Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

OOnegative wrote: »
    Anyone racing Jingle Bells on Saturday?

I said to my OH no more races until next year, but I may have accidentally entered. I have a bib at any rate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

juke wrote: »
    I said to my OH no more races until next year, but I may have accidentally entered. I have a bib at any rate ;)

Go run it so if you have a bib, himself will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yep and looking forward to it. Kind of.

Huzzah! wrote: »

PB chasing?

PB chasing?

Might as well. Not feeling super sharp/fit but going to go out at PB pace and keep my fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Might as well. Not feeling super sharp/fit but going to go out at PB pace and keep my fingers crossed.

Good, hope it goes well for you. It’s a super quick route & last km or more is crazy fast.

Go run it so if you have a bib, himself will understand.

As long as he doesn't have to be cheering me on :pac:

Well, you have been doing solid training and now you know your max heart rate is even higher than you thought, you can push even harder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Do you mean racing as in just turning up and trotting around just to get the mug than yes I'll be going flat out
    Cheers for taking us on OO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

For the training paces, I checked mine based on a parkrun last weekend, and also the HM I completed during DCM training. The advised paces based off both races are within a second or two of each other, so I'm very happy to go with those. The easy and very easy paces are so slow! I thought I was going slow, but jeez, these seem glacial!!

A couple of questions I had as I plan the year ahead:
    1 - Should I go straight from the base building plan into the 5/10km plan, or leave a week or two in between? Or does it really matter?
    2 - How should I adjust the plan to fit in the odd race mid-plan? Just have the race replace a session, or pause the plan for a week?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    For the training paces, I checked mine based on a parkrun last weekend, and also the HM I completed during DCM training. The advised paces based off both races are within a second or two of each other, so I'm very happy to go with those. The easy and very easy paces are so slow! I thought I was going slow, but jeez, these seem glacial!!

A couple of questions I had as I plan the year ahead:
    1 - Should I go straight from the base building plan into the 5/10km plan, or leave a week or two in between? Or does it really matter?
    2 - How should I adjust the plan to fit in the odd race mid-plan? Just have the race replace a session, or pause the plan for a week?

1. Go straight into the plan from the base building, no need to take a break in between.
    2. Yip, replace the session for the race is exactly what i’d do. If doing that make sure there is plenty of recovery between the race and session the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

Huge well done Juke taking on the setting up of the Grads Thread and OON giving us some wisdom along the way :D, right now I need something to get me back in the running game!

A: What are your next goals?
    To be honest firstly to get back running, have gone completely off the boil since DCM and strangely enough I'm not missing it one little bit!!! So I need to get my ass in gear. Second goal is to get over my hate of races and sign up for a few, a friend trying to persuade me to do Trim 10 mile and Mullingar half. I'm also hovering on the DCM 2019 sign up, would love to as really enjoyed this year but all my training buddies are refusing so it would be a completely different experience training solo. Every time the number of entries clicks down I panic :rolleyes:

B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    Working up to starting the Grads base plan over the next week or 2. We got so lucky with our training for DCM that I need to get back to embracing the wind and rain. Also need to get back to my gym twice a week for S&C and try and fit in some pilates! Gave these more or less up last summer and really felt my marathon would have benefited if I had kept them up.

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?
    To have completed more than 3 races (thats all i did this year) and if I do sign up to DCM to aim for 4.30 and knock 7 mins off this years time.

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »

To have completed more than 3 races (thats all i did this year) and if I do sign up to DCM to aim for 4.30 and knock 7 mins off this years time.

As our race times and paces were quite similar, I followed your training for DCM quite closely. I think you could target a quicker time than 4.30 for DCM 2019, particularly if you followed a plan for the shorter distances in the first half of the year and were able to achieve your first goal of racing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck to everyone racing JB at the weekend. I hope there's loads of PBs :)

Best of luck to all racing this morning folks, will keep an eye on results here in Holland.

Lots of successes this morning, so I’ll get my tale of woe In first.m. A full 2 minutes slower than my PB, which was set at JB last year. I ran as fast as I could and never gave up, so at least I can use the time for the training paces. Every cloud, eh?

Lots of successes this morning, so I’ll get my tale of woe In first.m. A full 2 minutes slower than my PB, which was set at JB last year. I ran as fast as I could and never gave up, so at least I can use the time for the training paces. Every cloud, eh?

Not every race is going to go the way you want, you gave the best you had today so don’t feel to despondent, move on and leave it there. It’s a quality session in your legs if nothing else.

Not every race is going to go the way you want, you gave the best you had today so don’t feel to despondent, move on and leave it there. It’s a quality session in your legs if nothing else.

Nope and I knew it was a cheeky punt off the back of very little training recently, so I can’t be disappointed. I didn’t have anything left at the end, so I’m happy that I didn’t give up. Onwards!

There'll be faster days, Huzzah!

I had a good race, a PB by about 30 seconds, I think (set in 2011 :o). I took over 2 minutes off my only 5k this year, a parkrun in March.

Great to have new paces to train against.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Have been totally slammed with work so only getting to read through this now and posting. Thanks to juke for getting the thread started and to ooneg for helping. Did Jingle Bells today and I suppose that has me think about the next step etc. Bit disappointed after today. Got a PB but was a good bit off my goal....

I'm going to try to get a little faster over the start of 2019

Am basically just in a holding pattern at the mo... Think if I do roughly 30m per week I'll end the yr with 1500miles which I would be pretty chuffed with. Its a little bit of motivation anyway to keep up the running.... But, I had 4goals at the start of the yr, I've achieved them all except my 5k goal so am tempted to try to put in a bit of speed work over the next few weeks and trying for another PB at a park run or another 5k....

Still running anyway... Other times when I started running I always did a race and then did nothing and would have to start from scratch all over again. If I can build running into my life, and get to a place where running is just a given that would be a great outcome.

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Have been totally slammed with work so only getting to read through this now and posting. Thanks to juke for getting the thread started and to ooneg for helping. Did Jingle Bells today and I suppose that has me think about the next step etc. Bit disappointed after today. Got a PB but was a good bit off my goal....

I'm going to try to get a little faster over the start of 2019

Am basically just in a holding pattern at the mo... Think if I do roughly 30m per week I'll end the yr with 1500miles which I would be pretty chuffed with. Its a little bit of motivation anyway to keep up the running.... But, I had 4goals at the start of the yr, I've achieved them all except my 5k goal so am tempted to try to put in a bit of speed work over the next few weeks and trying for another PB at a park run or another 5k....

Still running anyway... Other times when I started running I always did a race and then did nothing and would have to start from scratch all over again. If I can build running into my life, and get to a place where running is just a given that would be a great outcome.

Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day is another quick one if you can stay disciplined over Silly Season!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day is another quick one if you can stay disciplined over Silly Season!!!

Hmmmmm...... Sounds interesting!!!! Is that technically next Yr??? Could I count it in my 2018 goals! Sure what diff would 1 day make......

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I am very happy with my jingle bells race. I started a full 3 and half minutes late as had to queue for the loo :O But this meant I probably went out faster than I usually would trying to catch up with everyone. I was breathing heavy straight away but managed to keep up the pace and ran as fast as my breathing allowed. Body felt good. I bet my best 5k time from earlier this year by a minute and half. But my overall pb from years ago is still far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done to everyone who raced yesterday! Some serious amounts taken off recent times for some people. But who cares about times, you were all only in it for the mug right?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

As our race times and paces were quite similar, I followed your training for DCM quite closely. I think you could target a quicker time than 4.30 for DCM 2019, particularly if you followed a plan for the shorter distances in the first half of the year and were able to achieve your first goal of racing more.

Have you been talking to my husband?? Glad someone has more faith in me...than me!!! Good on you doing Jingle Bells, I just couldn't face it! At least you are back running and racing!!

I've just this second signed up to DCM 19 so that is the kickstart I needed. :D
    Need to peruse other races now to get me motivated and moving!!

Well done to all doing Jingle Bells sounds like good going only a month after the marathon. Hope you are all chuffed, better than us that have morphed into lard asses!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    Have you been talking to my husband?? Glad someone has more faith in me...than me!!! Good on you doing Jingle Bells, I just couldn't face it! At least you are back running and racing!!

I've just this second signed up to DCM 19 so that is the kickstart I needed. :D
    Need to peruse other races now to get me motivated and moving!!

Well done to all doing Jingle Bells sounds like good going only a month after the marathon. Hope you are all chuffed, better than us that have morphed into lard asses!! :rolleyes:

Congrats on entering :) You would be more than capable of going less than 4:30. With decent training to achieve shorter distance goals it will come to you. And it doesn't take long to get back into the swing of things, only last 2 weeks have I started running regularly and only doing 10 miles per week.

Well done to all Graduates who raced or PB’d this week. For those who raced, take it handy for first half of the week before you do anything fast paced again.

Silly season is upon us, don’t feel guilty if ye miss runs over this period, you gave enough sacrifice over marathon training to feel bad. Let the hair down if needs be, it’s been well earned. But come this day next month ye all better be on the dry like me!!! Well done folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Sooooo.......this week did not turn out as planned.

Missed two out of five runs, one of them being a 90 minute easy run yesterday.

What I'm a battling a little with is whether to:

a) continue on with the base plan, as if nothing happened

b) start again

c) wait till the new year

I'll be 100% honest and say that I am very tempted to keep on going, despite missing out on a couple of runs this week, only because of the training I already have behind me. But that may very well be me clutching at straws.......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    Sooooo.......this week did not turn out as planned.

Missed two out of five runs, one of them being a 90 minute easy run yesterday.

What I'm a battling a little with is whether to:

a) continue on with the base plan, as if nothing happened

b) start again

c) wait till the new year

I'll be 100% honest and say that I am very tempted to keep on going, despite missing out on a couple of runs this week, only because of the training I already have behind me. But that may very well be me clutching at straws.......:confused:

That's grand. Just stay on the plan. Don't chase lost miles. You're moving from sacrificing everything for DCM to incorporating running into your life. Allow for missed runs particularly at this time of the year.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's grand. Just stay on the plan. Don't chase lost miles. You're moving from sacrificing everything for DCM to incorporating running into your life. Allow for missed runs particularly at this time of the year.

Thanks for that...I had a fear I'd have a groundhog moment for week 2 for the next month :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply S.

I think motivation may be a little on the low side but I'm sure that will pick up once I start entering races in the New Year.......have my eye on a handful already

Advertisement