Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun attack at Christmas market, Strasbourg.

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Oh im for fukcin real. Wait perhaps I was working when you were drunk lying on a bench doing the double like most according to you.

im for fukcin real

I figured you might be. Ah well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Dannyriver wrote: »
    The documentary was made by RTE. I was an immigrant in late 80's Britain I lived in a 2 bedroom flat with 6 other Irish. In other words I'm not going on hearsay. I worked in various jobs [mostly the ****ty end of the stick in construction even though I had a degree] because I was willing but others I knew stayed on welfare/squatted for accommodation and or used birth certs from friends at home to fiddle the system. I didn't see that as wrong either because the discrimination against us was palpable and I felt no great need to do right by those that saw us as collective scum. Now if you ll inform me how that makes me a casual racist Id appreciate it.

I know I watched it. Seen many like it. You seem to be drawing from stereotypes. So you went over to sign on welfare and get drunk? So why are you not willing to accept the other Irish were different? You seem to be perpetuating a negative stereotype. I know what they thought of us and how we were looked upon, why are you in agreement, judging by your comments here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So you figure the 3 lads in the documentary were got at by 1980's RTE in order to spread some sort of false impression of what life in 80's Britain was like fr the Irish..are you for ****ing real here or trolling.

I know of an RTE documentary on single mothers were they wanted a shot of one of them, (a co-worker of mine at the time) cooking. They then asked her to pop a cigarette in her mouth as she cooked. She declined.
    Not saying these lads were fake just suited the tone of the piece. I guarantee the producers weren't out looking for any success stories.

I know I watched it. Seen many like it. You seem to be drawing from stereotypes. So you went over to sign on welfare and get drunk? So why are you not willing to accept the other Irish were different? You seem to be perpetuating a negative stereotype. I know what they thought of us and how we were looked upon, why are you in agreement, judging by your comments here?

In agreement with the stereo type of the Irish? You need to read the thread again. I'm speaking of the dangers of stereotyping which adds to the problem. Re Irish people getting social welfare which is the crux of it that s a recorded easily verifiable fact, that usefully this thread has allowed me to the attention of those who like to believe that didn't happen.

I know of an RTE documentary on single mothers were they wanted a shot of one of them, (a co-worker of mine at the time) cooking. They then asked her to pop a cigarette in her mouth as she cooked. She declined.
    Not saying these lads were fake just suited the tone of the piece. I guarantee the producers weren't out looking for any success stories.

There were countless success stories of course there were, please don't interpret my contribution to the thread as a black and white argument. My whole point is that emotionally reacting to any given situation is rarely the correct way forward. There is a common humanity that transcends race and culture and unless that's tapped into this world is going to be no place for the next generation and unfortunately myopic interpretations of world affairs are gaining ground and many here are choosing that as their way forward. [just like many Engish did when they looked upon us and are likely to do again if the back stop prevents their plans for their British Utopia ]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Theres a difference in lying and masking the truth in some documentaries . Rte are very good at this.

OK, so why do you think a documentary by RTE on the Irish on the UK in the 1980s is "masking the truth"?

Are you on commission with Easons or something? When someone asks you to back up your waffle, you are very fond of telling them to read a book. It is almost as if you can’t back up your “points”.

Did you watch the documentary that backed up my points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Did you watch the documentary that backed up my points?

Nah, too busy reading books. Make up your mind.

Nah, too busy reading books. Make up your mind.

You should do both really but delighted I ve spurred your interest in the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You should do both really but delighted I ve spurred your interest in the former.

You’ve spurred nothing. I’m constantly reading.

• Advertisement

You’ve spurred nothing. I’m constantly reading.

Good man yourself

Advertisement