities/races marrying someone with four more and then producing offspring it gets complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

People falling for a another Putinbot dog-whistle thread. Are the mods asleep or are they all Putinbots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

My father was a good Northern Loyalist Presbyterian with a union jack passport. My mother is from tipp, but her Father was from France.

Does that make me 1/4 french, 1/2 British and a touch Irish. Or because I was born and bred here, am I 100% Irish?

A staff member of mine who is black, but born here to nigerian parents - is she Nigerian or Irish (she says 100% Irish and has a Leinster season ticket to prove it)? Her accent is Irish, she'd put most of us to shame with her fluency in the Irish language and is studying tourism to promote Ireland.

At the end of the day, we're all part of the same world.

My father was a good Northern Loyalist Presbyterian with a union jack passport. My mother is from tipp, but her Father was from France.

Does that make me 1/4 french, 1/2 British and a touch Irish. Or because I was born and bred here, am I 100% Irish?

A staff member of mine who is black, but born here to nigerian parents - is she Nigerian or Irish (she says 100% Irish and has a Leinster season ticket to prove it)? Her accent is Irish, she'd put most of us to shame with her fluency in the Irish language and is studying tourism to promote Ireland.

At the end of the day, we're all part of the same world.

Rubbish.

At the end of the day we all have to get up in the morning.

• Advertisement

The "ethnic" group with the largest increase in recent censuses in the UK is Mixed Race. If someone has grandparents of four different nationalities/races marrying someone with four more and then producing offspring it gets complicated.

You seem to confusing inward migration, with birth rates, easy mistake to make?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement