Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hurrache wrote:
    And even if there was, he was there unofficially helping a friend.

"He was there unofficially helping a friend" of course you have proof of this and not some baseless allegation I trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

what use is a baton against a slash hook?

You're still assuming what is so far hearsay and not reported elsewhere is fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

idnkph wrote: »
    Few issues with this.
    The cop didn't have a batton or pepper spray? Surely this is a first line of defence? I wonder had he called for back up before hand?!
    Why was the cop wearing a tie? If your in a dangerous job that can become physical with violent people why oh why wear a tie? Any doorman would never wear as tie because of the dangerous nature of their job so why should a cop wear one that's not a clip on?
    There is no dagg to be seen attacking him and holding onto his tie as someone said. You can clearly see it's the cream cracker holding onto his tie giving him an advantage with physical control.
    The cop made so many mistakes in that short bit of a clip we seen so how many more has he made from the start of the situation?!

He should have shot the lot of them! That's the only issue that I have!

"He was there unofficially helping a friend" of course you have proof of this and not some baseless allegation I trust.

What the hell is wrong with people and their comprehension issues?

It's there in straightforward English, I said I was commenting specifically on what was written in Broadsheet.

Hurrache wrote:
    It's there in straightforward English, I said I was commenting specifically on what was written in Broadsheet.

You are basing your assumptions on a very poorly written piece of rubbish tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're still assuming what is so far hearsay and not reported elsewhere is fact.

there is a lot about this that is hearsay. But what we have heard matches with typical behaviour by this group.

You are basing your assumptions on a very poorly written piece of rubbish tbh.

Yes, I explicitly said that if that's how it played out. Nothing tricky there, I was commenting on their take. Same as everyone else on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

We miss the reason that the woman screaming is claiming she is pressing charges?

Probably put her hands on the Garda, who pulled away from her grasp, and she considers this assault.

Hurrache wrote:
    Yes, I explicitly said that if that's how it played out. Nothing tricky there.

"If" so you have no idea then other than a poorly written article. Grand so, here was I thinking you had some insight . Thanks for clearing things up .
    Funny though you ignore the dialogue from the guard on camera in favour of an article. Biased prehaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Normal law abiding people see a Gardai with a gun and say okay i'll leave this now and follow up later if i have to, normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Possibly the dog's vocal cords have worn away completely after years of screaching competitions with Mrs Boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

A lot of rumours going around. But the video clearly shows the guard being attacked. Nobody has the right to impede a driver, even when Mary is two weeks from spawning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It says a lot that the "lady" in the video hardly flinched when the dog was shot - camera stayed running on the subject matter, made sure she didn't show the dog, and did lots of theatrical screaming.
    Part of the culture I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hes lucky he didnt get a lot worse grabbing an armed detective

Gravelly wrote:
    It says a lot that the "lady" in the video hardly flinched when the dog was shot - camera stayed running on the subject matter, made sure she didn't show the dog, and did lots of theatrical screaming. Part of the culture I suppose.

Interesting how the lad holding the guard's tie and Mrs Speilberg knew the guard by his first name. I doubt they move in the same social circles...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

not watched the vid - but rte reporting the leg wound as being caused by a shotgun. Is that a normal firearm carried by the the gards?

Wossack wrote:
    not watched the vid - but rte reporting the leg wound as being caused by a shotgun. Is that a normal firearm carried by the the gards?

Watch the video. RTE are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

idnkph wrote: »
    Few issues with this.
    The cop didn't have a batton or pepper spray? Surely this is a first line of defence? I wonder had he called for back up before hand?!
    Why was the cop wearing a tie? If your in a dangerous job that can become physical with violent people why oh why wear a tie? Any doorman would never wear as tie because of the dangerous nature of their job so why should a cop wear one that's not a clip on?

This is standard attire for a detective. He is required to carry a pistol. A baton or pepper spray are not standard issue for a detective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Never take a mangy mutt to a gun-fight!
    (oh and leave the Alsatian at home too)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Wossack wrote: »

If it was caused by a shotgun then it wasn't the Garda that did it. Though RTE wouldn't exactly be the most reliable of sources. They probably checked with Pavee Point before they reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Watched the video again.. After 'Tom' shoots, the screaming lady pans the camera around the ground and rear of the truck and there is no sign of the dog there was neither a yelp so either the dog bolted or the when it was shot the guy holding it dragged it away.

If it was point blank to the head surely there would be some splatter and a body

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well its all coming out in the wash now ,

Lets Call him the Sandy haired cultured gentleman had just been disarmed of a slash hook before the video was taken ( Hence the drawn weapon by the Guard )

The video was edited :eek::eek::eek::eek: so you don't see the dog , dog had attacked and bitten the Guard on the arm , dog was shot and bullet went through him and caught the cultured gentleman

The cultured family are well known to Gardai for a variety of reasons .............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

mike_cork wrote: »
    Broadsheet.ie have this up
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/12/04/meanwhile-in-longford-8/?fbclid=IwAR0eM4TYuPfsUo84-kNhA13ojCEXPIhYkqnLvZnYxZxbmkk3EcYA-QyO1sw

"Shortly before 6pm, A garda in Edgeworthstown in Longford allegedly helping a friend remove a van that the repairs on it hadn’t been paid for…When the man who repaired it tried to stop the van from being taken, the garda, shoving the man and his wife and when his tie was grabbed, raised a pistol and shot the man having already allegedly shot and killed his dog…"

And that's the reason I quit looking at that website years ago. Pure scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Lets Call him the Sandy haired cultured gentleman had just been disarmed of a slash hook before the video was taken ( Hence the drawn weapon by the Guard )

The video was edited :eek::eek::eek::eek: so you don't see the dog , dog had attacked and bitten the Guard on the arm , dog was shot and bullet went through him and caught the cultured gentleman

The cultured family are well known to Gardai for a variety of reasons .............

well known? they are on first name terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"I see you've played gunny - slashhooky before!"

This sounds believable but it would be nice to have a source. Possibly too soon for news sources to fact check all this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The people in the video are well known individuals in the area who were part of a group that were caught a few months back with stolen diggers and vans.

The people in the video are well known individuals in the area who were part of a group that were caught a few months back with stolen diggers and vans.

Again I'd believe it but please link to news articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

To me it looks like when the traveller was holding something down low early on in the video, maybe a dog, maybe not, it was awful quiet if it was a dog, that’s the sort of situation where a dog would be going a big mad.

Perhaps towards the end when the van door is closed he has the dog on one hand and is pulling the detectives face down towards the dog by the tow with his other hand.

It’s not unusual for guards and detectives to know and be known on first name terms by people and criminals in their own area.

There were other people on the background, you can see the detective glancing back at them, I wonder did they film anything, that would be an interesting angle to view this from.

Guards and detectives don’t go about drawing their weapons for no good reason, he knew he was being filmed so he must have had reason.
    Towards the end of the clip as he was being pulled down by the tow he was definitely afraid of something he that dog or traveller, he did a service just shooting in the foot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

tuxy wrote: »
    Again I'd believe it but please link to news articles.

I don't have a link, a friend I know used to live nearby and know the people well. They purchased a factory unit a year ago beside a garage, and then were caught by gardai months ago with stolen vehicles. And they've been giving the local Gardai hell since then.

EDIT: Actually, it was covered in the news less than a week ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement