Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Can you do your session Wednesday? In my opinion it’s doesn’t make much difference, as long as you have a 2/3 day gap before the race in which to recover and be fresh for your race.

Great, thanks :) I'm the world's best over thinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

With Raheny & Trim done and dusted, anybody care to divulge what lies ahead now? Many sign up for DCM? Applegirl is in middle of marathon training already, fair play!! Huzzah has unfinished business this weekend in Enniscorthy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

With Raheny & Trim done and dusted, anybody care to divulge what lies ahead now? Many sign up for DCM? Applegirl is in middle of marathon training already, fair play!! Huzzah has unfinished business this weekend in Enniscorthy!!

I read that you should target 2, maybe 3 races as your 'A' goals for a year, so that's what I've done. The second one of those is DCM and the first is the Annerville 10km in May. I'll start into the 5k/10k grads plan (from Wk 2) next week which will take me up to that 10km race.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I read that you should target 2, maybe 3 races as your 'A' goals for a year, so that's what I've done. The second one of those is DCM and the first is the Annerville 10km in May. I'll start into the 5k/10k grads plan (from Wk 2) next week which will take me up to that 10km race.

Annerville? Tipperary I think? Yeah that’s a solid plan alright, that gives you a decent gap between goal 10k race before getting into DCM prep. Keep the injuries at bay Dude and you’ll have a great year going on Dungarvan.

Annerville? Tipperary I think? Yeah that’s a solid plan alright, that gives you a decent gap between goal 10k race before getting into DCM prep. Keep the injuries at bay Dude and you’ll have a great year going on Dungarvan.

Yep, Clonmel. Cheers. I'll have plenty more races as I go along, but those two will be the main focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Still feeling it post trim but It’s bohermeen, Belfast, some DCM race series and then DCM for me! Handy really!!!
    Really starting to enjoy the grads basic plan right now.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Still feeling it post trim but It’s bohermeen, Belfast, some DCM race series and then DCM for me! Handy really!!!
    Really starting to enjoy the grads basic plan right now.

Yip, sensible spacing marathons out the way you are, May to October should leave you adequate recovery time between the two. Racing both?

Yip, sensible spacing marathons out the way you are, May to October should leave you adequate recovery time between the two. Racing both?

Well, the plan in my head is clear so hopefully it works out. Finished outside where I wanted to at DCM ‘18, (4:23-included a few walks as quads flared-up at mile 17) so my plan is 4:10/15 in Belfast and if plans and training works out- another attempt at getting 3:59. But certainly not nailed on to that. Finished Trim in 87mins.

Well, the plan in my head is clear so hopefully it works out. Finished outside where I wanted to at DCM ‘18, (4:23-included a few walks as quads flared-up at mile 17) so my plan is 4:10/15 in Belfast and if plans and training works out- another attempt at getting 3:59. But certainly not nailed on to that. Finished Trim in 87mins.

Stay injury free and continue the progress, no reason sub 4 should not be on come DCM. Keep training within the times your racing and you should see improvement upon improvement but listen to the body to. Apologies didn’t realise you raced Trim also, i’m slipping a bit!!

Stay injury free and continue the progress, no reason sub 4 should not be on come DCM. Keep training within the times your racing and you should see improvement upon improvement but listen to the body to. Apologies didn’t realise you raced Trim also, i’m slipping a bit!!

Thanks appreciate the advice- I’ve been mostly dipping in and out here- will try post more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

My first step back is to loose the stone that I put on while on steroids! I’m back training now, my speed is yet to come back but I’m happy enough with my progress.
    I’ve signed up for the Superhero 10k in Kill on Sunday 17th, then I hope to start the half-marathon training plan to get me to the Wexford half.
    I have signed up for DCM, I’ll see how training goes between now and July before I decide 100% if I’ll do it this year or sell back my number. I have a time in mind and I’m not going to do it unless I’m 100% sure I can achieve it.

Yep - Enniscorthy on Sunday. MSB will be my goal race for this cycle. I've signed up for DCM and am already looking at a goal race for the middle part of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

DCM is my main target this year so hopefully knock a big chunk off my 4.05 from last year and I'll either target the Race Series 10k or 10m in the lead up. I've signed up with a club and most recent race was Raheny, I went around in 33.51 so bodes well for the year ahead if I can stay injury free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well, I'll be finished the Base plan at the end of next week. Was planning on leaving it a week before starting the 10k-half marathon plan but I really want to do the Bohermeen half and that'll be here before I know it so I'll keep motoring.

Will more than likely do the Great Ireland Run again this year too.

I loved the Ratoath Half last year so I was thinking if i did that again (mid September), it would space things out nicely. Perhaps a10 mile race during the Summer, well see.

Oh, and I've signed up for DCM too. More than a score to settle there.........

Rossi7 wrote: »
    DCM is my main target this year so hopefully knock a big chunk off my 4.05 from last year and I'll either target the Race Series 10k or 10m in the lead up. I've signed up with a club and most recent race was Raheny, I went around in 33.51 so bodes well for the year ahead if I can stay injury free

Stay injury free as you say, going off that Raheny time you should take a big chunk off last year’s DCM result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm spending far too much time looking around for races at the moment - the bug has returned :D Nothing decided yet though, except that I'd like to do Terenure 5 in May. But hopefully a decent few 5ks and 10ks between now and June. I set a goal of doing about 1 per month but it's harder than I thought to find dates/locations that suit.
    After that I'm considering Charleville as a goal for later in the year!

eyrie wrote: »
    I'm spending far too much time looking around for races at the moment - the bug has returned :D Nothing decided yet though, except that I'd like to do Terenure 5 in May. But hopefully a decent few 5ks and 10ks between now and June. I set a goal of doing about 1 per month but it's harder than I thought to find dates/locations that suit.

I'm kind of in the same boat as far as deciding what races to do goes.
    Want to make sure I stay on shape to make it through the training plans (relatively) unscathed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I am doing the London Landmarks Half Marathon on the 24th of March. A 5k at the end of March, 5k end of April, 10k middle of May, 10k middle of June and will then focus on the Race Series, 10k in July, 10 mile in August and the Half in September. That Half is my main goal for the year as I want to improve my time from last year. No DCM this year.

coogy wrote: »
    I'm kind of in the same boat as far as deciding what races to do goes.
    Want to make sure I stay on shape to make it through the training plans (relatively) unscathed!!
    What are you thinking of? I'd say don't be afraid to do a few anyway, the whole point of the training is to race better!

The other race I've thought about as a bit of a target is the Day of Irish PB's. The date (14/07) works really well for those doing DCM, and I've heard good reports on last years, so something to consider maybe.

• Advertisement

It really is, isn't it? I'm struggling to find a half that suits in June.

I think I might do Terenure 5, Bob Heffernan and maybe the KClub 10k. All likely to change as it gets closer!

What are you thinking of? I'd say don't be afraid to do a few anyway, the whole point of the training is to race better!

Well, apart from the ones I mentioned above, I don't really know. Keen to do a few shorter races too.

Going to Portugal for 2 weeks in July on hols so looks like it'll be another running holiday!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The other race I've thought about as a bit of a target is the Day of Irish PB's.  The date (14/07) works really well for those doing DCM, and I've heard good reports on last years, so something to consider maybe.
    Yeah I'd like to give that a go too, being pulled along by a better calibre of runner will hopefully give me a PB. Tallaght AC 5k is on in May so that will give me a time to aim for in July

coogy wrote: »
    Well, apart from the ones I mentioned above, I don't really know. Keen to do a few shorter races too.

Going to Portugal for 2 weeks in July on hols so looks like it'll be another running holiday!
    Oops, missed your earlier post! Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd like to give that a go too, being pulled along by a better calibre of runner will hopefully give me a PB. Tallaght AC 5k is on in May so that will give me a time to aim for in July

Is it Tallaght that you joined?

Yes mate

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Nice to read everyone's plans for the year.

I'm targeting a local 10k at the start of April - hoping to shave a little of my PB for this, doing a 10k in two weeks to get a sense of where I'm at currently.

Have signed up for the Dublin marathon and will hopefully do a half in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Good to see so many going for another crack at DCM and other marathons!

I had great intentions of following one of the plans from this forum but I hadn't got into one just yet. I've been running consistently though (150 odd miles in Jan) and I think I can run decent times (for me) if I keep going.

Next race is Bohermeen which I'm aiming to try take 5 mins off my HM PB.
    I did Trim last weekend and although I wasn't overly happy with my time, it's given me confidence that I can sustain a certain pace for a HM which would bring me around the 1:40 mark, my PB is 1:44:45

Plan to race Dunshaughlin 10K again in June and possibly another 10 miler & HM before DCM in October.

Hi OOnegative,
    Just looking to make sure I am in fact training correctly for my goals- I plugged in my goal time of Marathon 4:10 to the pacing calculator when I began the basic grads plan, am I correct or am I undercooking my training times as Trim was 87mins....should I be readjusting training times? Or as is the norm I am overthinking this :rolleyes:

and just to add....I finished trim with very little left in the tank if I am honest!

• Advertisement

Hi OOnegative,
    Just looking to make sure I am in fact training correctly for my goals- I plugged in my goal time of Marathon 4:10 to the pacing calculator when I began the basic grads plan, am I correct or am I undercooking my training times as Trim was 87mins....should I be readjusting training times? Or as is the norm I am overthinking this :rolleyes:

and just to add....I finished trim with very little left in the tank if I am honest!

You should use the most recent one.

Advertisement