Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

eyrie wrote: »
    I made it out for an actual run yesterday - all of 3 miles and slower than I've run in about a year so it was a bit horrifying but aside from the lack of fitness it was lovely to be out for a run. Back to the physio tomorrow for my follow up so we'll see what happens!

Excellent news. You can begin to take some of the slack for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

juke wrote: »
    Adding myself to the 'used to run occasionally, now hobble a lot' list. I'm even skipping the gym :(

Niggly knee. Very similar in feeling to an old injury, but I'm not feeling improvement with exercises given then. I'll give it another couple of days before I make a physio call.

I can't say I'm too gutted, listening to the howling wind outside. Anybody else dreaming of the sweltering humid days of the summer?

Hope a few days’ rest and the exercises help.

I’m longing for that rare beast of a hot day with low humidity.

eyrie wrote: »
    I made it out for an actual run yesterday - all of 3 miles and slower than I've run in about a year so it was a bit horrifying but aside from the lack of fitness it was lovely to be out for a run. Back to the physio tomorrow for my follow up so we'll see what happens!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Excellent news. You can begin to take some of the slack for the rest of us.
    Ha, I wouldn't be counting on me if I were you :P My dumb leg still isn't any better, but not running doesn't seem to make a difference so maybe I might as well run? That's going to be my argument when I go to the physio later anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Anybody else dreaming of the sweltering humid days of the summer?

Yes! I hate running in the dark. It really restricts where I can run and I'm more than a bit fed up already of the same loops and routes. Also the rain seems to wait especially for when I lace up! My shoes are either on my feet or drying out in the hot press.
    Ok, no more moaning, I promise.

Hope your knee is feeling better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Yes! I hate running in the dark. It really restricts where I can run and I'm more than a bit fed up already of the same loops and routes. Also the rain seems to wait especially for when I lace up! My shoes are either on my feet or drying out in the hot press.
    Ok, no more moaning, I promise.

Hope your knee is feeling better soon.

The day will eventually come when you'll learn to love running in the rain in winter(mainly because it doesn't rain when it's-10:)) You'll have built up the shoe collection to cover everyday of the month, you'll have enough race T-shirts to outnumber every other item of clothing you own, a cool drizzle will become refreshing, everyone looking at you like you're a lunatic thrashing your way through temporary lakes on the road like a part-time triathlete and re-refreshing with a nice hot shower and hot chocolate when you get in the door knowing you got it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Hi! I'm so late to the party :rolleyes:
    It's great seeing how everyone else is doing - I haven't read boards in weeks as I've had serious running envy, but I'm starting to recover now so I thought I'd give a quick update!
    Marathon recovery went fine, I took 2 weeks off and then started back doing a few easy runs. I signed up for the Clontarf 5 mile and took nearly 5 minutes off my PB time :D
    Then I got sick :rolleyes: What I assumed to be the flu turned out to be a bad virus, I was signed off work for 4 weeks and told to rest. I'm back in work now, I'm still not completely better but I'm hoping I'll be able to start back training soon. I really miss running! I'll do a test run next Monday and go from there.

A: What are your next goals?
    I signed up for cross country with my club, first race supposed to be January 6th- God help me :eek:

B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    Im hoping to be back doing 5k's on my lunch break and then build from there. I'll pay close attention to how my body reacts to running and adapt appropriately - I'd rather miss a few weeks now and come back strong when I'm ready.

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?
    I signed up for DCM19 the day after the marathon, so that will be my main focus for next year! My plan is to focus on getting my 5k time down for the spring, and then find a good marathon plan.
    Overall I hope to improve my 5k time by 2-3 minutes and take 5 mins off my 10k time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Hi! I'm so late to the party :rolleyes:
    It's great seeing how everyone else is doing - I haven't read boards in weeks as I've had serious running envy, but I'm starting to recover now so I thought I'd give a quick update!
    Marathon recovery went fine, I took 2 weeks off and then started back doing a few easy runs. I signed up for the Clontarf 5 mile and took nearly 5 minutes off my PB time :D
    Then I got sick :rolleyes: What I assumed to be the flu turned out to be a bad virus, I was signed off work for 4 weeks and told to rest. I'm back in work now, I'm still not completely better but I'm hoping I'll be able to start back training soon. I really miss running! I'll do a test run next Monday and go from there.

A: What are your next goals?
    I signed up for cross country with my club, first race supposed to be January 6th- God help me :eek:

B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    Im hoping to be back doing 5k's on my lunch break and then build from there. I'll pay close attention to how my body reacts to running and adapt appropriately - I'd rather miss a few weeks now and come back strong when I'm ready.

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?
    I signed up for DCM19 the day after the marathon, so that will be my main focus for next year! My plan is to focus on getting my 5k time down for the spring, and then find a good marathon plan.
    Overall I hope to improve my 5k time by 2-3 minutes and take 5 mins off my 10k time.

Welcome back, only thing I will say to you at the minute is do not run a step till you are fully sure that you are over the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Update for last 2 weeks

Haven't got much running done mainly due to being so busy with work and a few nights out. This past week I got 3 runs done - 12 miles and the previous week only 2 runs. Good news is my speed is much improved since before marathon training. I took 17 secs off my best 3k time of this year. Bad news is I'm wheezing if I run hard since Jingle Bells. I don't have asthma. Will go to doc in new yr if it doesn't clear up.

I decided I would redo my second week of base training last week since my volume was so bad. I should be doing at least 4 runs every week. Should I start the whole thing again or continue and up my runs to 4 or 5?

Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone, especially OOnegative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Happy Christmas to you all! It's been an amazing 6 months x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Hi All
    I’m very late getting to post on this thread- thanks for setting it up-I have to say I really suffered a lack of motivation since DCM, but I’m really looking forward to posting more on here over the next few months.

To begin, I loved the training for DCM, didn’t really have the race I wanted (not everyone does I know) as my pace was too aggressive and I had two weeks of no running prior to DCM cause of a niggle in my foot.

So really looking forward to kicking into training again.

A: what are your next goals?

I have signed up for Belfast Marathon, Dublin again as well as trim 10 mile and bohermeen (so far!)

B: what type of training do you intend to do over the winter?

I’m a bit late into winter now, however with 18 weeks to Belfast, I’m planning on doing 4 weeks of base training and then the Beginners marathon plan to get me to Belfast, hopefully intact!!

C: where do you hope to see yourself in 12 months with your running?

Hopefully a stronger runner ( I really appreciate now how important staying injury free is) , I finished 4:23 in Dublin, so my plans will be for 4:10/4:15 in Belfast and a closer attempt at sub 4 in Dublin 2019.

As I said I’m really looking forward to kicking off on a structured plan again.

Cheers

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

I have signed up for Belfast Marathon, Dublin again as well as trim 10 mile and bohermeen (so far!)

Great goals. it's good to have you back. I was happy to see you back running on Strava. Looking forward to the new log *ahem*.

Happy new year, all! Here's to a great 2019 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Took the foot off the gas completely since DCM but now thinking new year, new focus... so trying to get back to proper runs etc. I suck at searching these forums for links etc - would anyone mind posting the base plan again??!! TIA

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and best wishes for 2019 in running and more generally!

Also thinking that I'll invest in a snazzy watch during the sales - is there still a Strava group active??

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Took the foot off the gas completely since DCM but now thinking new year, new focus... so trying to get back to proper runs etc. I suck at searching these forums for links etc - would anyone mind posting the base plan again??!! TIA

Here ya go:
    So the graduates plan, devised by Testosterscone, is here
    Pacing calculator link

There's a general Boards Strava group but I wouldn't have the first clue in how to link you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Search Strava for Boards AC and then simply join it.

The Novices group is still there. Search for DCM Novices 2018 and request to join it. We'll add you to it then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've been MIA for a while - spending more time seeing what other sports look like on Strava, rather than running :o

Who knew a hour sailing would burn 400 calories?!

I have a knee problem (cruciate), but no symptoms when I run. I don't know if running aggravates it, though. I'll get back to my physio next week. It was hard enough coming to terms with a 6.30 alarm and going back to work today. I'm such a snow flake.

I'm working on 2019 goals at the moment. I have aced procrastination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm working on 2019 goals at the moment. I have aced procrastination :)
    Riiiiiight there with you. The thoughts of all the reading I have to catch up on Boards is sending me off to find somewhere else on the internet to procrastinate :pac:
    That's before I even think of coming up with my own goals :rolleyes:

Sorry about the knee, will keep fingers crossed for you! Let us know what the physio says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I probably know the answer to this already, but should I use the 10k race time from over Christmas when getting my paces for the grads plan, rather than a PB from end Sept..?

My reluctance comes from knowing it means a much slower very easy pace :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

It's your most recent race so would be a better indication of where you are currently. I'll be using my Jingle Bells time myself

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I probably know the answer to this already, but should I use the 10k race time from over Christmas when getting my paces for the grads plan, rather than a PB from end Sept..?

My reluctance comes from knowing it means a much slower very easy pace :rolleyes:

Most recent PB would be my choice as it indicates current level of fitness.

• Advertisement

Rossi7 wrote:
    It's your most recent race so would be a better indication of where you are currently. I'll be using my Jingle Bells time myself

OOnegative wrote:
    Most recent PB would be my choice as it indicates current level of fitness.

The answers I didn't want! Ah no, makes sense alright... I'll just need to get back to where I was so I can readjust the paces again I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

The answers I didn't want! Ah no, makes sense alright... I'll just need to get back to where I was so I can readjust the paces again I guess

I was just going to say that. After a few weeks of training, if you do a race you’ll find your paces will probably change. I thought the paces were very slow at the start but you feel it in some of the sessions - especially the CV, AP and VO2 stuff. If they are too fast for you you’d have some job doing the sessions.

I have another question :)

With the hill workouts;
    1. how steep a hill is needed? Using that hill in DCM at Milltown as an example (near the Spar), about that steepness, or more? or less?
    2. do you run them fairly flat out? but bearing in mind you want all 8 at the same pace, or more like 5k/10k pace?

That is all... for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

With the hill workouts;
    1. how steep a hill is needed? Using that hill in DCM at Milltown as an example (near the Spar), about that steepness, or more? or less?
    2. do you run them fairly flat out? but bearing in mind you want all 8 at the same pace, or more like 5k/10k pace?

That is all... for now.

1. The ideal gradient is about 6%. I'm not sure about the hill in Milltown...everything felt tough after 20 miles, even the rumble strips. The Khyber road in the Phoenix Park is a good example.

2. About 3/5k pace but pace is less important than good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

With the hill workouts;

That is all... for now.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    1. The ideal gradient is about 6%. I'm not sure about the hill in Milltown...everything felt tough after 20 miles, even the rumble strips. The Khyber road in the Phoenix Park is a good example.

2. About 3/5k pace but pace is less important than good form.

I use this link that Skyblue gave me at once stage to calculate gradient on hills to see if they are any good. https://onthegomap.com/#/create

Kellygirl wrote:
    I use this link that Skyblue gave me at once stage to calculate gradient on hills to see if they are any good.

Cheers K! Will check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:

And if there's less of a gradient that that just go faster! But always focusing on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hello everyone. Been awol from here for what seems like an eternity.

I don't even know where to start. In short, my progress with the Base plan was cut short before Christmas due to a hectic schedule. Managed a few 10k runs and a handful of Park Runs during the holidays but will start over with the base plan again from tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a nice relaxing Christmas!!!

Apologies folks, was home in Ireland the past week and my phone reception was very very patchy. All those targeting the Raheny 5 should have there teeth well into training at this stage? What is the plan for others?

• Advertisement

It's full-steam ahead for me for Raheny. I tried out a running club last night and think I'd like to join. I assume it's okay to swap the Wednesday session on the Grads 5-10k plan for whatever session the club is doing on a Tuesday? So, club session on a Tuesday but follow the plan for the rest of the week?

Advertisement