Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bottom line is that inviting half the world into Europe disenfranchises the locals, especially the younger generation who are competing for jobs and housing. Its a dick move. Ireland has a relatively small population and can be overwhelmed with numbers very easily. I truly believe the do gooders have no notion just how many people there are out there in the third world who would love to come over.

Can you offer a shred of evidence to back up this claim? Half the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

My father was a good Northern Loyalist Presbyterian with a union jack passport. My mother is from tipp, but her Father was from France.

Does that make me 1/4 french, 1/2 British and a touch Irish. Or because I was born and bred here, am I 100% Irish?

A staff member of mine who is black, but born here to nigerian parents - is she Nigerian or Irish (she says 100% Irish and has a Leinster season ticket to prove it)? Her accent is Irish, she'd put most of us to shame with her fluency in the Irish language and is studying tourism to promote Ireland.

At the end of the day, we're all part of the same world.

Not all part of the same culture though are we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

At the end of the day we all have to get up in the morning.

Tomorrow is Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

stimpson wrote: »
    Stop twisting my words. I don’t mind the Poles but I draw the line at Kerrymen.

You sir are only a Healeyraycist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

People falling for a another Putinbot dog-whistle thread. Are the mods asleep or are they all Putinbots?

There’s only one putinbot mod and the op isn’t putin but his son. Apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

People falling for a another Putinbot dog-whistle thread. Are the mods asleep or are they all Putinbots?

Well, I know that there is at least one mod who is a Putinbot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

sasta le wrote: »
    Look how bad all the Muslims are intergating

All?
    You don't know many muslims, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

My father was a good Northern Loyalist Presbyterian with a union jack passport. My mother is from tipp, but her Father was from France.

Does that make me 1/4 french, 1/2 British and a touch Irish..

That's an interesting one, you are probably as ethnically Irish as a very large proportion of the rest of us. As we have so much Norman and British blood here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

backspin. wrote: »
    As we have so much Norman and British blood here anyway.

Relatively little actually, which is surprising given how long they were here. As horrific a thought as it (oddly) seems to be for some people, Ireland is mostly Gaelic/whatever term you wish to apply to original settlers on the island and quite genetically disparate from Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

vladmydad wrote: »
    Don’t the people make the place ?
    I mean if I went to Japan in 40 years and saw (hypothetically) 50% Nigerian , am I in Japan anymore ?

This is why tourism will be hurt here at some stage. People come to hear the Irish accents as well. If all they see and hear are Africans or other non-Irish accents they'll end up saying "I should have just went to that Country instead."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    This is why tourism will be hurt here at some stage. People come to hear the Irish accents as well. If all they see and hear are Africans or other non-Irish accents they'll end up saying "I should have just went to that Country instead."
    So when do you reckon it'll be that nobody living in the country of Ireland will have an Irish accent?

The fcuking hyperbole out of some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

You've previously said that there's a plot to commit a white genocide, correct? Because it irritates me when posters mask your motivations which I suspect you are.

Stereotypes about the Irish will live on and they're rarely accurate. By your logic, Ireland should have stayed like Peig...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

batgoat wrote: »
    You've previously said that there's a plot to commit a white genocide, correct? Because it irritates me when posters mask your motivations which I suspect you are.

Stereotypes about the Irish will live on and they're rarely accurate. By your logic, Ireland should have stayed like Peig...
    Jesus yes, forgot he's the guy who thinks repealing the 8th ammendment is part of a plot to wipe out the white race

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

An accent tourist. That's a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Billy Mays wrote: »
    So when do you reckon it'll be that nobody living in the country of Ireland will have an Irish accent?

The fcuking hyperbole out of some people

I think that the regional accents are definitely diminishing. Not due to immigration but probably youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese and there are 5 people in my family so it must be one of them. It’s either my mum or my dad, or my older brother Colin, or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu . . . but I think it's Colin.

There seems to be a bit of hyperbole running through this thread.

A kind of inference towards African/Middle eastern invasion of some kind.

I suspect OP felt it necessary to leave out some facts, in order to paint a picture of something which just isn't true.

(hence the lack of a link to the numbers, which contain the inconvenient text ''Other White: 9.5%'')

Republic of Ireland demographics have ''total White'' at 92.4% (2016).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Ethnic_groups

Northern Ireland demographics have ''total White'' at 98.28% (2011).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Northern_Ireland#Ethnicity

Now, make what you will of the self evident dangers of Islam, and other difficult truths associated with Mid-east or African immigration. It would be right to have reservations in many cases.

But, for any talk of significant ethnic change in Ireland we can rule out the hyperbole that this change is in any way imminent and/or that it will be to a much more African/Mid-eastern based population.

Whole island white ethnicity using the above CITED stats is 95.34%.

Which means that, even considering that one stat is from 2011, no we're not being over run by non-Europeans.

Thats not coming from a lefty, (or a righty) its just coming from available online stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Many years ago, I worked in a well-known Kilkenny hotel.

It is very true to say that in particular American guests wanted the friendly interaction, the local knowledge of good pubs, live music, history etc and they loved that part of the experience. Nobody really comes to Ireland for what is after all very average architecture, lakes, mountains etc.

They would have, and I'm sure still do know the difference between a traditional Irish welcome and the rather more detached interaction they might get from a central European person working in an Irish hotel.

If you have a tourist industry which so often hangs it's hat on the 'cead mile failte' reputation, then first impressions count. Especially given the fleecing they get while they're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would only be concerned if we had areas that changed such that one specific foreign nationality became a significant proportion of that area, say if it reached 15%. If the mix were a mixture of a range of nationalities/cultures that's fine but not if it's all the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

An accent tourist. That's a new one.
    More "genuine concerns" from the same old reliable crowd.

Weirdly, and I hope anyone reading has taken a seat, the two black kids in my class in the 90s (one whose parents were both Ghanaian, the other whose dad was Nigerian) had Dublin accents. Might have been something to do with the fact they were born and raised in Dublin........... but I think it's more likely got something to do with George Soros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For everyone asking for source:
    https://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/demographics_profile.html
    Irish 82.2%, Irish travelers 0.7%, other white 9.5%, Asian 2.1%, black 1.4%, other 1.5%, unspecified 2.6% (2016 est.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Billy86 wrote: »
    More "genuine concerns" from the same old reliable crowd.

Weirdly, and I hope anyone reading has taken a seat, the two black kids in my class in the 90s (one whose parents were both Ghanaian, the other whose dad was Nigerian) had Dublin accents. Might have been something to do with the fact they were born and raised in Dublin........... but I think it's more likely got something to do with George Soros.

You guys keep bringing it back to race. However that particularly segue was about Irish workers in the tourism industry not white Irish workers in the tourism industry.

Similarly the op mentions 82% Irish and people respond with the fact that’s it’s actually 94% white. But that’s not what he was concerned about.

You guys keep bringing it back to race. However that particularly segue was about Irish workers in the tourism industry not white Irish workers in the tourism industry.

Similarly the op mentions 82% Irish and people respond with the fact that’s it’s actually 94% white. But that’s not what he was concerned about.

Yes, the segue from the guy who believes there's a plot for a white genocide...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You guys keep bringing it back to race..
    No, that wasn't me. That was JohnMc1. Here's the post for you:

I went to school with two kids who had African parents, and both being born and raised in Dublin they had strong Dublin accents - to say "you guys" (e.g. I) brought back to race is merely projecting in this case, unless you have me confused with one of the most extreme right posters on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

Whats with the "unspecified 2.6%" - Illuminati Lizard Masons?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Exactly globalisation is going to destroy tourism. What's the point on visiting a place if it's the same as every other
    place. Look at the crime carried out by these migrants I was in Italy recently and an Arab tried to rob my phone quickly left when I threatened to call the police as he'd probably be deported since Italy has taken an excellent no nonsense approach to immigration.

Also look at terrorist attacks I don't know about others but I'm not taking my chances going to the UK, Germany, France and Belgium at the moment with the current jihadist craze. However I'm sure Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and now Italy are all beneffitting from increased tourism due their common sense immigration approaches.

Whats to be concerned about as regards the secular westernized Europeans with high employment rates coming here?

Oh no, 9.5% of our population are from other European/Western countries, and are pretty much identical to us except for their funny accents. We're fuking doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭Odhinn

buried wrote: »
    Whats with the "unspecified 2.6%" - Illuminati Lizard Masons?

Nigerian Single Mother Muslim Travellers - the group that dare not speak its name.

Hmmm, poster now too frightened to visit some of the safest countries in the globe, regardless of terror attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭Odhinn

greencap wrote: »
    Whats to be concerned about as regards the secular westernized Europeans with high employment rates coming here?

Oh no, 9.5% of our population are from other European/Western countries, and are pretty much identical to us except for their funny accents. We're fuking doomed.

..totally. We'll never learn Polish for starters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement