Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

vectra wrote: »
    I guess for a similar reason Vettel was quite a bit behind Leclerc for a while.

What’s that? Poor Form or old age?

recyclebin wrote: »
    So next season we will have Alfa and Alpha. What genius at Red Bull thought of that rebrand.

Alpha Tauri is the red bull clothing brand. Makes sense to me. There will be Alfa Romeo and Alpha Tauri so it’s grand. people will probably just refer to them as Romeo and Tauri.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭This is it

AMKC wrote: »
    So who is here going to watch the highlights of the weekends race?

I am up early but am watching it anyway. Hoping it was a good race. Please anyone that has seen it do not ruin it for us that have not.

It amazes me that you come on to a formula 1 forum and general thread right before watching the highlights of a race that you don't want to know the results of, only to tell people not to tell you the results, almost like you're hoping someone will so you can be outraged, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Given the lateness of the highlights last night, I decided to splash out for NowTv to watch it live. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The Sky crew really are insufferable. I spent most of the buildup on my phone as it was so dull, well, except for the bit with Johnny Herbert and George Russell in the car. I had to mute that as it was so cringeworthy. If only I could have muted 'Crofty' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Given the lateness of the highlights last night, I decided to splash out for NowTv to watch it live. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The Sky crew really are insufferable. I spent most of the buildup on my phone as it was so dull, well, except for the bit with Johnny Herbert and George Russell in the car. I had to mute that as it was so cringeworthy. If only I could have muted 'Crofty' too.

F1TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What’s that? Poor Form or old age?

You tell me!

You tell me!

Well it looks like poor form from vettel. With kimi it could one of his many extended periods of poor form. It be old age and just being past it too with Kimi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

No one noticed Ferrari dropping speed after being "caught" with their trick with the fuel flow meter ?

weisses wrote: »
    No one noticed Ferrari dropping speed after being "caught" with their trick with the fuel flow meter ?

Max noticed. He was asked why Ferrari dropped speed and he said it’s because they had to stop cheating.

Listening to an interview with Matthew Carter, former Lotus team boss. He said they were sure the car was fully legal at only a handful of races in his whole career as team boss.

Max noticed. He was asked why Ferrari dropped speed and he said it’s because they had to stop cheating.

Both red bull and merc found out what Ferrari was doing ... red bull asked the FIA if they could implement a system similar to what they thought Ferrari was using ... they were told no ... so Ferrari wad forced to stop using their loophole ... Ferrari now saying their lack of pace this weekend was due to them testing a few things for next year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well it looks like poor form from vettel. With kimi it could one of his many extended periods of poor form. It be old age and just being past it too with Kimi.

Put Kimi in a decent car and see where he will be.
    That Alfa is gone backwards since the start of the season.
    Both red bull and merc found out what Ferrari was doing ... red bull asked the FIA if they could implement a system similar to what they thought Ferrari was using ... they were told no ... so Ferrari wad forced to stop using their loophole ... Ferrari now saying their lack of pace this weekend was due to them testing a few things for next year :rolleyes:

You have evidence of this cheating?
    I guess it would have nothing to do with the fact that Charles was using an older spec used engine?
    Or the fact that both drivers (especially Vettel ) had trouble switching on their tyres at the start of the race?

Lets wait to see how they perform for the final 2 races before passing judgement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

The smears against Ferrari are pretty awful. Mercedes have been utterly dominant for the vast majority of the last 6 years. Ferrari match them for a few races and all of a sudden it's because they must be cheating. With no evidence whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Well no, Matteo said that Charles had an older engine with no upgrade in it and Vettel. Well you saw what happened to him...

They didn't say they were testing anything for 2020

You have evidence of this cheating?
    I guess it would have nothing to do with the fact that Charles was using an older spec used engine?
    Or the fact that both drivers (especially Vettel ) had trouble switching on their tyres at the start of the race?

Lets wait to see how they perform for the final 2 races before passing judgement. :)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146959/red-bull-gets-fuel-flow-verdict-amid-ferrari-intrigue

Make of it what you will

And of course a different engine all of a sudden puts leclerc 47 seconds behind the race winner ;)
    Mercedes F1 team boss Toto Wolff said: “We’ve just had a discussions about the data from the race and the speed trace looks totally different to the last few races, whether it is down to the technical directive I obviously don’t know because we can’t look into what Ferrari has done.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146959/red-bull-gets-fuel-flow-verdict-amid-ferrari-intrigue

Make of it what you will

And of course a different engine all of a sudden puts leclerc 47 seconds behind the race winner ;)

Well apparently you are making of it what you "want to believe"

As I said above, show us some evidence,

As for being 47 seconds behind.!

Are you serious?
    You did read my reply where I said Charles was using an older spec ( obviously an earlier spec) so would be down on performance anyway, but add to that the fact it was a sued engine which also decreases in power over usage.
    Of course he was now going to be competitive enough to fight for the win.

OSI wrote: »
    Max has shown himself to be such a salty ****er over the last few weeks it's quickly overshadowing his skills.
    • Ferrari were cheating
    • Lewis only wins because of the car
    • Other drivers having to drive differently to avoid a crash with him is great because it means he's in their head
    • Goaded FIA into penalising him for not lifting during Qualy in Mexico.

First and third are likely true. Second is partially true (Lewis is still great but would struggle to do much better than max in a red bull) fourth was max being a fool. He has also been unreliable in the last few races.

I listened to coverage of Hamilton and they had 3 people sharing stories about how most people assume Hamilton is a knob and they were actually trying to be positive about Lewis and say he’s not a knob. Then they were scathing of Max and referred to the time he said he feels like head butting the next person who asks him the same boring question again.

It reminded me that the main thing the journalists are reporting is how they personally feel about the driver. So if a driver licks their arze they will reciprocate when talking about the driver. Max doesn’t lick their arze and the report on him as if he strengthens his legs by kicking puppies to death.

Well apparently you are making of it what you "want to believe"

As I said above, show us some evidence,

As for being 47 seconds behind.!

Are you serious?

sorry i was wrong ..... it was 52 seconds behind the winner
    You did read my reply where I said Charles was using an older spec ( obviously an earlier spec) so would be down on performance anyway, but add to that the fact it was a sued engine which also decreases in power over usage.
    Of course he was now going to be competitive enough to fight for the win.

No it all makes sense ... Ferrari was all of a sudden testing a new setup experiment ...
    Regarding suggestions the performance of Ferrari's powerunit was down by quite a lot, Binotto said: "It was not down by quite a lot.
    "It was slightly down
    , which is what we were expecting between the upgrade of engines. That was a power unit 2 and not the third we introduced in Monza."

everyone in the paddock kinda knows what happened if you read through the various comments ..... The directive put out made it clear RB and Merc knew what ferrari was up to ..And now that major performance gain loophole is illegal ..And as a result Ferrari,s straight line dominance is gone .... I say again, make of it what you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

In relation to Sky F1, does anyone mute the race start? Sick to death of “it’s lights out and away we go” at every single race.

In relation to Sky F1, does anyone mute the race start? Sick to death of “it’s lights out and away we go” at every single race.

I’m aware of that expression but it never sticks out in my memory of the Coverage.

What about it winds people up so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I actually don't hear lights out being said because I'm too busy shouting 'Go', and concentrating on who is making a decent start. :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For me, it just sounds wrong coming out of David Crofts mouth. I do like the phrase when it's said by Ben Edwards though.

I’m aware of that expression but it never sticks out in my memory of the Coverage.

What about it winds people up so much?

Probably just the way David Croft commentates, can’t wait until sky finally dump him. As mentioned, Ben Edwards is better. You’ll never better Murray Walker. Having heard him commentate with James Hunt, Jonathan Palmer & Martin Brundle only Palmer was crap, Jonathan Legard being the other.Croft should have been left at the BBC in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Probably just the way David Croft commentates, can’t wait until sky finally dump him. As mentioned, Ben Edwards is better. You’ll never better Murray Walker. Having heard him commentate with James Hunt, Jonathan Palmer & Martin Brundle only Palmer was crap, Jonathan Legard being the other.Croft should have been left at the BBC in 2012.

Are there plans to dump him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Croft is fine as a play by play guy, the problem is that he goes off on ridiculous tangents every race. Does the viewer really need to know that he and Johnny Herbert went on a road trip around texas?

Ted Kravitz is another tulip

There was speculation they were going to prior to the start of this season, as well as Ted.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    Croft is fine as a play by play guy, the problem is that he goes off on ridiculous tangents every race. Does the viewer really need to know that he and Johnny Herbert went on a road trip around texas?

I'd take Kravitz over Herbert though. Sky need a shake up, Lazenby is another that needs to go

uchimata83 wrote: »

Some people love ted an i really don’t get it.

I ignore all the buildup except the quali review. I do t have sky so i only see sky when I watch with the lads in one of their houses. Otherwise I just see C4 highlights and fast forward the buildup.

Some people love ted an i really don’t get it.

I ignore all the buildup except the quali review. I do t have sky so i only see sky when I watch with the lads in one of their houses. Otherwise I just see C4 highlights and fast forward the buildup.

Ted was apparently sacked before the start of the season before a fan frenzy o twitter was set up under the hashtag Where's Ted, can we do similar to get Georgie Thompson back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

I have found it best since been forced to watch on SKY to limit what I watch to , FP1-FP3 mainly on Youtube F1 channel and the POST race here as well , Just Quailfing on Sky , and Just the Race ( arrive at 10past for the formation lap)

Croft is just tryin to fill the Void of nothing happening but he is not good at it , Wrong names , wrong overtake information, and still that "The DRS IS OPEN and he's gaining and still gaining but just not close enough this time " ...yes we know we could see from both the timing screen and the coverage he was never going to make it .

going to add in the Brundle no longer corrects him , I did find it funny listing to Paul Di when he was covering Brundle cause he was correcting Croft the whole race for names and order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm sort of hoping they keep him at this stage.
    I'd be worried that they might poach Ben Edwards from C4 as a replacement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement