Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Every garda especially a detective knows that there is an investigation anytime a shot is fired. There is no question that he most a been extremely scared to have used his pistol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

well known? they are on first name terms.

Lets call them regulars for want of a better word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

weird how the dog never barked or yelped. i never saw/heard of a dog grabbing a person by his tie. more likely to grab your leg i would have thought.
    i'm not disputing the Gardaí version of events but ....

Actually, it was covered in the news less than a week ago

If that is the travellers involved the detective was crazy to approach them alone. That's a serious illegal operation so I can only imagine the people involved are very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What sort of a spastic engages in any kind of conflict with an armed police officer? Seriously?

These people are too used to living in a world without consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Grayditch wrote: »
    The confusion is that the dog's name is "Foot".

Or since Paddy Casey they have just started to call travellers dogs

Sky King wrote: »
    What sort of a spastic engages in any kind of conflict with an armed police officer? Seriously?

These people are too used to living in a world without consequences.

can you even imagine confronting and obstructing a police officer in the USA or even Spain who had just drawn his firearm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Give that guard a medal and an Uzi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I'm confused, how many shots did the garda discharge?

The uploader of the video (and reprinted in Broadsheet) is suggesting two, one before the recording where the dog is killed and a second shot which is on the video
    Shortly before 6pm, A garda allegedly helping a friend remove a van that the repairs on it hadn’t been paid for…When the man who repaired it tried to stop the van from being taken, the garda, shoving the man and his wife and when his tie was grabbed, raised a pistol and shot the man having already allegedly shot and killed his dog…

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/12/04/meanwhile-in-longford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The uploader of the video (and reprinted in Broadsheet) is suggesting two, one before the recording where the dog is killed and a second shot which is on the video

Yer man that uploaded the video seems to have a small forest on his shoulder, and Broadsheet isn't exactly the most reliable of sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Wouldn't they have mentioned that in the video instead of going on about assault? I seems pretty likely that the dog was what the man was holding onto at the start of the video and what the Garda was shooting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

If they were breaking the law and it looks like they were harassing the man in the van, whatever they got, they deserved. There shouldn't be any compensation to anyone who is injured while breaking the law

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

tuxy wrote: »
    This sounds believable but it would be nice to have a source. Possibly too soon for news sources to fact check all this?

It will come out in the investigation , there were more witnesses than the 4 people we see or hear from in this video

Hopefully charges will follow .....

LeBash wrote: »
    If they were breaking the law and it looks like they were harassing the man in the van, whatever they got, they deserved. There shouldn't be any compensation to anyone who is injured while breaking the law

I didn't think of that. The man that was shot will probably get a massive payout from the state. Depressing :(

LeBash wrote: »

you're not very familiar with how the Irish system of justice operates, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cloudy90210

Give that Garda a medal of honour.

Poor dog having owners like that putting him in the line of fire. Hopefully the Garda isn't too shook up about the incident. He was defending himself. Screw the travellers.

Can't wait to hear what Margaret Cash has to say on the matter..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

can you even imagine confronting and obstructing a police officer in the USA or even Spain who had just drawn his firearm?

I know I had the exact same thought. I'd say if you even walked towards (let alone touched) a US cop with a drawn firearm he would put you down without thinking twice, and that would be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Anyone can loose it all.
    Anyone can loose it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Let's be honest, the Garda knew he was being video'd. He wouldn't have pulled the gun out and pulled the trigger for the craic. He clearly felt threatened.

Anyway, I was having a bad morning here int he Office but that video really cheered me up. Good on the Garda for his actions. Pity he shot for the foot. The women screaming didn't seem too scared of him given her ability to keep videoing and screaming "he shot me husband". Husband wasn't making too much noise for a man just shot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Reati wrote: »
    Husband wasn't making too much noise for a man just shot either.

Probably on the phone to his solicitor.

Sky King wrote: »
    I know I had the exact same thought. I'd say if you even walked towards (let alone touched) a US cop with a drawn firearm he would put you down without thinking twice, and that would be the end of it.

but do we want the American style of "justice" here?
    a lot of these keyboard warriors here will say "heck yea!", but they'll be the first ones to (rightly) cry foul when an American cop shoots some black kid for being in the wrong neighborhood.

Paschal Sheehy now going live on RTE One News at 1pm to Margaret Cash from the Gresham Hotel where her and her 194 kids are staying for Christmas.

"Margaret is the another example of brutality against the Traveller community?"

"Yes Paschal it's worse than Syria here. Just look at the poor man trying to engage with the driver. The Garda had his gun drawn so he was obviously looking to use it. I'm off to Penney's now to do more shoppin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

you mean they're not Saints or Sinners

Reati wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the Garda knew he was being video'd. He wouldn't have pulled the gun out and pulled the trigger for the craic. He clearly felt threatened.

Anyway, I was having a bad morning here int he Office but that video really cheered me up. Good on the Garda for his actions. Pity he shot for the foot. The women screaming didn't seem too scared of him given her ability to keep videoing and screaming "he shot me husband". Husband wasn't making too much noise for a man just shot either.

Seems like it when through a dog hit the ground then bounced and hit the traveller. Would have taken most the power out of the shot. As said knowing this country there will be a big cash settlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

That woman has some set of lungs

Can't wait to hear what Margaret Cash has to say on the matter..........

Wait no longer

https://gyazo.com/c7943ba3efea113d521ec836bdb8e1da

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Looking at that uploaders other videos I think its safe to say they might be kind of biased against the forces of law and order. I'd take their description of the background story to this with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

Looking at that uploaders other videos I think its safe to say they might be kind of biased against the forces of law and order. I'd take their description of the background story to this with a pinch of salt.

that would be a waste of salt imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement