Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Oh and welcome back - hope you'd a nice trip home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It's full-steam ahead for me for Raheny. I tried out a running club last night and think I'd like to join. I assume it's okay to swap the Wednesday session on the Grads 5-10k plan for whatever session the club is doing on a Tuesday? So, club session on a Tuesday but follow the plan for the rest of the week?

Can’t see an issue with that at all, are the sessions 5/10k specific do you know? Trip home was manic but good thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I don't think I'll make Raheny now, so looking about for a 5 or 10k in February to keep me ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Same as Huzzah, went training with a club last night and don't see why I would not join. Their two main sessions are Tuesday and Thursday nights so I'll work the grads plan around that. I've signed up for Raheny too

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I don't think I'll make Raheny now, so looking about for a 5 or 10k in February to keep me ticking over.

Enniscorthy 10k in February is a good race, not sure where your based though.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:

Huzzah! was also pushing this one on me :)
    Am certainly thinking about it!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Huzzah! was also pushing this one on me :)
    Am certainly thinking about it!

Huzzah! is an awful bully :p

Here's my Strava from last year if it helps. You might just ignore the blow up around the sixth km :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/1402491269

OOnegative wrote: »
    Can’t see an issue with that at all, are the sessions 5/10k specific do you know? Trip home was manic but good thanks!!

It'll probably become clearer after a few weeks. Tuesday is a track session and last night was a pyramid session and I think beneficial for 5/10k stuff.

Huzzah! wrote:
    Huzzah! is an awful bully

There are worse things you could be pushing!

Thanks for the Strava link!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Apologies folks, was home in Ireland the past week and my phone reception was very very patchy. All those targeting the Raheny 5 should have there teeth well into training at this stage? What is the plan for others?

I, and a good few others, I think, are in the sick or injured camp. I think we need a support group :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Huzzah! wrote:
    It's full-steam ahead for me for Raheny. I tried out a running club last night and think I'd like to join. I assume it's okay to swap the Wednesday session on the Grads 5-10k plan for whatever session the club is doing on a Tuesday? So, club session on a Tuesday but follow the plan for the rest of the week?

Just one word of caution I'd give on this. I'm not completely familiar with the plan but one thing I'd guess is that there are typically two days of easy running or rest between sessions? so if you do shift your session to the Tuesday you'd ideally want to be doing your other session on Friday and long run Saturday. But that's probably not a set rule. Just a guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi folks.

Just back from a 60 minute progression run (easy to MP). I really enjoyed it but the latter stages of it had me questioning if I'm actually using the correct paces from the pace calculator.

I used my most recent 5k time and within the 60 minutes, I went from 'easy pace' to 'tempo', which I'm guessing would be marathon pace?

Would hate to think I was running beyond what was necessary so would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

coogy wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Just back from a 60 minute progression run (easy to MP). I really enjoyed it but the latter stages of it had me questioning if I'm actually using the correct paces from the pace calculator.

I used my most recent 5k time and within the 60 minutes, I went from 'easy pace' to 'tempo', which I'm guessing would be marathon pace?

Would hate to think I was running beyond what was necessary so would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

Tempo is more half marathon pace than marathon pace, if you were working towards the end of it the ‘tempo’ pace might be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Tempo pace would not be the same as MP.

Tempo pace would traditionally be the pace you can hold for one hour.

Just one word of caution I'd give on this. I'm not completely familiar with the plan but one thing I'd guess is that there are typically two days of easy running or rest between sessions? so if you do shift your session to the Tuesday you'd ideally want to be doing your other session on Friday and long run Saturday. But that's probably not a set rule. Just a guideline.

Yep, thanks. Planning on moving everything back a day as you've suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Apologies folks, was home in Ireland the past week and my phone reception was very very patchy. All those targeting the Raheny 5 should have there teeth well into training at this stage? What is the plan for others?
    I'll be running Raheny but not targeting anything in particular as I'm still slowly working my way back to full training. But it seemed worth signing up anyway for the goody bag and the outing ;)

Went to check out a club last night myself (must be something in the air this week) so like the others I'm wondering about how to work it. I really like the idea of running with other people but also like following my own plan, so if I join I mightn't go religiously.

eyrie wrote: »
    Went to check out a club last night myself (must be something in the air this week) so like the others I'm wondering about how to work it. I really like the idea of running with other people but also like following my own plan, so if I join I mightn't go religiously.

As Swashbuckler pointed out above, make sure there’s adequate days between sessions whatever you decide. I’m a member of a club & have never trained with them once due to work circumstances before moving over here & I continue to be a member while I’m here to. It’s up to yourself how often you attend.

OOnegative wrote:
    As Swashbuckler pointed out above, make sure there’s adequate days between sessions whatever you decide. I’m a member of a club & have never trained with them once due to work circumstances before moving over here & I continue to be a member while I’m here to. It’s up to yourself how often you attend.

I'd echo this. I joined a club in August. I've trained with them once. Some lads never train with them. Some go religiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Using the pace calculator and the plan I would go from easy to easy tempo. The terms used on the calculator do not necessarily match up with other interpretations of tempo/ threshold etc.

If you are prescribed easy to MP I would suggest easy on the calculator to a real life probable MP.

Tempo pace would not be the same as MP.

Tempo pace would traditionally be the pace you can hold for one hour.

Ok, great thanks for clearing that up!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Using the pace calculator and the plan I would go from easy to easy tempo. The terms used on the calculator do not necessarily match up with other interpretations of tempo/ threshold etc.

If you are prescribed easy to MP I would suggest easy on the calculator to a real life probable MP.

Yeah, that seems more like it S. I was by no means out of my comfort zone but the pace did leave me second guessing alright.

Tempo is more half marathon pace than marathon pace, if you were working towards the end of it the ‘tempo’ pace might be the reason.

Thanks OO!

I was rewarded for my efforts today by sharing a cheery wave with President Higgins himself as his limousine pulled out of the Aras! :D

Definitely, I'm being very cautious about recovery at the moment so would be making sure to allow plenty of time in between any hard efforts.
    I'm also thinking now about the point you mentioned to Huzzah! a few posts back though about whether the club sessions are 5k/10k specific. I hadn't thought about that as a factor before, but that's the distance I hope to target next too. I don't know anything yet about how they plan the sessions out but I suppose if they're not targeting the same thing as me I might not go to too many anyway. Need to find out a bit more about how it all works still!

eyrie wrote:
    Definitely, I'm being very cautious about recovery at the moment so would be making sure to allow plenty of time in between any hard efforts. I'm also thinking now about the point you mentioned to Huzzah! a few posts back though about whether the club sessions are 5k/10k specific. I hadn't thought about that as a factor before, but that's the distance I hope to target next too. I don't know anything yet about how they plan the sessions out but I suppose if they're not targeting the same thing as me I might not go to too many anyway. Need to find out a bit more about how it all works still!

I think one way to approach it is have your plan and do the club session every now and then. It doesn't really matter if the odd session is "off plan". You'll get a stimulus from the session regardless which will stand to you whether it's 5k specific or not, plus the added benifit of running with a group. After writing this I'm now wondering why I haven't done more with the club!

I think one way to approach it is have your plan and do the club session every now and then. It doesn't really matter if the odd session is "off plan". You'll get a stimulus from the session regardless which will stand to you whether it's 5k specific or not, plus the added benifit of running with a group. After writing this I'm now wondering why I haven't done more with the club!
    :P
    Fair points though! Yeah I reckon it can't be any harm to opt for the club sessions some of the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone every use runcoach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Not me but I have used their training paces as that is the pace calculator attached to the grads plan

Is that not RunFastCoach S? The Tinman caclulator. I think RunCoach is different :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Is that not RunFastCoach S? The Tinman caclulator. I think RunCoach is different :confused:

You are probably right!! :pac::pac:

I've just entered this - I've some demons to slay from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I have a question on the weekend runs. For DCM we would typically have done the long run of a Saturday, with a few recovery miles on the Sunday. The graduate plans on the other hand have a session of some sort on the Saturday (30 min tempo, 4 x 6min @ threshold, etc.) with the long run on the Sunday.

I guess I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind why they are laid out in this way. I think if I understand the why, it helps get me out the door.

Advertisement