Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just watched the TUV party political broadcast on BBC. It was so bad it was good, like something from a comedy skit. Anyone catch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Stephen15 wrote:
    Ile be voting for Hermann Kelly or Ben Gilroy unfortunately neither are likely to win but they're the only two who will stand up to the political elite. I don't support Irexit if given a choice I'd vote for the National Party but Irexit appear to be the only party that will feed candidates who are anti mass immigration which I am against strongly. I wish there was a party like the League in Italy with a leader like Salvini.

For anyone thinking of voting for someone like Ben Gilroy. Go to the legal forum and go to the freeman megathread. He is one of the people that provides fuel for the thread. The guy is a conman who takes advantage of vulnerable people with his own brand of quackery and leaves them in a far far worse position.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it tomorrow that the posters can be put up? Gavan Reilly clarifies that it is indeed tonight, from midnight onwards:

http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1120721134738190336

Good few of the local election candidates have posters up this evening. I guess they know the litter warden won't be around tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

It would be ideal, but the problem is that the Greens, Lib Dems and CHUK are all practically level, making it impossible for Remainers to assess how to vote tactically, even by region.

The U.K. (bar NI) uses a Closed Party List PR system for the EP elections. Voters make a single mark on their ballot for the Party (List) they prefer. There is no option to vote tactically after doing that.

Under that system, votes for each party (list) are them counted. The party with the most votes gets the first seat, their vote is then divided by (1 + the number of seats they have had elected; ie 1 + 1 in the first count).

After that is done, the party with the most votes in the adjusted count gets the second seat, their vote is then divided using the above formula (again by 2 if it’s another party or, less likely, by 3 if it’s the same party as before). The fill, then divide procedure repeats until all seats are filled (typically 5 or 6 per region).

In practice, Closed List PR favours the two parties that poll the highest, much like STV has typically favoured the two larger parties here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

PeadarCo wrote: »
    For anyone thinking of voting for someone like Ben Gilroy ... The guy is a conman who takes advantage of vulnerable people with his own brand of quackery and leaves them in a far far worse position.

I don't think that's entirely fair - it's possible that the man is not a conman, and is genuinely deranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

man98 wrote: »
    (Wallace)Economically and socially he's populist, but also takes classic libertarian positions on most issues (not that he'd be seen dead near the likes of Together for Yes.) It is exactly this that sets him apart from the clientele-ist gombeen politics across the country and it is exactly this that will see him come close to taking a seat in Ireland South. He's a loose cannon, but quite the opposite of a cute hoor.

You admit he defrauded his own workers and the state when his business failed, but then he leveraged the mess into a Dáil seat as if he was the victim - all with a brass neck. He is the definition of a cute hoor.

He's just an Independent gombeen rather than a FG/FF party gombeen, but he gets votes from the "At least he's our gombeen" folks who admire cute hoors, same as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

is_that_so wrote: »
    The old Oscar Wilde maxim at work - There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. As expected though more off the cuff ... eh policies.

He is desperately trying to light the magic touchpaper that got him on a bandwagon last time out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What do you think the Social Democrats’ candidate in Dublin, Gary Gannon’s chances are in the European elections? He is currently a City Councillor and I really like his policies on housing, health, drugs and education.

Plus he’s very easy on the eye. :D

I see FitzGerald getting re-elected no bother. After that, it’s an open contest but Daly should do well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What do you think the Social Democrats’ candidate in Dublin, Gary Gannon’s chances are in the European elections? He is currently a City Councillor and I really like his policies on housing, health, drugs and education.

I see FitzGerald getting re-elected no bother. After that, it’s an open contest but Daly should do well.

Before Daly entered the ring, the fourth seat was very likely to be down to exclusion order between him, Cuffe and White. Now it's anyone's guess.

An MEP can't do bog all on any of those policy areas though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭MFPM

JupiterKid wrote: »

He's running against the wishes of the SD leadership, he'll do OK but he won't be in the runnng for a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

murphaph wrote: »
    It's one of the few things that makes me proud to be Irish that we don't have such parties.

Only because the people are ignorant and don't see migration as an issue. Look at Italy parts of the country are overrun with migrants from sub-saharan Africa who contribute absolutely nothing to the country. They don't work and spend most the day hanging around railway intimatidating passers by or on the beach selling worthless trinkets.

They dump they're rubbish everywhere and make the place look like a ghetto they are not working in any sort of meaningful jobs. It's only taken for it to come to that stage before the electorate have woken up and finally for common sense parties like the League and Salvini. I dont want that happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Only because the people are ignorant and don't see migration as an issue. Look at Italy parts of the country are overrun with migrants from sub-saharan Africa who contribute absolutely nothing to the country. They don't work and spend most the day hanging around railway intimatidating passers by or on the beach selling worthless trinkets.

They dump they're rubbish everywhere and make the place look like a ghetto they are not working in any sort of meaningful jobs. It's only taken for it to come to that stage before the electorate have woken up and finally for common sense parties like the League and Salvini. I dont want that happening here.

And as David McWilliams famously quipped, we're the last country in Europe whose major influx of immigrants remains white, Christian and European - some Africans and Muslims, but by and large the cultural similarities have made integration comparatively easier to the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

And as David McWilliams famously quipped, we're the last country in Europe whose major influx of immigrants remains white, Christian and European - some Africans and Muslims, but by and large the cultural similarities have made integration comparatively easier to the rest of Europe.

Not going to be the case for too much longer unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

You admit he defrauded his own workers and the state when his business failed, but then he leveraged the mess into a Dáil seat as if he was the victim - all with a brass neck. He is the definition of a cute hoor.

He's just an Independent gombeen rather than a FG/FF party gombeen, but he gets votes from the "At least he's our gombeen" folks who admire cute hoors, same as the others.

Wallace is a gombeen, but not one that is comparable to the Healy Raes et al - he doesn't promise to do anything for the people, and will not bend over backwards for anyone but himself - this is why he lost so many votes. He was not elected for parish pump issues, rather the sort of issues which should be what dominates Irish elections. However, he is absolutely not the person to do it and has not done in properly. Wallace purports to drain the same metaphoric swamp as Trump but his issue is that he is the swamp (as is Trump, but that's beside the point). I don't like charlatans, but he's a whole different kind of charlatan to the like of Lowry or Healy Raes.

Wallace is a gombeen, but not one that is comparable to the Healy Raes et al - he doesn't promise to do anything for the people, and will not bend over backwards for anyone but himself - this is why he lost so many votes. He was not elected for parish pump issues, rather the sort of issues which should be what dominates Irish elections. However, he is absolutely not the person to do it and has not done in properly. Wallace purports to drain the same metaphoric swamp as Trump but his issue is that he is the swamp (as is Trump, but that's beside the point). I don't like charlatans, but he's a whole different kind of charlatan to the like of Lowry or Healy Raes.

He's far from a 'gombeen' and to label him as such is frankly dishonest.

Where and when did he purport to drain the 'swamp' - once again a dishonest characterisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is there a way to sticky a post at the top of the thread to list the runners and riders please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

MFPM wrote: »
    He's far from a 'gombeen' and to label him as such is frankly dishonest.

Where and when did he purport to drain the 'swamp' - once again a dishonest characterisation.

His posters in 2016 literally said 'No more ties' on them when he has more shady dealings than a Kinihan on day release. Look at his campaign videos, his statements, anything - how can someone so instilled as an establishment figure masquerade as the rogue his videos show him to be is beyond me. If you look at the billboard he has outside his soccer pitch - 'Welcome NAMA land' meanwhile he's partying with half of NAMA'S finest developers. But no, he's never tried to make himself into an us versus them anti establishment figure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more of the gombeen/charlatan stuff please. It is not welcome here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

His posters in 2016 literally said 'No more ties' on them when he has more shady dealings than a Kinihan on day release. Look at his campaign videos, his statements, anything - how can someone so instilled as an establishment figure masquerade as the rogue his videos show him to be is beyond me. If you look at the billboard he has outside his soccer pitch - 'Welcome NAMA land' meanwhile he's partying with half of NAMA'S finest developers. But no, he's never tried to make himself into an us versus them anti establishment figure.
    His posters in 2016 literally said 'No more ties' on them when he has more shady dealings than a Kinihan on day release.

That's actually outrageous and quite defaming but you're safe behind your anonymity. If you wish to PM me your name and details I'll be happy to pass them to Deputy Wallace.
    Look at his campaign videos, his statements, anything - how can someone so instilled as an establishment figure masquerade as the rogue his videos show him to be is beyond me. If you look at the billboard he has outside his soccer pitch - 'Welcome NAMA land' meanwhile he's partying with half of NAMA'S finest developers.

This is just ad hominem and dishonest at that. Wallace has exposed significant activities regarding issues in NAMA and how they operate, many of them further developed by Frank Connolly in his book.

As for 'his partying with Nama's finest developers' - perhaps you could be more specific, who, when and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wallace's work on exposing corruption in the State and Guards have ensured his position as one of the best TDs in decades.

I'm no fan if his but credit where it is due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Danzy wrote: »
    Wallace's work on exposing corruption in the State and Guards have ensured his position as one of the best TDs in decades.

I'm no fan if his but credit where it is due.

No fan either, but he and a few others have done the state a huge service tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No idea if he'll do it but ill give Casey my no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Flyer in from Eamonn Murphy today. I doubt even Iona would fund this level of nuttiness.

Gemma O’Doherty, Ben Gilroy and the rest look positively sane in comparison.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Flyer in from Eamonn Murphy today. I doubt even Iona would fund this level of nuttiness.

Post the flyer, this i want to see

I’m not giving the vile specimen the publicity.

To sum up - abortion causes breast cancer, and is a conspiracy being forced upon us by the IMF and UN to control population

A few foetus pictures on the flyer as well

Surprised An Post didn’t refuse to deliver it tbh

I’m not giving the vile specimen the publicity.

To sum up - abortion causes breast cancer, and is a conspiracy being forced upon us by the IMF and UN to control population

A few foetus pictures on the flyer as well

Surprised An Post didn’t refuse to deliver it tbh

Looked again this morning - it appears this is the cretin behind some of the fake crisis pregnancy websites from earlier this year.

https://www.thejournal.ie/eamonn-murphy-hse-abortion-court-4518987-Mar2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All of the no-hopers in these elections have wised up to how much publicity being in a national election can generate for their various causes. Expect more of them at GE time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its absolutely fvcking disgusting bile, we got one in yesterday too.

The likes of Gemma, Gilroy et all are just manic ignorant conspiracy theorists but after reading that flyer im of the opinion Eamon Murphy is properly EVIL

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its absolutely fvcking disgusting bile, we got one in yesterday too.

The likes of Gemma, Gilroy et all are just manic ignorant conspiracy theorists but after reading that flyer im of the opinion Eamon Murphy is properly EVIL

Gemma is her own kind of crazy on multi issues , but similar enough to rita harrold on the intensely pro abortion mental side , murphy on the violently anti side these are all single issue candidates making a non EU MEP issue their entire platform for getting to europe. I hope the all fail miserably and don’t recover costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Advertisement