Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

greencap wrote: »
    Whats to be concerned about as regards the secular westernized Europeans with high employment rates coming here?

Oh no, 9.5% of our population are from other European/Western countries, and are pretty much identical to us except for their funny accents. We're fuking doomed.

No, they aren't. Not by a million miles.

That doesn't matter much when you're working on a production line, but matters a great deal when you're in the hospitality industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There must be a huge amount of Brazilians in Ireland now, they seem to be the biggest minority in Dublin, every single language school is full of Brazilian students. Sizeable amounts of Mexicans and Bolivians also. They were really noticeable during the World Cup this summer and places like Dicey's and Living Room are thronged usually with Latina hotties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's as if we don't have enough junkies in Dublin city centre intimidating tourists but now the left want to add migrant gangs from Africa and the Middle East to the mix to further put tourists off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

No, they aren't. Not by a million miles.

That doesn't matter much when you're working on a production line, but matters a great deal when you're in the hospitality industry.

What?

lol.

I've worked with many Polish and Lithuanians.

More than a few of them were indistinguishable until they opened their gobs.

Of the current Polish guys I work with one looks like the typical proto-skanger, the other has a pure Dougal head on him.

Fuk sake. If a tourist is really so up their own hole that they can't tolerate an accent then do we really need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    This is why tourism will be hurt here at some stage. People come to hear the Irish accents as well. If all they see and hear are Africans or other non-Irish accents they'll end up saying "I should have just went to that Country instead."
    Many years ago, I worked in a well-known Kilkenny hotel.

It is very true to say that in particular American guests wanted the friendly interaction, the local knowledge of good pubs, live music, history etc and they loved that part of the experience. Nobody really comes to Ireland for what is after all very average architecture, lakes, mountains etc.

They would have, and I'm sure still do know the difference between a traditional Irish welcome and the rather more detached interaction they might get from a central European person working in an Irish hotel.

If you have a tourist industry which so often hangs it's hat on the 'cead mile failte' reputation, then first impressions count. Especially given the fleecing they get while they're here.
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Exactly globalisation is going to destroy tourism. What's the point on visiting a place if it's the same as every other
    place. Look at the crime carried out by these migrants I was in Italy recently and an Arab tried to rob my phone quickly left when I threatened to call the police as he'd probably be deported since Italy has taken an excellent no nonsense approach to immigration.

Also look at terrorist attacks I don't know about others but I'm not taking my chances going to the UK, Germany, France and Belgium at the moment with the current jihadist craze. However I'm sure Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and now Italy are all beneffitting from increased tourism due their common sense immigration approaches.
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's as if we don't have enough junkies in Dublin city centre intimidating tourists but now the left want to add migrant gangs from Africa and the Middle East to the mix to further put tourists off.

Scaremongering doesn't even work that great, when very clever people spend a lot of time concocting a story that might be someway plausible.

These post are not scaremongering they're simply too dumb to be put in that category,it might sound great in your mind but trust me everyone who reads it knows it's some stupid **** you just came up with.

take a step back for a minute and ask yourself who would actually read this shoit and have it a impact on their views

or
    you could take a step back look at your own personal lives and ask yourself have you ever been able change anyone's view on anything ever.

I doubt it.

• Advertisement

What?

lol.

I've worked with many Polish and Lithuanians.

More than a few of them were indistinguishable until they opened their gobs.

Of the current Polish guys I work with one looks like the typical proto-skanger, the other has a pure Dougal head on him.

I wasn't talking about how they look.

Get 100 of your Dougals onto the subject of the 'religion of peace', or Frau Merkel's open borders lunacy on immigration into Europe, and see how indistinguishable from you they are.
    Fuk sake. If a tourist is really so up their own hole that they can't tolerate an accent then do we really need them?

Again, nothing to do with intolerance of accent.

It is to do with the expectations that people have had based on the image of Ireland that has been sold to them. The land of a thousand welcomes is not always quite so.

