Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Already beaten. He just did a 1:16.361

It's starting to look like they could hit the 1:15s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Yeah, werent these cars meant be slower ..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, just how worried should Merc/Hamilton fans be? They don't seem to be anywhere near the pace of others. Sure, testing is testing but still.... Merc look mid pack at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Joeface wrote: »
    Yeah, werent these cars meant be slower ..

Yes but they cars would have gotten faster if the rules didn't change. And how have the tyre compounds changed?

Plus wasn't last year's test mostly done during really low temperatures? I think it even showed during the test last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So, just how worried should Merc/Hamilton fans be? They don't seem to be anywhere near the pace of others. Sure, testing is testing but still.... Merc look mid pack at the moment.

The engine is obviously not being pushed but given the huge aero package changes between the first and second round of tests they themselves dont seem very happy.

• Advertisement

Not concerned at all. The better they know their engine the less they heed to run it towards full power. If they can run the engine at 80% and extrapolate the full performance from that then that's all they need to do.

Honda has probably had to change lots of parts in its engine so I'd say they need to figure out how it works. That's probably why TR is up near the front so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Currently sipping on a can of Rich Energy waiting to go on a pitwalk. It's basically red bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Yes but they cars would have gotten faster if the rules didn't change. And how have the tyre compounds changed?

Plus wasn't last year's test mostly done during really low temperatures? I think it even showed during the test last year.

Im looking at the Poll time form the SP GP last year 1:16.173 ...they are not far off that . Leclerc Ferrari 1m16.231s just now

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Currently sipping on a can of Rich Energy waiting to go on a pitwalk. It's basically red bull!
    My mate at the test too and sent a picture of himself with the Rich Energy guy (really hairy guy). He told them to help themselves to Rich Energy from the fridge but it was empty. So he wasn't sure if it actual exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Pics or GTFO! :pac:

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »

Im looking at the Poll time form the SP GP last year 1:16.173 ...they are not far off that . Leclerc Ferrari 1m16.231s just now

So the things that changed will be the engines improved, tyres changed, aero around the car improved and the rule changes will make them a bit slower. And improvements in the mechanical engineering.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rule changes made the cars a bit slower and the cars are faster overall due to all the other improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pjohnson wrote: »
    The engine is obviously not being pushed but given the huge aero package changes between the first and second round of tests they themselves dont seem very happy.

Surely those massive changes would have been pre-planned - they can't have had enough time between the tests to review findings, design aero upgrades, test aero upgrades, build and deliver them?

Whatever about their pace, I would have thought the car design in general terms for both tests would have been decided well in advance

Surely those massive changes would have been pre-planned - they can't have had enough time between the tests to review findings, design aero upgrades, test aero upgrades, build and deliver them?

Whatever about their pace, I would have thought the car design in general terms for both tests would have been decided well in advance

I think they may have either been between two minds on some configuartions (or just mightnt have had some parts ready for last week) so may have planned on running the varied designs but its still not suggesting confidence such large differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I think they may have either been between two minds on some configuartions (or just mightnt have had some parts ready for last week) so may have planned on running the varied designs but its still not suggesting confidence such large differences.

Every single technical commentator on trackside in Barcelona has said the Mercedes doesn't look as "planted" through the corners as it could be (or you would expect to be, given it's been the team with the best chassis since 2014). Not that they'd actually be midfield, more like a few tenths off the likes of Ferrari and maybe Red Bull...and with their quite frankly incredible development ability, I would fully expect them to be in the mix at the front come Melbourne; yet it's no mystery that they're not where they wanted to be right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It'd be great if Hamilton actually had to work for his championship this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.why-mercedes-brought-such-a-heavily-revised-car-to-test-2.1LtnfYtp4oLgQVEXOCw4DH.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

Gasly wrecked his car there earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Cant be said often enough.

He deserves great credit for still being able to drive at all, it's almost miraculous. You would have to wonder about his reactions in race situations however. Will they be quick enough to avoid collisions? The fact of the matter is he can no longer grip the steering wheel properly with both hands instead using only the palm of his right hand in a pushing type of motion, upward or downward. Nobody can seriously claim that this will not compromise his speed and overall performance. It would be a pity if he were to end up several seconds adrift of the rest of the field in qualifying alone, whatever about raceday.
    I can fully understand why he felt he had to come back and prove that he still has what it takes. I hope he can do so.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Nobody can seriously claim that this will not compromise his speed and overall performance.

Anyone remember the fduct days? Blasting up Eau Rouge with one hand on the steering wheel? He'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Inviere wrote: »
    Anyone remember the fduct days? Blasting up Eau Rouge with one hand on the steering wheel? He'll be fine.

Was it the McLaren drivers who used their knees to operate that system?

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    chicorytip wrote: »
    Nobody can seriously claim that this will not compromise his speed and overall performance.

True but nobody would recommend going around a hairpin with one hand on the wheel either.

It remains to be seen whether he'll be fine or not.

Ted is back anyway

True but nobody would recommend going around a hairpin with one hand on the wheel either.

My thinking is that Kubica knows he hasn’t a hope in hell of being competitive like he was in his first career but is looking to leave F1 next time on his own terms. I think subject to funding it’s a 2 year contract he has with Williams and if he stays in for 2020 that will be it bar a miracle.

Monaco, Singapore, Azerbaijan are 3 circuits that will really test him as well.

Williams probably have a performance clause in the contract as well that if he’s languishing around the back of the field several seconds off his teammates pace then they can demote/sack him.

It'd be great if Hamilton actually had to work for his championship this year...

Call me sour, but it would be even better if he didn’t win it.

One of the youngsters would do nicely like LeClerc or Verstappen. The Honda engine is incredibly reliable.

Kubica won't be doing that though, he'll have one fully functional hand, and the other providing assistance. I'm not saying he'll be as good as he was, I'd be shocked if he was...but having knocked in hundreds of testing laps, possessing a Super License, and being faster than Stroll AND Sirotkin last year, I think he'll be at least competitive wherever the car allows him to fight.

Monaco, Singapore, and Azerbaijan as Deckard posted above, will be his litmus test. On more traditional tracks, I expect him to be fine.

mickdw wrote: »
    How do you get hold of paddock passes?
    Can they be bought cheaply for testing?

50 quid here if you can get in background of sky coverage drinking a can of rich energy!

Got 2 cans of Rich Energy and in the background of Craig Slater's report, but not at the same time.

1:06 in with the tricolour in the tricolour in the back left

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11598703/f1-testing-day-three-second-test-ferrari-set-fastest-times-of-winter

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Harika

Not at all, it is still time for Melbourne and also a long season where Mercedes out developed ferrari twice in the last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ted is back anyway

Did you bump into him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mickdw wrote: »
    How do you get hold of paddock passes?
    Can they be bought cheaply for testing?

50 quid here if you can get in background of sky coverage drinking a can of rich energy!

Got 2 cans of Rich Energy and in the background of Craig Slater's report, but not at the same time.

1:06 in with the tricolour in the tricolour in the back left

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11598703/f1-testing-day-three-second-test-ferrari-set-fastest-times-of-winter

:)
    Close but no c̶ ̶i̶ ̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶ ̶ rich energy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement