Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Did you bump into him?

We did, he was weirdly subdued and didn't look like he had a media accreditation, but could have been wrong. Met Paddy Lowe, Mattia Binotto and Charles LeClerc too - LeClerc was stopping for everybody on the paddock and a complete hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

For anyone on the fence about signing up to Sky F1, price seems abit better now if you like Indycar.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1101414869184724993?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So testing is coming to an end so its prediction time:
    Ferrari look to be fastest followed by Mercedes. Then it's anyones for third. Red Bull don't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looks close at the top between Ferrari and Merc. After that it's really tight, but who cares about the midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Gintonious wrote: »
    Looks close at the top between Ferrari and Merc. After that it's really tight, but who cares about the midfield?

Midfield battle is going to be very interesting. Two teams I can see fighting for fifth so far are Racing Point and Haas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Midfield battle is going to be very interesting. Two teams I can see fighting for fifth so far are Racing Point and Haas.

To me they look like they're behind Renault, McLaren and Toro Rosso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Mercedes have another quick car. Puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I fancy Renault for best of the rest. Two great drivers, and I predict a podium for Hulk this year and a possible race win by Ricciardo during a special messed up weekend (like a sprinkling of rain on a track like Monaco).

I'm thinking that Verstappen still hasn't grown up enough and the risks taken won't pull off for him so much. Gasly will be kind to his engine but I don't think he'll have the speed just yet.

I'm thinking Renault will beat Red Bull this year.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

HighLine wrote: »
    Mercedes have another quick car. Puke.

There was not that much of a change to see a drastic shift. 2021 is the chance to fail but with all the resources of Mercedes it is very unlikely.

Laps done in Pre-Season Testing 2019:

Mercedes: 1190
    Ferrari: 997
    Renault: 961
    Toro Rosso: 934
    Alfa: 922
    McLaren: 873
    Haas: 870
    Red Bull: 835
    Racing Point: 625
    Williams: 567

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Gintonious wrote: »
    Laps done in Pre-Season Testing 2019:

Mercedes: 1190
    Ferrari: 997
    Renault: 961
    Toro Rosso: 934
    Alfa: 922
    McLaren: 873
    Haas: 870
    Red Bull: 835
    Racing Point: 625
    Williams: 567

When you consider how much time Williams missed they weren't too far behind Racing Point in terms of laps done.

When you consider how much time Williams missed they weren't too far behind Racing Point in terms of laps done.

Solid enough reliability throughout really. A few natural bugs that will happen with new cars, most of the time lost for Ferrari or RB were a result of crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,408 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Karun Chandhoks twitter is well worth a glance at. Explains certain parts of the testing extremly well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

pjohnson wrote: »
    Karun Chandhoks twitter is well worth a glance at. Explains certain parts of the testing extremly well!

Second that! I'm an avid follower, he's the best analyst around imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Inviere

pjohnson wrote: »

He’s a class act is Karun, he’s great in all aspects of F1 punditry...the pit lane, front and center, grid walks, commentary, he’s brilliant.

Stick Chandok in the commentary box with Brundle. Sick of David Croft

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Inviere

Stick Chandok in the commentary box with Brundle. Sick of David Croft

I had the same thought, it’d be a dramatic improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Initial schedule showing the Australian Grand Prix will be shown on Sky One as well as Sky Sports F1 and Sky Sports Main Event

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

recyclebin wrote: »
    So testing is coming to an end so its prediction time:
    Ferrari look to be fastest followed by Mercedes. Then it's anyones for third. Red Bull don't look great.

Tyre-corrected, Red Bull are there or thereabouts with Ferrari and Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looking at the entire grid, has it ever been so strong in the midfield.
    Williams are at the back but considering the history etc I wouldn't call them also rans. After that it's so strong that it's impossible to put order on the field.
    None of the midfield are struggling for cash this year or struggling to stay afloat and with the many tie ups with bigger teams, it looks very competitive all the way down.
    With honda seeming to finally be getting there, it will only add strength also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Honda does seem to have sorted out the engine. Reliability is good so I presume they're confident they've cracked it. Wouldn't be surprised if Honda is better than Renault this year.

Honda does seem to have sorted out the engine. Reliability is good so I presume they're confident they've cracked it. Wouldn't be surprised if Honda is better than Renault this year.

I’m hoping and praying that Honda outdo Renault, in turn McLaren, it will be a two fingered gesture to the McLaren board.

Honda themselves said they weren’t ready in 2015.

The shackles came off with Toro Rosso and Red Bull look set to give Honda their first podiums of the current hybrid era.

Seeing a Sauber or even a Honda powered car on the podium will bring a great change.

Getting sick of hearing the same anthems every race.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I’m hoping and praying that Honda outdo Renault, in turn McLaren, it will be a two fingered gesture to the McLaren board.

The shackles came off with Toro Rosso and Red Bull look set to give Honda their first podiums of the current hybrid era.

Seeing a Sauber or even a Honda-powered car on the podium will bring a great change.

Totally agree would love to see Honda teams to crush Mclaren and that slimy twat Zak Brown he is the epitome of a typical American corporate twat all talk and no action and if there is action it seems to be always wrong. If McLaren is to survive in F1 as a top team that needs to happen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Totally agree would love to see Honda teams to crush Mclaren and that slimy twat Zak Brown he is the epitome of a typical American corporate twat all talk and no action and if there is action it seems to be always wrong. If McLaren is to survive in F1 as a top team that needs to happen this year.
    Amazing to think McLaren had Mercedes engines and gave them up for a gamble on a works Honda engine. And now they're a Renault customer. What a terrible series of moves.

Can't blame them for wanting a works Honda deal but in hindsight they would have been so much better off doing nothing and staying with Mercedes.

Think one clear takeaway from pre season is Toro Rosso and Alfa Romeo have most definitely improved their cars on last years offerings.

ue2n3clhxjj21.png

Amazing to think McLaren had Mercedes engines and gave them up for a gamble on a works Honda engine. And now they're a Renault customer. What a terrible series of moves.

Can't blame them for wanting a works Honda deal but in hindsight they would have been so much better off doing nothing and staying with Mercedes.

McLaren will go the way of Williams in the future through terrible leadership will sit in the midfield for some years then become an irrelevant team like Williams. Christ this year they don’t even have a world champion in the team for god only knows how long.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    McLaren will go the way of Williams in the future through terrible leadership will sit in the midfield for some years then become an irrelevant team like Williams. Christ this year they don’t even have a world champion in the team for god only knows how long.
    02 - 06 possibly?
    Raikonnen replaced Hakkinen while Coulthard remained (circa 02 after his debut at Sauber) then Montoya replaced Coulthard (when Red Bull joined in '05) and De La Rosa replaced Montoya when Montoya quit ('06). They then signed Alonso from Renault for 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Two weeks to go for the first race of the year. The petrol is starting to flow through my veins.

To warm up for the new season I got an invite to a BMW M track day next Friday so I can indulge in the racing driver dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Seeing a Sauber or even a Honda powered car on the podium will bring a great change.

So you want Red Bull to beat McLaren and get podiums with Honda. The same Red Bull who blamed Renault for everything even though they won 4 championships with them........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement