Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

vladmydad wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s going to take a horrible but totally foreseeable tragedy to happen before we take it seriously. One day we’ll turn on the news to see 7 or 8 people dead in Dublin and even then the lefty’s will make excuses.

Do you get worked up so much about road safety? Rather than potentially killing 7 or 8 people, 142 people have already died this year. Another 149 for the whole of 2017....I could go on.
    You really are an apologist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OK, hypothetical situation, you are in the council and have to allocate a house in an all Irish estate of 80% private owned houses. The two candidates are an Irish Traveler family with a horse tied up in the back or a Muslim family with the father a junior Doctor and the mother a part time checkout attendant who is always wearing a head scarf. Which do you think would fit in better?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Isn’t 1000 deaths fairly close to 0% as well. When would start to worry? At 1%? Or is that ok. What about 10%?

The point about terrorism to to kill few and terrorise many.
    Well when the risk is higher than other common risks would be the point to start worrying Franz, and 4 in 10 or a 100 million is no more likely than getting shot in Dublin as part of an organised crime feud, are you going to stop going to Dublin because of that?

Yes the point of terrorism is to terrorise and people exaggerating the risks completely out of proportion are only doing the terrorists job for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Unfortunately it’s going to take a horrible but totally foreseeable tragedy to happen before we take it seriously. One day we’ll turn on the news to see 7 or 8 people dead in Dublin and even then the lefty’s will make excuses.

Do you get worked up so much about road safety? Rather than potentially killing 7 or 8 people, 142 people have already died this year. Another 149 for the whole of 2017....I could go on.

Nope. I’m a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I would say I’m quite nationalist, I have a lot of non Irish colleagues & my girlfriend is not Irish and I love spending time abroad learning new cultures.

Absolutely love the multicultural society we have in Ireland as well as embracing our Irishness which makes us unique.

My question to every councellor etc is what is being done to ensure Ireland does not fall into the same trap as Germany, France & other countries currently under severe terrorist attacks/fear as a result of ‘careless’ immigration

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Can you clarify, do you want to ban Muslims from Ireland? Or what do you propose? I strongly suspect Muslims are only one excuse to justify your views btw. Doubt you'd be happy with immigration from Christian African countries either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Ah, I was waiting for the old 'Just wait until it happens here, you won't be so smug then' line. Didn't have to wait long, naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Would anyone be surprised to know that there are more American, French, German, Italian and Spanish people here, than Nigerians or Pakistanis? 2016 Census.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

But native refers to a Gaelic gene that is present throughout most of the last 12,500 years. The Irish people who carry this gene are what’s considered native. We are a race of people just as the Japanese and Chinese are. It’s ok to be proud of it, just as ancient tribes in Africa are proud. Stop this reflexive fear of any mention of ethnicity.

Just stop.

You obviously haven't a notion. And I, personally, take huge exception to history being used to promote some xenophobic agenda.

The Gaels didn't arrive until around 2,500 BCE.
    There is a 12th century work called Lebor Gabála Érenn (The Book of Invasions) which contains the origin myths/stories of the Gaels (Sythia to Egypt to Iberia to Ireland). It tells how the Gaels defeated the previous inhabitants of Ireland.

Ireland is an Island - it has no "native" population. What it has is a population consisting of the descendants of various immigrants - some of whom arrived over 10,000 years ago in the Stone Age and some of whom arrived far more recently.

The blood of the Irish contains Gael, Norse, Dane, Anglo, Saxon, Norman, Welsh, Pict, French, Basque.... English, Polish, Nigerian,... all depending on when people's ancestors arrived on this ISLAND.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A few deaths is a small price to pay for cultural enrichment

I'd be very curious to know what you actually know about irish culture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Lol all Irish politics is about leftism. FF FG SF labour all left wing , pro immigration, pro EU, socially liberal.

I guess when you’re extreme right wing then everything looks left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

stimpson wrote: »
    I don’t think you’re Irish at all, Vlad.

If you were, then you would realise that ALL Irish politics is about the Civil war. We have an openly gay, half Indian Taoiseach and the only reason people hate him is that he’s a Blueshirt.

Nobody cares where the immigrants are from as long as they take your side.

Haha, true! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Palmach wrote: »
    Well done you for your silly knee jerk reaction. One of the reasons migration does not discussed as much as it should is that birdbrains like you start this rubbish. Not discussing it leads to Brexit, the EDL, Le Pen Trump etc. If it happens here you really will be clutching your pearls.

I think Trump and brexit will look like a cute bear for what might be coming down the line in years to come. Realistically I think a worsening economic situation will lead to a further rise up and rejection of globalist views.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Without the racist, xenophobic accusations and all that crap, does anyone have any concerns about just how rapidly the Irish people are decreasing in Ireland ?
    It’s a very recent phenomenon and given that immigration into Ireland is ever increasing and that the birth rates of the “new” Irish are dramatically higher than natives. It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?

You dont really state what your concern is but I'm assume its related to vastly different cultures and religions becoming too influential. If that is the case then lets think about it for a minute..18% is a very small number of people. When you take out the all the immigrants from "Western Countries" similar to our own that number is even smaller. Take out those from Eastern EU countries and then you are left with a tiny number of immigrants that have a vastly different culture to our own.

Also take into account all the multinational companies in Ireland that serve the EU market. That growth happened pretty quickly too. They need to serve the EU market and therefore need people who speak multiple languages. That is going to bring a lot of French, Germans, Dutch, Spanish etc to Ireland and would contribute the the fast growth in non natives. So its not really much of a concern.

If you are concerned about Ireland becoming more diverse and losing our "distinct Irishness" then I would say go and try some Brazilian BBQ and you will change your mind. But seriously Irish people are great and all but there is more to life than just our culture and bit of diversity makes life more interesting.

Also the number of Irish people isn't decreasing...Irish people aren't ceasing to exist. There are just more people in Ireland not from here

stimpson wrote: »
    Lol all Irish politics is about leftism. FF FG SF labour all left wing , pro immigration, pro EU, socially liberal.

Atila the Hun ain’t got nothin on me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The OP was called out early and by page 2, I can see why

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/
    Country of origin of non-Irish nationals resident in Ireland classified by number of persons, 2016

Lots of yanks and brits

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The OP was called out early and by page 2, I can see why
    Victims of cultural enrichment have it coming ehh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The argument to pure genetics is only made by the left in fact, as a strawman argument that they claim the right makes.

[...]

They know, and we know, that that are the most racist class in the country. They know and we know that they have a lock on upper middle class jobs for upper middle class white Irish (RTE). . They know and we know they are the classes that largely supported the racist British empire.

But we also know we can’t say it.

And yet here you are.

Saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Would that not be a parents job?

Why shouldn't Irish be the parents job? Or Maths? Or Religion? Or History?

Are you saying education - which dictates that some subjects be mandatory - should only take care of the non-essential stuff?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

America is 98% non native.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Without the racist, xenophobic accusations and all that crap, does anyone have any concerns about just how rapidly the Irish people are decreasing in Ireland ?
    It’s a very recent phenomenon and given that immigration into Ireland is ever increasing and that the birth rates of the “new” Irish are dramatically higher than natives. It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?

I've only skipped over the thread but I haven't seen you say what your concerns are?

I don't have any concerns myself

so without the fear of being labeled this or that ( I may inwardly think it but I've no intention of handing out labels) could you briefly outline your concerns as I'm genuinely interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just stop.

You obviously haven't a notion. And I, personally, take huge exception to history being used to promote some xenophobic agenda.

The Gaels didn't arrive until around 2,500 BCE.
    There is a 12th century work called Lebor Gab enn (The Book of Invasions) which contains the origin myths/stories of the Gaels (Sythia to Egypt to Iberia to Ireland). It tells how the Gaels defeated the previous inhabitants of Ireland.

Ireland is an Island - it has no "native" population. What is has is a population consisting of the descents of various immigrants - some of whom arrived over 10,000 years ago in the Stone Age and some of whom arrived far more recently.

The blood of the Irish contains Gael, Norse, Dane, Anglo, Saxon, Norman, Welsh, Pict, French, Basque.... English, Polish, Nigerian,... all depending on when people's ancestors arrived on this ISLAND.

2,500 BC? Jaysus just blow ins, :rolleyes:

I've always found this sure-aren't-we-all-just-immigrants guff disingenuous, and the people who spout it usually know it is. Genetically us, the Scots and Welsh are some of the least diverse populations in Europe.

You can argue about whether this is good bad or indifferent but to pretend that the current influx is not unprecedented in its scale and speed? Dishonest in the extreme.

Bambi wrote: »
    2,500 BC? Jaysus just blow ins, :rolleyes:

I've always found this sure-aren't-we-all-just-immigrants guff disingenuous, and the people who spout it usually know it is. Genetically us, the Scots and Welsh are some of the least diverse populations in Europe.

You can argue about whether this is good bad or indifferent but to pretend that the current influx is not unprecedented in its scale and speed? Dishonest in the extreme.

The influx which came after the Ice Age was also unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

What's Native?

My daughter is only half Irish with me being Welsh. She's born and raised here.

Is the kid in her class that was born here and has a Dublin accent but Polish parents, is he Native?

I heard the Welsh are the closest in DNA terms to the original inhabitants of Britain before the various invasions and would it follow, as they are a celtic race they are probably the nearest to original Irish DNA?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

America is 98% non native.

Yeh. Not sure if that’s an argument for immigration though, from the point of view of the 2%. Their culture definitely changed.

Ireland’s immigration has been largely benign, although wages have probably been affected at the lower level and there’s been an increase of slum living and challenges to resources. We are probably amplifying the business cycle.

Despite the benign nature of recent immigration that doesn’t support a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A few deaths is a small price to pay for cultural enrichment

.... At least Thanos had an ethos.

And you started off be saying 'without sounding xenophobic...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The influx which came after the Ice Age was also unprecedented.

That's very true and and proves how flimsy that argument is, that you have to go back to the ****ing Ice Age.

You could have at least had a crack at using the Plantations as an example :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

My family came to Ulster during the 'Plantation' from Scotland before that from Norway.

Another not so great example immigration for the natives. Not entirely sure about those quotes marks either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement