Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun attack at Christmas market, Strasbourg.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭malinheader

My Dad lived in England for while and said what you said was luas of horse ****

+1 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

+1 for that.

Get back to me after you watch this, and watch it till the end like a good man. You owe it to the memory of Irish immigrants who came before you whose experiences you insist on denying.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1030-emigration-once-again/319381-irish-emigrants-in-london/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Did he ? well he must have been either asleep or privileged because i lived there in the late 80's early 90's and everything I ve said is fact. Perhaps your grand parents were rich and set him up over there yeah?

No my dad was born in one of the most deprived areas of Manchester.

But everybody worked together to build a better future while it may have took a while.

No my dad was born in one of the most deprived areas of Manchester.

But everybody worked together to build a better future while it may have took a while.

fair play to him I ve nothing but respect for Irish emigrants who did well in the face of intense discrimination. However he was also grew up with an English accent which made a big difference in reality. Like the poster above I suggest you look at the following for a clearer picture of what it was like to be an Irish emigrant and also to dispel the horse **** peddled here that we didn' t get social welfare or benefits when we landed.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1030-emigration-once-again/319381-irish-emigrants-in-london/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The police raided this guy's apartment on the morning of the attack. They obviously had intel on him but they screwed up, allowing him to escape and murder 5 people and injure many more.
    They went to arrest him and he wasn't at home. Unless you know the facts, and what information the police had, you don't know if they screwed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That s common knowledge fella read a book will you
    Are you on commission with Easons or something? When someone asks you to back up your waffle, you are very fond of telling them to read a book. It is almost as if you can’t back up your “points”.
    I shouldnt have to go around doing research for you. Like i said read a book

A bold new strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

Omackeral wrote: »
    A bold new strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

Not that risky Bud :D

What total boll**ks. Slept rough or hostel there still not housed. And I can tell you for certain claiming welfare in Britain or USA for s non nationals was not an option .Notorious for being drunk jesus you are hilarious, time for the ignore list for you. Totally pathetic answer.

I assume the reason you haven't replied to the link I posted is that you ve learned something new about Irish Immigrants and how they were treated in the past and have been somewhat humbled by this new knowledge. Well I'm glad to have been of service, to forget the hardships that we as a nation went through would be very sad and disrespectful to our forefathers.

I assume the reason you haven't replied to the link I posted is that you ve learned something new about Irish Immigrants and how they were treated in the past and have been somewhat humbled by this new knowledge. Well I'm glad to have been of service, to forget the hardships that we as a nation went through would be very sad and disrespectful to our forefathers.

Who's being disrespectful. Were you not the one who classed them as mostly drunks. Also I still disagree with the accusations that the Irish were housed and entitled to social welfare and putting up an rte documentary, well you should watch the one last night about the poor travellers to educate yourself on what kind of ****e rte are screening.

Who's being disrespectful. Were you not the one who classed them as mostly drunks. Also I still disagree with the accusations that the Irish were housed and entitled to social welfare and putting up an rte documentary, well you should watch the one last night about the poor travellers to educate yourself on what kind of ****e rte are screening.

Brilliant. Misquotes me, denies reality , challenges a documentary made at the time of the discussion at hand that totally validates the points I made as being totally unreliable and still manages to have a go at the travellers in the process... Now that will take some level of chicanery to beat. You wouldn't be a MAGA baseball cap wearer by any chance would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

fair play to him I ve nothing but respect for Irish emigrants who did well in the face of intense discrimination. However he was also grew up with an English accent which made a big difference in reality. Like the poster above I suggest you look at the following for a clearer picture of what it was like to be an Irish emigrant and also to dispel the horse **** peddled here that we didn' t get social welfare or benefits when we landed.

While I disagree with you I will have look at this documentary over weekend it might change my opinion to some degree

We might disagree but appreciated the reply to least answer my question with at least some relevance. So fair play on that a nice change from some here

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Nonsense to say the Irish didn't get benefits in the UK, but plenty of places they didn't.

antietam1 wrote: »
    Nonsense to say the Irish didn't get benefits in the UK, but plenty of places they didn't.

So your in agreement that as soon as we landed in the UK we got social welfare benefits. So are you saying we were economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That s exactly what I'm saying...The Irish squatted/slept rough or stayed in filthy hostels all over London and most claimed welfare plus the Irish were famous for welfare scams where many claimed welfare in numerous districts. They were also notorious for being drunk or sleeping in the tube station or rough in the alley ways of London. When things are **** at home people emigrate even to places where they aren't welcome or hadn't you noticed.
    Did he ? well he must have been either asleep or privileged because i lived there in the late 80's early 90's and everything I ve said is fact. Perhaps your grand parents were rich and set him up over there yeah?

Yeah you happened to be there during a recession and just because you saw some Irish drunks or tramps the whole fecking lot were.

My father spent the best part of 30 years working in Britain and there were a lot more besides him.
    Yes there were some that became drunks and ultimately tramps living in squats or on the streets, but by fecking christ there were far far more that worked damn hard and often sent money home to support the morons back here.

The amount of Irish, especially from the West that went to Britain and the US and then made something of themselves and never saw a penny of state support.
    BTW the Irish were going to Britain long before social welfare was heard of, but of course you in your intimate knowledge of all things Irish emigrant in London wouldn't have twigged that.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah you happened to be there during a recession and

My father spent the best part of 30 years working in Britain and there were a lot more besides him.
    Yes there were some that became drunks and ultimately tramps living in squats or on the streets, but by fecking christ there were far far more that worked damn hard and often sent money home to support the morons back here.

BTW the Irish were going to Britain long before social welfare was heard of, but of course you in your intimate knowledge of all things Irish emigrant in London wouldn't have twigged that.

just because you saw some Irish drunks or tramps the whole fecking lot were.

Where did I say that ?

but by fecking christ there were far far more that worked damn hard and often sent money home to support the morons back here.

Where did I dispute that?

The amount of Irish, especially from the West that went to Britain and the US and then made something of themselves and never saw a penny of state support.

Where did I dispute that?

I merely pointed out that the reality of life in 80's Britian for many and that included social welfare and benefits. The reason I stated this is that another poster here said it never happened. The documentary from 1985 where my point is backed up concurs with it. Go easy with the 'by fecking Christ' outrage you ll do yourself an injury. In the meantime you might watch the doc linked also it's not long.

So your in agreement that as soon as we landed in the UK we got social welfare benefits. So are you saying we were economic migrants.

Have you watched that documentary yet by the way, this very point you are disputing is dealt with from 12.30 mins till 12.52...

In short he says 'any thing i need i'll get it' 'Any Irish person coming over here can sign on straight away all they need is a birth cert'

Fake news ?????

Have you watched that documentary yet by the way, this very point you are disputing is dealt with from 12.30 mins till 12.52...

In short he says 'any thing i need i'll get it' 'Any Irish person coming over here can sign on straight away all they need is a birth cert'

Fake news ?????

Lets go back to what you said.

Most of the Irish were on welfare. So most would mean over half of Irish people who emigrated were on welfare.

They were Famous for welfare fraud.

Notorious for being drunk.

Then you accuse me of disrespect to our forefathers.

Perhaps you should get a dictionary and look up the meaning of disrespect.

Still stand by what I said your talking boll**is.

Most of the Irish were on welfare. So most would mean over half of Irish people who emigrated were on welfare.

I referred to your disrespecting the extremely difficult migratory past of our fore fathers by gas lighting their experience. Facts can never be disrespectful they are always just facts. I'm extremely proud of my Irishness and our collective history and how such a small nation with years with an oppressive history has excelled in so many different areas across the world due to our ability to travel and migrate. Ill address you points below.

Most of the Irish were on welfare.

Most who didn't find work obviously duh

They were.

They were

After watching the clip I linked Are you still saying that Irish people were not entitled to welfare when they arrived?

I referred to your disrespecting the extremely difficult migratory past of our fore fathers by gas lighting their experience. Facts can never be disrespectful they are always just facts. I'm extremely proud of my Irishness and our collective history and how such a small nation with years with an oppressive history has excelled in so many different areas across the world due to our ability to travel and migrate. Ill address you points below.

They were.

They were

After watching the clip I linked Are you still saying that Irish people were not entitled to welfare when they arrived?

Most who didn't find work is not what you said. Your post no.556

I can find whatever I want if I search the web long enough.

The thread was started about an atrocity in Strasbourg and how to control the scumbags coming into a country who want to do this and you have succeeded in deflecting it into a totally different topic which I totally will not except. Are you a native at all I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The thread was started about an atrocity in Strasbourg and how to control the scumbags coming into a country who want to do this and you have succeeded in deflecting it into a totally different topic which I totally will not except. Are you a native at all I wonder.

And your good self?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

[/I]

And your good self?

Good to see the grammar police are watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

malinheader Lets go back to what you said.

They were.

They were

You've obviously no clue what you're talking about. You are going by one documentary at one point in time, fair enough, but your over all view seems to be quoting hearsay and anecdotes. You realise this period had a height of anti-Irishness in the British media?
    The English have form for slagging off other peoples, from lazy blacks to mean Scots to stupid drunk Irish. Generations went to England to find work. That's a fact. Nobody emigrates to anywhere to become poor/homeless/drunk. When things are bad at home, you went abroad. If you found things worse or as bad, you make do.
    You seem to be taking seriously the same people who would have 'No blacks, no dogs, no Irish'. Ignorant racists and casual racists. You can probably include yourself in the latter.
    Every time a me feiner government collapses the economy, that's what a lot of people do.

You've obviously no clue what you're talking about. You are going by one documentary at one point in time, fair enough, but your over all view seems to be quoting hearsay and anecdotes. You realise this period had a height of anti-Irishness in the British media?
    The English have form for slagging off other peoples, from lazy blacks to mean Scots to stupid drunk Irish. Generations went to England to find work. That's a fact. Nobody emigrates to anywhere to become poor/homeless/drunk. When things are bad at home, you went abroad. If you found things worse or as bad, you make do.
    You're taking seriously the same people who would have 'No blacks, no dogs, no Irish. Ignorant racists and casual racists. You can include yourself in the latter.
    Every time a me feiner government collapses the economy, that's what a lot of people do.

The documentary was made by RTE. I was an immigrant in late 80's Britain I lived in a 2 bedroom flat with 6 other Irish. In other words I'm not going on hearsay. I worked in various jobs [mostly the ****ty end of the stick in construction even though I had a degree] because I was willing but others I knew stayed on welfare/squatted for accommodation and or used birth certs from friends at home to fiddle the system. I didn't see that as wrong either because the discrimination against us was palpable and I felt no great need to do right by those that saw us as collective scum. Now if you ll inform me how that makes me a casual racist Id appreciate it.

It's relevant because I used to hear the same rhetoric about how to control the 'irish scumbags' who apparently were all collectively responsible for IRA atrocities. It was horse **** about all of us and it's horse **** about all of them. That kind of talk is part of the problem and needs to be called out and challenged. The fact that you will not simply admit that you were wrong about welfare not being available to us when we arrived in Britian sums up your inability to accept anything that challenges your narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Still stand by what I said your talking boll**is.
    So why do you think this RTE documentary from the 1980s is lying?

It's relevant because I used to hear the same rhetoric about how to control the 'irish scumbags' who apparently were all collectively responsible for IRA atrocities. It was horse **** about all of us and it's horse **** about all of them. That kind of talk is part of the problem and needs to be called out and challenged. The fact that you will not simply admit that you were wrong about welfare not being available to us when we arrived in Britian sums up your inability to accept anything that challenges your narrative.
    So as soon as we landed on UK soil we could just walk into the DSS offices and sign on. Ok that sounds believable alright. Away for a pint now. Shouldn't of said that who knows what people will think.

So as soon as we landed on UK soil we could just walk into the DSS offices and sign on. Ok that sounds believable alright. Away for a pint now. Shouldn't of said that who knows what people will think.

Pretty much yeah as I said look at the last 50 seconds of the link ffs can it be really that scary to find out you might be wrong. Most people prefer to be correctly informed.

Billy86 wrote: »
    So why do you think this RTE documentary from the 1980s is lying?

Theres a difference in lying and masking the truth in some documentaries . Rte are very good at this.

Theres a difference in lying and masking the truth in some documentaries . Rte are very good at this.

So you figure the 3 lads in the documentary were got at by 1980's RTE in order to spread some sort of false impression of what life in 80's Britain was like fr the Irish..are you for ****ing real here or trolling.

• Advertisement

So you figure the 3 lads in the documentary were got at by 1980's RTE in order to spread some sort of false impression of what life in 80's Britain was like fr the Irish..are you for ****ing real here or trolling.

Oh im for fukcin real. Wait perhaps I was working when you were drunk lying on a bench doing the double like most according to you.

Advertisement