You may not have a lot of sympathy for Irish-Americans who spent years and years saving for the trip of a lifetime to 'the old sod', but there it is. It has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

In Dublin my estimation is 20-25 percent at most Irish, the rest are foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The_Brood wrote: »
    In Dublin my estimation is 20-25 percent at most Irish, the rest are foreigners.
    That's nonsense........

It is to do with the expectations that people have had based on the image of Ireland that has been sold to them. The land of a thousand welcomes is not always quite so.

You may not have a lot of sympathy for Irish-Americans who spent years and years saving for the trip of a lifetime to 'the old sod', but there it is. It has happened.

Since Ireland is rarely like the stereotypes about the nation, our tourism should have been hit when people discovered we weren't the land of leprechauns. Ireland has changed socially to an extraordinary degree since the 90s. Tourism continues to thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I reckon at most it's 0.01% Irish. I think I was the only Irish person remaining before I left. There are no more Irish people, not a single one, in Dublin.

Anyway, the reason I can't take your opinion even remotely serious is that Dublin has a population of 1.3mn. If 75% of those were not Irish, that would mean there would be 975,000 foreigners living in Dublin. The problem is, the entire Republic of Ireland only has about 630,000 foreigners (13.1% of our 4.8mn). See the issue?

I wasn't talking about how they look.

Get 100 of your Dougals onto the subject of the 'religion of peace', or Frau Merkel's open borders lunacy on immigration into Europe, and see how indistinguishable from you they are.

I'd say they were largely not too keen on the religion of peace, then again neither am I.
    They'd probably go a bit harder on Merkel though.

So what? They almost always did their fair share.

I really don't get this, so they fly over, and their receptionist is Marta instead of Brid? ... I mean if that ruins the trip, then I don't know, I give up, sorry we're not all river dancing and playing hurling with pints of Guinness.

Turns out we're not a caricature people living in a wee theme park. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Good news I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

People from Eastern Europe coming here is a positive thing overall, they arrive and start working straight away.

I'm not really happy about all the economic migrants arriving from outside the EU though and looking for asylum, they just see this country as a soft touch where they can get easy money.

Scaremongering doesn't even work that great, when very clever people spend a lot of time concocting a story that might be someway plausible.

These post are not scaremongering they're simply too dumb to be put in that category,it might sound great in your mind but trust me everyone who reads it knows it's some stupid **** you just came up with.

take a step back for a minute and ask yourself who would actually read this shoit and have it a impact on their views

or
    you could take a step back look at your own personal lives and ask yourself have you ever been able change anyone's view on anything ever.

I doubt it.

Maybe if you had real-world experience of the workplace... ?

Anyway, you accuse me of scaremongering. My answer is to give you evidence from the UK hotel sector.
    Yet, it is not clear whether international migration in the hospitality industry serves as a positive or negative factor (Choi, Woods, & Murrmann2000)
    nearly a half of the employers claimed that they received negative comments, regarding Eastern European workers, from customers,
    By contrast, a number of practitioners also raised concerns about the fact that Eastern Europeans can sometimes be very direct and say something that in the UK might be perceived as too forward or even rude. One of the interviewees noticed that due to their “broken” English (they do not know what to say and how to say it) Eastern European workers might sound more abrupt than British employees.

https://chesterrep.openrepository.com/bitstream/handle/10034/605878/Published+Article.pdf;jsessionid=DC4FE27B1440A050309D1ED3F0A61EAE?sequence=7

Some muppet will be along shortly to claim that what goes on in Perfidious Albion could never happen here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Not really news...

https://owlcation.com/stem/Irish-Blood-Genetic-Identity

Most of us are originally descended from central Europeans so perhaps all the new arrivals are just distant cousins rejoining us?

I'd say they were largely not too keen on the religion of peace, then again neither am I.
    They'd probably go a bit harder on Merkel though.

Understatement of the year.
    So what? They almost always did their fair share.

I presume you're referring to their work ethic ? In which case, I would say they are superior. But again, different.
    I really don't get this, so they fly over, and their receptionist is Marta instead of Brid? ... I mean if that ruins the trip, then I don't know, I give up, sorry we're not all river dancing and playing hurling with pints of Guinness.

Turns out we're not a caricature people living in a wee theme park. Apologies.

No need to apologise to me, I don't care. I got out of that exploitative sh1t industry years ago.

But yes, it is the case that some Yanks have been disgruntled.

Again, I truly don't care, but the hospitality sector would be foolish not to be aware of it, no ?

And it is pretty pathetic for softheads here to shout 'scaremongering' about things they have no knowledge of just because it doesn't fit the one-world-view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I believe central Dublin is 50% Irish.

(None of them working. Ba da boom, ba da tish).

Again, I truly don't care, but the hospitality sector would be foolish not to be aware of it, no ?

I'm sure that industry can look after itself.

We're not so broke that we have to worry about the occasional disgruntled Yank.

This is all so pointless. End thread. Disaster thread.

No need to apologise to me, I don't care. I got out of that exploitative sh1t industry years ago.

And it is pretty pathetic for softheads here to shout 'scaremongering' about things they have no knowledge of just because it doesn't fit the one-world-view.

A lot of Americans who come here tend to be old and rich and they tend to go the castle type places which are in fact tend to employ Irish people in client facing jobs. So I dint think that’s much of a problem.

Oh. Ok. Didn’t think you had this power.

I'm sure it can too. It's an important sector, though I realise it's changing from the older model.

I couldn't care less about the Yanks, but I do love kicking the feeble 'we are all the same' narrative that wants to shout down any dissent.

We are not all the same.

• Advertisement

A lot of Americans who come here tend to be old and rich and they tend to go the castle type places which are in fact tend to employ Irish people in client facing jobs. So I dint think that’s much of a problem.

It was an issue in the height of the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

or

I doubt it.

It would be nice if you could make your point without making it personal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Renting out a room last year in Dublin,got 20 replies,3 Irish/17 not.

Oh. Ok. Didn’t think you had this power.

ok then, continue in your impotent online campaign.

let me know when you make any tangible difference. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ireland, population 4 million
    83% native Irish

America, population 330 million
    10.5% Irish american

There are about 33 million irish americans and less than 4 million irish people

Statistics are gas

Also, about 800k people who were born in ireland are living in the UK somewhere (not even counting NI) and 6 millionish British people have irish grandparents

Anyone who thinks immigration is bad, and is from Ireland, is a feckin hypocrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

coastwatch wrote: »
    It's a great development, we badly needed to add some "good lookin" genes to the irish gene pool, we were a bunch of pale and pasty freckle heads for far too long.

Thats racist but no one will pull you on it because it suits the agenda.

hawkwing wrote: »
    Renting out a room last year in Dublin,got 20 replies,3 Irish/17 not.

1. So what.
    2. How do you know they weren't irish, did you do a full genealogy exam on them?
    3. Irish people are more likely to be settled than recent migrants who are more likely to be renting a room in a house (students, recent immigrants, single people trying to settle down etc)

Akrasia wrote: »
    Ireland, population 4 million
    83% native Irish

America, population 330 million
    10.5% Irish american

There are about 33 million irish americans and less than 4 million irish people

Statistics are gas

Also, about 800k people who were born in ireland are living in the UK somewhere (not even counting NI) and 6 millionish British people have irish grandparents

Anyone who thinks immigration is bad, and is from Ireland, is a feckin hypocrite

Agree.

The nature of immigration and scale of immigration are serious topics though.

Thats racist but no one will pull you on it because it suits the agenda.

People won't pull him/her on it because it was a joke

Stop being so offended all the time. You're like a floating ice crystal or something

• Advertisement

I'm sure it can too. It's an important sector, though I realise it's changing from the older model.

I couldn't care less about the Yanks, but I do love kicking the feeble 'we are all the same' narrative that wants to shout down any dissent.

We are not all the same.

And I love kicking the 'we're being over run by non-europeans' narrative.

the country is well over 90% white.

it just is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement